VAR and Refs | General Discussion

Why wasn't the Palmer goal disallowed? Keeper taking a goal kick while the ball was moving.

Wow, that was quite insane from var and the referees. Absolutely shocking.

Say what you will about the handball, but on what planet is deliberately close-lining the goalkeeper not a red card?

Scandalous refereeing.

Can he banned retrospectively for that?
Or do we still have that ridiculous rule about it being "seen by the referee"

Not to go all Helen Lovejoy on it but that is very dangerous. The keeper is sprinting and Joelinton yanks his neck back. Deliberate and totally reckless, he should get a ban for it.

so I'm assuming the PGMOL will apologise and the ref will be demoted next week. That's how this works, right

Casemiro would be up in front of the Hague for doing what Joelinton’s done there.

It's only GW 2 and it's hard to imagine how the officials will top that for "Worst decisions of the year".

Not just one, but two shockers within a couple minutes.

It's only GW 2 and it's hard to imagine how the officials will top that for "Worst decisions of the year".

Not just one, but two shockers within a couple minutes.

The ref broke up a Bournemouth attack in between the two of them as well, and just waved play on for the Liverpool break that led to the Joelinton assault.

We were told that this season there will be higher bar for VAR intervention, I guess that 'bar' only applies to certain teams! If anyone believes that biased refreeing was going to be eliminated by video technology, think again.

Objectively, that is absolute hilarious that a literal WWE clothesline has been missed.
Who said anything about missing it ? :confused: Newcastle have avoided more than 5 red cards between last season and this game. Their players are thugs and no referee is doing anything about it.

Look, everyone has referees have got what they’ve been asking for and we’ve now got a version of VAR where everything gets checked for the sole purpose of saying “referee’s call” and going with the on field decision 100% of the time.

I’d believe them if they said they’d automated it and that automation consisted of a simple program which returns “on field decision” after 20-30 seconds.

It’s worth remembering how and for what VAR intervened to send Casemiro off against Fulham last year.

Gently placing hands around the chest/neck of a player while attempting to pacify a situation = red card, even when not one other person in the entire stadium or watching around the world saw anything close to justifying one.

Violently swinging your arm at the neck of a goalkeeper and clotheslining him while he attempts to launch a counter attack = yellow card and not worthy of a second look.

Look, everyone has referees have got what they’ve been asking for and we’ve now got a version of VAR where everything gets checked for the sole purpose of saying “referee’s call” and going with the on field decision 100% of the time.

Except for when the onfield decision is to award a goal that came off the attackers shoulder after he’d been plowed into by a centre back who was nowhere near the ball.

"It didn't cross the threshold of aggressive foul play."

Webb when he does the PGMOL PR puff piece he does on Sky during international breaks, or he'll just ignore it.

How has VAR looked at that Joelinton incident and decided that yellow is fine?
Referee’s call at the end of the day. VAR isn’t there to get decisions right, it’s there to back up the referee.

Referee’s call at the end of the day. VAR isn’t there to get decisions right, it’s there to back up the referee.
Doesn't VAR have the authority to intervene if it feels the incident deserves a red but only a yellow has been given? I feel like I have seen yellows being upgraded to red and vice versa with VAR intervention.

Oh gosh VAR in the spotlight again? More coverage and air time for referees? Webb going on MNF soon?

How embarrassing. Bet they hate that as much as last year's Love Island contestants just hate getting papped on the beach with their knockers out by the photographer they phoned a few hours earlier to report their exact coordinates to.

Say what you will about the handball, but on what planet is deliberately close-lining the goalkeeper not a red card?

Scandalous refereeing.
Would have been a red in rugby for a dangerous high tackle let alone football. If the arm had been a Bournemouth arm on the Newcastle keeper I’m 100% sure he would have been off.

How has VAR looked at that Joelinton incident and decided that yellow is fine?
They probably didn’t get involved in that. That goal though was not clear and obvious, most would say it came off the very top of the arm /shoulder and should have stood, where was the clear and obvious mistake to award it which the ref did?
I fecking hate VAR but I hate the bottling clubs who voted for it to stay when we could have got rid of it even more.

They probably didn’t get involved in that. That goal though was not clear and obvious, most would say it came off the very top of the arm /shoulder and should have stood, where was the clear and obvious mistake to award it which the ref did?
I fecking hate VAR but I hate the bottling clubs who voted for it to stay when we could have got rid of it even more.
Why not? There was a strong challenge just now in the Liverpool game where a yellow was awarded and the commentators specifically mentioned that VAR has has a look at it and has agreed with the on field decision.

Yeah agreed, it came off the part of his upper arm covered by the jersey but it wasn't all that clear whether it was definitively above or below the armpit.

Why not? There was a strong challenge just now in the Liverpool game where a yellow was awarded and the commentators specifically mentioned that VAR has has a look at it and has agreed with the on field decision.
To get a definitive answer you’d be better off writing a strongly worded letter to VAR and cc The Times. Not sure you’d get a clear and obvious answer though.

Bournemouth disallowed goap is a joke.

Joe Linton wrapping the keeper around the neck is a clear red. Joke of a referee an VAR in that game. Brighton player did similar to Dalot ( I think) yesterday and didn't even get a yellow.

Handballs immediately before goals are objective decisions. Contact with arm by goalscorer = disallowed.

The "clear and obvious error" test only applies to subjective decisions; i.e. foul or not, yellow or red, etc.

Watched 3 games over the weekend, 1 was with VAR, Brighton v Man Utd.. other 2 were Wrexham v Reading... Swansea v Cardiff no VAR..
Those 2 games were so much better to watch in terms of no anxiety in if VAR sees something we don't is it a goal ? Etc etc.. I really enjoyed watching knowing that a game wasn't going to be spoilt.. there were plenty of incidents in Swansea game , all dealt with by the officials no real dramas .. no need for VAR at all

Watched 3 games over the weekend, 1 was with VAR, Brighton v Man Utd.. other 2 were Wrexham v Reading... Swansea v Cardiff no VAR..
Those 2 games were so much better to watch in terms of no anxiety in if VAR sees something we don't is it a goal ? Etc etc.. I really enjoyed watching knowing that a game wasn't going to be spoilt.. there were plenty of incidents in Swansea game , all dealt with by the officials no real dramas .. no need for VAR at all
I watched a lot of Championship football last season and I concur, a throwback to the good old days.
It makes me laugh with all the controversies surrounding VAR and we are only two games into the season why on earth didn’t the clubs back Wolves and vote to scrap it? It really is ruining the game.

Games were spoiled by poor decisions all the time pre-VAR. There was a clamour to bring in video technology because people were pissed off at wrong decisions affecting results, when the video replays showed what had really happened.

Your post only holds up if we accept the refs decisions were all perfect and don't watch any replays showing where the officials fecked up.

Games were spoiled by poor decisions all the time pre-VAR. This only holds up if we accept the refs decisions were all perfect and don't watch any replays showing where the officials fecked up.
However it’s a game played by individuals and it was reffed by an individual and two lines, oops sorry assistants refs, (who brought that shite in)?
Mistakes happen in all areas of life, some more important than others but this is a game and primarily it’s in the entertainment business and that entertainment is slowly been eroded by stopping the game and studying in minute detail incidents that really should be just left to the ref.
Daft offsides where they let play continue and then five minutes later put the flag up, it’s all negative. Remember the ref getting shouted at and songs sung about him going to Spec Savers? It was all part of the game and should be once more.
Games were not spoilt, the result might not have gone your way or certain decisions you didn’t agree with but Christ we still get that now with VAR only VAR really is ruining the game.

Aye, it's taken the joy out of a lot of goals, you wait to see if they're going to pull it back for something. Watching games without it, surely is refreshing.

I was doing referee for an u10 game yesterday, final of a small local club tournament I organised. There was a bit of a push near the box but the player got a pass off, I played advantage, but they had 3 coaches on the line who were a bunch of moany cnuts, so I gave the freekick, just to shut them up. Just as I blew the whistle, their other player gets a shot off and it flies in top corner. Felt like a shit having to pull it back for the free kick, which was duly skied over the bar. They then had a whinge about me giving the freekick after that. In the end they lost the final 1-0, I told them after exactly why I gave the freekick, moany cnuts had to keep their mouths shut their team might have won.

Anyway, I can see how and why they'd want the assurance and backup of VAR in the PL, with tens of thousands of people on your back, the pressure to get decisions right must be immense. But for me they still get way too many silly decisions wrong, I don't think VAR is the problem, it's the rules they have and the inconsistent ways they're being implemented.

Games were spoiled by poor decisions all the time pre-VAR. There was a clamour to bring in video technology because people were pissed off at wrong decisions affecting results, when the video replays showed what had really happened.

Your post only holds up if we accept the refs decisions were all perfect and don't watch any replays showing where the officials fecked up.

Games were never spoiled by correct decisions before VAR. Now we still have enjoyment being soured by bad refereeing AND when the correct decision is reached in the end, because we can no longer enjoy goals without sweating about VAR finding a way to spoil things.

The idea that all that matters in football is making sure that every decision is as close to perfect as possible shows a spectacular ignorance of the whole purpose of the fecking sport. It’s supposed to be entertainment, not a court of law.