US Men's National Team Discussion

i agree with the first two points...i don't agree with the 3rd point bc i think there is talent all over that squad and we're a solid group just not elite

actually the assessment from Dempsey was absolutely spot on
Solid isn't enough. When we need creativity we don't show it. Simple tricks from opponents leave us on the floor. We are too direct in our play and thinking, which is exacerbated by Berhalter's tactics having no guile whatsoever.

We are going to get pumped by Uruguay.

What was this? He was a college player himself (Rutgers), so maybe he sees that as more viable? I've seen him say the best US players need to leave the US and play in Europe to really develop. So maybe he's splitting the baby.

It was a while back, think it was arguing with Holden or Twellman, both who toiled at college themselves but were adamant more US players should be competing in Europe and more youth going through academy systems if the US truly wanted to develop world class players and compete for a World Cup win. Lalas was trying to claim the US has developed world class players through college system but the truth is the likes of Dempsey, Keller, et al, are a dime a dozen players at most competitive nations. Lalas was likely seeing himself as a top class player when in reality he was a bang average defender on the world level.

It was a while back, think it was arguing with Holden or Twellman, both who toiled at college themselves but were adamant more US players should be competing in Europe and more youth going through academy systems if the US truly wanted to develop world class players and compete for a World Cup win. Lalas was trying to claim the US has developed world class players through college system but the truth is the likes of Dempsey, Keller, et al, are a dime a dozen players at most competitive nations. Lalas was likely seeing himself as a top class player when in reality he was a bang average defender on the world level.
I disagree a bit on the criticism for demps, and as for gk we were pretty good at turning out quality gks back in the day before transition to modern footy. Dempsey was a beast mentally and would be a good player on a lot of national teams.
But agree on the college system being trash for developing. Glad we've gone away from it

I disagree a bit on the criticism for demps, and as for gk we were pretty good at turning out quality gks back in the day before transition to modern footy. Dempsey was a beast mentally and would be a good player on a lot of national teams.
But agree on the college system being trash for developing. Glad we've gone away from it

A player like Dempsey likely develops more so through an academy system versus stunting through the college system. I think it proves the point further that college system is not conducive to full top tier development in this country. It's great if kids want to get an education and compete no higher than MLS. The academy system is where the money should be put.

Solid isn't enough. When we need creativity we don't show it. Simple tricks from opponents leave us on the floor. We are too direct in our play and thinking, which is exacerbated by Berhalter's tactics having no guile whatsoever.

for some reason they think Reyna is creative which he's not....he's not a 10 IMO and that is the one position where we could use an upgrade

Berhalter has tried to set up this team to replicate the style of Liverpool....3 work horses in the midfield and three attackers who just focus on attacking and defend by pressing the CB's as narrow forwards

Every country we play against are a bunch of cheating, diving, dirty, cheap-shot artists. I must be totally blinkered, but we don't play like that. I remember Clint Dempsey going down easy a few times and I never liked when he did that, but I see us riding bad tackles and taking the heat. How's it look to non-Americans?
This is Copa America. If you don't like gamesmanship you are in the wrong competition.

A player like Dempsey likely develops more so through an academy system versus stunting through the college system. I think it proves the point further that college system is not conducive to full top tier development in this country. It's great if kids want to get an education and compete no higher than MLS. The academy system is where the money should be put.
dempsey played for an academy in texas and then went on to play at Furman in college....he developed at Furman and i saw him play several times in college as i lived in SC for a number of years

dempsey played for an academy in texas and then went on to play at Furman in college....he developed at Furman and i saw him play several times in college as i lived in SC for a number of years
What a great town Greenville is.

He played for the old Dallas Texans pay-for-play youth squad way before it partnered with FC Dallas. And he wasn't required to pay as I believe they offset his costs due to his travels from East Texas and lack of wealth unlike most of his teammates. Today, he'd be in the FC Dallas youth system and receiving a development on par with numerous global academies and likely off to Europe by 16-18.

Last edited:

Dunno. Such a shite result this.

The way the fixture works I always assumed the path to the Copa involved beating Brazil and Colombia in whatever order, then Argentina.

I actually liked the fact we could rest players in that third game not giving a rats about 1st or 2nd. What a balls up.

This is Copa America. If you don't like gamesmanship you are in the wrong competition.
I meant more the part about the USA not diving and playing dirty. Our 4 fouls tonight, for instance. We don't do the gamesmanship/play acting. We will be up against the dirtiest, cheating-est, diving-est cnut in the history of the game, Suarez, so it should be interesting.

What was this? He was a college player himself (Rutgers), so maybe he sees that as more viable? I've seen him say the best US players need to leave the US and play in Europe to really develop. So maybe he's splitting the baby.

Lalas is undoubtedly the thickest, most obnoxious cnut I’ve ever seen in a pundits chair. Just because he says the odd thing that’s right, doesn’t change that.

I meant more the part about the USA not diving and playing dirty. Our 4 fouls tonight, for instance. We don't do the gamesmanship/play acting. We will be up against the dirtiest, cheating-est, diving-est cnut in the history of the game, Suarez, so it should be interesting.
you're up against the south and central american teams so you KNOW damn well what to expect....call it gamesmanship or whatever term you want but for us it's a simple term of naive

you score a man down and give up a goal less than 5 minutes later...POOR

you only commit 4 fouls the entire evening is naive especially with that REF...you've got to foul to slow the game down and waste time....again Naive

play them at their own game and just muck it up which we didn't do

Decent half considering all that went on. We have to do better in the final third. We had some decent build up but just couldn’t get decent shots off.

Awful performance in this tournament. We can make excuses about the ref but we just aren’t good enough. This feels a lot like not qualifying in 2018, just feel embarrassed. We are so far off it when it comes to any decent side. Lot of work to be done if we expect to do anything in the World Cup.

Awful performance in this tournament. We can make excuses about the ref but we just aren’t good enough. This feels a lot like not qualifying in 2018, just feel embarrassed. We are so far off it when it comes to any decent side. Lot of work to be done if we expect to do anything in the World Cup.
The common denominator in both is an American coach who is tactically naive and a bonfide narcissist. USSF will never own up to the disaster that was the hiring and then rehiring of Berhalter.

the positive about getting knocked out, just like mexico, is that this is the perfect reason to fire fecking Southgate of the South

100% for firing Berhalter but who to get in to replace?

According to Fox it’s either a “certain German guy in Liverpool who’s out of work” or “a guy in Manchester who loves the United States”. So they think the plausible answer is Klopp or Guardiola.

Was watching the post match interviews and half the players have strong English accents, and right after Lalas had the nerve to talk about developing a “golden generation”. Don’t you mean, poach or scout or golden generation? :lol: Or even, have other nations develop all our players with vague eligibility, and hope they choose to play for the US because they aren’t good enough to get in other national teams, Alexi?

Ain't no way Klopp or Baldy.fraudy would take this job, laughable. They guy they should have hired is with Canada for now. Maybe they can go get another MLS "world class" manager or tell themselves David Wagner could do this (surely can't be worse than Berhalter or Arena mark II).

The walls are definitely closing in on Gregg now. I read his brother moved on from the USSF. Lalas is publicly calling for change. The first article on ESPN.com is calling for his head. He's got to go. We can't let Gregg trot this trash out in 2026 when the US is the host nation for the world cup. Just unacceptable.

Gotta at least phone Klopp when he's on record saying stuff like this. “I will not manage another team in England, but I’m not saying I won’t manage again. Maybe in the United States, who knows?” When he says no, I don't know who else to call. I honestly think anyone would be an upgrade over Gregg though. Call big Sam. Call Moyes. They're not tactically amazing managers but they're good at motivating underdogs, which is what the USMNT is.

They HAVE to fire Gregg now.....if they don't then it just shows how weak the federation is and how there is a player first mentality and power

According to Fox it’s either a “certain German guy in Liverpool who’s out of work” or “a guy in Manchester who loves the United States”. So they think the plausible answer is Klopp or Guardiola.

Was watching the post match interviews and half the players have strong English accents, and right after Lalas had the nerve to talk about developing a “golden generation”. Don’t you mean, poach or scout or golden generation? :lol: Or even, have other nations develop all our players with vague eligibility, and hope they choose to play for the US because they aren’t good enough to get in other national teams, Alexi?
I doubt any of the first part is likely to happen but if there’s any truth to it, Klopp would suit the US better. Not sure what’s so controversial about the second part. We wouldn’t have been the first country to do this, though we shouldn’t need to. The talent exists here but for structure-related reasons, it’s not being harnessed fully yet.

We got out grouped by a canal. All you can do is laugh at this point.

This team may not be great, but there are good players and we should be doing better.

Beggars belief they are two American managers in this tournament and US got Berhalter and Canada have Marsch.

Look at who is in the knock outs. I know it went wrong for him at Leipzig and Leeds but I think he'd be a really good fit given how young the US squad generally is.

Can't believe they're just going to mess a real chance to go deep in a World cup.

Well, the top American candidate is coaching little brother so he’s out, but we need to go outside the MLS bucket immediately

Yeah should've gone for Marsch considering he's been available for the last 12 months.

I think I said a while back an ideal coach for a young squad like the one USA currently have was actually sitting in his bucket in the opposite dugout, a Bielsa type exactly what your squad needs especially as there's two years to the World cup so there's still time.

Berhalter is just like a Biden type and you're on a slow path to failure with him in charge. Don't really understand what's happened to the ruthless and gets things done now mentality in America when you look at the runners in politics and sport currently.

Him saying Panama was 1-1 was hilarious aswell as there was still half an hour left! Should only do it if it's in injury time in both games.

Yeah should've gone for Marsch considering he's been available for the last 12 months.

I think I said a while back an ideal coach for a young squad like the one USA currently have was actually sitting in his bucket in the opposite dugout, a Bielsa type exactly what your squad needs especially as there's two years to the World cup so there's still time.

Berhalter is just like a Biden type and you're on a slow path to failure with him in charge. Don't really understand what's happened to the ruthless and gets things done now mentality in America when you look at the runners in politics and sport currently.

Him saying Panama was 1-1 was hilarious aswell as there was still half an hour left! Should only do it if it's in injury time in both games.
Canada making it out of their group adds to that thought too