VAR and Refs | General Discussion

I would say the fact that we're in the third week of the storm in a teacup "controversy" around this fully-deserved but minor-incident sending off highlights exactly why they were reluctant.

They sound like people who rightly recognised that it had to be a second yellow, but also rightly recognised that sending him off for it was going to be a pain in the hole and prompt the usual "they need to show common sense" criticism. Because the whining that has followed was 100% inevitable.
I just wish they were a bit stronger. They made the right decision, which is the main thing. I find the passive language used irritating. The whiners are equally as irritating because they are just plain wrong.

I just wish they were a bit stronger. They made the right decision, which is the main thing. I find the passive language used irritating. The whiners are equally as irritating because they are just plain wrong.
Tbh they are damned if they do and damned if they don't, sometime they just can't win

There should never be any irritation about the lack of consistency. Especially during the same game, with 2 extremely differents versions (in severity) of a same incident.
Imagine the Casemiro saga with an opposition player really putting his hands to the neck of a United player, during the same game, and the ref gave nothing. This forum would self combust.
You can also interpret the Assistant Ref words in the opposite way: he's instantly warning the ref that Rice is on a yellow. I don't think the ref needs VAR to be remembered who he has already carded. It can sound like a "do you really want to send him off for that". Once the ref says "he has no choice" the assistants just follow his lead.The whole thing felt weird when you consider what happened before and the unpunished kick by the defender.
Let's just hope they manage to apply the same rules for 90min for everyone from now on.

You can also interpret the Assistant Ref words in the opposite way: he's instantly warning the ref that Rice is on a yellow. I don't think the ref needs VAR to be remembered who he has already carded. It can sound like a "do you really want to send him off for that".
Exactly what the intention was in my opinion. Safe to say that you shouldn't be clouding the referee's judgement in this way.