Victor Osimhen | out of options | goes to Gala on loan

If Chelsea don't qualify for the Champions League next season how on earth would they be able to afford him? haven't they signed Nkunku to play as their main forward for next season?
They also have an issue with Lukaku who Inter won’t be signing.

"next_number_seven said:
I think most people are assuming Greenwood will never play for the club"

I think he will be thinking that he is thinking he might be thinking that most people will be thinking he is going to play for the club next season

I think I don't think this is the correct way of thinking.

Genuine question. How many strikers have succeeded in the premier league in the last 5 years with a poor first touch?

This is what worries me the most. In tight games you don't get away with it. I know its a cliche when people say "can they do it in the PL" but its true up to a point. Being a striker is a bit like being a keeper. Perception is quite important. Once people have decided you aren't up to scratch you are given little sympathy or benefit of the doubt. Lukaku is a good example of a player who will score goals. He will also make you want to pull your hair out as he breaks up attacks with comically bad first touch, an awful pass or a stupid mis-kick.

His numbers are always good but when you watch him you don't love him. The best strikers are loved by the fans of the top teams because they are like a premium car. They spark joy. A striker like Martial will always evoke more emotion than one like Lukaku because he is simply much more pleasing on the eye despite Lukaku having the objectively better output.

FFS, it's not poor. It's not Berbatov-esque granted but he manages to kill the ball any way he wants every time. When do you see him feck up a move or a chance due to a bad touch? Haaland's got a much better touch than say Rooney, now there's a guy with a loose touch.

FFS, it's not poor. It's not Berbatov-esque granted but he manages to kill the ball any way he wants every time. When do you see him feck up a move or a chance due to a bad touch? Haaland's got a much better touch than say Rooney, now there's a guy with a loose touch.
But Osimhen doesn’t have a poor touch either? The man has scored some spectacular goals with his technique.
I don’t know if Haaland has a poor touch or not since he never uses the bloody thing

I was with you there until you said Haaland has a better first touch than Rooney :lol:

Fans obsess too much on "poor" first touch, especially in strikers.

This is what worries me the most. In tight games you don't get away with it. I know its a cliche when people say "can they do it in the PL" but its true up to a point. Being a striker is a bit like being a keeper. Perception is quite important. Once people have decided you aren't up to scratch you are given little sympathy or benefit of the doubt. Lukaku is a good example of a player who will score goals. He will also make you want to pull your hair out as he breaks up attacks with comically bad first touch, an awful pass or a stupid mis-kick.

His numbers are always good but when you watch him you don't love him. The best strikers are loved by the fans of the top teams because they are like a premium car. They spark joy. A striker like Martial will always evoke more emotion than one like Lukaku because he is simply much more pleasing on the eye despite Lukaku having the objectively better output.

Case in point. You're talking about love and emotion and fans. Question: with his great first touch, would you call Martial an unqualified success at United? Fact remains that for all the salt and scapegoating thrown his way Lukaku was more productive in the PL than Martial (or Havertz for that matter), loved by fans because of their tekkers but just hot air when it comes to the bottom line regalling productivity on the pitch.

i fear you might be right but can't help thinking that would be to our detriment, and also to him and his family.
moving him on would really only benefit other clubs.

Offering my own personal opinion (and making no further comment than that), I don't want him to play for United again and don't care whether it benefits other clubs.

Criminal charges have been dropped, as I understand it because the main witness has withdrawn. I am happy to be corrected if that is not right.

I don't think you need a Berba first touch unless you're that kind of player. It worked for him because his whole style was built around it. Getting on the ball and build up. For strikers like Haaland and Osimhen it's only about function. It's more about anticipation of how the ball is arriving and manipulating the ball into the right path to get an optimal shot. Who cares whether they can trap a ball on a sixpence over their head, they just have to get it knocked into position to score. I'm pretty sure the managers don't care as long as it doesn't prevent the finish and ultimately their records say it doesn't. They'll never have the world's tidiest touch but they'll still keep banging goals.

I think there's quite a lot of examples that operate between a Berba/Bergkamp type and Lukaku as well. Lukaku is more than a bit untidy, he's a genuine dead weight on any pretension that a side is going to build up play off the striker. I think Haaland is definitely better than that when he wants to be, usually he's just not interested and why would you be when they have so many cooks already, dunno about Osimhen.

FDJ??????
I want what you are smoking :wenger: :wenger:
I don't smoke. Why do you think its not possible? It is not FDJ thread but let me try to clarify.

In worst case, we are stuck with Glazers and even in that case I think we will buy a striker and CM. We wont spend 150m on Osimhen but 150 overall on Kane and FDJ is possible.
Barca was looking to sell last season as well, its just FDJ was not willing to join. If it were on the doubts about our team, I am sure he will be open to join this summer.
Also Ten Hag seems to love FDJ and I think he will try to get him in summer.

Offering my own personal opinion (and making no further comment than that), I don't want him to play for United again and don't care whether it benefits other clubs.

Criminal charges have been dropped, as I understand it because the main witness has withdrawn. I am happy to be corrected if that is not right.
I fully accept that this is a hugely polarising issue for the club and fans. We'll all have an opinion on it but we may wait till the club's decision is known before we wade in.

I don't smoke. Why do you think its not possible? It is not FDJ thread but let me try to clarify.

In worst case, we are stuck with Glazers and even in that case I think we will buy a striker and CM. We wont spend 150m on Osimhen but 150 overall on Kane and FDJ is possible.
Barca was looking to sell last season as well, its just FDJ was not willing to join. If it were on the doubts about our team, I am sure he will be open to join this summer.
Also Ten Hag seems to love FDJ and I think he will try to get him in summer.
Clarify???
You have just regurgitated all the same old shit from the summer.
HE DOESN'T WANT TO COME TO MANCHESTER UNITED!

Clarify???
You have just regurgitated all the same old shit from the summer.
HE DOESN'T WANT TO COME TO MANCHESTER UNITED!

R u his close buddy?

Thing is football is business and a lot can change in one summer!! Top 4, new owners, Barcelona issues, better future project….all Of this very different to last summer…

It’s certainly worth a try ….

R u his close buddy?

Thing is football is business and a lot can change in one summer!! Top 4, new owners, Barcelona issues, better future project….all Of this very different to last summer…

It’s certainly worth a try ….
The saying 'flogging a dead horse' comes to mind.

Question: with his great first touch, would you call Martial an unqualified success at United?

Of course he hasn't. Has mentality and big injury issues. This season is a prime example. He has been great when hes played this season but hes barely played. I'd still much rather watch him that Lukaku though.

What? :confused::confused:

Price is going to be insane when he wins the Champions League with Napoli.

Price is going to be insane when he wins the Champions League with Napoli.

As if Napoli are going to beat City, Bayern Münich or Real Madrid in a Champions League final. They're a good team but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

They also have an issue with Lukaku who Inter won’t be signing.
God he is such a chump. Made a huge fuss to go to Inter and has done nothing there. Just so toxic. Can't see Chelsea going for Osimhen - why go to a strikers graveyard; Morata, Werner, Torres, Lukaku, Shevchenko, Crespo....

God he is such a chump. Made a huge fuss to go to Inter and has done nothing there. Just so toxic. Can't see Chelsea going for Osimhen - why go to a strikers graveyard; Morata, Werner, Torres, Lukaku, Shevchenko, Crespo....

Costa and Drogba worked though......

I fully accept that this is a hugely polarising issue for the club and fans. We'll all have an opinion on it but we may wait till the club's decision is known before we wade in.

I only offered my opinion and the clubs decision won't impact that. That decision might impact what I think of the club and the people running it depending on what it is.

Fans obsess too much on "poor" first touch, especially in strikers.

Case in point. You're talking about love and emotion and fans. Question: with his great first touch, would you call Martial an unqualified success at United? Fact remains that for all the salt and scapegoating thrown his way Lukaku was more productive in the PL than Martial (or Havertz for that matter), loved by fans because of their tekkers but just hot air when it comes to the bottom line regalling productivity on the pitch.
And yet Lukaku remains a good example that good technique is important because productivity can make up for the lack of it only up to a point. Despite all his goals, he couldn't cement his status as a top striker because his overall game is lacking so much.

So while some people might obsess too much on strikers' technique, others obsess too much on judging a striker solely by the amount of goals.

I'm not saying any of this applies to Osimhen, by the way; I've barely seen him play so I don't really have an opinion one way or another.

Oshimhen belong to the warrior type forward like Drogba and Diego Costa, so there is a chance he may fare better. But still, I hope he doesn't go there.

Did they, Drogba has big moments, in cup finals but as a PL striker he's nearer to Robbie Keane and Peter Crouch than he is Shearer.

That's harsh mate. Both Drogba and Costa were a big success overall. No one would call the transfers average or a flop.

Did they, Drogba has big moments, in cup finals but as a PL striker he's nearer to Robbie Keane and Peter Crouch than he is Shearer.
This is silly.

Robbie Keane and Peter Crouch no where near wining top scorer award.

Shearer record benefited from when PL was weaker league with naive tactic. His 30+ goal seasons were during 42 game per season period. In latter stage when PL quality improved, his high tally per is not that impressive. Drogba best season was better than Shearer.

Shearer may be consistent scorer in the league, but he's nowhere impressive for England or when his clubs were in in Europe. The guy is more like the Immobile of weaker days of PL.

This is silly.

Robbie Keane and Peter Crouch no where near wining top scorer award.

Shearer record benefited from when PL was weaker league with naive tactic. His 30+ goal seasons were during 42 game per season period. In latter stage when PL quality improved, his high tally per is not that impressive. Drogba best season was better than Shearer.

Shearer may be consistent scorer in the league, but he's nowhere impressive for England or when his clubs were in in Europe. The guy is more like the Immobile of weaker days of PL.
Shearer was better than Drogba. No debate.

Crouch scored 4 more PL goals than Drogba over his career, but it took him a full 214 games more to do so, the equivalent of an extra 6 seasons at 35/36 games per season.

He's a Chelsea fan who idolises Drogba, not saying that alone gets us him but he certainly won't dismiss us out of hand.

Also Crespo wasn't a flop.