U.S. Presidential Race: Official Thread

Obama or McCain/Democrat or Republican..you decide

• McCain

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • Obama

Votes: 173 92.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm optimistic that the next one will be better. Even if my preferred candidate loses, it'll still be an improvement in my opinion. Provided his health holds up that is, because if it doesn't all bets are off.

I agree with that. McCain would be an improvement on Bush. But Palin - that shit is dangerous. feck knows what lunacy would go on with her at the helm. Its quite a frightening thought really. I hope swing voters in the US are thinking about that.

I agree with that. McCain would be an improvement on Bush. But Palin - that shit is dangerous. feck knows what lunacy would go on with her at the helm.
She would be an empty vessel through which the neocon wing of the party could implement their agenda. That's the rumor anyway.

Iraq was never about the reign of saddam. It was about the oil and establishing a military presence in the middle east. I'm no conspiracist, but those are the only reasons I can think of for our sustained presence in the country. When the losses got too high, we pulled out of korea because fighting the spread of communism wasn't sufficient motivation/justification to stayyet we remain in Iraq as the death toll increases daily into the thousands and most of the people seem to hate us for "liberating" them.

Sure it was about Saddam. It was also about the things you say. As far as sustained presence the US stays everywhere it's military goes for the most part. That's what McCain was talking about in his now famous "100 years in Iraq" (mis)quote. The reason the Korean war ended had nothing to do with motivation to end communism or military loses. It had much more to do with not wanting to take on China such a short time after WWII. And you watch too much MSNBC if you think "most" of the people hate us. I'll certainly grant you most want us to leave now but that would be true of any foreign army in a country. I spent a year in Korea while I was in the military. The old people that were alive during the Korean war loved us, the young people that knew nothing about it hated us.

She would be an empty vessel through which the neocon wing of the party could implement their agenda. That's the rumor anyway.

Chris, come on now buddy. Name one vp that has ever had any influence over an administration. Quayle maybe? :lol:

Sure it was about Saddam. It was also about the things you say. As far as sustained presence the US stays everywhere it's military goes for the most part. That's what McCain was talking about in his now famous "100 years in Iraq" (mis)quote. The reason the Korean war ended had nothing to do with motivation to end communism or military loses. It had much more to do with not wanting to take on China such a short time after WWII. And you watch too much MSNBC if you think "most" of the people hate us. I'll certainly grant you most want us to leave now but that would be true of any foreign army in a country. I spent a year in Korea while I was in the military. The old people that were alive during the Korean war loved us, the young people that knew nothing about it hated us.

If you do a bit of post 9/11 traveling you'd see that the U.S. has lost alot of credibility due to George Bush's attack first plan later cowboy diplomacy. The luster is gone and needs to be rebuilt. Obama will rebuild it. McCain would only exacerbate it.

Can Yank gimps answer a couple of questions for me please. Sorry if they're a bit stupid.

1. Why is Florida regarded as a 'Plan B' state for Obama? I realise that he can win without it, but given that in 2000 and other elections it's been both critical and close, I'd have thought it would be high on his priorities, and that given his national lead he'd be expecting to win it.

2. How come so many Americans are mature enough to vote in a non-partisan way when it comes to congressional posts? Over here, people will sometimes vote in a local election or by-election to punish the government, but usually tribal voters stick to party lines. Are US voters actually thinking in large numbers about balance of powers and legislative process? Or is it all still on personalities, only at the local level (i.e. a Montana Republican might still vote for a Dem senator because he's a well-known and trusted guy)?

3. Why does a country as advanced as the USA have such trouble guaranteeing elections free of voter fraud? Why can't a single system under independent auspices be rolled out across the whole country?

Can Yank gimps answer a couple of questions for me please. Sorry if they're a bit stupid.

1. Why is Florida regarded as a 'Plan B' state for Obama? I realise that he can win without it, but given that in 2000 and other elections it's been both critical and close, I'd have thought it would be high on his priorities, and that given his national lead he'd be expecting to win it.

2. How come so many Americans are mature enough to vote in a non-partisan way when it comes to congressional posts? Over here, people will sometimes vote in a local election or by-election to punish the government, but usually tribal voters stick to party lines. Are US voters actually thinking in large numbers about balance of powers and legislative process? Or is it all still on personalities, only at the local level (i.e. a Montana Republican might still vote for a Dem senator because he's a well-known and trusted guy)?

3. Why does a country as advanced as the USA have such trouble guaranteeing elections free of voter fraud? Why can't a single system under independent auspices be rolled out across the whole country?

1. Florida isn't a Plan B state for Obama. It may appear that it is given that several other former "Red" states are in play including Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Nevada, Ohio, etc, but the fact remains that Obama is spending a lot of money to win Florida. I think it will be a struggle for Obama to win Flordia despite the virtually deadlocked polls there because much of the state above the above Palm Beach county consists of southern hicks who will probably vote for McCain, and a good chunk of Dade county (Miami) will also vote for McCain because of the traditional anti-Castro positions the Republican party has embraced. Obama has however done the smart thing by diversifying his portfolio of states he can win. For example, he is looking good in Colorado, Nevada, and Virginia - all of which equal Florida's 27 electoral votes. Thus if he loses Florida, he could recoup the lost 27 elsewhere.

2. Voters in the states aren't necessarily intelligent, but over the past 20 years there has been a strange phenomenon where voters split on one party for Congress and another for the Presidency. Naturally this only causes gridlock but it seems the voters prefer it that way. The upcoming election appears to only one of few instances in recent memory where they will chose a President and Congress from the same party. Even if the Democrats don't get a 60 member supermajority in the Senate, there are still a sufficient number of liberal Republicans who could prevent the Senate Republican's from filibustering Obama's agenda.

3. This is a hard one to answer but in my estimation there will be more accusations of voter fraud as technology becomes more prevalent; specifically in the area of voter registration and later on in the area of internet voting. Candidates who lose by small margins will continue to use this as a reason to support their arguements for recounts etc.

Thanks Raoul.

I still don't get Florida, mind. It was too close to call in 2000. Eight years of Bush later, Obama's 4-8 points ahead nationally, and all the states that were within 3% are in the bag, except maybe Ohio (I'm assuming New Hampshire is basically blue now). It seems odd that New Mexico, Colorado, Virginia look like certs at this stage, even Nevada's a maybe, but Florida is split.

Have the demographics changed? Are there significantly more Hispanics now, maybe? I can imagine a fair few Jewish alter kakers, most of whom will have voted Gore, might be leaning McCain because of fears of Rev. Wright or just the 'Hussein'... but are there enough of them to be swinging it to McCain? Or is it just that Florida's one of the few places he's decided to spend on a par with Obama? That hasn't worked in PA yet...

If you do a bit of post 9/11 traveling you'd see that the U.S. has lost alot of credibility due to George Bush's attack first plan later cowboy diplomacy. The luster is gone and needs to be rebuilt. Obama will rebuild it. McCain would only exacerbate it.

I think the Iraq invasion is where those problems started. He went from the highest (or maybe second highest) approval ratings to the lowest. Had we stuck with Afghanistan and then done a bit of homework, IMO, things would have turned out differently. As far as Obama rebuilding international relationships, I think he'll do a better job than McCain would ever dream of. It's more his domestic policies that concern me.

I'm not aware that it's a plan B state but considering how much ground he's gained in other states I can see why he might not need to worry as much about Florida.

I think most voters tend to vote along party lines, which I think is insane. I was registered Republic for many years but there have been demos and indies I have voted for. I changed away from repubs because the party has become a circus and doesn't reflect most conservative or replublican members. I do think the well known/ trusted guy standard does apply too. That was won over so many voters toward Bush in his first run. He seemed like a common guy whose background wasn't perfect and polished like so many. Turns out there might be a reason for that. ;)

a country as advanced as the USA have such trouble guaranteeing elections free of voter fraud? Why can't a single system under independent auspices be rolled out across the whole country?

Excellent question and I wish there was a good answer. The problem is identification so often. On one hand you really want to make sure everyone gets a vote but on the other you want to make sure that everyone gets a vote. Not 2 or 3. I understand the need for and back the fundamentals of organizations that do that (yes, like ACORN). The problem is controling any fraud. So, who knows what we can do.

Democrats have proposed this in Congress, but it is opposed by Republicans. And any "independent" group would quickly be co-opted. As it stands now, each state controls what system it will use, and on top of that, each district creates it's own ballots, buys its machines, sets the rules, etc.

This means at the state level voting is controlled by some partisan hack. That is why you get allegations against both sides, they both are doing it.

For instance, right now in Florida early voting has begun. The state is controlled by a Republican governor, so he sets the rules. And not surprisingly, lines in poor urban areas are huge. It is taking some people three hours to vote. (Now imagine what election day will be like) For Republicans it is advantageous to suppress the vote in urban areas.

But we are currently in the middle of something that has never happened before. The Justice Department has been politicized and used by Republicans to aid in voter suppression. I expect to see a lot of trouble at the polls on Nov 4th, unless McCain is down by 15% or so - and that looks a definite possibility now.

You can read more about the insane shit going on and the problems with out election system at BradBlog.

I agree with that. McCain would be an improvement on Bush. But Palin - that shit is dangerous. feck knows what lunacy would go on with her at the helm. Its quite a frightening thought really. I hope swing voters in the US are thinking about that.

She could be impeached quite quickly and easily tbf, if she did go bat crazy while at the helm

National polls really mean feck all tbh, there is no doubt Obama has a comfortable lead in them though

Looks like the latest congressional approval polls are out. The congress gets an exemplary 12% approval and an outstanding 74% disapproval rating. I'm trying to figure out why Americans vote at all. Can we just go back to a monarchry? :nervous:

I have a question. Why are the debates only one on one? (I mean why isn't fx Nader invited?)

The other party candidate don't have high enough polling percents to get invited. I wish they would invitethe top 4 or 5. I suppose they are trying to get more comprehensive answers but in most debates no one really says anything of substance. It's mostly rehearsed and the candidates try and steer the answers to their talking points.

Chris, come on now buddy. Name one vp that has ever had any influence over an administration. Quayle maybe? :lol:
I know I'm reaching here, and this fellow is pretty obscure, but have you ever heard of......Dick Cheney? Seriously though, many VPs have been little more than window dressing, but Palin is patently unfit to hold the highest office in the land should it come to that. I'd say she is uniquely unqualified, historically speaking, not merely because she is the 2-year governor of a state with the population of Fort Worth, Texas, but because since being nominated as VP she has shown an absolute inability to speak coherently about a single issue of national or international policy. When interviewed, she has embarrassed herself, so much so that she the press is no longer allowed to ask her questions. She also still has fundamental misconceptions about what the job of VP even entails, two months after being nominated for the post. This is because she knows very little, and on top of that, she has the intellectual curiosity of your average houseplant. At least she dresses well.

But why are we even bothering to discuss this whole election nonsense? There's obviously no point, because as Governor Mrs. Palin pointed out today, it's all in God's hands.

This is fecking hilarious

Man on the street in "I'm don't really know the two candidates' positions on stem-cell research" shocker. They sent their guy to Harlem for, what, probably the whole afternoon, and those are the best clips they could come up with? I'm convinced now, black people are the real racists in this campaign. Thanks Howard.

Reagan was no spring chicken and he made it. ;)

What, so because one old bloke didnt die we dont need to consider it this time round? Astute.

She could be impeached quite quickly and easily tbf, if she did go bat crazy while at the helm

Makes a mockery of the vice presidential role. The Republicans are just a fecking joke through and through.

Man on the street in "I'm don't really know the two candidates' positions on stem-cell research" shocker. They sent their guy to Harlem for, what, probably the whole afternoon, and those are the best clips they could come up with? I'm convinced now, black people are the real racists in this campaign. Thanks Howard.

Don't take Alex seriously... he is digging for bones.

What, so because one old bloke didnt die we dont need to consider it this time round? Astute.

It was a joke. See the the little winking smiley. Lighten up prick. And if you want to be serious about it his age shouldn't matter. Voting for a guy just because he's younger is dumber than most of the other lame ass reason I've heard.

It was a true word said in jest, I think. You can hide behind smileys all you want, I will still regard your opinions as cretinous.

And just in case you are in the mood for a serious comment amid your near-constant stream of hillarity, I wouldnt regard his age as a factor, but for the fact that he has chosen a complete numpty as his running mate. Which, due to his age, (just in case you arent aware of it, old people are on average more likely to die than younger people) is a concern.

Looks like the latest congressional approval polls are out. The congress gets an exemplary 12% approval and an outstanding 74% disapproval rating. I'm trying to figure out why Americans vote at all. Can we just go back to a monarchry? :nervous:

Yet, despite the fact no one likes the congress, they will have about a 95% reelection rate. In my immediate area, there are four congressmen up for reelection. Two (one Democrat, one Republican) have token opposition--the party out of power didn't bother funding the candidate running against the incumbent. In another race, there is only an announced "write-in" candidate for the opposition, while in the fourth race, there is no opponent whatsoever. Apparently, everyone polled likes no one in Congress except their own representative.

my theory about the low Congress approval is that voters expected the Dem congress to make Bush a lame duck when they came in, in 2006. They dont understand much about veto powers and such imo....perhaps they even expected investigations and impeachments.

that may explain why...based on current polls...the Dems look like getting a sunami size win in not just the presidency but in both the senate and congress races.

my theory about the low Congress approval is that voters expected the Dem congress to make Bush a lame duck when they came in, in 2006. They dont understand much about veto powers and such imo....perhaps they even expected investigations and impeachments.

that may explain why...based on current polls...the Dems look like getting a sunami size win in not just the presidency but in both the senate and congress races.

The RNC is screwing up at every turn, having given VP candidate Palin over $150,000 for clothing expenses and then green-lighting a talking-point that attacks Barack Obama as an 'Elitist' is the highest order of astronomically hypocritical proportions... all at a time when the world markets are crashing, and predicted to be a very long recovery.

The GOP couldn't POSSIBLY be more out of touch.

The RNC is screwing up at every turn, having given VP candidate Palin over $150,000 for clothing expenses and then green-lighting a talking-point that attacks Barack Obama as an 'Elitist' is the highest order of astronomically hypocritical proportions... all at a time when the world markets are crashing, and predicted to be a very long recovery.

The GOP couldn't POSSIBLY be more out of touch.

you know...sometimes its just image....people look at Obama, they see a young good looking athletic guy who is cool....and McCain moves stuteringly.....weather it be his age or injuries....and he does seem to be a Mr. Wilson at times....

plus his policies and programs suck bigtime!