VAR and Refs | General Discussion

You may get the benefit of the doubt if you didn’t have a pattern and didn’t fail to mention the red card until multiple people pointed it out to you.

Multiple people pointed it out to me? That's news to me.

Here's every post interacting with me before I said it was a foul.

Yes because getting a ball headed at your arm from 10cm away is as blatant a decision as the Kounde foul on Rashford

What are you guys on about. That wasn’t a handball by fred. The ball hit him on the sleeves near the crest and that is deemed as not handball iirc.

:lol: Never a pen.

That's literally it. And the one person who did mention Rashford didn't even make any sense in the context of my post.

Me: I thought Fred handballed it.

Him: But Rashford!!!

It's hardly a gotcha, is it? Nor is it "multiple people".

Multiple people pointed it out to me? That's news to me.

Here's every post interacting with me before I said it was a foul.

That's literally it. And the one person who did mention Rashford didn't even make any sense in the context of my post.

Me: I thought Fred handballed it.

Him: But Rashford!!!

It's hardly a gotcha, is it? Nor is it "multiple people".
It’s not multiple people if you simply ignore the others who pointed it out. Me for example.

P8lWFMm.png

cmG8Bkr.jpg

You don't really think this is the "bottom of the armpit do you?
Bringing a frame the ball not touching his arm and is going away from his arm. Look at the video ffs and stop wumming.

Sending Kounde off at 2-1 could’ve made a bigger difference.
:lol:

Of course, you're here talking about this and ignoring the clear red card the other way.
3-1 and red card would make this game over but sure.

VAR was once again not our friend and that never surprises.
Got away with one from Fred there. Definitely seen them given possible the VAR felt he was trying to pull his arm out of the way but his momentum was taking him forward. Happened very fast.

Definitely should of been D.O.G.S.O for Koundes foul on Rashford not sure why that wasn't given. V.A.R is mess everywhere it seems.
There’s the multiple people pointing it out before you changed from simply thinking it was a foul to it should’ve been a red. What now?

Nobody thinks that was a penalty on Fred? surely?

The guy heads it at him for point blank range :lol:

Fred knows nothing about it, his arm isn't in an unnatural position and he doesn't stretch it out to block the ball.

The correct decision.

Fred knows nothing about it, his arm isn't in an unnatural position and he doesn't stretch it out to block the ball.

The correct decision.
Just a barca fan wumming, I hope anyway.

Utterly atrocious “decision “ for the rashford foul. Well done to ETH for calling it out.
Changes this game and the next one if the ref hadn’t padded his car seat with a nice fat envelope on the way home.
The Fred one, was too close really. 50/50 for me. Not an obvious feck up due to the fact he was so close.

It’s not multiple people if you simply ignore the others who pointed it out. Me for example.

There’s the multiple people pointing it out before you changed from simply thinking it was a foul to it should’ve been a red. What now?

I'm sorry what? :lol:

Mate it's so obviously a red card that I didn't think I even needed to fecking qualify my post with it. Jesus christ, you cannot be this precious. I think me saying that it was a foul is enough given he was the fecking last man.

Just a barca fan wumming, I hope anyway.

It's really strange that so many Barca fans would have the flairs of other clubs in these comments, huh?

I mean, I don't know why I'm even taking the bait. It's a United forum after all. You naturally have unconscious bias. Anyone that thinks it was a penalty is obviously a Barca fan or a WUM or hilariously a 'closet dipper'. It couldn't possibly be that some people see incidents differently. No sir. Not at all.

The correct decision.

I don't think things like that should be handball - but I wouldn't have been surprised had it been given in the current handball climate.

I'm sorry what? :lol:

Mate it's so obviously a red card that I didn't think I even needed to fecking qualify my post with it. Jesus christ, you cannot be this precious. I think me saying that it was a foul is enough given he was the fecking last man.

It's really strange that so many Barca fans would have the flairs of other clubs in these comments, huh?

I mean, I don't know why I'm even taking the bait. It's a United forum after all. You naturally have unconscious bias. Anyone that thinks it was a penalty is obviously a Barca fan or a WUM or hilariously a 'closet dipper'. It couldn't possibly be that some people see incidents differently. No sir. Not at all.

It was so obvious a red card you got annoyed that a United fan was unhappy at the ref. Surely you’re not that precious?

On your last point. Do you actually think there aren’t people who are biased against United? And that Reddit is a bastion of impartial opinion?

Last edited:
How was that not a pen?
The still picture is not the best way to analyze this one - Bremer fouled Centonze in the process, using his two arms on his shoulders to jump, the handball was a direct result of that foul, which was given by the referee. It was an excellent call, I was genuinely surprised.

The still picture is not the best way to analyze this one - Bremer fouled Centonze in the process, using his two arms on his shoulders to jump, the handball was a direct result of that foul, which was given by the referee. It was an excellent call, I was genuinely surprised.
Interesting, off to YT to check it out.

It was so obvious a red card you got annoyed that a United fan was unhappy at the ref. Surely you’re not that precious?

On your last point. Do you actually think there aren’t people who are biased against United? And that Reddit is a bastion of impartial opinion?

1. I didn't get annoyed at a United fan being unhappy with the ref. I got annoyed at the suggestion the ref was pro Barcelona with the 'VARcelona' comment in particular. It's clearly nonsense. Whether or not you think that Barca deserved a penalty, surely if the ref was biased he would've given it? It was enough of a shout that he could've given it without it being obviously led by bias.

2. Of course there's people who are biased against United. That doesn't mean that a whole bunch of football fans from across the world on a messageboard are biased against United. It's not like I linked to a RAWK thread :lol: Do you really think Man Utd are so hated that random ass fans with no affiliation to United or United's rivals or Barcelona and Barcelona's rivals would be displaying bias? This is the only thing I don't get with the responses in this thread. It's like some of you are unable to grasp that some people simply saw the incident differently. Hell, there's even a few United fans in this thread and on that Reddit thread who also think it was a penalty. That's football for you. Almost all refereeing decisions are subjective to some extent. It really isn't this deep.

That's the last I'll say on it anyway mate as we're just going round in circles at this point.

Agreed. Refereeing standards have dropped so low across the board that it's a genuine surprise when they actually notice details like that. Usually they'd focus so much on the handball alone that they'd strip every single bit of context from the play.

1. I didn't get annoyed at a United fan being unhappy with the ref. I got annoyed at the suggestion the ref was pro Barcelona with the 'VARcelona' comment in particular. It's clearly nonsense. Whether or not you think that Barca deserved a penalty, surely if the ref was biased he would've given it? It was enough of a shout that he could've given it without it being obviously led by bias.

2. Of course there's people who are biased against United. That doesn't mean that a whole bunch of football fans from across the world on a messageboard are biased against United. It's not like I linked to a RAWK thread :lol: Do you really think Man Utd are so hated that random ass fans with no affiliation to United or United's rivals or Barcelona and Barcelona's rivals would be displaying bias? This is the only thing I don't get with the responses in this thread. It's like some of you are unable to grasp that some people simply saw the incident differently. Hell, there's even a few United fans in this thread and on that Reddit thread who also think it was a penalty. That's football for you. Almost all refereeing decisions are subjective to some extent. It really isn't this deep.

That's the last I'll say on it anyway mate as we're just going round in circles at this point.
I had a quick look at that thread. I wouldn’t call it non-partisan. It’s not the evidence you think it is. And yes people can simply think differently. When it comes to people like you, with an established history of being a wum, I’m inclined to believe that it’s not simply difference of opinion.

Mental. No one else make a mistake against Arsenal.

When you make errors like that, you deserve to be punished.

But it's a weirdly double-edged sword. Refs will now be terrified to give anything against them.

But it's a weirdly double-edged sword. Refs will now be terrified to give anything against them.
They should be terrified of making the wrong decision full stop.

Awful that someone has lost their job because they made a mistake. As if no one else makes a mistake in their jobs…

Glad to see the initial reaction to the Mason news.

Players, managers, owners, commentators, pundits, etc, all make plenty of mistakes. Absolutely ludicrous that just because there was a freak week with a few high profile mistakes from various VAR referees that he's been sacked / 'agreed' to leave.

At worst, they should have been stepped down for a round or two of games. But this is a huge overreaction and, as others have said, just heaps even more pressure on the officials and just encourages managers to be as outspoken and OTT as Arteta has been.

This won't help the shortage of referee's

Agreed. Refereeing standards have dropped so low across the board that it's a genuine surprise when they actually notice details like that. Usually they'd focus so much on the handball alone that they'd strip every single bit of context from the play.
Like using still pictures to judge handball you mean?

This won't help the shortage of referee's
You should not need to have been a referee to be a full-time VAR. Anyone working in football and following a formation for a year or two would be competent enough to do it. As in "just do the job and don't forget to do it"
This only happened because Arteta cried for 2 points back.
It happened because he's rubbish at his job and already made game defining mistakes this season and got punished with rounds off. You cannot be making such basic errors when you're a full time VAR referee.

The reaction here has honestly surprised me, there is a huge difference between doing your job but making a mistake and doing what mason did which was which was forget/not do his job. Incredible there are people that think Arteta has the power to get Mason sacked and if you are honest he really has not said a whole lot on it and certainly not anymore than any other manager would say if they got told the ref simply forgot to do his job.

I’m associated to a large grassroots football club in the NW…on one pitch at the wknd (u10s) we had a player injured, ambulance called, opposition manager sent off, 14 yr old ref in tears and racial slurs in the car park.

unfortunatley parents act how they would at a professional match and scream their opinions on to the pitch, players absolutely copy and are heavily influenced by what they see from professionals and managers act like they’re prime pep often ranting and raving at players and refs.

Taking the above into consideration, the recent media coverage of refs and recent FA guidance to have a ridiculous ‘silent wknd’ it really annoyed me recently when Rio Ferdinand and Joe Cole were calling out potter for not being more vocal about their recent penalty claim. Apparently they were suggesting he should be throwing a tantrum to deflect the story from Chelsea’s inadequacies to the failings of refs and var.

we either all shout and scream at the decisions made or we just accept it.

I understand there’s a huge difference between epl and grassroots but the wrong messages are on full display for young players following in their footsteps.

regarding grassroots for anyone that’s interested, parents shouldn’t be allowed on site. I can’t stop and watch my daughters gymnastic or dance class. Whilst not exclusively responsible, removing the parents would go a long way to improving the present state of grassroots.

Is he the one that drew the wrong line or didn't bother to draw one?