VAR and Refs | General Discussion

Games were spoiled by poor decisions all the time pre-VAR. There was a clamour to bring in video technology because people were pissed off at wrong decisions affecting results, when the video replays showed what had really happened.

Your post only holds up if we accept the refs decisions were all perfect and don't watch any replays showing where the officials fecked up.
Yes they made mistakes. ... now they make them and every one can see it!!!.. errors happen so what's the point in VAR... objective decisions have and will be always there. That won't change through VAR.. incident in Swansea game player catches keeper head on floor, replays showed it . Ref didn't see it if VAR there's a bollocks look at it ohh I don't know up here in front of 4 TV.. you look at it ref on monitor then they look like chumps and make another call . VAR works when it goes for you.. its rubbish and ruined games.. its here to stay but it rubbish .. imo

Aye, it's taken the joy out of a lot of goals, you wait to see if they're going to pull it back for something. Watching games without it, surely is refreshing.

I was doing referee for an u10 game yesterday, final of a small local club tournament I organised. There was a bit of a push near the box but the player got a pass off, I played advantage, but they had 3 coaches on the line who were a bunch of moany cnuts, so I gave the freekick, just to shut them up. Just as I blew the whistle, their other player gets a shot off and it flies in top corner. Felt like a shit having to pull it back for the free kick, which was duly skied over the bar. They then had a whinge about me giving the freekick after that. In the end they lost the final 1-0, I told them after exactly why I gave the freekick, moany cnuts had to keep their mouths shut their team might have won.

Anyway, I can see how and why they'd want the assurance and backup of VAR in the PL, with tens of thousands of people on your back, the pressure to get decisions right must be immense. But for me they still get way too many silly decisions wrong, I don't think VAR is the problem, it's the rules they have and the inconsistent ways they're being implemented.
Rules yes.. trouble is what are they.. VAR is not there to implement rules! ... subject this and that. Use var and semi auto matic offsides fair enough.. game move quickly now .. other wise bollocks to the rest of it.. leave the man in the middle sort it out... I bet stats at end of year would be nearly same mistakes as VAR ...

Yes they made mistakes. ... now they make them and every one can see it!!!.. errors happen so what's the point in VAR... objective decisions have and will be always there. That won't change through VAR.. incident in Swansea game player catches keeper head on floor, replays showed it . Ref didn't see it if VAR there's a bollocks look at it ohh I don't know up here in front of 4 TV.. you look at it ref on monitor then they look like chumps and make another call . VAR works when it goes for you.. its rubbish and ruined games.. its here to stay but it rubbish .. imo

Are all your posts like this? Feckin hell

Anyway it's not the technology, it's how they are using it that's the problem. Without VAR they're still going to feck up decisions. The whole ref association needs a shake up because their mindset is not to get to the correct decision.

Anyway it's not the technology, it's how they are using it that's the problem. Without VAR they're still going to feck up decisions. The whole ref association needs a shake up because their mindset is not to get to the correct decision.

Agree, just said it there !! Fecking he'll are all your posts like this...

It seems that they are. Christ that's hard to read.

Learn some punctuation and right a feckin sentence. It's all half-thought through statements broken up by ellipsises and the odd exclamation mark thrown in.
What you read it didn't you .. you a English teacher or what, this is a message board not a O level English paper.. grip if you want or perhaps people are not supposed to ????? Your replies !!!!!!!!!!!!!.. ffs some people ..

What you read it didn't you .. you a English teacher or what, this is a message board not a O level English paper.. grip if you want or perhaps people are not supposed to ????? Your replies !!!!!!!!!!!!!.. ffs some people ..

Yeah and basic punctuation is usually required. The state of that. I get that your old school but jaysus man.

Yeah and basic punctuation is usually required. The state of that. I get that your old school but jaysus man.
Don't know what's the worst today your nonsense or listening to bloody Oasis all over the radio...

He's right though, posts like these are really hard to read. I suppose you post with the intention of having other people read your stuff, understand what your mean, and agree with your arguments. The chances of that happening are just much lower with this writing style. You could of course have issues around this, in which case there's nothing you can do and we'll just have to accept that. But if not, I'd really encourage you to put a bit more effort into this. Even just proper punctuation helps enormously.

I'm not going to start with it now, but a post like the above can actually get a warning for poor formatting.
It seems that they are. Christ that's hard to read.

Learn some punctuation and right a feckin sentence. It's all half-thought through statements broken up by ellipsises and the odd exclamation mark thrown in.
That's a total glass houses post: 'write a fecking sentence'. ;)

The thing I hate most about VAR is a lot of the time United score, I am just waiting for VAR review decision to be announced! Nothing to do with that it's United, I'm just constantly thinking hopefully United didn't mess up! ha. Most times its obvious there's nothing that went wrong that it's not going to go to VAR.

I'm happy as long as the decisions are consistent. I think that's been the biggest problem since VAR was introduced. Everyone has criticised VAR, including myself, and I think this season they have been much better and much quicker using it. Granted, its two weeks in, but last season there was probably 4 talking points with VAR rather than 1. You got to give credit where credit is due.

It's also gotten to a point where the rules get confusing. Everything is over analysed like crazy. The idea of VAR is to improve fair decisions for the benefit of the game, there's a huge amount of pressure on VAR officials and referees I think them themselves get mixed up on what the rules actually are.

All in all, I think its getting better and more efficient. Still very early into the season but time will tell.

The thing I hate most about VAR is a lot of the time United score, I am just waiting for VAR review decision to be announced! Nothing to do with that it's United, I'm just constantly thinking hopefully United didn't mess up! ha. Most times its obvious there's nothing that went wrong that it's not going to go to VAR.

I'm happy as long as the decisions are consistent. I think that's been the biggest problem since VAR was introduced. Everyone has criticised VAR, including myself, and I think this season they have been much better and much quicker using it. Granted, its two weeks in, but last season there was probably 4 talking points with VAR rather than 1. You got to give credit where credit is due.

It's also gotten to a point where the rules get confusing. Everything is over analysed like crazy. The idea of VAR is to improve fair decisions for the benefit of the game, there's a huge amount of pressure on VAR officials and referees I think them themselves get mixed up on what the rules actually are.

All in all, I think its getting better and more efficient. Still very early into the season but time will tell.

There's been about 5 controversial decisions already partly because they've made it harder to over rule the ref.

Take a look back through the thread.

He's right though, posts like these are really hard to read. I suppose you post with the intention of having other people read your stuff, understand what your mean, and agree with your arguments. The chances of that happening are just much lower with this writing style. You could of course have issues around this, in which case there's nothing you can do and we'll just have to accept that. But if not, I'd really encourage you to put a bit more effort into this. Even just proper punctuation helps enormously.

I'm not going to start with it now, but a post like the above can actually get a warning for poor formatting.

That's a total glass houses post: 'write a fecking sentence'. ;)
Wow..

Brilliant call by the ref to send off Rice. Tried to shithouse an opposition player into getting sent off and got done himself.

I thought it was reallllyyy harsh personally, especially when he didn’t book Pedro for an even more egregious version of kicking the ball away.

Was the ball not moving anyway? So Brighton wouldn’t (or shouldn’t) have been able to take it quickly anyway.

Just seen the decision to send Rice off :lol: I don’t agree with it but either way, identical incidents will be ignored countless times going forwards.

I thought it was reallllyyy harsh personally, especially when he didn’t book Pedro for an even more egregious version of kicking the ball away.

Was the ball not moving anyway? So Brighton wouldn’t (or shouldn’t) have been able to take it quickly anyway.
You mean this little kick ? With the referee looking straight at it for 5 seconds ? Meh, i don't know.

Hurry up Google, Nvidia, God, whoever, give us some full AI robotic referees, these idiots are hopeless.

You mean this little kick ? With the referee looking straight at it for 5 seconds ? Meh, i don't know.
Clearly done to save Arteta from getting hit by the ball on the heel while he was leaving his technical area to double check whether the half-way line was correctly drawn.

Just seen the decision to send Rice off :lol: I don’t agree with it but either way, identical incidents will be ignored countless times going forwards.
Yeah it's fun to see Arsenal fans all salty.

Agreed regarding the second yellow. It's either an ego trip or corruption by the referees when these things happen.

Dalot red last year against Liverpool from two yellows for one event was the worst I've seen.

Clearly done to save Arteta from getting hit by the ball on the heel while he was leaving his technical area to double check whether the half-way line was correctly drawn.
Pretty much one of few managers that can walk out of his box without getting carded. He could walk onto pitch and play ball without refereeing sending him off. Why does Arsenal subs bench even have those lines at all?

How is this not a pen? Fecker never looked towards the ball which apparently gives him the right to play volleyball with no consequences.

how does the ref not give pedro a yellow earlier in the match or give veltman a yellow just for hacking rice down? You can't tell me in good faith that veltman was actually trying to kick the ball with rice right there. Crazy refereeing.

The Rice sending off was ridiculous, but what was even more ridiculous was Veltman just booting Rice in the legs with the ref doing nothing about it whatsoever.

The Rice sending off was ridiculous, but what was even more ridiculous was Veltman just booting Rice in the legs with the ref doing nothing about it whatsoever.
Ref just probably missed it. Refs miss stuff. VAR barely make a difference.

Here's a tip; Don't kick the ball away from where a person is taking a free kick and stand in its spot. You won't get kicked that way.

Here's a tip; Don't kick the ball away from where a person is taking a free kick and stand in its spot. You won't get kicked that way.

Was he trying to take it quick? I didn't think so. And he barely tapped the ball. I can see I'm on the wrong side of the forum here and it's clearly partially because Rice seems to be somewhat disliked, but if that sending off happened to our team this place would be up in arms about it I'm sure.

Was he trying to take it quick? I didn't think so. And he barely tapped the ball. I can see I'm on the wrong side of the forum here and it's clearly partially because Rice seems to be somewhat disliked, but if that sending off happened to our team this place would be up in arms about it I'm sure.
The TNT commentary team will be here later to repeat what they said at the time, which is pretty much how non blinkered Arsenal fans saw it. ;)

I actually think Rice going down and making a meal of it forced the ref into a decision. If he just jogs away, the ref likely does nothing to either of them and maybe talks to them both. With Rice on the floor trying to get the player booked, now the ref has to make a decision and decides that Rice was the instigator with the kicking of the ball and has to book him.