• McCain

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • Obama

Votes: 173 92.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
*runs into thread* Am i too late?

fat_lady_sings.jpg

Ha ha! A full 5-10 seconds of silence on the BBC coverage, six people just sitting around a table with nothing to say. The anchor, John Motson, really doesn't know what he's doing! :lol:

He sounds like it anyway! He's really old, starts sentences and doesn't bother finishing them, is alarmed when graphics flash up on the screen, and generally comes across as a man from the 1950s who's woken up in 2008 and been filmed by the BBC. Bizarre choice, don't know why Matt Frei didn't get the job, he's the regular anchor.

Isn't it 51 for control? I remember reading the number 60 in an article but forget why it's important.

Yeah the 60 refers to the number of Senate seats required for a supermajority. Otherwise the minority party (in this case the Republicans) could "filibuster" Democratic legislation.

Having 60 Democratic Senate seats would allow Obama much more flexibility to move forward with his policies with having to worry about Republican filibusters.

A good thing, in your opinion? People talk about how the Americans usually like power spread between the 2 parties, checks and balances and all that.

:lol: Christopher Hitchens is still railing about Palin on BBC America....saying that she believes in Witches.

A good thing, in your opinion? People talk about how the Americans usually like power spread between the 2 parties, checks and balances and all that.

Its a good thing if you support Obama since it will give him the ability to execute his agenda. If McCain were about to be elected and have a Republican congress then I'd say its a catastrophe. :)

In this case, I think the country will be better off for it.

Does anyone really do that? Filibuster I mean. Great scene in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington .

It does happen quite frequently since its usually the minority party's only vehicle to slow down or obstruct getting run over by the majority party's agenda.

Does anyone really do that? Filibuster I mean. Great scene in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington .
]
Strom Thurmond is the most famous example maybe. Read a dictionary for a day to stop a bill being passed. (It's been some years since I took US History, I might have that one wrong).

Wibble: Obama 396 McCain 142
Red Dreams: Obama 364 McCain 174
Raoul: Obama 364 McCain 174
Frosty: Obama 364 McCain 174
AlwaysRedwood: Obama 360 McCain 182
niMic: Obama 353 McCain 185
Surf: Obama 352 McCain 186
Rahul: Obama 350 McCain 188
CapeTownRed: Obama 344 McCain 194
Utdalltheway: Obama 343 McCain 195
Brad: Obama 341 McCain 197
Cali Red: Obama 340 McCain 198
SiYuan: Obama 338 McCain 200
Crappycraperson: Obama 335 McCain 203
Spinoza: Obama 333 McCain 205
Manufanatic: Obama 328 McCain 210
ooeat0meoo: Obama 328 McCain 210
Afrocentricity: Obama 320, McCain 218
Sincher: Obama 311 McCain 226
Plechazunga: Obama 306 McCain 232
RedKaos: Obama 300 McCain 238
DanH: Obama 300 McCain 238
DoctorEvil: Obama 291 McCain 247
Rednev: Obama 280 McCain 258
M160RA: Obama 280 McCain 258
WeWonItTwoTimes: Obama 269 McCain 269

Worth pointing our Obama is already ahead of the number 4 Cafites are giving McCain in total, and we're less than halfway through the called college votes

He sounds like it anyway! He's really old, starts sentences and doesn't bother finishing them, is alarmed when graphics flash up on the screen, and generally comes across as a man from the 1950s who's woken up in 2008 and been filmed by the BBC. Bizarre choice, don't know why Matt Frei didn't get the job, he's the regular anchor.

It is very apt comparison, it must be pretty hard to keep up though in fairness.

I've never heard of Matt Frei, it has always been Dimbleby hasn't it?