Victor Osimhen | out of options | goes to Gala on loan

This is silly.

Robbie Keane and Peter Crouch no where near wining top scorer award.

Shearer record benefited from when PL was weaker league with naive tactic. His 30+ goal seasons were during 42 game per season period. In latter stage when PL quality improved, his high tally per is not that impressive. Drogba best season was better than Shearer.

Shearer may be consistent scorer in the league, but he's nowhere impressive for England or when his clubs were in in Europe. The guy is more like the Immobile of weaker days of PL.
You can really use the ‘weaker’ argument because a player like Shearer also didn’t have all the advantages a modern striker has. If you think the league was comparatively weaker (which is debatable in itself) you have to factor in the disadvantage those players were at compared to today’s.

What you can see even watching now with the benefit of hindsight is he was basically the complete striker, he lacked out and out pace (although he wasn’t slow) but he was excellent in every other department. What you’re saying above is probably how people will talk about Kane if he stays at Spurs (didn’t score in big games for England, wasn’t able to make a big difference in the CL but great domestically) which isn’t really fair but is what happens when time passes.

Shearer was better than Drogba. No debate.
But is he far away and untouchable?

His record for England is weak. No sold in European competition either. Conveniently stop hitting 30+ once PL moved away from 42 games per season.

Players is somehow good in one (weaker) league happens. See Immobile. Shearer hype In reality, PL has been raising levels since when Shearer 30+ goal per season. Shearer's Newcastle was not always just some mid table team. In many of the early season, he played for a quality Newcastle team. He was consistent by his high tally for Newcastle, but his high is not as great when compare to RvN, Henry high.

No question.

But Drogba still typically appears within the top ten of most people's all time PL forwards lists. Comparing him to Crouch or Robbie Keane is silly.
Yeah, Drogba was better than Crouch and Keane. I wasn't as big a fan of him as others. He might scrape into my top 10. It would be touch and go.

You can really use the ‘weaker’ argument because a player like Shearer also didn’t have all the advantages a modern striker has. If you think the league was comparatively weaker (which is debatable in itself) you have to factor in the disadvantage those players were at compared to today’s.

What you can see even watching now with the benefit of hindsight is he was basically the complete striker, he lacked out and out pace (although he wasn’t slow) but he was excellent in every other department. What you’re saying above is probably how people will talk about Kane if he stays at Spurs (didn’t score in big games for England, wasn’t able to make a big difference in the CL but great domestically) which isn’t really fair but is what happens when time passes.
Spurs under Pochettino had the team that should win at least a domestic cup. Kane big game record maybe questionable, but he scored enough for England and in European competition to suss away the one league bully.

Newcastle at one time was well invested. They did challenge for the league and it's less on managerial brilliance from Keegan, and more to do with how heavy their investment was. Remember Shearer didn't join Newcastle for free or cheap. He joined them for world record fee at that time! Spurs ended up with gold cheaply on luck and they failed to build on it. However, Newcastle and Shearer case is not a David vs Goliath when you applied context.

I am not saying Shearer is bad. He's one of the great no doubt, but he's not someone untouchable. I am saying he had some advantage when compared to later forwards playing in more competitive tactical PL era.

Last edited:
We have to get this guy. C'mon Sheik Jasmine get your oil dollas out and give them to the italian daniel levy.

Spurs under Pochettino had the team that should win at least a domestic cup. Kane big game record maybe questionable, but he scored enough for England and in European competition to suss away the one league bully.

Newcastle at one time was well invested. They did challenge for the league and it's less on managerial brilliance from Keegan, and more to do with how heavy their investment was. Remember Shearer didn't join Newcastle for free or cheap. He joined them for world record fee at that time! Spurs ended up with gold cheaply on luck and they failed to build on it. However, Newcastle and Shearer case is not a David vs Goliath when you applied context.

I am not saying Shearer is bad. He's one of the great no doubt, but he's not someone untouchable. I am saying he had some advantage when compared to later forwards playing in more competitive tactical PL era.
But then he had to deal with getting kicked about and all the issues today’s footballers don’t.

I’d argue todays PL is much easier to score goals in - very few teams are as defensive as those from 10+ years ago, most teams will press (and therefore won’t sit deep), none really play route one football they try to build out, all keepers take a lot more risk and are used more for possession and you get freekicks and penalties for minimal contact now.

Anyway Osimhen should be a target - get him in!

But then he had to deal with getting kicked about and all the issues today’s footballers don’t.

I’d argue todays PL is much easier to score goals in - very few teams are as defensive as those from 10+ years ago, most teams will press (and therefore won’t sit deep), none really play route one football they try to build out, all keepers take a lot more risk and are used more for possession and you get freekicks and penalties for minimal contact now.

Anyway Osimhen should be a target - get him in!
I am not really comparing to nowadays era. Just the era immediate after, with RvN, Henry still around and Chelsea brought in Drogba. By then PL clubs already started going far in CL, UEFA Cup. More high level manager from continental arrived and PL became more tactical diverse. The pre Benitez, Mourinho with their safety first approach was much more open, and tactical naive. That era still involved a lot of kick about, dark art. See our games vs Arsenal, Liverpool in this era. Shearer's clearly one of the best in PL, but he's not touchable, or he's always playing for a mid table team.

Anyways, I am not here to undermine Shearer. Just respond to a ridiculous post.

Last edited:
Don't know why I want him so much, given how good Lukaku was in Serie A temporarily and it all going to shit.

But everytime a clip of him ends up on my screen I'm amazed by the fact United are where they are this season without an out and out striker who can do even a quarter of what he can.

Don't know why I want him so much, given how good Lukaku was in Serie A temporarily and it all going to shit.

But everytime a clip of him ends up on my screen I'm amazed by the fact United are where they are this season without an out and out striker who can do even a quarter of what he can.

He's a hardworking warrior who comes across as a humble guy, unlike Lukaku who was a lazy, whiny bastard who thought he was better than everyone else. Osimhen is also a much more complete footballer and everything about him screams professional, while Lukaku is literally the embodiment of unprofessional.

Lukaku was totally engaged, like Conte was, and he had a great foil up front in Lautaro Martinez. Once Lukaku went to his lazy and I'm better than I really am mentality, both he and Lautaro began their down falls.

Osimhen can lead a line going forward and defending/pressing from the front on his own 5x better than Lukaku.

FOund it laughable how when he went tback to Chelsea how many pundits and a few of them top top strikers were lauding his improvements, he was no better than when he left.

Lukaku at the top of his game, despite the dreadful first touch, is a monster. He had peak periods at all of his clubs in the premiership, even here.....but anything below the top of his game and he is just a decent striker, below it and he is a poor striker. The number of crucial moments in his career for club and country he has failed is huge to me. The fees he has gone for and how highly rated he still seems to be is laughable.

Was always going to flop here, never a United player.....and the two are incomparable, Omishen is far more mobile and technically gifted. Personally think he and Vlahovic are the most viable options, even if both are mabe a bit over rated due to there seeming to currently be a dearth of top strikers that are not at the wrong end of there careers bar the very ream of the crop.

Not sure I see Omishen as a Lewndowski, Benzema or Haaland leverl sriker for example....but I would be confident he would be a success here. I never thought Lukaku would be anything other than what he was.....for a ridiculous fee....the fee is the only thing they have in common. The Napoli side have a few very godo strikers, the only one who to me looks a bona fide possible worls star though is Kvaratskhelia his ability and movement reminds me so much of a left sided Figo....though he isnt as good, which is barely a criticism

I only offered my opinion and the clubs decision won't impact that. That decision might impact what I think of the club and the people running it depending on what it is.
Fair enough. I feel differently to you though but I'm not going to get hung up on it one way or the other.
Having said that, I wonder what everyone else feels about it. Given that there's no criminal case to answer, would it now be appropriate to start a thread or poll about it?
I'm also very mindful that this thread is not the place to discuss his return or otherwise.

Some absolutely wild and terrible takes about Drogba in this thread. Drogba was a monster.

Some absolutely wild and terrible takes about Drogba in this thread. Drogba was a monster.
Brilliant, espacially in the big games. Big game player. Saying that, he isn’t top 10. Thats not a slight though, there have been some excellent strikers in the PL

But is he far away and untouchable?

His record for England is weak. No sold in European competition either. Conveniently stop hitting 30+ once PL moved away from 42 games per season.

Players is somehow good in one (weaker) league happens. See Immobile. Shearer hype In reality, PL has been raising levels since when Shearer 30+ goal per season. Shearer's Newcastle was not always just some mid table team. In many of the early season, he played for a quality Newcastle team. He was consistent by his high tally for Newcastle, but his high is not as great when compare to RvN, Henry high.

Peak Shearer was much better, for me. But he was never the same after his knee injury around 97ish, when he lost that extra bit of pace..

Brilliant, espacially in the big games. Big game player. Saying that, he isn’t top 10. Thats not a slight though, there have been some excellent strikers in the PL
Please list the ten you think are better than him.

Henry, Shearer, Rooney, Suarez, Cantona, Kane, Cole, Van Persie, Van Nistelrooy and Haaland. All better than Drogba and I'd argue that there are probably one or two more also.

Edit: Completely forgot about Aguero.

Henry, Shearer, Rooney, Suarez, Cantona, Kane, Cole, Van Persie, Van Nistelrooy and Haaland. All better than Drogba and I'd argue that there are probably one or two more also.

Edit: Completely forgot about Aguero.

Haaland hasn't even played a whole season in England ffs.

Drogba was the ultimate big game player. 9 goals in 9 finals. Won Chelsea the CL. I'd have peak Drogba over Kane anyday of the week.

Haaland hasn't even played a whole season in England ffs.

Drogba was the ultimate big game player. 9 goals in 9 finals. Won Chelsea the CL. I'd have peak Drogba over Kane anyday of the week.
Haaland is clearly better than Drogba, but it's early days so fair enough. Replace him with Aguero then.

No denying Drogba's record in the big games. Kane has been a much better player than him though in my view.

Please list the ten you think are better than him.
Shearer
Aguero
Henry
Ruud
Kane
Suarez
Rooney
Owen
Wright
Cole

I left out Salah as not sure you can class him as a striker.
Drogba was a great striker, but he wasn’t prolific.
What he was though, was the ultimate big game player. If its a cup final hes in my team.

Anyway its all subjective some will have him in some won’t. For me hes in the next batch with Van Persie Fowler, etc

Haaland is clearly better than Drogba, but it's early days so fair enough. Replace him with Aguero then.

No denying Drogba's record in the big games. Kane has been a much better player than him though in my view.
Not really sure how someone who's never had a shot on target in a major final can be considered better than one of the best big game players around, regardless of how much the former stat pads at home to Norwich.

We have missed so many players that were obviously good players and would improve us. Hopefully not this time. The reason why Napoli is in this position is because of him and Kvarat. Sign him and reap the rewards, if we have to break the bank so be it. No overthinking, dont miss the obvious.

Not really sure how someone who's never had a shot on target in a major final can be considered better than one of the best big game players around, regardless of how much the former stat pads at home to Norwich.
Depends what you value I suppose. In terms of big games and finals, then Drogba is right up there with anyone. The other 80-90% of the time, I'm taking Kane and many others over him without any hesitation.

Depends what you value I suppose. In terms of big games and finals, then Drogba is right up there with anyone. The other 80-90% of the time, I'm taking Kane and many others over him without any hesitation.
Even if we ignore cup finals there was a season he hit Messi/Ronaldo level figures in a double winning season (37 in 44 despite not being the first choice penalty taker and being away at the AFCON for a month, he would have almost certainly hit 50 plus without those obstacles) and leading the line during 95 and 91 point title seasons.

That's three whole full season's above anything Kane has ever done.

Even if we ignore cup finals there was a season he hit Messi/Ronaldo level figures in a double winning season (37 in 44 despite not being the first choice penalty taker and being away at the AFCON for a month, he would have almost certainly hit 50 plus without those obstacles) and leading the line during 95 and 91 point title seasons.

That's three whole full season's above anything Kane has ever done.
Drogba had a couple of very good goalscoring seasons. Kane does it every season. No debate regarding trophies won obviously, but I don't think Kane or City would have fallen apart if he had joined them.

Thought you were meaning Haaland first read, but maybe you meant Kane.
Has Kane not had a shot in his set of finals then?

But think how much higher an opportunity Kane would have had if he was actually the favourite in any of the club level finals he's played in. In that peak Chelsea side he'd have had way more of a chance.

Thought you were meaning Haaland first read, but maybe you meant Kane.
Has Kane not had a shot in his set of finals then?

But think how much higher an opportunity Kane would have had if he was actually the favourite in any of the club level finals he's played in. In that peak Chelsea side he'd have had way more of a chance.
He would, but then isn't that his own fault for signing a big new contract with Spurs when any club in the world would have had him?