UK General Election - 12th December 2019 | Con 365, Lab 203, LD 11, SNP 48, Other 23 - Tory Majority of 80

How do you intend to vote in the 2019 General Election if eligible?

• Brexit Party

Votes: 30 4.3%
  • Conservatives

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • DUP

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Green

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • Labour

Votes: 355 51.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 58 8.4%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • SNP

Votes: 19 2.8%
  • UKIP

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (BNP, Change UK, UUP and anyone else that I have forgotten)

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Not voting

Votes: 57 8.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 41 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know there may be some non-Jews moved by this?

I don’t expect it will make a dent because there has been and endless amount of shit that has been thrown on Labour and Corbyn in the last 4 years that has made people oblivious to anything that continues to pop up even when there is some merit.

Its behind a paywall what does it say? To be honest it doesn’t matter much what it says. There’s less than 300k Jews in the UK so whichever way they vote it’s unlikely to make a major difference as even where there’s a much higher concentration of Jews like in Barnet for example they’ve always voted Conservatives in.
Yep and one doesn’t want to upset 3 million mostly labour Muslims by being too vocal or quick to act on antisemitism.

I'm sorry and I don't mean to demean anti-semitism and the horrors surrounding it in the 20th century, but I do find the Rabbi's comments here utterly hysterical. The idea of Corbyn being this neo Hitler raring to go with his momentum brown shirts on December 13th is ludicrous.

There's another group of people in this country who've endured almost half the total proportion of hate crimes, yet you have the Prime Minister himself fanning the flames and dropping any investigations into it. Are we suggesting December 13th is judgement day for the Muslims of Britain on the likely event of a Tory majority?

This obviously is off topic, but do you really think that's a ridiculous thing to say? Whatever the rights and wrongs of the Israel Palestinian situation, Israel has been repeatedly attacked by militants based in Gaza.
Yeah here one of the weapons used by the militants -

s-l300.jpg

Honestly just from your post, we are never going to agree. But just to answer your question - yes its completely ridiculous thing to say.

Yep and one doesn’t want to upset 3 million mostly labour Muslims by being too vocal or quick to act on antisemitism.

Where did you pull that idea from?

Are you accusing all Muslims of being proponents of antisemitism?

I'm sorry and I don't mean to demean anti-semitism and the horrors surrounding it in the 20th century, but I do find the Rabbi's comments here utterly hysterical. The idea of Corbyn being this neo Hitler raring to go with his momentum brown shirts on December 13th is ludicrous.

There's another group of people in this country who've endured almost half the total proportion of hate crimes, yet you have the Prime Minister himself fanning the flames and dropping any investigations into it. Are we suggesting December 13th is judgement day for the Muslims of Britain on the likely event of a Tory majority?
This government has literally deported black citizens. But yeah Corbyn once liked a Facebook post.

From labour hq POV it could be viewed that way. There has been heel dragging getting to grip with the problem.

No, its something viewed by yourself, at least own it instead of deflecting with sweeping hypotheticals.

And by your logic the 3 million Muslims would have been dismayed by Corbyn declaring quite strongly on public television that anti-semitism was unacceptable.

Where did you pull that idea from?

Are you accusing all Muslims of being proponents of antisemitism?
No
No, its something viewed by yourself, at least own it instead of deflecting with sweeping hypotheticals.

And by your logic the 3 million Muslims would have been dismayed by Corbyn declaring quite strongly on public television that anti-semitism was unacceptable.
No sweeping deflection. And what is ‘quite’ strongly? He should totally flatten it, first and last. The same as with racism. People can’t be blamed for thinking that an obvious half-hearted response is born out of some personal dispositions. His history would hold up some of that. And among the Muslim community there will be a fair amount of solidarity with the Palestinian cause.

Yeah here one of the weapons used by the militants -

s-l300.jpg

Honestly just from your post, we are never going to agree. But just to answer your question - yes its completely ridiculous thing to say.

I'm no massive supporter of Israel, but it is a complex situation and I think its important to have compassion with people on both sides. If Portsmouth (Tel Aviv) was being constantly targeted by Mortar fire and people being kidnapped and killed by people in the Isle of Wight the political pressure to do something would be massive, and those being attacked would feel the right to defend themselves. Of course the Israeli right-wing/military then uses it as an excuse to go much too far, but that should also be separately condemned.

Isn't it always surprising how numbers are left out of the anti-semtism debate, usually when somethings a huge problem it's demonstrated as such with figures.

I expect he wouldn't label his own institution as homophobic and a threat to all LGBT despite a very hostile minority in his own institution.

Why has this suddenly turned into a Palestine vs Israel and Muslim vs Jews discussion?

The Rabbi made a political intervention against Labour. Plenty of Jews have pulled him up on it because it is clearly unfair and is favouring someone he has endorsed in the past who is probably a bigger threat to all religions and minorities than Corbyn or Labour can ever be. There’s plenty of Jewish groups that have counterarguments about the conflation of anti-semitism in the Labour party with criticism of the agressions of the state of Israel.

In the end this doesn’t matter much because there’s no new information. This has all been done pretty much to death in the last four years and quite frankly not many care because of the fake news syndrome.

No

No sweeping deflection. And what is ‘quite’ strongly? He should totally flatten it, first and last. The same as with racism. People can’t be blamed for thinking that an obvious half-hearted response is born out of some personal dispositions. His history would hold up some of that. And among the Muslim community there will be a fair amount of solidarity with the Palestinian cause.

To be fair that is what it sounded like, it was a quality bit of dog-whistling, particularly as you yet again seem to continually generalise the Muslim community as much as Rod Liddle does.

I'm no massive supporter of Israel, but it is a complex situation and I think its important to have compassion with people on both sides. If Portsmouth (Tel Aviv) was being constantly targeted by Mortar fire and people being kidnapped and killed by people in the Isle of Wight the political pressure to do something would be massive, and those being attacked would feel the right to defend themselves. Of course the Israeli right-wing/military then uses it as an excuse to go much too far, but that should also be separately condemned.
Your Portsmouth example just isn't the same at all. Honestly mate we aren't going to agree.

It's fine raising the retirement àge to even 100, but who will employ you? It's just more centrist madness.

You say that. I was craving a meatball marinara from Subway a couple of days ago and while queuing I saw an OAP clearly in his late 60s early 70s being showed how to use the till by a teenager. It was heartbreaking.

No

Flatten it how exactly? He's condemned it to the strongest manner in interviews and debates, suspended councilors, barred candidates from standing in elections. He's certainly done a lot more at attempting to hammer down on bigotry within his party than the Tories have, lest we forget their attitude towards Islamophobia AND anti-semitism for that matter.

And why are you assuming that those who hold sympathetic views towards the Palestinians are by design anti-semitic?

To be fair that is what it sounded like, it was a quality bit of dog-whistling, particularly as you yet again seem to continually generalise the Muslim community as much as Rod Liddle does.
I’m not generalising the Muslim community. But elections are a game of numbers. The tories for instance may put out policies to help business owners. Are all business owners Tory voters? Probably not. But a good number will be. I responded to a post that implied that 300,000 Jewish voters would not have too much influence either way on labour fortunes and that they would tend to vote Tory anyway. Well there’s another side to that logic and I’m suggesting it isn’t lost on labour HQ.

I’m not generalising the Muslim community. But elections are a game of numbers. The tories for instance may put out policies to help business owners. Are all business owners Tory voters? Probably not. But a good number will be. I responded to a post that implied that 300,000 Jewish voters would not have too much influence either way on labour fortunes and that they would tend to vote Tory anyway. Well there’s another side to that logic and I’m suggesting it isn’t lost on labour HQ.

You are generalising and saying that, at the very least if I'm being charitable, a great proportion of the Muslim community is motivated by anti-semetism. So because of that Corbyn can't condemn anti-semetism, even though he has done live on air but not to your own satisfaction. That is a bit different than business owners being motivated by low taxes.

I’m not generalising the Muslim community. But elections are a game of numbers. The tories for instance may put out policies to help business owners. Are all business owners Tory voters? Probably not. But a good number will be. I responded to a post that implied that 300,000 Jewish voters would not have too much influence either way

My generalisation was to highlight the numbers behind the Jewish community. I didn’t generalise them for the purpose of playing down antisemitism which is what you’re trying to suggest.

There are plenty of independent Jewish movements supporting Labour, their fight against anti-semitism in the party and Corbyn. They’re highly critical in fact of mainstream Jewish media and religious figures who claim to speak for all Jews. There was a whole “Not in our Name” campaign from Independent Jewish Voices last year when Jewish publications jointly attacked Labour.

https://ijv.org.uk/2018/07/26/not-in-our-name/

Good to see the NKVD return, the UK certainly needs that distinctive Stalinist voice to root out the Trotskyite menace.

Last edited:
Yes, you are. You're saying that 3 million Muslims will be upset by countering claims of anti-Semitism.

3 million people.

That's pretty much the definition of generalising.

Rival MP is a bit of a stretch. Or just incorrect. He hadn't been a rival MP in a decade

And that somehow makes his assessment of Jeremy Corbyn less valid? He was in parliament for 22 years. How about other prominent public Jewish figures like Stephen Fry, Geoffrey Bindman, Zoe Wanamaker etc. all people with various orders of the British Empire no less, what about their opinions on Labour and Corbyn? More than thirty Rabbis signed a letter supporting Corbyn and labelling attacks on him on grounds of anti-semitism fabrications and irresponsible. Then there’s a list of event spanning back as many as 40 years with his actions in support of the Jewish community.

• Corbyn organised the Apr. 1977 defence of Jewish populated Wood Green from a Neo-Nazi march
  • EDM3933 7 Nov. 1990: Corbyn signs motion condemning the rise of antisemitism
  • EDM634, 11 Apr. 2000: Jeremy Corbyn signs motion condemning David Irving for being a Holocaust Denier
  • EDM1124, 6 Nov. 2000: Jeremy Corbyn praised the ‘British Schindler’, Bill Barazetti, for his WW2 kindertransport
  • EDM742, 28 Jan. 2002: Jeremy Corbyn signs motion praising football clubs for commemorating Holocaust Day
  • EDM1233 30 Apr. 2002: Corbyn was a primary sponsor on a motion condemning antisemitism
  • 11 May 2002: Jeremy led a clean up of Finsbury Park Synagogue after an anti-Semitic attack
  • EDM1691, 23 July 2002: Corbyn condemned attacks on a synagogue in Swansea
  • EDM123 26 Nov. 2003: Corbyn officially condemns attacks on 2 Istanbul synagogues
  • EDM298, 16 Dec. 2003: Jeremy Corbyn signs motion commemorating International Holocaust Day
  • 2004: Jeremy condemned news that anti-Semitic hate crimes had risen for yet another year
  • EDM461, 21 Jan. 2004: Jeremy Corbyn condemned the French government’s moves to ban the Jewish Kippa in French Schools
  • EDM717, 26 Feb. 2004: Jeremy signed a motion praising Simon Wiesenthal for bringing Nazi perpetrators of the Holocaust to justice
  • EDM1613, 8 Sept. 2004: Corbyn co-sponsored a bill expressing fears for the future of the United Synagogue Pension Scheme
  • EDM1699, 11 Oct. 2004: Jeremy Corbyn condemned arbitrary attacks on civilians in Israel and Palestine
  • EDM482, 12 Jan. 2005: Jeremy Corbyn signs a motion commemorating International Holocaust Day
  • EDM343, 16 June 2005: Jeremy condemned the desecration of a Jewish cemetery in east London
  • EDM1343, 11 Jan. 2006: Jeremy Corbyn signs a motion commemorating International Holocaust Day
  • EDM1774, 8 Mar. 2006: Jeremy Corbyn led condemnations of an Iranian Magazine soliciting cartoons about the Holocaust
  • EDM1267, 16 Apr. 2006: Jeremy Corbyn condemned Bryan Ferry for anti-Semitic remarks
  • EDM2414, 26 June 2006: Jeremy Corbyn praised British war veterans for their efforts to combat the Holocaust
  • EDM2705, 10 Oct. 2006: Jeremy signed a motion marking the 70th anniversary of Cable Street
  • EDM271, 14 Nov. 2007: Jeremy co-sponsored a motion lamenting the poverty and social exclusion East London Jews suffered
  • EDM153, 12 May 2008: Corbyn praised the efforts of the Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto during the uprising of 1944
  • EDM2350, 27 Oct 2008: Jeremy Corbyn signs a motion marking the 70th anniversary of the horrors of the holocaust
  • EDM173, 8 Dec. 2008: Jeremy condemned the Press Complaints Commission for refusing to sanction The Times for antisemitism
  • EDM461, 14 Jan. 2009: Jeremy Corbyn condemned a wave of recent anti-Semitic incidents targeted
  • EDM605, 27 Jan. 2009: Corbyn signed John Mann’s motion condemning antisemitism on university campuses
  • EDM917 26 Feb. 2009: Jeremy signs a motion condemning antisemitism on the internet
  • EDM1175 24 Mar. 2009: Corbyn signs a motion praising the heroism of British Jews during Holocaust
  • EDM337, 2 Dec. 2009: Jeremy Condemned Iran’s treatment of Jewish minorities in Iran
  • EDM850 9 Feb. 2010: Jeremy joins in calls for Facebook to do more to fight antisemitism
  • EDM891: 22 Feb 2010: Corbyn co-sponsors a motion calling for Yemen’s Jews to be given refugee status to the UK
  • EDM908 27 Oct. 2010: Corbyn praises work of late Israeli PM in his pursuit of a 2 state solution
  • EDM1360, 27 Jan. 2011: Corbyn co-sponsored a motion praising the ‘never again for anyone initiative’
  • EDM1527, 3 Mar. 2011: Corbyn backed Ian Paisley’s motion condemning the anti-Semitic remarks of Dior’s lead fashion designer
  • EDM2870, 14 Mar. 2012: Jeremy Corbyn condemned the sale of Nazi memorabilia at an auction in Bristol
  • EDM2866, 14 Mar 2012: Jeremy Corbyn co-sponsored a bill condemning the rise of antisemitism in Lithuania
  • EDM2899, 20 Mar. 2012, Jeremy Corbyn condemned a terrorist attack on a Jewish school in Toulouse
  • EDM168, 12 June 2012, Jeremy co-sponsored a motion condemning anti-Semitic attacks during EURO 2012 in Poland
  • EDM 195 13 June 2012: Jeremy attacks BBC for cutting Jewish programmes from Its schedule
  • EDM 1133 1 Mar 2013: Corbyn joins a chorus of calls condemning antisemitism In sport
  • 1 Oct. 2013: Corbyn was one of the few MPs who defended Ralph Miliband from Daily Mail antisemitism
  • EDM 932 9 Jan 2014: Jeremy praises Holocaust Memorial’s work on antisemitism education
  • EDM 165 22 June 2015: Jeremy condemns a Neo-Nazi rally planned for a Jewish area of London
  • Sat 4 July 2015: Jeremy co-planned a counter-fascist demo in defence of Jewish residents at Golders Green. The march was re-routed
  • 18 Nov. 2015, Corbyn used one of his first PMQs to challenge Cameron to do more on antisemiUsm
  • 9 Oct 2016: Corbyn, close to tears, leads commemoration of the Battle of Cable Street
  • 3 Dec. 2016: Corbyn visits Terezin Concentration Camp to commemorate Holocaust victims
  • In 2017-19 Jeremy introduced 20 new measures to combat antisemitism in the Labour Party

Propaganda and smears on anti-semitism that have been done to death won’t have any effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.