Victor Osimhen | out of options | goes to Gala on loan

He seems to be the forward with the most hype at the moment - I understand his strenghts, but can someone break down his weaknesses for me?

It seems to me that his weaknesses are essentially Jesus's strengths, and Jesus has slotted in seamlessly and hit the ground running with his selfless link-up play. Could Osimhen do the same thing?

I feel like his game is very different to Jesus's, and I can't tell if that would be a good or bad thing for us. Right now I'm leaning towards bad.

He seems to be the forward with the most hype at the moment - I understand his strenghts, but can someone break down his weaknesses for me?

It seems to me that his weaknesses are essentially Jesus's strengths, and Jesus has slotted in seamlessly and hit the ground running with his selfless link-up play. Could Osimhen do the same thing?

I feel like his game is very different to Jesus's, and I can't tell if that would be a good or bad thing for us. Right now I'm leaning towards bad.

Honestly him and Haaland are fairly similar. Haaland is more of a physical freak, but Osimhen's superb in that regard too.

For some reason FBref has gotten rid of pressures p90 for attackers, but I believe Osimhen works/presses more from the front than Haaland does, but Haaland overperforms his xG more.

But they both have similar weaknesses. Not really a striker to create for others and they don't contribute that much outside of the box I'd say compared to someone like a Benzema/Kane.

I haven't watched Osimhen that much, so someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but his link-up play/passing is pretty much similar to Haaland's the last time I watched him.

Him and Jesus aren't alike at all.

He is uncatchable in Serie A but you all know it is a more tactical / slower league, which suits his sharpness perfectly, when coupled with the possession-based yet extremely transitional Spallettiball. It remains to be seen how he fares in the one vs one/two/three against comparable athletes such the most he will find in the PL. It also remains to be seen how he fares in a more pragmatic / lower tempo setup, if you want him at United.

If you want a comparison, think of Immobile, who is a transitional monster yet pretty limited outside of that (as his abroad and NT experience proved too well). Osimhen has a different engine for sure but his buyer will be paying for peak (150m according to the latest words of De Laurentiis) not for potential (half that sum) with, say, the currently subdued Vlahovic who has all the tools but not the finished article yet.

He is uncatchable in Serie A but you all know it is a more tactical / slower league, which suits his sharpness perfectly, when coupled with the possession-based yet extremely transitional Spallettiball. It remains to be seen how he fares in the one vs one/two/three against comparable athletes such the most he will find in the PL. It also remains to be seen how he fares in a more pragmatic / lower tempo setup, if you want him at United.

If you want a comparison, think of Immobile, who is a transitional monster yet pretty limited outside of that (as his abroad and NT experience proved too well). Osimhen has a different engine for sure but his buyer will be paying for peak (150m according to the latest words of De Laurentiis) not for potential (half that sum) with, say, the currently subdued Vlahovic who has all the tools but not the finished article yet.
Presuming that you are Italian but is it still accurate to call the Italian league a more tactical and slower league? I think Atalanta, Napoli and Lazio teams in recent years have played really quick paced football that is as exciting as pretty much any top league elsewhere is playing.

I think Osimhen is always going to get goals even outside of counter-attacks due to his heading ability and because he's so good off the ball. He also makes runs which tear defences all over the place but unlike a lot of our other forwards, he isn't afraid to run into congested areas where he will be required to compete. Our other players tend to shy away from these runs preferring to move where there's space instead. I always wished we could have signed Cavani when he was in his mid-20s and I feel that Osimhen could offer similar qualities.

Presuming that you are Italian but is it still accurate to call the Italian league a more tactical and slower league? I think Atalanta, Napoli and Lazio teams in recent years have played really quick paced football that is as exciting as pretty much any top league elsewhere is playing.

I think Osimhen is always going to get goals even outside of counter-attacks due to his heading ability and because he's so good off the ball. He also makes runs which tear defences all over the place but unlike a lot of our other forwards, he isn't afraid to run into congested areas where he will be required to compete. Our other players tend to shy away from these runs preferring to move where there's space instead. I always wished we could have signed Cavani when he was in his mid-20s and I feel that Osimhen could offer similar qualities.

Feel like the only thing that Kane has over him is the playmaking ability,yes he isn't Premier League proven but that's not essential

Feel like the only thing that Kane has over him is the playmaking ability,yes he isn't Premier League proven but that's not essential
That, and finishing.

In fact you could turn it round and say the only things Osimhen has over Kane are age and speed.

Be delighted with either.

I prefer Kane, better finisher, better at playmaking. But Osimhen is a beast and if he comes I’ll be delighted.

Wonder if he who shan't be named being kept is affecting our move for this guy

How is his hold up play? With Rashford/Garnacho already the ones stretching defences, maybe a Kane is what we need more than Osimhen.

Wonder if he who shan't be named being kept is affecting our move for this guy

I don't think so, I reckon summer he'll be integrated as a right winger to contest with Antony. For what ETH seemingly looks for in a striker the profile of Osimhen/ Kolo-Muani is ideal.

Don’t think he’s good enough in possession, alongside rashford and bruno I don’t think we’d sustain attacks enough to dominate games. If we signed him alongside Kvaratskhelia we’d be sound.

Wouldn’t object to the Qataris coming in and buying both.

I don't think so, I reckon summer he'll be integrated as a right winger to contest with Antony. For what ETH seemingly looks for in a striker the profile of Osimhen/ Kolo-Muani is ideal.

Greenwood will hopefully be released in due course. I don't think many have the appetite for seeing him back here. Couple that with the prospect of Qatari ownership and it's enough to make you walk away from it all.

With regards to ETHs ideal Striker, I have thought for a while that Kane is ideal. I'd personally not like that signing, but I reckon ETH will like it. He's his perfect target man/false 9 that can link up well and score goals. As much as we'd all prefer Osimhen, he's not as sure a thing as Kane in the PL. On top of that, I reckon Napoli are just going to tell everyone to feck off. They're one club that won't be bullied into selling until it suits them, and they're building something good that could see them being a genuine CL contender, perhaps this season.

How is his hold up play? With Rashford/Garnacho already the ones stretching defences, maybe a Kane is what we need more than Osimhen.
That’s essentially one player. Both are left forwards who play the same role. Very rarely will they be on the field at the same time. You could flip that and say we only have one of Rashford and Garnacho stretching defences, making us one dimensional. Antony is a ball to feet player, Fernandes isn’t getting past anyone. The no.9 being another slow forward would be iffy. The ideal is a fully fit AM9 (or a player of his skillset) - who is basically a halfway house between Osimhen and Kane in terms of technical holdup and pace. :(

I mean this guy is having a good season but hes 24 years of age and has been nothing but average for the last 7 years. Granted he has his best in front of him but £100 million.

Look at the mistakes already made.

Sancho
Anthony

Maybe keep looking

I mean this guy is having a good season but hes 24 years of age and has been nothing but average for the last 7 years. Granted he has his best in front of him but £100 million.

Sancho
Anthony

Maybe keep looking

Joke of a post :lol:

That’s essentially one player. Both are left forwards who play the same role. Very rarely will they be on the field at the same time. You could flip that and say we only have one of Rashford and Garnacho stretching defences, making us one dimensional. Antony is a ball to feet player, Fernandes isn’t getting past anyone. The no.9 being another slow forward would be iffy. The ideal is a fully fit AM9 (or a player of his skillset) - who is basically a halfway house between Osimhen and Kane in terms of technical holdup and pace. :(
An in form Martial really is the perfect striker for Eth system . The closest to that on the market would be Goncalo Ramos

I am Italian :D and Osimhen is not a prospective Cavani… more of a prime Fernando Torres, if you like and as such a perfect fit in a Klopp side imho. That said, he would surely add something you currently lack on to your front side.

An in form Martial really is the perfect striker for Eth system . The closest to that on the market would be Goncalo Ramos

what??? Martial can't press a sandwich let alone a player on the pitch.

Ramos is certainly a player in contention or should be behind the likes of Kane and Osimhen.

Ideal striker would be RVN or Saha that we've had in the past

what??? Martial can't press a sandwich let alone a player on the pitch.
“But the quality of Anthony Martial is so important for our match, for our game. He has the right movements, his ball security. So, he brings a lot for the team. Pressing, let’s not forget that."
-----
''But, [be] quite clear, in my way of playing I like the type [of player] Antony Martial is, because he can hold the ball,'' added Ten Hag.

''He is a [also] a target, he can link up, but he can also run behind.

''He has speed, he can finish, and he has good pressure [presses well]."
-------
Two separate quotes from the manager at two separate instances.

Can see him getting another couple of goals tonight. His price tag will keep shooting up.

“But the quality of Anthony Martial is so important for our match, for our game. He has the right movements, his ball security. So, he brings a lot for the team. Pressing, let’s not forget that."
-----
''But, [be] quite clear, in my way of playing I like the type [of player] Antony Martial is, because he can hold the ball,'' added Ten Hag.

''He is a [also] a target, he can link up, but he can also run behind.

''He has speed, he can finish, and he has good pressure [presses well]."
-------
Two separate quotes from the manager at two separate instances.

That is coaches speak....you've watched Martial play at United and outside of pace and the occasional hold up play, is any of that real truth on a consistent basis??

That is coaches speak....you've watched Martial play at United and outside of pace and the occasional hold up play, is any of that real truth on a consistent basis??
Yes?

ok...then you see someone completely different than i do and most others

the amount of times you go in a match thread and they are talking about how lazy martial is, he doesn't press....it's abundant to say the least

Sancho
Anthony

Maybe keep looking
To be fair, if a big and rich PL club shows an interest to an in-form attacker, he will cost 100m right away in today's market.

To be fair, he did say an in-form Martial. Even if Martial isn't a relentless presser, his ability in tight spaces, hold up play and dribbling ability (even though he has lost that a bit, he used to have exquisite close control) make up for that, so he's pretty much a perfect Ten Hag striker.

I wonder if many United fans are basing their opinion of him on a goals compilation and a useful half against Liverpool in the CL.

The lad is really dynamic and a physical handful for defenders. He can also finish. Great header of the ball. But I'm not seeing a world class striker there, I'm not.

He's a bit untidy on the ball, lots of loose touches and gangly control. Nothing terrible but that kind of thing can bite you at top level where first touches under pressure are crucial. He's 24 now and his technique is not going to get much better.

I do think he'll score goals in the premier league, and also aid our attacking in other ways (running the channels, forcing defences into a deeper line etc), but there's nothing to suggest he'll be getting 30 a season or anything. I like him, but I just don't think he's the top class sure thing many are painting him as. He's a risk, a very expensive risk. Probably one worth taking if we have a lot to spend, but we should at least consider other options, especially if it allows more money to be spent on the midfield.

Who is this clown?
German journalist that is actually quite reliable when it comes to Bayern. He was the first one to report the Mané and de Ligt transfers for example.

I don't know about his track record about other clubs but because Bayern and Kane are linked so much for over a year now, I can imagine that he also heard about your interest in Kane.

I wonder if many United fans are basing their opinion of him on a goals compilation and a useful half against Liverpool in the CL.

The lad is really dynamic and a physical handful for defenders. He can also finish. Great header of the ball. But I'm not seeing a world class striker there, I'm not.

He's a bit untidy on the ball, lots of loose touches and gangly control. Nothing terrible but that kind of thing can bite you at top level where first touches under pressure are crucial. He's 24 now and his technique is not going to get much better.

I do think he'll score goals in the premier league, and also aid our attacking in other ways (running the channels, forcing defences into a deeper line etc), but there's nothing to suggest he'll be getting 30 a season or anything. I like him, but I just don't think he's the top class sure thing many are painting him as. He's a risk, a very expensive risk. Probably one worth taking if we have a lot to spend, but we should at least consider other options, especially if it allows more money to be spent on the midfield.

I'm not sure if you're talking about in the league only here, or overall with domestic cups and Champions League included but I assume it's the league. We don't need him to score 30 goals a season, because our aim should be to have several goal scorers across the team instead of relying on one centre forward to do the job. Besides, you wouldn't find any striker in the world that would score 30 a season in the league, apart from Haaland and maybe Kane. However, Lukaku scored 25 goals in Premier League only in his last season for Everton where they ended up 7th, so what's to stop Osimhen from doing the same for United when we're a team that consistently create a lot of chances? Our problem is that we often have no player to finish them.
The promising sign with Osimhen is that he has become a better striker each year and for a 24 year old striker who is not even in his peak, signs are good and he's doing very well. I've seen him have bad touches, and I've seen him have world class ones. He's certainly no Lukaku, and no strikers these days are complete. I'd say Osimhen is the one with highest potential and would cause havoc for defenders similarly to Haaland, but he is also the most expensive, so we should absolutely be certain about him before signing him.

I agree with this.

He looks gangly and awkward to me. He might be effective like Drogba though who wasn't very technical or he could be a Lukaku.

The speed of the PL means you need perfect touch.

I've a feeling ETH doesn't fancy him anyway.

I think he'll buy someone a bit off the radar like Kudus maybe.