VAR and Refs | General Discussion

o/u 10 cards just for kicking the ball away today? Given we're already at 2, and they've been told to obviously strictly implement it, at least for a week.

If we’re being honest there should be more reds for those tackles in general. Regardless of height.

Yep, this is the only reason why the red card seems harsh.

Refs should be giving reds for that 100/100. The only thing that saves a really nasty bit of contact is luck, because he's completely out of control. 0.001 seconds later and he's crashing through Garnacho's knee with force.

Too often refs see that a player got away with it and let it go with a yellow, so good on the ref for taking the brave and correct decision.

Less said about the rest of his performance the better.

The most obvious red to give, and nowadays pretty consistent in giving those except for massive mess-ups.

At well was rather shit on the whole though. Incompetent like most refs.

High challenge but think harsh red
I’m not even a United fan I think that’s a nailed on red. He flies into a tackle at knee height. It’s not even like that’s where the ball was - he’s just trying to injure Garnacho.

I’m genuinely curious @imonkmc, what make it harsh for you?

Example one million for why the "letter of the law" is a stupid argument when discussing these situations.

This referee happened to have enough common sense not to ruin the match by sending off Szoboslai for a bit of foolishness that had no impact on anything, despite it being an obvious second yellow card infraction by the rules.

Example one million for why the "letter of the law" is a stupid argument when discussing these situations.

This referee happened to have enough common sense not to ruin the match by sending off Szoboslai for a bit of foolishness that had no impact on anything, despite it being an obvious second yellow card infraction by the rules.

It's not for the referee to 'not ruin the match'. That's on the player to follow simple rules and not get himself sent off

Good to see that we got two yellows for exactly the same thing today………
Took one match for the inconsistency to show itself.

It's not for the referee to 'not ruin the match'. That's on the player to follow simple rules and not get himself sent off

If you enforce all these "simple rules," most games end with 9 players on each team, having each also had 2-3 penalties for fouls in the box on set pieces. Riveting stuff.

If you enforce all these "simple rules," most games end with 9 players on each team, having each also had 2-3 penalties for fouls in the box on set pieces. Riveting stuff.

If you enforce all the simple rules, players will stop cheating and the game will be a lot better.

Yep, sounds great! Then we'll actually see a game of football after a few weeks of sweating the small stuff.

I'm concerned Arsenal fans will never let this Rice yellow card go. It's ridiculous how much they're whining about it.
It's the scandal of the century and the biggest injustice to happen to a club in recent years, if you ignore all of the other clubs who have received bigger injustices.

Anthony Taylor is a blight on this league he shouldnt be anywhere near officiating at this level

As I don’t get many posts for reference the battle of bridge has a total of 12 yellows and was a filthy match compared to this game.

Last edited:
Anthony Taylor is a blight on this league he shouldnt be anywhere near officiating at this level

As I don’t get many posts for reference the battle of bridge has a total of 12 yellows and was a filthy match compared to this game.
Maybe the worst ref in the league. He’s an absolute disgrace.

He’s a fecking idiot. Suffers from a severe case of main character syndrome. I hate watching any game he officiates.
Aye, he went full Mike Dean/Lahoz today.

Completely average game from a fouling/dirtiness standpoint and he just arbitrarily decided he was going to produce more fecking cards than Hallmark.

The referees aren't there to create entertaining spectacles as some sort of theatrical director. They are there to objectively enforce rules. The current rules state it is a yellow card offence. Their most recent interpretative guidelines indicates discretion should not be given for this particular type of unsporting conduct.

The idea that officials are there to manufacture the drama and ensure matches remain entertaining, contrary to a true application of the laws of the game is a slippery slope. F1 is a perfect example with Michael Masi in Abu Dhabi 2021.

If EPL/FA/PMGOL/IFAB believe it is disproportionately affecting sporting outcomes, they can change the rules. It is not the job of referees to do so, ad hoc, which creates the arbitrariness.

The referees aren't there to create entertaining spectacles as some sort of theatrical director. They are there to objectively enforce rules. The current rules state it is a yellow card offence. Their most recent interpretative guidelines indicates discretion should not be given for this particular type of unsporting conduct.

The idea that officials are there to manufacture the drama and ensure matches remain entertaining, contrary to a true application of the laws of the game is a slippery slope. F1 is a perfect example with Michael Masi in Abu Dhabi 2021.

If EPL/FA/PMGOL/IFAB believe it is disproportionately affecting sporting outcomes, they can change the rules. It is not the job of referees to do so, ad hoc, which creates the arbitrariness.

Sadly, “objectively enforcing rules” is only a limited part of a referee’s job. It has always been that way, and always will.

Given that subjective interpretation is inevitable, better to err on the side of (a) staying as consistent as possible and (b) letting players decide matches rather than making yourself the main character. This isn’t rocket science.

High challenge but think harsh red
Red Card every day. Studs in knee. He was lucky not to connect when Garnacho leg was on the ground. Otherwise we would sit here and talk about how many months it would take to repair his knee.

If you enforce all the simple rules, players will stop cheating and the game will be a lot better.

Been saying this for years, punish time wasting, play acting, kicking the ball away and enforce the 6 second rule on keepers.

Players and coaches would soon get fed up of being booked and they wouldn't be long cutting it out.

I couldn't have the sound on, so I missed the commentary with the Bournemouth pen, but why wasn't it a red? Was it deemed a genuine attempt to play the ball?

I couldn't have the sound on, so I missed the commentary with the Bournemouth pen, but why wasn't it a red? Was it deemed a genuine attempt to play the ball?

I think it was the right call. Keeper closes down the attacker in good faith before he gets to the ball. It would be a red for me had, after the attacker lobs him, he stuck his arms out or tripped him as a deliberate move.

I think it was the right call. Keeper closes down the attacker in good faith before he gets to the ball. It would be a red for me had, after the attacker lobs him, he stuck his arms out or tripped him as a deliberate move.
Yeah, I would agree. Keeper can't really go anywhere and can't give a red to disincentivise keepers coming out for those. Was interested to see what the reasoning was and where the line is drawn on the genuine attempt part.

Yeah, I’m sure managers and owners will back their players for being braindead, getting carded/banned and being paid huge money per week for sitting on their arses… especially when they lose their next match with a couple of first XI players out.

If kicking the ball away was a ref call, I’d say the Rice ref was OTT. It’s not.

I don't think that's even a foul. Sanchez doesn't have to get out of the way and he just stands there, attacker runs in to him, not on him to let him past... Can say he's trying to save the ball, by standing there, and therefore an attempt to play it. Pretty terrible call, but I can also see why they didn't VAR it.

Justice done with the save.

I don't think that's even a foul. Sanchez doesn't have to get out of the way and he just stands there, attacker runs in to him, not on him to let him past... Can say he's trying to save the ball, by standing there, and therefore an attempt to play it. Pretty terrible call, but I can also see why they didn't VAR it.

The only ones thinking it's not a pen and that keepers should be able to challenge for the ball, not get near it, while impeding an attacker are Chelsea fans. Funny that.

...what? That is as stonewall a penalty as you will ever see.

Loathe as I am to credit Taylor with anything yellow is the right decision. Sanchez made a genuine attempt and wasn't cynical or dangerous about stopping Evanilson, just late.

Why didn't Timber get a second yellow in the aftermath there? Arsenal players getting away with murder game after game.

Timber on Vicario was identical to Casemiro on Hughes (straight red and 3 match ban). Both grabbed opponents by the collar.

Arsenal fans still got their tin foil hats on or...?
Case got 2 reds (against Palace and Saints) and 7 matches in bans for the exact same two things Timber got one yellow for there.