Vincent Kompany | Bayern Munich Manager (Sack watch? Nein)

What annoyed me about Burnley was that they spent money to give it a go…and then didn’t.

It was clear after about 10 games that it wasn’t working and he just did the same thing over and over, never once looking like they might stay up all season long.

I mean, obviously, it could work with better players, but watching someone doing that over and over until relegation was confirmed would not make me want to pay 12 million to have them.

There is a good chance he'd a success. His plays a good of style of football, can command respect being a top player in his day and Leverkusen won't have a similar season again. Bayern will surely spend to strengthen their position. Lot of things are in his favor.

can command respect being a top player in his day

I really doubt he can command respect in that toxic Bayern dressing room when much more reputed managers couldn't.

I mean Neuer is literally older than him and also had a more accomplished career as a player.

Everyone also knows that he was like the 9th choice for Bayern's manager and is only there because so many managers rejected Bayern.

Leverkusen won't have a similar season again.

They don't even need to have a similar season. They can be slightly off and still beat this version of Bayern.

He must pinch himself constantly to make sure this isn't all a dream. In between laughing all the way to the bank.
When he got hired, i thought he might be in over his head. Even without looking at the "top club - no margin for errors" thing, current Bayern is no easy club for a manager and the situation is not ideal.
After watching him since he arrived, i'd give him a fighting chance for success. Also if i were a player, i'd run twice as fast for him out of sheer gratitude he isn't Ragnick :D

Last edited:
When he got hired, i thought he might be in over his head. Even without looking at the "top club - no margin for errors" thing, current Bayern is no easy club for a manager and the situation is not ideal.
After watching him since he arrived, i'd give him a fighting chance for success. Also if i were a player, i'd run twice as fast for him out of sheer gratitude he isn't Ragnick :D

Kompany is a better coach than Ralf?

Bayern do this frequently, FC Rottach-Egern are an Amateur club.
14-1 this year
27-0 last year
23-0 19/20
20-2 18/19

Bayern do this frequently, FC Rottach-Egern are an Amateur club.
14-1 this year
27-0 last year
23-0 19/20
20-2 18/19

Why do Rottach even agree to play them? Do they like getting smashed by Bayern?

Well I imagine most amateur players would love the chance to play against one of the biggest teams in the world.
I imagine there’s a decent financial incentive for the club as well.

Did he leave his cap in Burnley? He won't be successful if not

They get all the money from tickets and Bayern usually donate kits.
I think it's a nice annual thing to do and even if you get hammered, imagine being able to say to your mates that you played against those Bayern players.

They get all the money from tickets and Bayern usually donate kits.
I think it's a nice annual thing to do and even if you get hammered, imagine being able to say to your mates that you played against those Bayern players.

Imagine being the player who scored for them? He’ll be dining out on that for years!

Kompany is a better coach than Ralf?
we will see? Rangnicks playstyle would not have been very "Bayern DNA" and, like Tuchel, he is a coach who wants to be the man in power and doesnt react well to criticism.
My judgement of Kompany is based on the kind of personality he seems to be, based on his first few press conferences and video shorts from training. I can be wrong, but he seems to be highly motivated, confident, have a positive attitude.

Last edited:
:lol:

So it's like us playing Wythenshawe Amateurs? What's the point?

...Wythy Amateurs might have a chance against us mind
They always have their training camp in the Bavarian Alps and just play the local village at the end of it.

Also, going up against some mountain farmers is probably an ideal prep for the Bundesliga.

It's a light hearted kick around early in pre season that helps support a small amateur team. Not everything needs to be hyper serious.

Here, I called it - Bayern is not winning the league, again, this year.

Not sure what the Bayern board was doing appointing Kompany who clearly doesn't have enough experience to be a manager at that level

Not sure what the Bayern board was doing appointing Kompany who clearly doesn't have enough experience to be a manager at that level
Hasn’t stopped Xabi Alonso, Pep or dozens of others from being successful.

Hasn’t stopped Xabi Alonso, Pep or dozens of others from being successful.
I don't think there's much similarity in Pep's story and Bayern hiring Kompany. Yes, Pep had never managed a big club before, but he was a product of Barca, and was promoted within Barca. Quite different

As for Xabi Alonso, Leverkusen is a much smaller club who could afford to gamble on him (what do they have to lose?) and sometimes you will win a lottery. Why is Bayern, one of the biggest clubs in the world, gambling on a manager like a small club would?

Kompany has learned a trick or two from Roberto Martinez. I'm expecting Martinez to be elected as US president later this year.

The problem is that Kompany has had experience and it's getting Burnley relegated. For people arguing for Pep and Xabi, I can't speak for Pep since football news was not as active at that time but Xabi was highly sought after even a couple of years before he joined Bayer, so there was an understanding that he was a good manager within the profession.

For Kompany, it's literally Bayern scrapping the bottom of the barrel after exhausting all other options, even trying to convince Tuchel to come back. So even Bayern don't rate him that highly.

It's a quite frequent practice here in Poland as well. Traditionally you build your stamina & strength over a winter break book camp and you repeat that in the first week of summer.. This game must have been their first game after a week or so of hard, physical gym work (plus extend runs in the mountains). It's meant to eas them into more football related training and relax them a bit.

Last edited:
The problem is that Kompany has had experience and it's getting Burnley relegated. For people arguing for Pep and Xabi, I can't speak for Pep since football news was not as active at that time but Xabi was highly sought after even a couple of years before he joined Bayer, so there was an understanding that he was a good manager within the profession.

For Kompany, it's literally Bayern scrapping the bottom of the barrel after exhausting all other options, even trying to convince Tuchel to come back. So even Bayern don't rate him that highly.
100%

Which clubs tried to get him? The only confirmed interest I heard of was from Gladbach - the DoF at this point in time as Max Eberl, coincidently the same person who has signed Kompany now.

That aside, Kompany's CV is eerily similar to Alonso's before he joined us. Take over a club in a lower league, get it promoted and immediately relegated again. Only that Kompany did it in Championship and EPL while Alonso in Segunda Division B and Segunda Division, meaning that Kompany's achievements are arguably superior to Alonso's at the same point in time.

Kompany is obviously a bit of an unknown capacity, just like Alonso was. But I prefer those coaches to the save and riskaverse picks. Better sack three coaches who turn out to be bad and then find an excellent one than settling for mediocrity.