Tweets Only 2010/14 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought if they have a release clause and a club matches it, they have to accept it? How did Liverpool reject this offer? Why are contracts so complicated to follow sometimes?

They aren't. It wasn't your archetypal release clause. IIRC, it was something on the lines of, it should be a minimum of 40mn GBP to get automatic permission to talk to Suarez directly. However, Liverpool reserves the right to accept or reject the offer.

I thought if they have a release clause and a club matches it, they have to accept it? How did Liverpool reject this offer? Why are contracts so complicated to follow sometimes?

As above, it's not a release clause. Depending on which account of things you choose to believe either one, or some combination of the following is true

A) Liverpool "have to consider" the offer - this is the most widely tweeted thing, but doesn't make a lot of sense because they're always just going to do that thing that older siblings do when WUMing younger ones by going "hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm no"
B) Liverpool have to inform Suarez that they received the bid
C) Arsenal can legally go and discuss terms with Suarez, but Liverpool don't have to accept the offer.

Can we please, please, please do the slightest bit of research before we posts tweets?

Known bullshitters shouldn't get the attention they crave.

Irrespective of whether the account was real or not - the Monaco link is being covered by a variety of web tabloids, who are probably copying and pasting from one source.

Thing is, while Arsenal are showing some ambition, they must have known Liverpool wouldn't sell to an English club for £40m, it will take at least £50m as well as Liverpool securing a quality replacement before they will consider selling to Arsenal. I also still don't understand Arsenal's interest given that Suarez apparently wants out of the country. I mean, I know it's must feel like you're on another fecking planet in Liverpool but still...

:eek: £50 million is clearly insane. Their current offer is on the brink

They key point is that he's a known fake! Why post it?

Well I'm sure not everyone is up to scratch on whose fake and whose not on Twatter, my policy is to never post a tweet on this forum because Twatter does my head in during the transfer window.

Anyway I'd be kind of sad to see Nani go without having a chance to play under Moyes. The thought of him and Zaha in the same side would've been interesting.

What is the point in a clause that allows talks, if Liverpool can still reject any bid?

They must have exploited the fact that Suarez is thick as pig shit and had some small print or something. The clause doesn't seem to do anything.

Think Saurez and Liverpool have different interpretations of the clause.

Saurez believes that he's now free to talk to Arsenal, Liverpool think it means they only have to inform him of interest/bid but don't have to accept.

If it's Liverpool's interpretation, I imagine Suarez didn't have a Sky Sports News subscription when he signed that deal.

If you call signing a 25yr old International footballer with 5 years of Premier League experience under his belt, and not to mention the past experience of working with our current manager, worthy of "cutting wrists" you seriously need to get a grip.

Saurez believes that he's now free to talk to Arsenal, Liverpool think it means they only have to inform him of interest/bid but don't have to accept.
Both are true i suppose as in he can agree terms but eventually Arsenal have to agree a fee with Liverpool.

Both are true i suppose as in he can agree terms but eventually Arsenal have to agree a fee with Liverpool.

Not really, Liverpool have to give him permission to talk to Arsenal. Well, legally that's how it should happen. I'm sure unofficial talks have gone ahead, hence why Arsenal know about that clause.

As it stands, Liverpool have refused the bid, refused to allow Saurez to talk to Arsenal, but have confirmed a bids been made.

I can't think that the bolded bit is true - because what would the point of the clause be then?

"Oh well Luis, you put a clause in that we must tell you when a club bid for you. Arsene Wenger did, but we said no. Carry on."

I can't think that the bolded bit is true - because what would the point of the clause be then?

"Oh well Luis, you put a clause in that we must tell you when a club bid for you. Arsene Wenger did, but we said no. Carry on."

May not be, but that's what's being reported on the BBC.

The way I understand things, isn't the purpose of the clause essentially so that Liverpool need to inform Suarez of any bids which come in for him whatsoever, pretty much alerting him to any potentially interested clubs. Further to that, if a bid reaches a certain pre-determined price, say £40 million, then the club who have bid automatically receive the right to speak to the player and/or his representatives - although Liverpool are under no obligation to accept the offer.

At this point, Suarez may then hold talks with the club and decide either that they can't offer what he wants, or that he is in favour of joining them. The next step may then be that Suarez hands in a transfer request in an attempt to force the move, or that the bidding club increase their offer on the back of positive talks with the player.

In this case, Arsenal can now talk to Suarez if they've met the price in order to be allowed to hold talks with him, and if those talks go well and they can agree upon the basis of a contract, then Arsenal will probably go back with some more money.

The clause does make some degree of sense. If Suarez really wants to go to Arsenal once talks have commenced he always has the option of doing what Fabregas did and foregoing some of his wages to force a move.

If Liverpool now tell him he can leave for £50m, but Arsenal's max offer is £40m, he can always forego £40k a week over 5 years to make up the difference.

Without detailed talks between club and player/agent structuring this kind of deal would be very difficult.

The clause does make some degree of sense. If Suarez really wants to go to Arsenal once talks have commenced he always has the option of doing what Fabregas did and foregoing some of his wages to force a move.

If Liverpool now tell him he can leave for £50m, but Arsenal's max offer is £40m, he can always forego £40k a week over 5 years to make up the difference.

Without detailed talks between club and player/agent structuring this kind of deal would be very difficult.

What?

Why should Liverpool give a shit about what Arsenal will pay him? That's not their concern

This release clause sounds alot like when Venky's said that Phil Jones' release clause meant he could speak to other clubs when it was met. But that a transfer fee could be negotiated higher. Funniest thing then was that despite Jones passing a medical, agreeing a deal to sign with United. Liverpool still put in a higher bid.

Status
Not open for further replies.