UK General Election - 12th December 2019 | Con 365, Lab 203, LD 11, SNP 48, Other 23 - Tory Majority of 80

How do you intend to vote in the 2019 General Election if eligible?

• Brexit Party

Votes: 30 4.3%
  • Conservatives

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • DUP

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Green

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • Labour

Votes: 355 51.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 58 8.4%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • SNP

Votes: 19 2.8%
  • UKIP

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (BNP, Change UK, UUP and anyone else that I have forgotten)

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Not voting

Votes: 57 8.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 41 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone think the retirement age for men might come down in the next 35 years? My girlfriends family all live till 95+ but the men in my family croak it before 70 as far back as we can remember. It's quite depressing.

It should do, all the older men in my family have passed, whilst all the women live on.

Anyone think the retirement age for men might come down in the next 35 years? My girlfriends family all live till 95+ but the men in my family croak it before 70 as far back as we can remember. It's quite depressing.

Doubtful as any differential between men and women would be seen as discriminatory (irrespective of actual life expectancy differences). I believe even insurers now have to charge the same for men as for women, despite the former being a greater insurable risk.

It's not an odd one at all. There is currently a court case going on regarding this. Iit is possible that it will be won by the Waspi women so the money will have to be found by whoever is in government regardless. Its going to be a black hole anyhow and considering the Conservatives have fought against it tooth and nail, its a no brainer for Labour to have an election pledge in order to boost support from as many as 3.8 million and other family members. Even Mrs & Mr 711 might get on board...

If Labour are saying this will happen irrespective of the outcome of the court case, then I don't see why it wouldn't be costed in the first place. Particularly because I understand the initial case was lost and its now at appeal stage, so at the very least the case is not certain to succeed.

Labour are the only party that are helping the homeless register to vote. They have teamed up with various business are providing their addresses for homeless people to use. To date Tories & Lib Dems have never put out any information for ANYONE to register to vote.

This is news to me. I've never heard anything from any of the parties during a GE. Could be a London thing perhaps.

Don't worry, you'll go past 80.

What do people think about the Waspi women thing? Alright with borrowing £58b to pay for the compensation? I have to admit Mrs 711 would gain substantially if this came about, so I hope you'll all be very happy for us.
As someone who's also affected (and my 65-year-old sister was affected to a worse extent, because she was counting on that money), I think the delaying of our state pensions has been an absolute travesty. "Oh, 3 million women born in the 50s? They'll be easy to steal from".

Many women born in the 50s didn't have a university education and a decent career. They had children and a job, often part-time - but they paid their stamp. My sister started paying hers when she was 14 years old, she should have had over 5 years of state pension by now. She's just had her letter to tell her it'll start being paid in March "if she wants to claim".

I should have had my state pension for the last year and a half, but as I have a good occupational pension I'm not missing it. But loads of older women are struggling.

The bottom line is that it's unfair, and despicable.

The goalposts should not be moved, they were promised retirement at 60 and that should be the case, as for if they should have been promised it in the first place, thats a different matter.

In the last election a number of people I know who were not natural Labour voters, who actually scorned Jeremy Corbyn as too left wing, nevertheless voted for the incumbent Labour candidate simply because that person is perceived locally to be a good constituency MP.

I wonder how many people in this GE will be voting for a candidate because they think he/she would make a good constituency MP, not just because of their party allegiance. Is it possible that such considerations could be a element in the election and how much difference (if any) could it make to the overall outcome?

In the last election a number of people I know who were not natural Labour voters, who actually scorned Jeremy Corbyn as too left wing, nevertheless voted for the incumbent Labour candidate simply because that person is perceived locally to be a good constituency MP.

I wonder how many people in this GE will be voting for a candidate because they think he/she would make a good constituency MP, not just because of their party allegiance. Is it possible that such considerations could be a element in the election and how much difference (if any) could it make to the overall outcome?
Local MP is often a factor with a lot of people i think - in this election we also have the spectre of brexit which split votes somewhat though not completly on party lines which will impact some peoples votes... perhaps the two most divicive leaders since thatcher & foot, possible election fatigue with so many votes over the last few years, the brexit party only standing in some seats, a number of incumbent MP's standing as independents and a number having changed sides and throw into the mix a december election which may or may not impact turnout and if it does may or may not impact certain demographics more
for some people im sure the local MP will play a part

As someone who's also affected (and my 65-year-old sister was affected to a worse extent, because she was counting on that money), I think the delaying of our state pensions has been an absolute travesty. "Oh, 3 million women born in the 50s? They'll be easy to steal from".

Many women born in the 50s didn't have a university education and a decent career. They had children and a job, often part-time - but they paid their stamp. My sister started paying hers when she was 14 years old, she should have had over 5 years of state pension by now. She's just had her letter to tell her it'll start being paid in March "if she wants to claim".

I should have had my state pension for the last year and a half, but as I have a good occupational pension I'm not missing it. But loads of older women are struggling.

I suspect (for your sister and others) this sort of notification/reply from the authorities just adds insult to injury. Tell her to reply saying "yes I do and with 5 years back pay (with interest)...please always pays to be courteous!

One of the downsides to our political system is that we have so much wrapped up in a single vote. If you're a lifelong Labour voter that likes your MP, but dislikes Jeremy Corbyn and hates the idea of a second referendum, how on earth do you vote? You might decide that your local MP is good enough to support, but in doing so you have no choice but to support those other things as well.

This election does feel a bit more dominated by national events compared to previous ones. After all, it was called due to a logjam in Parliament and for no other reason. I would guess we'll see more tactical voting and less voting for local reasons than in previous years.

One of the downsides to our political system is that we have so much wrapped up in a single vote. If you're a lifelong Labour voter that likes your MP, but dislikes Jeremy Corbyn and hates the idea of a second referendum, how on earth do you vote? You might decide that your local MP is good enough to support, but in doing so you have no choice but to support those other things as well.

This election does feel a bit more dominated by national events compared to previous ones. After all, it was called due to a logjam in Parliament and for no other reason. I would guess we'll see more tactical voting and less voting for local reasons than in previous years.

No it wasn't, parliament voted for the second reading of his bill, but refused his ridiculous 3 day timetable to scrutinise it. The election was called because the executive refused to allow parliament to properly do it's job on the most important piece of legislation probably since Maastricht.

latest

Last edited:

Me and my surrounding family have got the inverse of this problem.

The Labour MP in Oldham has done a shambolic job, possibly covering up sex rings and it seems at least not doing enough to stop them, however I can't vote for the tories due to the state they'll leave the country in.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ma...investigation-historic-child-sex-17303968.amp

This explains a little better

The goalposts should not be moved, they were promised retirement at 60 and that should be the case, as for if they should have been promised it in the first place, thats a different matter.

Its not a case that they were promised something, the pensions act of 1991 informed them of reform between 2010-2020 to equalise retirement age. This was a full 25-30 years before they would retire so they had time to plan accordingly. However the coalition government decided that they would speed up reform in the Pensions Act of 2011 and just before retirement a lot of these women found out that they would have to wait anywhere between 1-6 years longer for their retirement. It was poorly planned, communicated and executed. Just like anything that has to do with welfare, the Tories and the Lib Dems at the time simply couldn't give a feck.

Not sure if this should go in here or if there's a separate BBC thread

For me the problem is an institutionally racist opposition lead by the most unpopular opposition leader since polls began who won't commit to an opinion on the biggest issue in the election.
Rubbish. We've had this conversation before. You know that claim is unfounded yet repeat Guido campaign lines.

Point is, you had just said the problem was a weak opposition. Yet you are going to vote for the weaker opposition, The Lib Dems. Who poll even worse than Labour.

No it wasn't, parliament voted for the second reading of his bill, but refused his ridiculous 3 day timetable to scrutinise it. The election was called because the executive refused to allow parliament to properly do it's job on the most important piece of legislation probably since Maastricht.

Exactly. Yet another lie from Boris - I don't want an election in December.
What utter crap.
As you rightly say it was he who chose to withdraw his so called Fantastic Oven Ready Deal because parliament wanted to give it proper scrutiny.
The man has no idea of what is factual and what he wants the facts to be.
Zero trust. Zero interest in the truth. Keep telling the fools the same 3 word slogans and they will take it hook line and sinker.

Agreed. I've heard women say they don't have any time for the 'women's rights lot' as they're only interested in rights for middle class career women, and have no idea what it's like for the ordinary ones. When you look at the lack of support for Waspies among the normally vociferous left I think they might have a point. Some causes just aren't fashionable enough.

Big YouGov is out Wednesday at 10pm. Just gonna save myself the bother this time and assume that's the result until the night of the 12th.

I believe I read the Tory manifesto has a section on redefining the voting boundary lines which they've been trying to do for a while. Do they see this as their best chance yet? Is there a hope in hell they would divvy the nation up fairly or would they simply carve up marginals in a way that favours them and guarantees Tory majorities for ever more?
Is this definitely in their manifesto? I know they've spoken about it alot.

I think you already know the answer to that question.

Tbh my biggest fear is not that the Tories get in with a majority but that they get in and then put as many obstacles as possible in the way of ever removing them from power. We've seen a shift that way in the US and we're seeing it here too with proposals like photo ID as a requirement for voting. It's a deliberate and cynical attempt to strangle democracy and when you couple it with their stranglehold on the media it's genuinely depressing stuff.

I remember Laura Pidcock giving a speech a few months back about subverting the system and upsetting the ruling class and she ended it with the old adage that the darkest hour is just before dawn and that dawn was on it's way. I fear she may be very wrong on that. I think the sun is only just going down still.
We are not far from becoming a one party state if the Tories have their way.

This 'anything but Corbyn' policy is disgusting. Up until he became head of the Labour party, all you would ever hear from anyone you spoke to about politics is how disillusioned they were because you can't trust any of them. Corbyn is one of the only prominent politicians in my life time that has his integrity in tact.

Not only has he always campaigned for peace and equality, at every level, he also has an exemplary voting record, which can be seen by all.

Look past the propaganda and look at the facts.
Absolutely. It shows the power of media. Repeating a negative message over a long period of time becomes ingrained into some peoples minds.

What do people think about the Waspi women thing? Alright with borrowing £58b to pay for the compensation? I have to admit Mrs 711 would gain substantially if this came about, so I hope you'll all be very happy for us.
To be fair, I think it is the right thing to do. I believe it has been costed.

My Mum is part of that WASPI generation and never received this supposed notification in the 1990's informing her of the change.

Mines already gone up from 65 to 67 to 68 now since I've been working. I'm 37! God knows what it will be by the time I get to retirement age.

It's unfortunate for the ones that had no notice for sure but I think it's hard for generations underneath that are going to likely inherit much worse conditions to be all that bothered about it.
It will be work until you die mate, sorry. Same for me!

Problem is it is hard for most people to maintain working life even up to 65. I have family members who are struggling. Also some friends who need to change away from a physical job in their late 50s but can't retrain and get the same wage. It is ridiculous.

Mines already gone up from 65 to 67 to 68 now since I've been working. I'm 37! God knows what it will be by the time I get to retirement age.

It's unfortunate for the ones that had no notice for sure but I think it's hard for generations underneath that are going to likely inherit much worse conditions to be all that bothered about it.
Women who, at the time, could not earn anywhere near as much as men and where not informed of the change with enough time to prepare.

The wage disparity between men and women is still there now. But in the 70s, 80s and even 90s it was an even bigger gap.

Life insurance is your (girlfriends) friend.

Westminster voting intention:

CON: 41% (-1)
LAB: 34% (+2)
LDEM: 13% (-)
BREX: 4% (-1)

via @ICMResearch, 22 - 25 Nov
Chgs. w/ 18 Nov

We are not far from becoming a one party state if the Tories have their way.

More like if their right wing media mates have their way. To which we should be asking Why. Simple. For the few and not the many.
As I have mentioned before, a Tory majority will be terrible for democracy in this country.

Status
Not open for further replies.