Tweets Only 2010/14 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excitement tempered only by the fact I've no clue who the feck Gary Chappell is

The article:

David Moyes insisted last night that any “ambitious, top end” player would want to join Manchester United with the Barclays Premier League champions prepared to spend up to £100 million to sign Gareth Bale and Cesc Fabregas this summer.
United are aware that they may have to smash their transfer record of £30.75 million twice in the coming weeks if they are to entice both of their leading targets to Old Trafford.
The new-found wealth of clubs such as Paris Saint Germain and Monaco, in France, and Manchester City and Chelsea has altered the financial landscape and provided greater competition for the best players, but Moyes said United were still a huge draw for the elite names.
“I think PSG and Monaco have changed the way it’s looked [at],” said the United manager, whose team face the A-League All Stars at the ANZ Stadium in Sydney today before flying to Japan tomorrow for the third leg of their pre-season tour of Asia and Australia.
“But I certainly think if you’re a player and you look out of the window and see Old Trafford — if you’ve really got any ambitions about being a footballer, and you’re a top end one — then I think you’ll want to play for Manchester United.”
Moyes is eager to make a high profile signing before United begin the defence of their Premier League crown away to Swansea City on August 17, but in the case of Bale, the Tottenham Hotspur forward, in particular, that seems unlikely.
Daniel Levy, the Tottenham chairman, is a notoriously tough negotiator and any move would likely go down to the wire, increasing the chances of failure. There is also the added complication of Bale’s price having been unofficially set at £85 million after Real Madrid’s public admission that they would stump up such a fee for the Welshman.
United signed Michael Carrick, the midfielder, and Dimitar Berbatov, the striker, from Spurs in 2006 and 2008 respectively – the latter for the aforementioned club record fee – but the negotiations for both players were protracted.
The pursuit of Fabregas, the Barcelona midfielder for whom United lodged a £26 million bid on Monday, is not without its complications either.
Moyes said yesterday that he was hoping for a breakthrough on Fabregas before the end of the week having identified the midfield as the main area in which his team requires strengthening.
United are thought to be getting close to agreeing personal terms for the Spaniard, but the main obstacle centres over Barcelona’s reluctance to allow the 26-year-old to depart in the same summer that they have already lost another highly-regarded midfielder, Thiago Alcantara, to Bayern Munich.
“Barca can ensure they will not entertain any offers for Cesc,” Josep Maria Bartomeu, a club vice president, said yesterday. “He is completely non-transferable.”
Ed Woodward, the United executive vice chairman, left Sydney on Wednesday in order to work on that deal and Bale. Marouane Fellaini, the Everton midfielder, is another option while Moyes also wants Leighton Baines, the Everton left back. Yohan Cabaye, the Newcastle United midfielder, is thought to be another fall back option.
“I couldn’t tell you exactly,” Moyes said when asked if there had been any formal contact with Barcelona over Fabregas. “I’m in contact with the chief exec who has been dealing with it just now.
“I may have a bit more information in the next day or so about how it’s going. Hopefully they’ll be some good news [on potential signings] in the not too distant future.
“When I got the job, I was made aware of what could possibly be done to improve things, and signing a midfield player was one that we thought we could possibly add to the squad. At the moment that’s probably our priority — to try and add a player in that position.
“I think the hardest players to get are the top goalscorers. I think it’s hard to get top quality players who can come in and affect your team. That’s why we’re trying to go for what we see as the right players and the best players.”
The pursuit of Fabregas and Bale could have a direct impact on Wayne Rooney’s future at Old Trafford, although Moyes reiterated yesterday that the club’s stance on the matter has not altered, despite Chelsea having a bid of around £20 million for the England striker rejected on Wednesday. “The club’s position hasn’t changed on Wayne Rooney,” he said.

I LL take it with a pinch of salt. The source alone - daily express - is already as unreliable as it gets. Moreover when the news is made up of "whispers".

Steve - That guy is following 3 times as many people that are following him (Less than 300) and has 1800 tweets. Is this guy real?

For what it's worth, Chappell is following all the fake 'ITK's and is followed by only one official account, Darren Campbell's. Fake.

Not exactly transfer news but I, for one, had no idea about this. (If it's even real.)
49bf05279aa00bb6fd4a34f7982bbc6f_large

Don't want to spoil the "lols" but things like that don't exactly help gay footballers coming out.

Shouldn't it be Barcelona accepting a higher bid, rather than us? They have been the ones constantly saying he is not for sale, never mentioning a set price for him.

Shouldn't it be Barcelona accepting a higher bid, rather than us? They have been the ones constantly saying he is not for sale, never mentioning a set price for him.

What do you mean sir? The tweet was that Barcelona have accepted the higher bid?

What do you mean sir? The tweet was that Barcelona have accepted the higher bid?

You know what, I haven't got the foggiest haha. After reading the tweet for the second time, the team names have swapped around.....

Basically I'm a 'tard and read it completely wrong, excuse my stupidity :D

Don't want to spoil the "lols" but things like that don't exactly help gay footballers coming out.

Who could blame them not coming out, the shit they'd get from dickead fans wouldnt be pretty. I'd say most players at a club would know a team-mate is gay though, its just kept within the club... I'd say most level-headed players wouldnt give a feck anyway. Young players would probably be different story though!

Who could blame them not coming out, the shit they'd get from dickead fans wouldnt be pretty. I'd say most players at a club would know a team-mate is gay though, its just kept within the club... I'd say most level-headed players wouldnt give a feck anyway. Young players would probably be different story though!

Well, it's the fact that in that tweet the person who is posting "I'm still gay" is using it in a derogatory way as if its bad to be gay and to be called it.

Well, it's the fact that in that tweet the person who is posting "I'm still gay" is using it in a derogatory way as if its bad to be gay and to be called it.

Yep, why people care about peoples sexuality baffles me.

Not really.

I'd post 'I'm straight' from a gay mates facebook the same as I would 'I'm gay' from a straight ones (although either one isn't funny and I usually manage to be more creative than that).

Not really.

I'd post 'I'm straight' from a gay mates facebook the same as I would 'I'm gay' from a straight ones (although either one isn't funny and I usually manage to be more creative than that).

Nah, Silent is right. It's not exactly derogatory, but the point of a facebook/twitter hack like that is that you write something embarrassing. The implication is that Szczesny would be embarrassed if everyone thought he was gay.

On its own, obviously, you'd have to be a right delicate flower to be offended. But it is indicative of the sort of light-hearted banter which nonetheless wouldn't exactly encourage a closeted gay player to come out to the dressing room. It's not about thinking that individuals are actually going to be homophobic to you, but about feeling that the culture sees being gay is something to be laughed at.

Status
Not open for further replies.