Vincent Kompany | Bayern Munich Manager (Sack watch? Nein)

It’s crazy because Gudmundsson is one of the nicest blokes in football and wouldn’t hurt a fly, let alone whine in front of the manager.

On the sidenote Gudmundsson and Bruno Fernandes are good buddies off the pitch.
Bruno and Gudmundsson being besties is the weirdest thing I’ve read in a while. Their careers never crossed paths at any club?

Thats called passion, boys. You obviously cant know with Sleepy Erik in charge.

He is a cnut in that clip and way over the top. I hope he doesnt pull that shit at Bayern because he will lose the dressing room in an instant.

Bruno and Gudmundsson being besties is the weirdest thing I’ve read in a while. Their careers never crossed paths at any club?

Suppose they could be part of the same social circles? But yes, does sound unusual.

Phil Bardsley lived in the typical Cheshire area where lots of United players do when he was playing for Burnley. That said, he was probably familiar with the area from his United days and it was fairly handy for Stoke too where he played before moving to Burnley.

About an hour driving from there to Burnley so doable if Gudmundsson lives round there.

I know some Burnley players used to live around the Worsley area of Manchester, that's a bit closer. 40 minutes or so to Burnley. Giggs lived there, Cantona very close by in Boothstown.

Last edited:
Don’t mind this.

If there were cameras around during SAFs prime the Caf would be on its last legs.
From all the stories coming out of SAF's time in charge, notably via Keane and Neville, it doesn't sound like this kind of thing would have happened at all.

Half time hairdryer treatment, sure - but not this.

It's really odd behaviour, and it's odd to try to normalize it.

Suppose they could be part of the same social circles? But yes, does sound unusual.

Phil Bardsley lived in the typical Cheshire area where lots of United players do when he was playing for Burnley. That said, he was probably familiar with the area from his United days and it was fairly handy for Stoke too where he played before moving to Burnley.

About an hour driving from there to Burnley so doable if Gudmundsson lives round there.

I know some Burnley players used to live around the Worsley area of Manchester, that's a bit closer. 40 minutes or so to Burnley. Giggs lived there, Cantona very close by in Boothstown.
They live close to each other, their wives are good friends as well. They each have a daughter and son at the same age at the same school.

They live close to each other, their wives are good friends as well. They each have a daughter and son at the same age at the same school.

Cheers! Wonder how many of footballers of various clubs live round there then (Cheshire)?

If Burnley is doable then so is Blackburn, Preston, Huddersfield, Wigan and Bolton. Already mentioned Stoke. All within an hour. The scouse clubs too unless they're all out in Formby. Maybe even the Wrexham boys if they earn enough, Crewe and Salford too.

Thats called passion, boys. You obviously cant know with Sleepy Erik in charge.

He is a cnut in that clip and way over the top. I hope he doesnt pull that shit at Bayern because he will lose the dressing room in an instant.
Yeah, I hope that isn't from the Jose playbook where they seemingly find a target at a new club, to try and make an "example" of in front of the rest of the squad, to prove their point/dominance/stamp their authority.

Say "fecking" in front of every word doesn't make you a better coach.

Embarrassing clip, and makes the jump from relegating Burnley to managing Bayern all the more bizarre.

I had to go watch mission to Burnley season one after watching that.
Most other series, like Wrexham and Sunderland have focused on fans, the city and their connections to the club. This Burnley shit show focused mostly on these jesus crazies from Utah and made me dislike Burnley even more. If I was a Burnley fan I'd be fuming seeing the owner giggling when the team got relegated.

Few pansies knocking around in this thread.
How do you jump to that conclusion? Swearing every couple of words and being overly aggressive doesn't make you look like anything other than a complete twat. There is a way to get across your frustration and disappointment without doing so.

Name a great manager in history and I would bet a ton of money that they've almost all done "worse" than Kompany in that video.

Not saying Kompany is anything other than a crap manager but that kinda stuff happens all the time, at every level of the game.

Maybe not Ancelotti.

Name a great manager in history and I would bet a ton of money that they've almost all done "worse" than Kompany in that video.

Not saying Kompany is anything other than a crap manager but that kinda stuff happens all the time, at every level of the game.

Maybe not Ancelotti.
That doesn't mean it's okay.

Funny how there’s now two clips I’ve seen of him “coaching” and it’s just him crying and yelling at the top of his voice

But it should mean that people don't react as though Vinnie K has done something unusual or strange.
The reaction mainly seems to be around it being toxic behaviour, not acting as if other managers don't do that.

I don't care that he swears and all that, and the player(s) shouldn't either. It's more that he looks like an absolute plonker with all the "this is LIFE or DEATH." Playing up to cameras - players are going to hate that. Reminds me of a Gerrard-type coach, "supervising" training sessions and unable to train players properly. Gerrard used to bang on about Michael feckin Beale being 'the training ground guy!' while he just 'observed' the sessions. :lol:

He said a few bad words and had a go at a player, big deal. I'm sure this happens every day at football clubs and probably in plenty of other work places too.

Bunch of soft cnuts.

The reaction mainly seems to be around it being toxic behaviour, not acting as if other managers don't do that.

There's toxic behaviour on the pitch during every game, in the stands during every game and on the internet when people discuss every game.

Training grounds have the odd bit of shouting and rudeness but are the least toxic part of a players professional life.

Now I understand why Burnley were so crap last season, David Brent as your manager and anyone would struggle

Looked a bit pathetic tbh, flew off the handle like a prick and verbally abusing everybody in range, and the excessive swearing.

If he pulls the same shit with Bayern squad his ass will be out in months. Even Ancelotti didn’t survive that dressing room.

There's toxic behaviour on the pitch during every game, in the stands during every game and on the internet when people discuss every game.

Training grounds have the odd bit of shouting and rudeness but are the least toxic part of a players professional life.
The other stuff isn't really relevant. The manager continually follows the player in a pretty aggressive manner screaming at him. It doesn't matter if it's the least toxic thing he encounters today, it's still toxic behaviour.

What an arse hole, lucky not it be sacked for that kind of shit in this day and age.

Probably all scripted for clicks however.

But it should mean that people don't react as though Vinnie K has done something unusual or strange.
I don't think people are. They're just pointing out that it's cnut behaviour and behaviour like this isn't really needed to get the best out of people. It's fake hardman schtick that just makes you look like a melt.

That is a reaaaaally strange take. The manager is the person who actually has an impact on these players' lives, who is a constant presence during their weeks and whose actions and behaviour is massively important to them. The rest is just noise, that some are more or less adept at blanking, but saying that it's the "least toxic part of a player's professional life" is an absolutely wild take.

There's 2 things here:
- he either behaves that way constantly and he's a toxic manager for doing so;
- he's doing it for the cameras, and he's just a posing twat.

It's also rather shit management in general either way as pretty much all the noise coming from players, ex-players, managers, former managers, pundits, journos, etc. is that that style of management just doesn't really work at the highest level anymore.

Being a world class player in the PL, being intelligent/smart enough to be Pep's captain and getting his team promoted in dominant fashion are his achievements.
Mate, I am not saying that he was Bayern's first choice, or that he is obviously a great coach.
I just think it's ridiculous how he's dismissed by some here as completely inexperienced and hopeless and I think the fact that he was at City plays a big part in that.
The usual Bayern Reflex would have been to sign the biggest name available regardless whether the play style, philosophy or personality is a fit or not (see: Ancelotti, Carlo; see: Ragnick, Ralf; older references: see: Klinsmann, Jürgen; see Trappatoni, Giovanni; see: Rehagel, Otto).

Glad Eberl could overcame the club forces that live and breathe that reflex and actually hired someone that matches the way the team is supposed to play. I think VK has the potential to silence some critics in the next few years.

The usual Bayern Reflex would have been to sign the biggest name available regardless whether the play style, philosophy or personality is a fit or not (see: Ancelotti, Carlo; see: Ragnick, Ralf; older references: see: Klinsmann, Jürgen; see Trappatoni, Giovanni; see: Rehagel, Otto).

Glad Eberl could overcame the club forces that live and breathe that reflex and actually hired someone that matches the way the team is supposed to play.
I think VK has the potential to silence some critics in the next few years.
Oh come on, that's revisionism at its finest! :lol: He was like your 15th choice when half of Europe had turned you down. There's no design here.

Oh come on, that's revisionism at its finest! :lol: He was like your 15th choice when half of Europe had turned you down. There's no design here.
There is not "one choice" in a club like Bayern. Who Eberl or people on Eblerls team may favor is not necessarily one Rummenigge, Hainer or Hoeneß will approve. Not that Hoeneß will automatically agree with Rummenigge, or vice versa.
There was an interview with one of the "scout the coach" staff members in the "sueddeutsche" before Kompany was even talked about. This member said they had a few names in mind no one would think of as candidates currentyl, but they thought would be the best match, better as some of the names then discussed like De Zerbi, glasner or Ragnick.
At the same time, he said they knew it would be useless to talk to the Vorstand about those names because they would be deemed to "low profile".
(Hoeneß keeping a hold on the power in the club while losing the connection to current events is getting more and more of a problem. "I've never heard of that player before we signed him" is his latest signature phrase it seems, and the scariest thing is he is not even embarrassed telling that)

I harbour the hope that VK is a good compromise in that regard. A coach who can do the sort of football Eberl and his team envisions and still was acceptable for the old idiots in charge.

Last edited:
Players and managers have this all the time. Kinda stuff that goes on at every club under every coach when the manager is pissed.

Modern society would prefer he writes them a letter after asking for consent to contact them. Actually maybe a text message with smiley face emojis, as letters and phone calls are too aggressive for some.