VAR and Refs | General Discussion

The state of refereeing in England is an embarrassment and needs to be fecking fixed. It’s just a much of a chumocracy as both major political parties are.

Genuinely think the standard of refereeing is getting worse.
The referee gave Kudos a yellow today after he started taking out half of the Spurs team . Saliba was giving a yellow for pulling down a Bournemouth and he was the last man. And as for the man in the middle for Utd games I feel like our players get booked for their 1st foul whereas the opposition can do repeat fouls without any sanction.
The Villa game 2 weeks ago was ridiculous and I think today we had 3 booked( one was ETH) before he booked a Brentford player .

Not really sure. It was pretty much on the halfway line and the ball was high up in the air, Evanilson still had a lot to do in terms of controlling it and it’s not like Saliba was that far behind him with no time to make up the distance. Normally they factor in distance to goal and if the player has the ball under control, so i’m a bit surprised that VAR gets involved and recommends the referee to check it on the monitor.

That tweet is a piss-take. De Ligt committed a stupid foul. He headbutted the players knee and was nowhere near the ball which was gone.

It's barely even in the picture :lol:
Baffling how anyone can think otherwise. Correct decision and the ref was also correct to keep sending him off the field every time he was bleeding from the head.

Wish United fans and coaching staff were vocal the million times we are actually wronged. Instead this lot cry wolf when we haven't been wronged. The reaction from the bench right after their goal was beyond pathetic.

Baffling how anyone can think otherwise. Correct decision and the ref was also correct to keep sending him off the field every time he was bleeding from the head.

Wish United fans and coaching staff were vocal the million times we are actually wronged. Instead this lot cry wolf when we haven't been wronged. The reaction from the bench right after their goal was beyond pathetic.

I can not tell if you are being sarcastic or serious!

Not really sure. It was pretty much on the halfway line and the ball was high up in the air, Evanilson still had a lot to do in terms of controlling it and it’s not like Saliba was that far behind him with no time to make up the distance. Normally they factor in distance to goal and if the player has the ball under control, so i’m a bit surprised that VAR gets involved and recommends the referee to check it on the monitor.

This is irrelevant though, as soon as Saliba commits the foul he then basically removes himself from the situation.

This is irrelevant though, as soon as Saliba commits the foul he then basically removes himself from the situation.

Yeah I was about to say, the question about whether another player would have got back to cover is to decide whether Saliba is considered the last man or not.

They don't take into account what would have happened if he didn't commit the foul.

Just seen a ridiculous amount of pulling from Jordan Ayew in the box not given as a pen, and you then compare with the almost unprecedented penalty Taylor gave against Hojlund last season against City.

Could be, my instant feeling that it was a bit harsh. Closer to goal and the ball under control and i would’ve thought it was nailed on.

It doesn’t matter where Saliba was or where he wasn’t , he pulled him down and he was the last man . Saliba saying I wasn’t that far behind and I’d have made up the distance as I’m quite fast so don’t send me off won’t work just so you know

Just seen a ridiculous amount of pulling from Jordan Ayew in the box not given as a pen, and you then compare with the almost unprecedented penalty Taylor gave against Hojlund last season against City.
At this point we need to know just how long that needs to be going on for to be considered a foul. He's pulling his shirt for ages ffs :lol:

So, kneeing somebody in the head is not dangerous play? But giving imaginary red cards to our players, like Fernandes against Tottenham is?

For once, we reacted. Showed some kind of passion and that they cared. Reacted because we went behind because we got our player thrown out and because first half should have been over long before that corner.

Just because we won this game, we should not forget decisions against us.

I watched the game. DeLigt going with head first. Brendford player with knee first. Simple.

The ball was gone when De Ligt came steaming in headfirst. You see it there in the still leaving the frame of the picture after the Brentford lad had played it with his knee.

It was quite obviously knee to head.

EDIT: I meant head to knee :annoyed:

Last edited:
The ball was gone when De Ligt came steaming in headfirst. You see it there in the still leaving the frame of the picture after the Brentford lad had played it with his knee.

It was quite obviously knee to head.

If the brentford player hadn't raised his knee that high, then it was there for De Ligt to win with his head. That could easily be classed as endangering the opponent who barely stooped at all.

Just watching the highlights of Fulham v Villa and honestly cant understand why they gave Fulham that penalty for handball when the ball was clearly headed on to the defenders arm at extremely close range.

Credit where it's due, great spot on the red card in the Leicester Southampton game
But why didn't Saints get a penalty for that Ayew pull? Terrible call and again, the biggest issue, lack of consistency.

If the brentford player hadn't raised his knee that high, then it was there for De Ligt to win with his head. That could easily be classed as endangering the opponent who barely stooped at all.

How high?

De Ligt lowers his head to below chest height and the ball was long gone at that stage.

He never had a chance of winning that ball.

The refs need to start complaining about the state of supporters standards given some of the views on the De Ligt incident!

Just seen motd and saliba can have no complaints at all.
Ayew non decision is baffling.
Genuinely baffling. No doubt emporor Webb will clear it up.

Is that a rule? How did they know Rodri would get the ball last season when Hojlund felled him?

These are the same officials that thought John Stones wasnt denying a clear goal scoring oppurtunity whe he dragged Hojlund back while he was through one on one with Ederson

Is that a rule? How did they know Rodri would get the ball last season when Hojlund felled him?

I've seen that said as vindication for a decision but then we're in the territory where it's a foul outside the box but there's no punishment at all for the same offence inside the box.

If that is how they want to adjudicate it and don't want to give a pen then they have to change the rules to give an indirect free or something like that. You can't just let fouls in the box go because the player wasn't near enough to the ball.

How high?

De Ligt lowers his head to below chest height and the ball was long gone at that stage.

He never had a chance of winning that ball.

High enough to knee a guy in the head who was barely stooping at all.

Like I said, he did have a good chance to win the ball if the other player hadn't lead with his knee that high.

High enough to knee a guy in the head who was barely stooping at all.

Like I said, he did have a good chance to win the ball if the other player hadn't lead with his knee that high.

Mate, watch it again. It's De Ligt who comes into the Brentford players space after the ball was gone. De Ligt wasn't even looking where he was putting his head.