Vidic

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really makes no difference tbh.

He defends almost as much as he attacks, he attacks as much as he defends.

Rafael is always getting up and down the pitch, they work as a team unit rather than a "winger and defender".

Just because he starts in the rb position would not mean he is strictly a defender, just means he will be marking the left winger rather than the fullback.

It suits him quite well infact, he likes to stick wide and play his way into position, rather than dodge and dribble passed 3 players. Leaving him wide would allow Nani to move around and come inside infront of him.

Valencia is more than good enough to do a job at RB.

Know where you're coming from, but it does make a difference. Valencia at right-back is still capable of going down the line but he is slightly more limited since his starting position is deeper. Even he can sometimes tire I believe, and it's no good loosing even ounce of his energy. Against Chelsea at Stamford he still made 2 or 3 good, winger runs but that was about it. It will be easier for big teams to stop him from there.

Apart from that, I'm sick of playing our best players out of position. Most of them have suffered from it in my opinion. Club like Manchester United can't enter the season without a proper, genuine right-back.

And yes, Valencia is whole lot more than good enough to play as a full-back, he is too brilliant a winger to be sacrificed, though.

EDIT: I've been saying for a while now that Valencia's dream position would be wing-back. He would have been rated even higher 30 or 40 years ago I'm sure.

Great to see him back. Seems to have fully recovered from his injuries and looked very sharp for someone who hadn't played a competitive match in almost half a year. I still believe that he was the difference between us and citeh winning the league.

He did look sharp to be fair. Couple of good moments, pushing high up the pitch to win one header, then win the next challenge. Vintage Vidic.

Needs a haircut asap though.

He did look younger (???) and leaner to me. Maybe that's a good change as he will get some pace.

anyhow, fecking delighted to see him back,

Didn't notice him looking leaner. The mop made him look younger though, but it's not the right look for him, especially with that nose.

Def looked leaner. Not sure if it will impact his game but I suspect he's lost about a stone. He was lean to begin with so not sure what to make of it.

He is lean, just as he was. It's a common mistake judging one's strength by his frame or rather muscles anyway. He's got tremendously fit skeleton, which in addition to a bit of muscle gives you a powerful cb.

His hair was a mess, though. He should keep it almost fully shaved.

He is lean, just as he was. It's a common mistake judging one's strength by his frame or rather muscles anyway. He's got tremendously fit skeleton, which in addition to a bit of muscle gives you a powerful cb.

His hair was a mess, though. He should keep it almost fully shaved.

I agree. He might be lean, but he isn't skinny - plus he undoubtedly has strong core strength or a skeleton as you put it. This mixed with his aggressiveness and physicality makes him formidable.

I liked his hair when he came here back in January 2006.

_41207108_evra_pa.jpg

Vidic: Rio and I can turn into the unbeatables again this season

NEMANJA VIDIC insists he and Rio Ferdinand are the so solid crew ready to rock the Premier League again.

Many Manchester United fans are convinced the loss of the giant Serb for the final five months of last season cost them the title.

While boss Alex Ferguson mixed and matched his central defensive pairings, nothing quite came up to the near leakproof combination of Vidic and Ferdinand, which for so long has been the bedrock of United’s domestic and European success.

Vidic, 30, is now fit and well following cruciate ligament surgery and is warning the likes of Manchester City goal kings Carlos Tevez and Sergio Aguero: “I have no doubt Rio and me can again be the best couple of central defenders in the Premier League.

“That’s the way it has been for a few years and now my dream is for us to return to the same level. People can think anything they like. But, all things being equal, it is very difficult for anybody to get the better of us.

“My knee is in perfect condition. My only challenge this season is to avoid more injury.

“I’m still not 100 per cent but this will come with minutes on the field and more hard work.

“I’ve received a lot of confidence from the manager and this is the main thing for me.”

Vidic agonised from the sidelines as United lost the title to noisy neighbours City on the final day of last season and Champions League interest ended at the group stage.

He added: “We had some young players play a lot of games last season. They’ll have learned a lot. We all learned.

“In Europe we’ve had so much success in recent years and maybe relaxed a bit. We were punished and can’t allow that to happen again.

“We had a few injuries last season too. I hope everyone can stay fit this time.

“To lose the league title was hard for us but is forgotten now and we are only thinking of becoming the owners of the English championship again.”

Hope his knee can hold up, seems to be full of confidence that it is 100% anyways.

I love the man, no homo. :)
I hope to god he can keep playing like he used to and subsequently outperform every CB.

No surprise that he wasn't at his best vs Everton, he's been out for a long time.

I think it was a really bad time for him to get that long a break from football, just around his 30th birthday. It will be difficult for him to get back to his best level, I feel, but obviously his experience and the fact 60 % of his best level is still pretty fecking good counts for him.

he wasn't at his absolute beast but he did okay imo, especially for a player who have been out for half a year. everton away is always a tough and tricky fixture for us. vidic will get better with more games under his belt.

He's still a fair bit off his best, wrong side for the 2nd Fulham goal and he dallied at the end before Fulham almost scored again. He should have just attacked the feck of the ball as it was in the air.

Yeah I said it in the matchday thread, looks a shadow at the moment.

I'm sure he'll get it back though.

Not at his best. Will take time to get there. Hopefully a few games, and then he's back and as dependable as ever.

He looks terrible. Not just in terms of football, but everything. No confidence, no muscle, no presence (either physically or of mind) and a shadow of his former self.

The quicker we get the real Vidic back the better.

Looks like a player who hasn't played for months, paired up with a midfielder.

It was always going to take time for him to return to his best and he's not helped by the fact he is the only fit CB at the moment. Once he has another proper CB alongside him and has played a few more games he'll be back to his dependable best.

8 months out, and it showed. Need a CB to pair him though.

It was always going to take time for him to return to his best and he's not helped by the fact he is the only fit CB at the moment. Once he has another proper CB alongside him and has played a few more games he'll be back to his dependable best.

He needs the 'John O'Shea TM' diet!!

He would never score a goal like that again even in one million attempts.

I'm not at all worried about how he'll do. He's just back, not beside his natural partner and it's going to take him a while to settle in the team again. I have no doubts that he's going to go on and have a good season, barring injuries of course.

He's just rusty. Been out for 8 months, and having to now play with a central midfielder. Not exactly ideal.

He'll need a dozen or so games to get back to his best at which point people will wonder why they ever doubted him.

I don't think anyone's doubting him, it's just clear he's not at the level we require him to be at as a result of defensive injuries. Obviously such a long lay-off will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.