Victor Osimhen | out of options | goes to Gala on loan

I'm still on the fence with Osimhen, especially for the likely fee - he's absolutely rapid but seems reliant on service. I've not yet seen him offer too much else beyond finishing. His pace may not be as useful against PL defences parking the bus.

Today he also seemed to forget a couple of times what the offside rule was in his eagerness to try and score, but I guess that can at least in theory be coached in to him.

What a clown. You react like that and come at me for my "football opinions" when you're spouting shite like this. Thank god you're on limited posts. "Rare talent" :lol:

I said specifically that Martial's link-up play in tight areas is a rare talent - and it is.

If it's not then name some strikers who are better at it than him?!

Last edited:
Re Osimhen, it's mad how quickly opinions have changed of him. Just go back to the first page for a little taste of previous opinions.
I mean, is it really mad? This is Osimhen's first top quality season. I think he had some annoying injuries in previous years and such that could explain it but he wasn't always like this.

Reminds me of Salah exploding in 2017/18 while looking like your average pace merchant at Roma.

Re Osimhen, it's mad how quickly opinions have changed of him. Just go back to the first page for a little taste of previous opinions.

Not really that mad. He's finally having a season without major disruption and he's flourishing. He's scored a crazy amount of goals this season of all types. We only saw it in patches before now. H

I mean, is it really mad? This is Osimhen's first top quality season. I think he had some annoying injuries in previous years and such that could explain it but he wasn't always like this.

Reminds me of Salah exploding in 2017/18 while looking like your average pace merchant at Roma.
I don't think he's on different level this season than he was last season before the injury. He gets the universal recognition now because our link with him, and Napoli is currently one of most in form teams in Europe with him being their top scorer.

Many people previously didn't watch Serie A, and based their opinion on highlight which he's not a silky supreme technical player. They don't recognize the less flashy thing like work rate, athleticism, aerial ability without watching games.

Last edited:
I watched quite a bit of Serie A highlights last season and I thought Osimhen was very good. Granted I only ever watch the 3 minute YouTube highlights with Napoli, but whenever he has goal contributions be that a goal or an assist, often they're not easy. People also say he doesn't have great link up, yes it's not Kane or Martial level but I've seen him create some very good chances and goals. I think you can accept the lower link up ability in return for the extra goal scoring threat.

Nice goal....but the majority of the work for that goal is on the winger who played in a magnificent ball

He always looked a high-level goal threat, people just tended to underestimate to what extent as his end of season tallies were impacted by reduced minutes and not taking penalties.

Even with that though, he's definitely stepped up a level this season.

I do wonder how he'd gel with Rashford. Marcus would obviously benefit from his high-intensity work-rate, but might find himself making similar runs on the break. I can't really imagine Rashford feeing off him too well, or vice-versa.

Why aren't Real in for this bloke if he is any good or Chelsea come to that?
If we are the only ones interested then we should not pay more than 50-60mil as he is performing in basically a geriatric league.

I do wonder how he'd gel with Rashford. Marcus would obviously benefit from his high-intensity work-rate, but might find himself making similar runs on the break. I can't really imagine Rashford feeing off him too well, or vice-versa.

I have thought similar. I dont think they'd be the right pairing myself.

I'd actually prefer Vlahovic to him I think. Think he would compliment what we already have a lot more.

I have thought similar. I dont think they'd be the right pairing myself.

I'd actually prefer Vlahovic to him I think. Think he would compliment what we already have a lot more.

Vlahovic is currently far away from the level we should aspire to be and it's not even close between him and Osimhen. Surprised every time I see his name mentioned, and I don't think anyone that watches Juventus matches wants him to be our main striker.

If we are the only ones interested then we should not pay more than 50-60mil as he is performing in basically a geriatric league.
Napoli themselves paid £70m for Osimhen so no chance of that. He'll likely cost north of £100m if Napoli sell.

Napoli themselves paid £70m for Osimhen so no chance of that. He'll likely cost north of £100m if Napoli sell.

Hes an elite level striker so of course it'd be around £100m given his age

Osimhen is going to cost £120m i would bet....while he's a fantastic striker i think you could get Khvicha for 60-65m considering he only cost them 12m and Kudus for probably 40-45m. That IMO would be a much smarter move by United.

Osimhen is going to cost £120m i would bet....while he's a fantastic striker i think you could get Khvicha for 60-65m considering he only cost them 12m and Kudus for probably 40-45m. That IMO would be a much smarter move by United.

Napoli ain’t selling Khvicha for less than £100m.

Napoli would have to pay more to replace him. Napoli normally is difficult to negotiate with. No way now with a Serie A title and stable CL income, they do a fast one when he's every potential to become 100mil+ player.

Osimhen may be the one they sell first because the demand means easier to get the most out of his sale. But it's all guess. Napoli may not need to sell.

Napoli are the Spurs of Italy; they don't sell unless at an extortionate value for players at their peak or on the rise. That's why Koulibaliy finally went for what he did below that ridiculous £80m tag for the past 5+ years

Comparing Osimhen so far this season with Haaland's last four seasons (so including stats from the weaker German league as well as his stats so far in England), per 90 and without penalties.

Osimhen - 1.03 goals, 0.71 xG

Haaland 19/20 - 1.10 goals, 0.74 xG
Haaland 20/21 - 0.93 goals, 0.76 xG
Haaland 21/22 - 0.75 goals, 0.62 xG
Haaland 22/23 - 1.06 goals, 0.72 xG

So he's effectively having a Haaland-level goalscoring season. And while his previous two seasons weren't as good, they still stack up just fine compared to some other top strikers we might have an interest in.

Osimhen 20/21 - 0.57 goals, 0.61 xG
Osimhen 21/22 - 0.64 goals, 0.48 xG

Kane 19/20 - 0.56 goals, 0.38 xG
Kane 20/21 - 0.55 goals, 0.49 xG
Kane 21/22 - 0.36 goals, 0.43 xG
Kane 22/23 - 0.63 goals, 0.45 xG

Obviously Kane was performing in a tougher league across those seasons, but then he was also a lot further along in his development at 26-29 years old than Osimhen at 21-23.

And because people sometimes make the "Lukaku tore up Serie A as well" argument as a diss, a comparison of the two to highlight the difference.

Osimhen 22/23 - 1.03 goals, 0.71 xG

Lukaku 17/18 - 0.50 goals, 0.39
Lukaku 18/19 - 0.51 goals, 0.44
Lukaku 19/20 - 0.51 goals, 0.43
Lukaku 20/21 - 0.56 goals, 0.57

So whether for United or Inter, peak Lukaku's best season wasn't as good as the worst of Osimhen's three at Napoli thus far, let alone his best in which he is scoring at quite literally twice the rate.

In this case I don't think the numbers lie, this guy is a straightforward elite striker.

Last edited:
That’s a joke right? Based on this season form I am sure 50-60m wouldn’t be enough to buy his left leg or something. If I remembered correctly before this season starts Napoli is already asking 100m for him. His stocks has surely gone sky high since then.

Because he is valued at 130m, Real Madrid have Benzema who is still world class, so.... Yeah. Chelsea is in for him of course but different question is if he'd want to leave a genuine dark horse for the CL who will win the title for a random other team who isn't competing. Which the answer seems like no.

Napoli paid 70m for him a few years ago as he was a very highly rated young forward. He's developed as was hoped and looks a world class striker this year. So yeah. His price is his price.

He doesn't go wide of either center back very often when I've seem him for Napoli, so the left side of the pitch should still be open for Rashford. We'd play with them basically up top and then either Antony wide right, Bruno tucked in right to give us 4 in midfield or Amad maybe in time able to play both ways.

So I think the spacing is fine. Osimhen seems to properly occupy both CBs at all times, so you get Rashford 1 on 1 vs the RB, and my guess is we'd probably see a fair bit more 3/5 at the back from teams that are comfortable playing both, so like another 5 or 6 times a season.

If we are sold to Qatar I could honestly care less about the fee. Unsure if SJR will care as technically it would just be the club spending its own funds but who knows.

He doesn't go wide of either center back very often when I've seem him for Napoli, so the left side of the pitch should still be open for Rashford. We'd play with them basically up top and then either Antony wide right, Bruno tucked in right to give us 4 in midfield or Amad maybe in time able to play both ways.

So I think the spacing is fine. Osimhen seems to properly occupy both CBs at all times, so you get Rashford 1 on 1 vs the RB, and my guess is we'd probably see a fair bit more 3/5 at the back from teams that are comfortable playing both, so like another 5 or 6 times a season.

And when he does drift wide (particularly on counters) he favours the right side of the pitch.

Comparing Osimhen so far this season with Haaland's last four seasons (so including stats from the weaker German league as well as his stats so far in England), per 90 and without penalties.

So he's effectively having a Haaland-level goalscoring season. And while his previous two seasons weren't as good, they still stack up just fine compared to some other top strikers we might have an interest in.

Obviously Kane was performing in a tougher league across those seasons, but then he was also a lot further along in his development at 26-29 years old than Osimhen at 21-23.

And because people sometimes make the "Lukaku tore up Serie A as well" argument as a diss, a comparison of the two to highlight the difference.

So whether for United or Inter, peak Lukaku's best season wasn't as good as the worst of Osimhen's three at Napoli thus far, let alone his best in which he is scoring at quite literally twice the rate.

In this case I don't think the numbers lie, this guy is a straightforward elite striker.
His goalscoring has just taken off this season. He used to miss quite a few sitters every now and then, now he is converting half chances. Some of the goals he has scored would have very low xG

I've seen enough of Osimhen in Serie A and CL to know that he's a legit (15 to 20+ in domestic league) scoring CF with movement, power, pace, and finishing ability. He also is committed to working off the ball when it comes to pressing and closing down. His mentality seems to be good and healthy, as in very driven to succeed.

Final question marks include:
- Ability to get others involved on the ball (i.e. link up play, passing, decoy runs to make space - he won't be as 1 dimensional in EtH's system like Haaland is for City)
- Mentality and attitude when it's team first EtH ball and if he's not directly scoring (can he check his ego at the door)
- Injury record (he's been relatively injury free during 22/23 season, thus his output is very good)
- How much can he impact the team without much service (his physical superiority in Serie A is very clear and the service he gets has been consistently very good - EtH continues to talk about Rashford getting into the correct places and timing, Osimhen will need to adapt and improve in this regard as well if he comes into the club)
- How he jives with another tip of the spear player like Marcus

If United go for him and get him, they still need a viable backup even like Wout and/or Martial because of all the question marks on Osimhen, injuries are the great equalizer. Cannot put all the center forward eggs in his basket, as United really need to invest in another backup.

Kvara is already 100m +, though I don't think he would want to go. Long term I only really see him going to Barca or Arsenal if he wants to come to the prem and they keep it up. Maybe Bayern too. Given the fee I just think the others won't push for him given loads of teams have quality LWs where spending over 100m isn't the best idea. So in that case, they just keep him.

Just wanted to pop in to say he scuffed both of his goals, including the disallowed one :lol:

He does play with real venom and intensity, which is great.

I've seen enough of Osimhen in Serie A and CL to know that he's a legit (15 to 20+ in domestic league) scoring CF with movement, power, pace, and finishing ability. He also is committed to working off the ball when it comes to pressing and closing down. His mentality seems to be good and healthy, as in very driven to succeed.

Final question marks include:
- Ability to get others involved on the ball (i.e. link up play, passing, decoy runs to make space - he won't be as 1 dimensional in EtH's system like Haaland is for City)
- Mentality and attitude when it's team first EtH ball and if he's not directly scoring (can he check his ego at the door)
- Injury record (he's been relatively injury free during 22/23 season, thus his output is very good)
- How much can he impact the team without much service (his physical superiority in Serie A is very clear and the service he gets has been consistently very good - EtH continues to talk about Rashford getting into the correct places and timing, Osimhen will need to adapt and improve in this regard as well if he comes into the club)
- How he jives with another tip of the spear player like Marcus

If United go for him and get him, they still need a viable backup even like Wout and/or Martial because of all the question marks on Osimhen, injuries are the great equalizer. Cannot put all the center forward eggs in his basket, as United really need to invest in another backup.
I’ll admit I know very little about the player from what I read he’s the kind of CF who plays on the edge of the last defender. That’s one thing that makes me wary. For the fee quoted I’d want a striker capable of holding the ball up well in congested spaces and linking play well which by all accounts isn’t part of his skill set.

I’d take a slightly less prolific striker to get someone who does that as I do think with Bruno, Sancho, Antony and Rashford we have creativity and goals to make up for it. But another player on the periphery of games will hurt us and push us further towards the usual counter attack United we have been for years. That’s why we look so good whenMartial is fit and contributing as his link up play is quality.

I’ll admit I know very little about the player from what I read he’s the kind of CF who plays on the edge of the last defender. That’s one thing that makes me wary. For the fee quoted I’d want a striker capable of holding the ball up well in congested spaces and linking play well which by all accounts isn’t part of his skill set.

I’d take a slightly less prolific striker to get someone who does that as I do think with Bruno, Sancho, Antony and Rashford we have creativity and goals to make up for it. But another player on the periphery of games will hurt us and push us further towards the usual counter attack United we have been for years. That’s why we look so good whenMartial is fit and contributing as his link up play is quality.

Osimhen doesn't only play on the defender's shoulder, but his overall ability to get his teammates involved through the center is not the best. Average most of the time and how he is being used at Napoli maximizes his best skills, which is great. I just don't know if it goes best with what EtH is building at United.

If Bruno and Sancho/Antony play this positional fluid but disciplined game where they can provide good service and still score, then having players like Marcus and Osimhen finishing the chances created will cause problems.

But the well balanced CF like a fit Martial or Kane or Rooney type players, they can finish and provide service and link up...that's the player I see best for EtH and what he is building and that's unpredictability in attack. Marcus is more direct and final touch for goal, Bruno and Sancho are primary creators but can score. Antony progress the ball and keeps the width while winning the ball back with Bruno higher up the pitch. The CF can do everything at any time.

And he gets better every season. As with strikers the older they get the better their finishing bcomes. So signing him seems like a no brainer if we can't get Kane.

Osimhen doesn't only play on the defender's shoulder, but his overall ability to get his teammates involved through the center is not the best. Average most of the time and how he is being used at Napoli maximizes his best skills, which is great. I just don't know if it goes best with what EtH is building at United.

If Bruno and Sancho/Antony play this positional fluid but disciplined game where they can provide good service and still score, then having players like Marcus and Osimhen finishing the chances created will cause problems.

But the well balanced CF like a fit Martial or Kane or Rooney type players, they can finish and provide service and link up...that's the player I see best for EtH and what he is building and that's unpredictability in attack. Marcus is more direct and final touch for goal, Bruno and Sancho are primary creators but can score. Antony progress the ball and keeps the width while winning the ball back with Bruno higher up the pitch. The CF can do everything at any time.
Absolutely. I think we have a lot of impact players especially our main two - Bruno and Rashford who can at times be really sloppy and not involved (latter) in the buildup so to offset that you need a centre forward who play calmly out of trouble and involve others

I'm not sure it's out of his skill set. The 3-4 times I've seen Napoli this year so far they just haven't asked him to do it. They play directly while keeping possession, and look to hit quick balls over the top to Osimhen or get the wingers on the ball to run at defenders, not play it into Osimhen's feet. The trade off for missing out on link play is not just Osimhen getting in behind, but it also occupies both CBs and leaves the wide men 1 on 1 and also Zielinski can get into good spots when he's wide of the DM.

We best go all in for this guy. He’s an ETH player and will thrive for us. Will easily get 20+ goals a season. Imagine a double act of him and rashford. Defenders won’t be ready for that!

Hey dude can we get goals + assist stats so we can see the overall ability of the strikers you have mentioned?

Thuram would be a strong free transfer, but biggest concern about Toney is his behavior and interests away from football (i.e., gambling history, approach to football - is it your life in this moment or part of your lifestyle like a diva). His skill set would be great at United, but also at what cost?