US Open 2011

Runner uo 3 times and 6 more semis. Continue being wrong or just read up on the defintion of near.

You'll be the only tennis enthusiast in this thread who does not know in the real world that in 3 finals and 3 semis the reality is that he has not even come close - he has not for a moment in those clinch huge matches put the opponent under the slightest pressure - they have been crushing defeats just like this was - indicative of lacking any significant mental strength when in a big match situation.

To be as twattish as you are being, did you actually watch any if them ? Cos if you did you'd know Murray was never close in any of them. Did I just make that up? or Oh no, actually it's the truth!

You started being confrontational for some reason best known to yourself a few posts back :wenger: - why?

Now read up on the definition of 'statistics' and then counter it with 'reality'
- as wide a chasm as you'll get in this instance

Murray has never been close to being competitive in the finals.

Zero sets won says it all.

Talking about the relationships between the players, did anyone watch Fed's press conference? He seemed to be extremely disappointed which is understandable, obviously, but he also came across a bit bitter, not giving any credit to his opponent. He and Novak really aren't on best terms. It's a whole different situation with Novak-Nadal, and Novak-Murray, though, always a few mutual words of praise and respect. That is at least my impression.

Talking about the relationships between the players, did anyone watch Fed's press conference? He seemed to be extremely disappointed which is understandable, obviously, but he also came across a bit bitter, not giving any credit to his opponent. He and Novak really aren't on best terms. It's a whole different situation with Novak-Nadal, and Novak-Murray, though, always a few mutual words of praise and respect. That is at least my impression.

Federer is a very poor loser. He doesn't exactly get on well with Djokovic and Murray. He and Nadal have a great respect for each other and a good friendship though but I guess it's harder to hate Nadal.

Federer is a very poor loser. He doesn't exactly get on well with Djokovic and Murray. He and Nadal have a great respect for each other and a good friendship though but I guess it's harder to hate Nadal.

This is why I never really understood why people love Federer so much. Apart from the fact that he is one of the greatest players in the history of tennis, there isn't much likeable about him. It's very different with Nadal who has just a genuinely warm personality, and Novak who is a great entertainer and doesn't take himself too seriously. I could never warm up to Federer.

This is why I never really understood why people love Federer so much. Apart from the fact that he is one of the greatest players in the history of tennis, there isn't much likeable about him. It's very different with Nadal who has just a genuinely warm personality, and Novak who is a great entertainer and doesn't take himself too seriously. I could never warm up to Federer.

Maybe because he's one of those graceful sportsman who are a joy to watch?

It's like watching Zidane play football. A sublime sight. Except Federer actually went passed the all time greats in his sport. So obviously he's going to be have an unprecedented following. He has had unprecedented success and plays like he's holding a magic wand.

Having said that, the comments were bitter. Then again, how often does Fergie come across as bitter after we get a bad result? And the manner of this result has to have hit Federer hard.

He was bitter about Nadal in the beginning as well and it took a long time for him to give Nadal due credit, once he realised he will be mocked if he didn't. It is the same with Novak.

Read that earlier today. As I said, disagree completely with Federer's comments but he's entitled to his opinions and if it's just a knee jerk thing, then it's perfectly normal after such a jolting defeat. But his logic is flawed IMO.

I have always defended Federer and his magnanimity in rare defeats of the past (maybe cos he knew he'd soon be winning everything again) but he comes across here as a complete wanker

Very Arsene Wenger actually "we did everything but beat them and they then had the audacity to try and fight their way back and ...erm, they beat us"

What did he expect Djokovic to do ? simply simply admire his brilliant tennis and lay down and die?

What a twat

I have always defended Federer and his magnanimity in rare defeats of the past (maybe cos he knew he'd soon be winning everything again) but he comes across here as a complete wanker

Very Arsene Wenger actually "we did everything but beat them and they then had the audacity to try and fight their way back and ...erm, they beat us"

What did he expect Djokovic to do ? simply simply admire his brilliant tennis and lay down and die?

What a twat

Even Fergie is like that when the defeat is hard to swallow but most of us ignore/defend it. It's not right but it's fairly common for people who are obsessive about winning to do that.

You'll be the only tennis enthusiast in this thread who does not know in the real world that in 3 finals and 3 semis the reality is that he has not even come close - he has not for a moment in those clinch huge matches put the opponent under the slightest pressure - they have been crushing defeats just like this was - indicative of lacking any significant mental strength when in a big match situation.

To be as twattish as you are being, did you actually watch any if them ? Cos if you did you'd know Murray was never close in any of them. Did I just make that up? or Oh no, actually it's the truth!

You started being confrontational for some reason best known to yourself a few posts back :wenger: - why?

Now read up on the definition of 'statistics' and then counter it with 'reality'
- as wide a chasm as you'll get in this instance

I watched all of these games and all the Henman semis, and yes they were all hugely outplayed for the most part but thats irrelevant......

Even if you get triple bagled in 10 finals in a row, it doesn't change the fact you were near, just choked in the finals. It's still closer than going out in the semis, quarters and so on. That's still a lot close than the legitimately 100's of other professionals who enter these tournaments and leave before they even start, and are really no way near.

If this is "twattish" to you, then whatever, I mean I could legit be twattish about it like you were in the Kevin Davies thread(you were correct btw), but I'm not really.

Federer once again coming across poorly...He has reacted badly to losses before, and I can understand choking away a 2 set lead, and knowing that your window for winning another GS was closing very very quickly, is enough to upset most people.

But to question the shot Djokovic(I'm not a big fan) played, is pathetic.

Man up, congratulate the guy...realize that you almost got the job done, but didn't and lost against a guy who has been in ridiculous form this season.

"Federer went past the all time greats in his sport"

I don't really agree with that even if he holds the record number of Slams.

I think Nadal would be on around 14 as well if he'd played in an era with Roddick and Hewitt as his greatest competitors and no Federer around for a while.

But this is something we'll never agree on ;)

I don't think it was a fluke, he is a good returner but Novak basically thought "feck it I'll take a swing" and it paid off.

I was far more impressed with his return on the 2nd match point. That was an excellent first serve that tried to cramp him for room but Novak managed to get an brilliant return in whilst having no room whatsoever.

I don't think it was a fluke, he is a good returner but Novak basically thought "feck it I'll take a swing" and it paid off.

I was far more impressed with his return on the 2nd match point. That was an excellent first serve that tried to cramp him for room but Novak managed to get an brilliant return in whilst having no room whatsoever.

It was a great return but it was a bit of a fluke. He just threw everything at it and it paid off for him. When you're having the year he's having, such things just happen for you.

For the GOAT , Fed has a shockingly poor fifth set record. Do nerves get to him?

Barcelona keeper Valdes: Scholes was lucky
tribalfooball.com - April 30, 2008

Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes branded Paul Scholes' stunning Manchester United winner as "lucky".

Valdes didn't get close to Scholes' piledriver, but insisted afterwards: "I was well positioned, the pity is that Scholes has been lucky, he hit the ball well.

"It's quite normal that people are angry or dissatisfied with this team, the truth is that we are the first to ask ourselves these questions, since we had a lot of excitement about the Champions League and now we are out.

"So we have no choice, but to accept all criticism."
Federer's reaction reminds me of Valdes.

Nah. If you give a player a choice between winning a GS or a Masters they'd choose the GS.

Masters are slightly harder to win because you are playing 6 usually good opponents in a very short space of time (usually a week or so) but the GS has more prestige.

I ask because I noticed everybody knows Federer has 16 GS, Sampras 14, etc, but nobody really knows how many masters they have won. So when people say Federer is the greatest and in the same sentence mention 16 slams it doesn't really do it justice because, surely some of his masters wins are more 'valuable' than some of his Australian Opens, for example.

Same goes for other tennis players. Novak doesn't have the number of grand slams but he does have an impressive number of masters wins, especially considering who his opponents were. A direct comparison is still impossible, simply because of the age difference. The future rivalry is definitely between Novak, Rafa and Murray.

Nah. If you give a player a choice between winning a GS or a Masters they'd choose the GS.

Masters are slightly harder to win because you are playing 6 usually good opponents in a very short space of time (usually a week or so) but the GS has more prestige.

You can't possibly think I was serious?

I ask because I noticed everybody knows Federer has 16 GS, Sampras 14, etc, but nobody really knows how many masters they have won. So when people say Federer is the greatest and in the same sentence mention 16 slams it doesn't really do it justice because, surely some of his masters wins are more 'valuable' than some of his Australian Opens, for example.

Same goes for other tennis players. Novak doesn't have the number of grand slams but he does have an impressive number of masters wins, especially considering who his opponents were. A direct comparison is still impossible, simply because of the age difference. The future rivalry is definitely between Novak, Rafa and Murray.

Nadal is #1 of all time when it comes to Masters Series but tbh I doubt he even cares.

Federer at his peak and Nadal over the last 2 years don't much care about the Masters Series titles. Nadal raises his tennis by several levels when he plays the Slams as compared to the Masters.

The MS are just annoying tournaments which you play to stay match and gain some confidence for the Slams .

The World Tour Finals are quite prestigious though.

Masters are like the FA Cup and the Slams are the Champions League. Or International wise, European Championships to the World Cup.

Nadal is #1 of all time when it comes to Masters Series but tbh I doubt he even cares.

Federer at his peak and Nadal over the last 2 years don't much care about the Masters Series titles. Nadal raises his tennis by several levels when he plays the Slams as compared to the Masters.

The MS are just annoying tournaments which you play to stay match and gain some confidence for the Slams .

The World Tour Finals are quite prestigious though.

Don't understand what you mean by this. Annoying tournaments? You talking about the ATP 250's? Or all of them, even the 1000's?!

After losing for only the second time in 184 matches after claiming a two-set lead, Federer tried to project himself as a player who has done it all, seen it all, experienced it all. What had happened was a tribute to the unscripted nature of sports and, as he said, “that’s why we all watch.”

At the same time, Federer’s face was so pained it brought back memories of matches he lost to Nadal at Wimbledon and the Australian Open that left him in tears.

Federer looked as if he might have had another good cry in the locker room. Certainly his father, Robert, was distraught while he waited outside for a tournament official to let him in. While he did, mumbling to well-wishers about his son’s having “been so close,” Djokovic walked by, his bag over his shoulder.

“Novak, congratulations,” Robert Federer said.

They shook hands and a respectful Djokovic said, “Thank you, sir.”

Djokovic’s rise this year has helped Federer in the historical sense, slowing Nadal’s pursuit of Federer in the Grand Slam tournament victory race, with Nadal six titles behind and five years younger.

“Definitely I’ve had better seasons,” Federer said, while heartened by how close he remains to Djokovic, who has dominated everyone else on the tour, including Nadal. The good news for Federer was also the bad news. So close. And such pain.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/11/s...vic-federer-nadal-murray.html?_r=1&ref=tennis

"Federer went past the all time greats in his sport"

I don't really agree with that even if he holds the record number of Slams.

I think Nadal would be on around 14 as well if he'd played in an era with Roddick and Hewitt as his greatest competitors and no Federer around for a while.

But this is something we'll never agree on ;)

We'll see when it happens but hasn't happened yet so be patient.

Don't understand what you mean by this. Annoying tournaments? You talking about the ATP 250's? Or all of them, even the 1000's?!

All of them. Soon even Djoko will stop caring much about the Masters Series and concentrate solely on the slams. Just like Federer and Nadal have done over the years.

I hate Serena Williams. I absolutely detest her.

She's back to abusing umpires and It's what she does best. Such an unpleasant and unsporting competitor. She could learn a lot from her sister.

Serena just told the umpire at the changeover, "If we're walking down the same hall, walk the other way."

What a complete bitch. I hope she never wins a Slam again. Utterly classless :mad:

Just tuned in. What happened between Serena and the umpire? That last bit from Serene was truly embarrassing.

Just tuned in. What happened between Serena and the umpire? That last bit from Serene was truly embarrassing.

Serena was facing a break point in the second set and during a rally she shouts out "Come onnnnnn" long before Stosur even hits the shot and Serena got penalized for that and then she just lost it with the umpire.

Said something like "Were you the same one who screwed me the last time as well?"

She's a total and complete embarrassment to the sport. She might be a champion but one which no one will respect.

Come on Stosur!

Williams holds but then disgraces herself with a on-camera tirade at the umpire. "Don't even look at me," shouts Serena. "If I see you in the corridor don't even walk past me... a code violation for expressing my opinion, we're in America... you're unattractive inside..."