Victor Osimhen | out of options | goes to Gala on loan

Nope, watch the highlights of the Napoli vs Sassuolo game on youtube - Osimhen fluffs two really simple chances.

I'm getting the Nunez comparisons - good athlete but seemingly not always in control of the ball and his finishing seems to randomly veer from good to wild.

I really think Rashford is a better CF than him now.

Will be interesting to see how he manages against Frankfurt.
Osimhen is just a much better centre forward than Rashford and he generates almost double the shots a game that Rashford does and having seen his shot map, the positions he takes his shots from are excellent. Osimhen can therefore afford to fluff a chance a game in the way that Rashford simply can't because Rashford's box movement just isn't near elite even if his finishing is excellent.

What is his pressing and work rate like compared to Weghorst? Because that feels like that is the only reason he is in the team at the moment.

What is his pressing and work rate like compared to Weghorst? Because that feels like that is the only reason he is in the team at the moment.

Spalletti talks about it after the game against Sassuolo... in a response concerning a possible injury;

“For what was assessed there straight away, it doesn’t look like anything special, just a bit of tiredness because he can’t spare himself.

“When he has this urge to push, he stretches and does these runs where you don’t know where he’ll end up.

“He says he can hardly do it anymore and will go two metres, then those two metres become two hundred because he goes after everyone”, he told DAZN.

Last edited:
Mbappe would score just as many in every other league in the world.

How exactly would he score as many goals as he does in a completely dominant PSG side against absolute garbage defences? That's not going to happen. He would of course score tons of goals and assists but not as much as he has done for PSG in Ligue 1 over the last seasons.

How exactly would he score as many goals as he does in a completely dominant PSG side against absolute garbage defences? That's not going to happen. He would of course score tons of goals and assists but not as much as he has done for PSG in Ligue 1 over the last seasons.
Pretty sure he would. He's the best player in the world. Haaland is tapping in just as many as he did in Germany. More actually.

How much would he worth in current market?

Is there a chance we could get him for 150m?

I think he'll be around that price. Between 130-150M.
Unfortunately I think so too, and it's too steep in my eyes. Rashford at the moment is playing out of his skin and arguable a better player.

I think we still need a CF, and if you asked me 3 months ago I would have said either Osimhen or Kane of course. But if we already have a guy scoring potentially 30+ do we need to break the bank?

Maybe we can risk on a younger prospect and fix the midfield? Can EtH keep Rashford scoring the goals, and get more goals from Sancho, Bruno, Antony and Garnacho? Can we sign an 8 like Bellingham instead who can pitch in?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love if we did sign Kane or Osimhen in the summer, but only for reasonable money and not at the expense of solving our other problems when it seems that a lethal forward is no longer a need currently.

I do get the idea or Rashford off the left and still smashing them in alongside a clinical CF, but I think only Kane can play that role of creator that can still score 30 himself. Osimhen is more of a predator in the Napoli team reliant on Kvaratskhelia supplying the ammunition to him.

I would be surprised if Rashford's form has not at least triggered a rethink for what exactly we need in the summer.

I still feel like we should have gone for him instead of Antony tbh.

I still feel like we should have gone for him instead of Antony tbh.

Even if not him, even if not a centre forward - but I think we for sure need one more direct threat in the attack, and preferably a ball carrier. Antony isn’t either of those things.

The option of having two players to stretch defences would make us so much mire threatening. Whether that be two wide men like Mane and Salah, or one wide and one central like Saint Maximin and Isak. But this idea of Rashford surrounded by one-paced players limits us. Especially as it makes us so much weaker if Rashford can’t play, or when he meets a Kyle Walker. Adding a secondary runner in Garnacho against City immediately changed the game. I’m not really sure the point of Antony so far tbh.

Even if not him, even if not a centre forward - but I think we for sure need one more direct threat in the attack, and preferably a ball carrier. Antony isn’t either of those things.

Antony is an excellent ball carrier.

Nope, watch the highlights of the Napoli vs Sassuolo game on youtube - Osimhen fluffs two really simple chances.

I'm getting the Nunez comparisons - good athlete but seemingly not always in control of the ball and his finishing seems to randomly veer from good to wild.

I really think Rashford is a better CF than him now.

Will be interesting to see how he manages against Frankfurt.

Horrible comparison.

Do you think the Portugese league is on par with Serie A?

Seems to have ten hags preffered player personality. osimhen would make us a rapid physical team but Kane would make us fluid. Glad the choice is on him. If we get new owners i dont think osimhen would be imPossible to get.

For such a young age he is at 85% in progressive carries so you are wrong.

According to Fbref (that use OPTA), he is in the;

93rd percentile for numbers of carries,
90th percentile for number of progressive carries,
96th percentile for number of carries into the final third,
92nd percentile for number of yards carried,
90th percentile for number of progressive yards carried,

Combined with being in 90th and 98th percentile for miscontrols and dispossessed I would argue that it good numbers. Only in the 67th percentile for carries into penalty area though.

The numbers are for attacking midfielders and wingers in the PL. For a 22 year old player in his first season in the PL, with less than 1 000 min, I would argue that is promising.

Antony is an excellent ball carrier.
No he isn’t.
For such a young age he is at 85% in progressive carries so you are wrong.
A bit like Sancho - funnily enough - Antony is a great carrier in the middle third of the pitch. In the final third, it's where your more blitz players like Rashford, Garnacho, and the aforementioned types like Mane, Salah etc. excel.

No he isn’t.

Perhaps not excellent but he is really good at it. He carries the ball well along the sideline and it's not easy to get the ball off of him and he almost always gets it near the final third before the defenders even try to get the ball from him. If he's not a ball carrier, then who is?

A bit like Sancho - funnily enough - Antony is a great carrier in the middle third of the pitch. In the final third, it's where your more blitz players like Rashford, Garnacho, and the aforementioned types like Mane, Salah etc. excel.

Totally agree.

Perhaps not excellent but he is really good at it. He carries the ball well along the sideline and it's not easy to get the ball off of him and he almost always gets it near the final third before the defenders even try to get the ball from him. If he's not a ball carrier, then who is?

Son. Anthony Gordon. Alan Saint Maximan. Alejandro Garnacho. Darwin Nunez.

I've never seen Antony carry the ball 40 yards on a counter attack and not get caught, or voluntarily stop halfway and turn back (probably due to anticipation of getting caught). He's just not good at running with the ball up the pitch. He'll do some sort of roll a few times and then stop, but even uncontested, on the counter and in open space - he somehow still fails to effectively carry the ball forward at speed.

I look at some of our counter attack goals over the years. Like the one Rooney scored away at Arsenal where Nani carried it upfield, or Ronaldo carrying it against Bolton and I can't see Antony playing those roles. He just has no running power. His legs seem to move quickly, but he lacks power and is caught easily from what I see.

Unfortunately I think so too, and it's too steep in my eyes. Rashford at the moment is playing out of his skin and arguable a better player.

I think we still need a CF, and if you asked me 3 months ago I would have said either Osimhen or Kane of course. But if we already have a guy scoring potentially 30+ do we need to break the bank?

Maybe we can risk on a younger prospect and fix the midfield? Can EtH keep Rashford scoring the goals, and get more goals from Sancho, Bruno, Antony and Garnacho? Can we sign an 8 like Bellingham instead who can pitch in?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love if we did sign Kane or Osimhen in the summer, but only for reasonable money and not at the expense of solving our other problems when it seems that a lethal forward is no longer a need currently.

I do get the idea or Rashford off the left and still smashing them in alongside a clinical CF, but I think only Kane can play that role of creator that can still score 30 himself. Osimhen is more of a predator in the Napoli team reliant on Kvaratskhelia supplying the ammunition to him.

I would be surprised if Rashford's form has not at least triggered a rethink for what exactly we need in the summer.
We definitely need a number 9, Rashford is in an amazing form but it's unlikely he'll be able to keep it up. As a team we don't score enough if Rashford gets injured or his form drops we'll struggle, we definitely need a proper number 9. I know it's a lot of money for Osimhen but there aren't many options, I expect the new owners to make an statement and one of the most critical positions is striker position.

Also Bellingham will be around 120M as well. Us paying 100M for Antony and Chelsea paying 100M for Mudryk and 130M for Enzo has changed the market. Any promising youngster will be around that price and consolidated players will be 130-150 at least.

We definitely need a number 9, Rashford is in an amazing form but it's unlikely he'll be able to keep it up. As a team we don't score enough if Rashford gets injured or his form drops we'll struggle, we definitely need a proper number 9. I know it's a lot of money for Osimhen but there aren't many options, I expect the new owners to make an statement and one of the most critical positions is striker position.

Also Bellingham will be around 120M as well. Us paying 100M for Antony and Chelsea paying 100M for Mudryk and 130M for Enzo has changed the market. Any promising youngster will be around that price and consolidated players will be 130-150 at least.

We definitely need a striker and midfielder. Osimhen and Bellingham would be my choice but might not be possible for various reasons.

We also need a bit of a clearout of dead wood and players who aren't good enough

Ye it's a wierd one. Like you say, he would do very well. But a wierd blinkered view to say all leagues the same, playing in all teams the same.

A large part of me agrees with you, but I don't think he'll be as good as the money would justify. If Kane was 5 years younger I'd happily watch us pay 200m for him as he improves every other player in the front line and still will get you 30 goals a season. Just imagine that Kane-Rashford link-up play.

I'd be very happy if we signed Osimhen in the summer, even more so if you asked me 3 months ago, but I think my opinion has shifted slightly because the form and goalscoring ability of Rashford post WC has afforded us the ability to maybe think outside the box with who we target in the summer.

I'd love a Suarez-type signing. Relatively under the radar, just on the cusp of breaking out as a top player, and gives us goals and all the other qualities that EtH wants in a striker.

Not asking for too much am I?