Victor Osimhen | out of options | goes to Gala on loan

How much would be cost? 150m?
Lets hope we have the qatari oil secured soon

Tbf to Rashford and Antony I would suspect that to a large degree the lack of crosses is an active and very changeable choice on the manager's part.

This season we've averaged fewer crosses per game than we have in any of the previous six seasons, beyond which fbref doesn't have stats for crosses. And also just 60% of the crosses Ajax averaged per game in ETH's last season there.

And on an individual level Bruno has put in the lowest rate of crosses in his recorded career thus far, ditto Rashford, ditto Antony, Dalot the fewest since he joined United and Shaw half the crosses that he did in previous two seasons. Etc etc.

Which makes sense given one of the main issues in our attack this season has been the lack of that classic centre-forward threat in the box. Our main goal threat is Rashford, not that sort of player in the slightest. Neither is Martial. Ronaldo while great in the air wasn't a #9 and was constantly looking to vactate that position. And the 6'6" Weghorst has been both surprisingly unimpressive in the air and surprisingly utilised in a deeper position in a lot of games.

Put an actual aerial threat into the team as a constant presence in the opposition box and I think you'd see that tactical shift. Wide attackers aside, it's easy to imagine Bruno and Eriksen (our current two most prolific crossers of the ball) benefiting a lot from having that classic CF to target as well.

Added another 20m to his price tag tonight. I doubt that we can afford him unless we spend 80% of our budget on him.

Bossed it tonight. Interested to see how he does against better opposition in the later rounds.

I'm convinced he is the guy for us.

Fill up Napoli's coffers for him and Kim.

He is really impressive. But Napoli does not need to cash this summer. Hard believe ADL sells him for less than 120m

Osimhen has got a knack for scoring impressive headers. I'd be happy if we were in the mix but I'd be shocked if Chelsea weren't in for him too.

He really wants to play in the premier league so United and Chelsea seem the logical choices due to finances....United the edge b/c we should be in the champions league and chelsea might not even get in the Europa League

however...PSG are going to need a striker so they'll be in the mix as well.

can't see anyone else that could afford him

Said in the summer we should have gone for him. His all-round effect on the side was already brilliant, his goalscoring has gone up some incredible levels this season. He is an elite marksman right now.

Just think we will be priced out unless we get some of the Qatar money in

If Ten Hag wants him rather than Kane then I think he will choose Utd but the fee will break the British transfer record, can see it happening, especially if Utds new owners are from Qatar.

Didn’t you want Kane over him just a few weeks ago?
Was flip flopping between the two for a while. Ignoring age, I think Kane would be more of an instant guarantee and would suit Rashford perfectly. Osimhen i think could lower Rashfords ceiling a tad, but ultimately the more I think about it, I think that it would serve us better on average to have someone else with that pace and power in behind so we don't rely on just 1 player like we do now with Rashford. If we get Kane and Rashford goes down, then we are extremely slow in attack with nobody capable of running in behind.

Prefer Kane and I suspect ten Hag does, too, simply because his back to goal play is up arguably the best in the world.

I watched Madrid tonight and strikers like Benzema add so much more than just goals. I fear if we get Osimhen, we'll have to play for him, rather than getting a player like Kane who will slot in and make those around him better.

I think if we want a different option up top, i.e. running in behind, then we can go with Rashford. Is he a fox in the box like Osimhen? Np, but we'd be getting that and more with the addition of Kane.

Only way we get him is if we're sold by the end of March IMO. Boehly will already be working on this you just know it.

Can see Napoli holding out for a Neymar esque figure if he keeps doing this and they reach the semis or final.

Realistically I would think you're looking at a fee somewhere between what Coutinho cost Barca and what Mbappe cost PSG.

A guy who can make those runs, bully and outrace defenders...Bruno would love this guy

Would love him but feels like we just don’t win transfer races. Can see chelsea being all over him. The only saving grace is chelsea can no longer offer 45 year contracts to players and also don’t have champions league football to offer.

Would love him but feels like we just don’t win transfer races. Can see chelsea being all over him. The only saving grace is chelsea can no longer offer 45 year contracts to players and also don’t have champions league football to offer.
And I thought a 5yr contract was being generous :wenger:

Tbf to Rashford and Antony I would suspect that to a large degree the lack of crosses is an active and very changeable choice on the manager's part.

This season we've averaged fewer crosses per game than we have in any of the previous six seasons, beyond which fbref doesn't have stats for crosses. And also just 60% of the crosses Ajax averaged per game in ETH's last season there.

And on an individual level Bruno has put in the lowest rate of crosses in his recorded career thus far, ditto Rashford, ditto Antony, Dalot the fewest since he joined United and Shaw half the crosses that he did in previous two seasons. Etc etc.

Which makes sense given one of the main issues in our attack this season has been the lack of that classic centre-forward threat in the box. Our main goal threat is Rashford, not that sort of player in the slightest. Neither is Martial. Ronaldo while great in the air wasn't a #9 and was constantly looking to vactate that position. And the 6'6" Weghorst has been both surprisingly unimpressive in the air and surprisingly utilised in a deeper position in a lot of games.

Put an actual aerial threat into the team as a constant presence in the opposition box and I think you'd see that tactical shift. Wide attackers aside, it's easy to imagine Bruno and Eriksen (our current two most prolific crossers of the ball) benefiting a lot from having that classic CF to target as well.

Marcus isn't the best crosser of the ball because his technique isn't the best. Yes, he can pelt a ball at pace as a pass over a long distance, but he's not a natural winger nor is it his first or second instinct to service a center forward or goal scoring front line player. Marcus has fully committed himself to being a standout front line scoring player and long may it continue.

Rashford has become the tip of the spear player in that he has been told to get into positions to score and finish off moves. It's very clear that the less he can do in the build up, the better. He's positioning himself and making runs or getting the ball closer to goal and towards goal where he can shoot and finish.

Weghorst is not a traditional lump of a 9 who wanted aerial service. That was extremely evident by posters who knew of his time in Germany and why he was considered a failure at Burnley. Sean Dyche used Weghorst like he did Ashley Barnes and it didn't work out because they are two different players. Weghorst also has mentioned this before, that he's a player who wants the ball at his feet or space and not the knock on target man who will get bombarded with crosses.

The tactical shift is to get a much more well rounded CF who allows the forward line to be flexible and unpredictable. Find the next Harry Kane or Wayne Rooney and put them into the side with Marcus. Marcus has played off the left, but been shifted through the center. Bruno has played on the right much more. Weghorst plays behind Marcus, etc.

The good thing is if Osimhen is signed, then another CF will have to be signed who is serviceable and a little different such as Weghorst, Thuram, or Martial for another year.

The guy is a confirmed United fan and spoke of his PL dream just the other week. Let’s not fumble this one.
It has feck all to do with who he is a fan of and I have read nothing to suggest that he is.
Unless Real or a couple of clubs outside of England are interested then the majority of players will say they would love to play in the Premier League as that is where it is happening at the moment.

Boehley will probably be the only one to meet Napoli’s demands and ensure they make a decent profit m

Isn't ETH a possession manager, as many thought? Will he improve the team's possession to suit ETH's "style"??

Isn't ETH a possession manager, as many thought? Will he improve the team's possession to suit ETH's "style"??
Napoli is a possession based team. Other than Pep's midfield oriented system, other possession based team has no issue around a traditional no 9. ETH had Haller as his top scorer.

The issue now is whether we can supply Oshimhen as well because Rashford is more of a scorer than supplier. Antony and our RB crossing is inconsistent. We don't just want our expensive CF to be Welbeck/ improved Weghorst

Osimhen is clearly one of the better CF there is right now, but my preference would be Kane because in theory, Kane would fit in with Rashford better. Rashford is not very different than Son approach to attack. Kane can handle both creating for his partner and scoring himself.

Napoli is a possession based team. Other than Pep's midfield oriented system, other possession based team has no issue around a traditional no 9. ETH had Haller as his top scorer.

The issue now is whether we can supply Oshimhen as well because Rashford is more of a scorer than supplier. Antony and our RB crossing is inconsistent. We don't just want our expensive CF to be Welbeck/ improved Weghorst

Osimhen is clearly one of the better CF there is right now, but my preference would be Kane because in theory, Kane would fit in with Rashford better. Rashford is not very different than Son approach to attack. Kane can handle both creating for his partner and scoring himself.
That’s fair but I think from what I read wheee Osimhen excels is that he’s hyper aggressive without the ball too which is very important nowadays unless you have the quality to offset that. Kane wins headers but others he’s not a very unsettling striker to face in terms of pressure. I’m very wary of us once again becoming a lethargic team that can’t deal with the intensity of big teams. Maybe that contributed to Kane’s big game defeats too, not sure.

That’s fair but I think from what I read wheee Osimhen excels is that he’s hyper aggressive without the ball too which is very important nowadays unless you have the quality to offset that. Kane wins headers but others he’s not a very unsettling striker to face in terms of pressure. I’m very wary of us once again becoming a lethargic team that can’t deal with the intensity of big teams. Maybe that contributed to Kane’s big game defeats too, not sure.
Oshimhen is like Drogba, Saha that he athletically can dominate, outjump his marker. Kane is more RVN approach h to hold up play. He positioned, and back into his marker prevent them to win/challenge for the ball himself.

Kane may be less a frontline pressing machine, but he's one of the best forward that would go into that no 10 seamlessly in games. In the more crowded midfield area, you don't need to be very fast, or cover a lot of space to be efficient at pressing. So again in theory, ETH may be able to switch thing up leaving Rashford up front when opposition had more possession. To have Kane drop into midfield in similar role which Weghorst is deployed at times. Doesn't need to run around a lot like Weghorst (I believe Weghorst does the headless chicken pressing type than efficient pressing). Kane has been playing this withdrew role for a while with great success where he gained another dimension in his ability in play making, chance creation.

Rashford great record against big teams is what we can rely and likely maintain. In theory, if Kane works as well as I think, he would be great foil for Rashford in those games/ situation while Kane himself can handle the flat track bully stuff. That's win/win.

We need to get him as priority if we wish to mount a serious title challenge next season