UK General Election - 12th December 2019 | Con 365, Lab 203, LD 11, SNP 48, Other 23 - Tory Majority of 80

How do you intend to vote in the 2019 General Election if eligible?

• Brexit Party

Votes: 30 4.3%
  • Conservatives

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • DUP

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Green

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • Labour

Votes: 355 51.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 58 8.4%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • SNP

Votes: 19 2.8%
  • UKIP

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (BNP, Change UK, UUP and anyone else that I have forgotten)

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Not voting

Votes: 57 8.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 41 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
More like if their right wing media mates have their way. To which we should be asking Why. Simple. For the few and not the many.
As I have mentioned before, a Tory majority will be terrible for democracy in this country.
True. It would be a scary corporate influenced right wing fest.

TLW quote

How is that any different to the coal miners and auto industry workers who still blame Thatcher and the Tories for them not having found work in the last 30 years? There are plenty of them in my area.

Anyone think the retirement age for men might come down in the next 35 years? My girlfriends family all live till 95+ but the men in my family croak it before 70 as far back as we can remember. It's quite depressing.
I think the stats are on average that both men and women are living longer... But also that on average people require more medical interventions and these interventions are costing more

As such I'd expect retirement ages to go up for everybody

Though counter to that is the potential or increased automisation which might lead to an overall reduction in the workforce and one way to phase that in could be the lowering of retirement ages in combination with reduced hours etc.

I wouldn't expect any divergence on male / female retirement ages in the short or mid term

How is that any different to the coal miners and auto industry workers who still blame Thatcher and the Tories for them not having found work in the last 30 years? There are plenty of them in my area.
Guy One - I hate labour because the tories killed my industry.

Guy Two - I hate the Tories because they killed my industry.

The guy Steve is talking about is blaming Labour for something the tories did in the 80's. Where as the miners and auto industry workers that live in your area are blaming the tories for something the tories actually did.

Fair enough. Do you believe it is the right thing to do?

I’m not against it in isolation. But not in the context of other things it could be spent on. And it hardly breeds trust in McDonnell if he produces a balanced budget and two days later it’s already £11bn in the red.

I am pretty much resigned to not being able to stop Brexit now.

Leavers are predominantly voting Conservative, which at least is a better option than Brexit Party.

The LibDems aren't a viable alternative and they've put on a poor show at campaigning.

I won't put my views on a possible Labour administration.

Leavers are predominantly voting Conservative, which at least is a better option than Brexit Party.

The LibDems aren't a viable alternative and they've put on a poor show at campaigning.

Only Labour can give you a chance to stop Brexit.

Vote Labour and hope for a hung parliament.

The guy Steve is talking about is blaming Labour for something the tories did in the 80's. Where as the miners and auto industry workers that live in your area are blaming the tories for something the tories actually did.

Both 30 years ago. If you haven't moved on from that its on you, not the government of the time.

I’m not against it in isolation. But not in the context of other things it could be spent on. And it hardly breeds trust in McDonnell if he produces a balanced budget and two days later it’s already £11bn in the red.
£11b a year, £55b in total. I'm open to persuasion either way, but come up to with it out of the blue two days after proudly claiming to have a fully costed budget blows the claim wide open. People will say what's next.

This election is seriously depressing.

No one I want to vote for. All parties throwing bribes and ridiculous policies around. Like parts of policies from different parties.

I don't even buy the conservatives "getting Brexit done" nonsense. What they're actually suggesting is 12 months more almost certainly failed negotiations, then what?

Then again, they''ll just tear up whatever is in the manifesto anyway and do what they want?

Lowest ebb in UK politics I can remember.

A comprehensive roundup of antisemitism and racism in the Conservative Party:

If it makes you feel any better the SNP will keep Labour in check with their coalition.

This election is seriously depressing.

No one I want to vote for. All parties throwing bribes and ridiculous policies around. Like parts of policies from different parties.

I don't even buy the conservatives "getting Brexit done" nonsense. What they're actually suggesting is 12 months more almost certainly failed negotiations, then what?

Then again, they''ll just tear up whatever is in the manifesto anyway and do what they want?

Lowest ebb in UK politics I can remember.
The most depressing thing about modern UK politics is the staggering volume of the electorate who feel comfortable depicting essential investments in our crumbling infrastructure and public services as nowt but ridiculous bribes.

Come off it Paul you know Labour is the only chance left to stop Brexit.

Not with their current strategy. To have a referendum you've got to have something on the other side of the ballot paper from Remain. A BRINO means accepting the 4 freedoms , being in the customs Union and the Single market not close alignment or a customs union. Corbyn's never going to get what he suggests in three years never mind three months.

So if Labour are so in favour of Remain why not just have a referendum between Remain and Johnson's or May's deal and Corbyn campaigns for Remain just like Wilson did (shh don't tell Corbyn). If Johnson's or May's deal are so horrendous surely the public will more likely vote for Remain and Corbyn can save himself the trouble of embarrassing himself.

To be fair, I think it is the right thing to do. I believe it has been costed.

My Mum is part of that WASPI generation and never received this supposed notification in the 1990's informing her of the change.
I've never had anything about it, either.
I suspect (for your sister and others) this sort of notification/reply from the authorities just adds insult to injury. Tell her to reply saying "yes I do and with 5 years back pay (with interest)...please always pays to be courteous!
We completed the form for her online together, me in one country and her in another. She's having a party in March when she gets the first payment. :)

Labour, Tories, what's the difference, the only thing that matters is the aesthetic of anger.

Not with their current strategy. To have a referendum you've got to have something on the other side of the ballot paper from Remain. A BRINO means accepting the 4 freedoms , being in the customs Union and the Single market not close alignment or a customs union. Corbyn's never going to get what he suggests in three years never mind three months.

So if Labour are so in favour of Remain why not just have a referendum between Remain and Johnson's or May's deal and Corbyn campaigns for Remain just like Wilson did (shh don't tell Corbyn). If Johnson's or May's deal are so horrendous surely the public will more likely vote for Remain and Corbyn can save himself the trouble of embarrassing himself.

So what exactly are you saying that Labour won’t have the referendum if they were to come in power or that they will not have a credible deal against remain?

So what exactly are you saying that Labour won’t have the referendum if they were to come in power or that they will not have a credible deal against remain?

Maybe both - if the public want Johnson' s deal they are going to vote Tory anyway. So Labour don't have a chance and will lose anyway. If they don't want Johnson's deal then Labour have a much better chance of winning the election by convincingly suggesting they are very pro-remain and will campaign thus and offer a referendum between the two - this would also take votes away from the LibDems and maybe the SNP.

Maybe both - if the public want Johnson' s deal they are going to vote Tory anyway. So Labour don't have a chance and will lose anyway. If they don't want Johnson's deal then Labour have a much better chance of winning the election by convincingly suggesting they are very pro-remain and will campaign thus and offer a referendum between the two - this would also take votes away from the LibDems and maybe the SNP.

We’re not talking about who’s going to win. We’re talking about what the choices for prople concerned with Brexit ONLY are.

Tories = Brexit
Labour = Chance of no Brexit
Lib Dems, Greens, etc = Tories = Brexit.

You wouldn’t put it past Boris to head for no deal once in charge with a majority. That risk needs to absolutely be taken into account.

We’re not talking about who’s going to win. We’re talking about what the choices for prople concerned with Brexit ONLY are.

Tories = Brexit

You wouldn’t put it past Boris to head for no deal once in charge with a majority. That risk needs to absolutely be taken into account.

If you're in a lib dem / tory area its a waste of a vote going Labour. You'd be better served voting lib dem and stopping the tories getting an extra seat.

Tories = Brexit

As it stands all I can see is a Tory majority. Corbyn has a highly dubious Brexit strategy and a highly dubious manifesto notwithstanding his popularity. Whether you like it or not Brexit is the major topic of this election because it affects everything else. The only ways you can prevent a no deal whoever wins is either a) revoke A50 or b) not only get a withdrawal agreement but also get a trade deal thereafter and you can't start negotiating a trade deal until the UK have left and there is no guarantee that a withdrawal agreement is agreed or a trade deal is agreed whoever is in charge.

If you're in a lib dem / tory area its a waste of a vote going Labour. You'd be better served voting lib dem and stopping the tories getting an extra seat.

Tactical voting is a must. But there’s very few areas where Lib Dems have come second to Tories in the last election.

For me if I was to divide it, Sin Feinn in NI purely to keep the DUP out and lower the amount of voting MPs. SNP in Scotland to wipe the Tories and Lib Dems in hope that they get Swinson too. Labour across most of England and most of Wales with some Plaid support in certain areas. Greens in Brighton goes without saying as Caroline Lucas will be an MP for life there. Lib Dems in incumbent seats in England and some Conservative seats in the South. Having said that there were a lot of hard Conservative electorates that warmed up to Labour in the 2017 election. Winning Kensington even if it was just by 20 votes was probably the biggest coup in almost 50 years.

I think there will be a lot of surprises because this election has so many factors and variables. It’s completely unpredictable what’s going to happen.

As it stands all I can see is a Tory majority. Corbyn has a highly dubious Brexit strategy and a highly dubious manifesto notwithstanding his popularity. Whether you like it or not Brexit is the major topic of this election because it affects everything else. The only ways you can prevent a no deal whoever wins is either a) revoke A50 or b) not only get a withdrawal agreement but also get a trade deal thereafter and you can't start negotiating a trade deal until the UK have left and there is no guarantee that a withdrawal agreement is agreed or a trade deal is agreed whoever is in charge.

None of these details matter. Labour is the only obstacle to Brexit. Simples.

This obviously is off topic, but do you really think that's a ridiculous thing to say? Whatever the rights and wrongs of the Israel Palestinian situation, Israel has been repeatedly attacked by militants based in Gaza.

Its behind a paywall what does it say? To be honest it doesn’t matter much what it says. There’s less than 300k Jews in the UK so whichever way they vote it’s unlikely to make a major difference as even where there’s a much higher concentration of Jews like in Barnet for example they’ve always voted Conservatives in.

I think if it gets "cut-through" it could affect more people than just the 300,000 Jewish people. Also doesn't help to have these stories repeatedly come up when Labour are trying to accuse conservatives of lacking empathy, racism etc.

Its behind a paywall what does it say? To be honest it doesn’t matter much what it says. There’s less than 300k Jews in the UK so whichever way they vote it’s unlikely to make a major difference as even where there’s a much higher concentration of Jews like in Barnet for example they’ve always voted Conservatives in.

You know there may be some non-Jews moved by this?

Status
Not open for further replies.