Tweets Only 2010/14 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's pretty close to Moyes, from what I can tell, so it's pretty likely we're still in for both Fellaini and Baines.

Article:

WAYNE ROONEY returned to first-team training with Manchester United yesterday and will play for England at Wembley on Wednesday with David Moyes’ blessing – scotching stories of a fallout between the pair.

Relations between Moyes and Rooney, it is understood, are cordial and the two have held regular meetings on Rooney’s future in the last fortnight. There remains a fundamental difference in their positions – Rooney still wants to join Chelsea, Moyes is vehemently against selling him – but the dialogue is allowing a working relationship to be maintained.

Despite reports Rooney was sent to train with United’s reserve players on Thursday and Friday as a punishment, it was the player himself who asked to work with the second string – because a shoulder problem meant he couldn’t do the contact work that would have been involved with first-team training.

Yesterday, Rooney was back with the first team and though he has not recovered from his injury sufficiently to be considered for duty in today’s Community Shield he is expected to play against Scotland on Wednesday, with Moyes encouraging Roy Hodgson to select him.

“I am pleased. I had a long conversation with Roy last week about it, told him Wayne’s situation,” said Moyes in an interview to be broadcast today on MUTV. “Wayne has had a shoulder injury, which has meant he has not been able to have any contact, and he has been sore with it, so he hasn’t trained with us he has trained a little bit with the reserves as a non-contact player, a floating player, but at least he got a little bit of football work.

“He trained with the first team today [Saturday] and he did a bit of extra work, so he is probably more likely to be ready for England than he will be for us. You’ve got to remember he is going to play for England and he has had no football practice, but I explained all this to Roy.”

Moyes added he did not expect Hodgson to use Rooney for a full 90 minutes and joked: “Hopefully, Wayne is not in too good form because it would be good if Scotland could get a result.”

Moyes hopes to be able to use Rooney in his first Premier League match as United manager, versus Swansea on Saturday, and subsequently to remotivate him in United’s cause. The latter seems a tall order, given Rooney’s entrenched desire for a fresh start away from Old Trafford.

Chelsea have offered £25m but their bid is regarded as risible by United – especially given the fees paid for strikers this summer such as £26m for Roberto Soldado (by Tottenham) and Liverpool’s £50m-plus valuation of Luis Suarez.

A further, much higher Chelsea bid is expected, but it may be lodged after United and Chelsea meet in the Premier League on August 26 because any sale would be politically impossible for United before then.

However, Moyes remains set against any consideration of a sale and is focused on pushing through moves for a star creative midfielder, having missed out on Cesc Fabregas, and for Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines.

Despite reports, Luka Modric is not believed to be among United’s current key targets. A double offer for Fellaini and Baines is likely but it may be in the region of £30m – about £10m less than Everton believe the pair are worth.

A £23.5m get-out clause in Fellaini’s contract elapsed on August 1 without any club willing to meet it. Meanwhile, United have signalled they are not inclined to improve on a £12m offer for Baines.

Roberto Martinez has emphasised to the England left-back that he is wanted at Goodison – though Baines would be attracted by the challenge of playing for United and stepping up to the Champions League.

Breaking News: Sky Sources understand Liverpool winger Stewart Downing is to have a medical at West Ham today after they agreed a fee for his services.
by skysportspeteo 11:02 AM

Andy Carroll and Stewart Downing off to West Ham in the same summer. Liverpool supporters must be extremely grateful to Big Sam.

Breaking News: Sky Sources understand Liverpool winger Stewart Downing is to have a medical at West Ham today after they agreed a fee for his services.

Andy Carroll and Stewart Downing off to West Ham in the same summer. Liverpool supporters must be extremely grateful to Big Sam.

Horrendous business from West Ham; I accept they fit better there than Liverpool, but still :rolleyes:

Horrendous business from West Ham; I accept they fit better there than Liverpool, but still :rolleyes:
Apparenty the fee is around £6m, it's a decent deal to be fair. Downing isn't a great player but £6m is nothing in this market and he'll do well there, he did well for Middlesbrough and Villa before. For a manager like Allardyce who prefers British physical style it's as good a signing as it gets actually, he won't look abroad for better players because he doesn't have enough knowledge and better British players are unavailable to him.

The past few weeks have been missing some muppetry.

We say that we hate it and can't wait until the window closes, but secretly we love it, because you can't help but wonder if something might actually happen. It's the hope that kills you.

Apparenty the fee is around £6m, it's a decent deal to be fair. Downing isn't a great player but £6m is nothing in this market and he'll do well there, he did well for Middlesbrough and Villa before. For a manager like Allardyce who prefers British physical style it's as good a signing as it gets actually, he won't look abroad for better players because he doesn't have enough knowledge and better British players are unavailable to him.

joking aside - 6 mil in today's market doesn't buy a decent kit man. all in all decent fee.

:lol: It would be hilarious if he chooses Wolfsburg over Arsenal, but maybe he just wants to stay in Germany.

Yeah, I accept Downing for £6 million is good/decent business all things considered - I meant more the total West Ham have paid for both Carroll and Downing, but I should've been clearer as to which part of Scorpy's post I was referring.

I'm sorry but the bolded part is nonsense. His Bolton team was full of random foreign players he'd signed for little or nothing and he took them into to Europe on more than one occasions. He had a few brilliant finds from abroad when he was at Bolton.

So his name was indeed in one of those envelopes as he suspected.

just the idea of this...when even madrid are baulking at the fees mentioned!

bollocks.
we know he is a fantastic player, maybe bit over rated but first and foremost there is no way we are forking out 45 mil plus for a winger as we have 9 players capable of playing well on the wing.

Second of all- i think Levy feels that with managerial changes at top 3 clubs he has a chance to get into the Champions league. No way will he sell to their direct rival.

I'm sorry but the bolded part is nonsense. His Bolton team was full of random foreign players he'd signed for little or nothing and he took them into to Europe on more than one occasions. He had a few brilliant finds from abroad when he was at Bolton.
He was spot on with players like Anelka, Campo or Okocha but it's not like it was going to take an extra ordinary amount of scouting to spot them. Perhaps I exaggerated with my assessment but nevertheless I stand by what I said, for someone who prefers British style Downing is a good buy.

He was spot on with players like Anelka, Campo or Okocha but it's not like it was going to take an extra ordinary amount of scouting to spot them. Perhaps I exaggerated with my assessment but nevertheless I stand by what I said, for someone who prefers British style Downing is a good buy.

Or Djorkaeff.

But surely the point is that Allardyce took a punt when nobody else would.

I still maintain that Djorkaeff is up there in the top 20 none United players that I've seen play in the flesh. He was an absolute pleasure to watch, even if it was at the Reebok. Almost a Zidane-like aura about him.

He was great, he joined Bolton at 34 or 35 didn't he? Still gave them some great performances. I remember him around 1997 or 1998 when I was collectint Panini stickers, he was one of the first players I got. Him and Deschamps.

To be honest, Downing at 6m is a good deal.

Yep, if you want somebody to just drive down the line and swing in a cross downing will be a good player.

With him and Jarvis on the wings Horseman will definitely get service that's for sure.

can somebody post the tweets from today from Bob Cass re: Rooney and Moyes?
I can't do it on my phone and have no access to a computer at the moment. They're quite interesting.

"JM is going to `fight to the death' to get him. Is that an illegal approach? Is longevity a feature in the Mourinho lineage?"

Absolutely and I have wondered why more wasn't made of this comment. I have said previously, it is a pity Mourinho doesn't share Wenger's manners.

Status
Not open for further replies.