Victor Osimhen | out of options | goes to Gala on loan

He would, but then isn't that his own fault for signing a big new contract with Spurs when any club in the world would have had him?

Most top level players seem to go with the easy renewal and higher money immediately don't they.
They seem to assume someone will come in for them at the right level. Kane & Zaha the 2 biggest examples of the flaw in this plan now fees are so high.

Lower league players seem a bit more savvy, when they would take lower fees to buy anyway.

My only reservation with him is how he’ll be in build up. If we can get a side that can sustain attacks around the box without needing Osimhen involved too much then he’d be a terrific option.

He’s definitely an upgrade on what we currently have so it’s not at all a question of quality as his pressing is good, his general work ethic is good in that he makes lots of unselfish runs and he’s an intelligent positional striker too.

He’s just nowhere near as good in build up as a Kane so without trying to be too simple for me it comes down to what Ten Hag wants as a striker profile that elevates this team the most. And I think a Kane does that more.

I don't know why we weren't after him before he joined napoli, just like Aubameyang you could see the talent was there whilst playing in France and it would have been less of a punt to buy osimhen when he was in France for modest fee compared to buying now from napoli for a astronomical fee

I don't know why we weren't after him before he joined napoli, just like Aubameyang you could see the talent was there whilst playing in France and it would have been less of a punt to buy osimhen when he was in France for modest fee compared to buying now from napoli for a astronomical fee
The fee that Napoli paid for him wasn't exactly modest.

Well Ole was still the manager and he seemed happy with the forward options... before going for Ronaldo later on which ended his managerial career at United. I hope the club is going to be more proactive now in helping the manager identifying talents, especially with new owners coming in.

Didn't they pay 70m + in 2020? 100m in 2023 sounds right.
Yes he cost 70m + 10m in bonuses to Lille as a 21 year old.

He wasn't cheap at all when joined them but they'd attest that he's been worth every penny since

Napoli invested in him 70 mil and he is now their main man. They will want 130 mil at least.
I wonder, will we pay want to pay that?

i have a lot of doubts over whether a physical run in behind not great in the buildup CF is really a good fit for us. Do people think he has the ability to show quality on the ball or that's just not in his game at all?

On 20 goals in the league now, terrific header off the corner.

Has a habit of absolutely bossing defenders in the air

On 20 goals in the league now, terrific header off the corner.

Has a habit of absolutely bossing defenders in the air
Impressive how he is easily bossing Schuurs today, who is considered one of the best CD of Serie A

Napoli invested in him 70 mil and he is now their main man. They will want 130 mil at least.
I wonder, will we pay want to pay that?

They paid around 50 million actually.
Italian accounting cheating involved in that deal. Also 130 will not be enough dealing with the Napoli owner. He will sell him when he is done and dusted like kouibially.

Brilliant header. But should have an assist as well if he played that ball better, the only real issue I have. Can miss some pretty easy passes

I would prefer Kane + Young striker for Oshimhen money.

Kane - striker or ss
Bruno - ss or rw

He's the answer to Haaland, the club signing him will challenge for the league.

I would prefer Kane + Young striker for Oshimhen money.

Kane - striker or ss
Bruno - ss or rw
Spurs will never sell Harry Kane to a domestic rival for less than a British record fee so Kane + a young striker could easily reach close to 200m...

Kane is not good enough for the money he would cost, a serial loser and bottler. England NT and Spurs are his level mentality wise.

But is he far away and untouchable?

His record for England is weak. No sold in European competition either. Conveniently stop hitting 30+ once PL moved away from 42 games per season.

Players is somehow good in one (weaker) league happens. See Immobile. Shearer hype In reality, PL has been raising levels since when Shearer 30+ goal per season. Shearer's Newcastle was not always just some mid table team. In many of the early season, he played for a quality Newcastle team. He was consistent by his high tally for Newcastle, but his high is not as great when compare to RvN, Henry high.
I don't know how this post was left to slide; Alan Shearer changed and modified his game emphatically in accordance with with two knee injuries that robbed him of a lot of the tools that had gotten him to where he was up to those junctures in his career.

The Shearer you refer to was rapid, mobile, clean and playing off the shoulders of defenders. It wasn't tactics or anything external that curtailed him; it was the ACL injury that he was never the same player again after.

Shearer fell in line with the pack as a different kind of centre-forward to what he broke through and was making his name, and high goal tallies as. He continued to score goals and be effective, but he wasn't the same player or as lethal from a myriad of scenarios as he was pre-injury.

The second knee injury changed his game again, and that Shearer (the bruiser) wasn't a patch on the previous one, and very far removed from the aforementioned rapid one.

Effectively, there are 3 versions of Shearer to discuss, and most times, it's the one in the middle these discussions about 'Shearer' revolve around, which anyone who saw v1 would state isn't the best or true version of the player. So when you talk about 30-goal+ Shearer, it's not the Shearer iteration that is generally analysed and scrutinised.

Stevie Wonder could see how this guy would transform our team

You say that but when you have wingers that have no intention to cross or even get assists like Antony then how can he be expected to produce or get as many headed goals as he does. Don’t get me started on the fullbacks…

Aside from Bruno, there’s no player willing or capable to put a shift out wide to create chances. If we are to sign him our chance creation from outwide needs to improve.

You say that but when you have wingers that have no intention to cross or even get assists like Antony then how can he be expected to produce or get as many headed goals as he does. Don’t get me started on the fullbacks…

Aside from Bruno, there’s no player willing or capable to put a shift out wide to create chances. If we are to sign him our chance creation from outwide needs to improve.

We must not watch the same team then

Chances galore today right?

One off Game doesn't make a bad season. People need to stop overreacting after a "C" performance.

Has there been noticeable progress? Yes. Does Ten Haag have the players with criteria at each position like he wants? No. Thats why we see Bruno at RW, Sancho at CAM. Weghorst in the Midfield. Rashford at striker. It's about the profile of players, not the players themselves.

Shaw creates chances. His delivery is good too.

That would obviously be true if he had a fair bit of time on his contract. But with only one year left and at 30 years of age I don't think it'll be quite that high.
Someone like Hazard went for well north of 100m in the same exact situation with a year left on his contract a few years ago.

I'm under no illusions that someone like Dan Levy will do any PL club, let alone United, any favors at all when it comes to their valuation :lol:. Especially if they're in need of a summer rebuild after sacking their manager.

Maybe out of courtesy for foreign clubs like Bayern but definitely not for another English rival.

That's why I believe Kane is a non-starter for us as much as it would be a great fit. Too many things would have to happen for that to be a possibility, least of all the player himself pushing hard for it when we haven't received any indication that he would.

Cavani didn't have a problem scoring headers when he bothered in his first season. We didn't exactly have players who could cross better two years ago.

Cavani didn't have a problem scoring headers when he bothered in his first season. We didn't exactly have players who could cross better two years ago.

True but still need better delivery to get the best out of him in the air where he's a monster

My only reservation with him is how he’ll be in build up. If we can get a side that can sustain attacks around the box without needing Osimhen involved too much then he’d be a terrific option.

He’s definitely an upgrade on what we currently have so it’s not at all a question of quality as his pressing is good, his general work ethic is good in that he makes lots of unselfish runs and he’s an intelligent positional striker too.

He’s just nowhere near as good in build up as a Kane so without trying to be too simple for me it comes down to what Ten Hag wants as a striker profile that elevates this team the most. And I think a Kane does that more.

I think that's right. Osimhen is the much smarter buy in terms of age profile but in terms of playing profile Kane is much more what United needs as they're currently constructed. Osimhen is a super low touch player who is mainly a box striker, even Haaland is involved in play for City more than Osimhen for Napoli. Watching highlights gives the wrong impression, he's very much a player who simply won't touch the ball all game and then head in a goal. He is in the 4th percentile in passes attempted per game despite playing in the most possession-heavy side in Serie A. Unless Ten Hag wants to use Rashford very differently than this season, making the two of them fit together will be very tricky.

Honestly I also wonder about Osimhen's fit for Chelsea. Potter's teams have never had this kind of low touch striker at the tip of spear, its hard to make it work. Some would say that is exactly what Chelsea need but they also tried that a few years back with Lukaku.

i have a lot of doubts over whether a physical run in behind not great in the buildup CF is really a good fit for us. Do people think he has the ability to show quality on the ball or that's just not in his game at all?

Just concentrate on improving midfield with the ball and let him just bang in the goals

Do you reckon Napoli would say yes to a fixed fee of 100m + boni, that can raise up to 150m in total?