Trump/Russia/SDNY investigation

Clearly back on the sauce and narcotics. :(

Nah, I don't think so. Narcotics often open the mind, soul and heart. I think he's just a cnut. He's seen how well received being a cnut right wing Nazi is on Fox and he's running with it. He's spreading BS and misinformation and propaganda conspitlracy theories like never before.

And he's stopped dressing well too.

250px-Promo-donnie-fatso.jpg

Dissecting the Trump-Russia Dossier
President Trump calls it the “Fake Dirty Dossier.” We have been through every line of former MI6 agent Christopher Steele’s allegations to assess their accuracy

“The Dossier,” as everyone calls it, is talked about either as the key to what really happened in the 2016 presidential election, as likely ordered by Vladimir Putin; or it’s an artful but largely invented tapestry of libels and innuendo meant to discredit Donald Trump’s presidency. Most likely there is something in it of both. And in the shadowland of espionage it is even possible that parts of it were planted by Russian operatives to distract and discredit investigators trying to get to the bottom of the Kremlin’s skullduggery.

Every few weeks passages from The Dossier resurface like Delphic prophecies, full of promise, menace, and ambiguity. Most recently, federal investigators indicted twelve officers of Russia’s military intelligence agency, the GRU, for hacking U.S. computers associated with the Democratic Party and Hillary Clinton’s campaign, stealing documents and disseminating them with the intent of trying to sway the election. We’ve also heard former FBI director James Comey say it is “possible” Donald Trump paid prostitutes to urinate on the bed the Obamas had slept in at the Moscow Ritz Carlton, although Comey said he really didn’t know. And we heard from McClatchy that Trump’s consigliere, Michael Cohen, really did travel to the Czech Republic in 2016, despite his continued denials — but we don’t know whom he met there.

Meanwhile, what purports to be the full text of The Dossier is rarely scrutinized in its entirety, and even more rarely understood for what it is: a collection of raw and sometimes unreliable notes about intelligence gathered from secondary and tertiary sources and thrown together into one folder over the course of six months in 2016. The most commonly available version, published by Buzzfeed in January 2017, does not even present the memos in the order in which they were written.

Paid for by Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign and the Democratic Party, The Dossier was compiled by a highly respected former British intelligence officer, Christopher Steele, who was subcontracted by a more dubious American research firm, Fusion GPS. When it was published it was at first a source of prurient titillation, but more recently became the focus of ferocious contention and competing classified/unclassified memos in Congress. It is relevant to the work of federal investigators headed by former FBI Director Robert Mueller, who have sought to confirm or discredit every last detail, but they are pursuing many other avenues of inquiry as well.

Skeptics looking at Steele’s memos argue that they read a lot like a Russian disinformation campaign. Daniel Hoffman, a former CIA station chief in Moscow, has given three reasons to be wary of the contents of the dossier: that Steele himself never went to Russia to conduct his own investigation but relied on intermediaries of unknown trustworthiness; that Steele would have been under surveillance by the Russians, given his well-known tenure in MI6; and that the Kremlin may have known about his fact-finding efforts through the hacked DNC emails, given that the party was Steele’s paymaster.

Other respected intelligence analysts, such as Steven Hall, the CIA’s former station chief in Moscow and John Sipher, the former head of the Agency’s Russia program, are more inclined to believe in the veracity of Steele’s spadework. According to British journalist Luke Harding, Steele himself has told his friends that the dossier is “70 to 90 percent accurate.”

All of which suggests that some of the material is true, some not. But which?

Our goal is to provide an annotated version of The Dossier, verifying its allegations where we can and offering context that might make unverified allegations more — or less — plausible.

One of the difficulties in reading the original document — at least as published by Buzzfeed — is that once the memos are put in order, there are evident gaps in the sequence. For example, the first report is labeled as “080,” with no indication given as to where the original 79 antecedents might have gone. The second report is then labeled “086,” creating yet another mystery as to 81 through 85, and what content they might contain that would otherwise bolster or contextualize what came before or what follows. Moreover, Report “095” (undated by Steele) appears immediately before “094” (dated July 19, 2016) in the dossier, which makes no sense. As with Nixon’s White House tapes, the elisions in the text become more tantalizing than the text itself.

The result is an often disorganized mishmash of snapshots; a raw intelligence dump, using anonymous Russian sources, occurring in real-time as the international media began to uncover Russia’s attempted sabotage of U.S. democracy as well as Trump’s questionable personal and professional ties to friends of the Kremlin.

So, we’ve made our notes on the reordered dossier reports according to their file numbers and attempted to fit them into the relevant narrative of what was going on as they were written. What emerges is a complex but comprehensible story of gossip, intrigue, and spycraft.

https://codastory.com/disinformation-crisis/information-war/dissecting-the-trump-russia-dossier

Dissecting the Trump-Russia Dossier
President Trump calls it the “Fake Dirty Dossier.” We have been through every line of former MI6 agent Christopher Steele’s allegations to assess their accuracy

“The Dossier,” as everyone calls it, is talked about either as the key to what really happened in the 2016 presidential election, as likely ordered by Vladimir Putin; or it’s an artful but largely invented tapestry of libels and innuendo meant to discredit Donald Trump’s presidency. Most likely there is something in it of both. And in the shadowland of espionage it is even possible that parts of it were planted by Russian operatives to distract and discredit investigators trying to get to the bottom of the Kremlin’s skullduggery.

Every few weeks passages from The Dossier resurface like Delphic prophecies, full of promise, menace, and ambiguity. Most recently, federal investigators indicted twelve officers of Russia’s military intelligence agency, the GRU, for hacking U.S. computers associated with the Democratic Party and Hillary Clinton’s campaign, stealing documents and disseminating them with the intent of trying to sway the election. We’ve also heard former FBI director James Comey say it is “possible” Donald Trump paid prostitutes to urinate on the bed the Obamas had slept in at the Moscow Ritz Carlton, although Comey said he really didn’t know. And we heard from McClatchy that Trump’s consigliere, Michael Cohen, really did travel to the Czech Republic in 2016, despite his continued denials — but we don’t know whom he met there.

Meanwhile, what purports to be the full text of The Dossier is rarely scrutinized in its entirety, and even more rarely understood for what it is: a collection of raw and sometimes unreliable notes about intelligence gathered from secondary and tertiary sources and thrown together into one folder over the course of six months in 2016. The most commonly available version, published by Buzzfeed in January 2017, does not even present the memos in the order in which they were written.

Paid for by Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign and the Democratic Party, The Dossier was compiled by a highly respected former British intelligence officer, Christopher Steele, who was subcontracted by a more dubious American research firm, Fusion GPS. When it was published it was at first a source of prurient titillation, but more recently became the focus of ferocious contention and competing classified/unclassified memos in Congress. It is relevant to the work of federal investigators headed by former FBI Director Robert Mueller, who have sought to confirm or discredit every last detail, but they are pursuing many other avenues of inquiry as well.

Skeptics looking at Steele’s memos argue that they read a lot like a Russian disinformation campaign. Daniel Hoffman, a former CIA station chief in Moscow, has given three reasons to be wary of the contents of the dossier: that Steele himself never went to Russia to conduct his own investigation but relied on intermediaries of unknown trustworthiness; that Steele would have been under surveillance by the Russians, given his well-known tenure in MI6; and that the Kremlin may have known about his fact-finding efforts through the hacked DNC emails, given that the party was Steele’s paymaster.

Other respected intelligence analysts, such as Steven Hall, the CIA’s former station chief in Moscow and John Sipher, the former head of the Agency’s Russia program, are more inclined to believe in the veracity of Steele’s spadework. According to British journalist Luke Harding, Steele himself has told his friends that the dossier is “70 to 90 percent accurate.”

All of which suggests that some of the material is true, some not. But which?

Our goal is to provide an annotated version of The Dossier, verifying its allegations where we can and offering context that might make unverified allegations more — or less — plausible.

One of the difficulties in reading the original document — at least as published by Buzzfeed — is that once the memos are put in order, there are evident gaps in the sequence. For example, the first report is labeled as “080,” with no indication given as to where the original 79 antecedents might have gone. The second report is then labeled “086,” creating yet another mystery as to 81 through 85, and what content they might contain that would otherwise bolster or contextualize what came before or what follows. Moreover, Report “095” (undated by Steele) appears immediately before “094” (dated July 19, 2016) in the dossier, which makes no sense. As with Nixon’s White House tapes, the elisions in the text become more tantalizing than the text itself.

The result is an often disorganized mishmash of snapshots; a raw intelligence dump, using anonymous Russian sources, occurring in real-time as the international media began to uncover Russia’s attempted sabotage of U.S. democracy as well as Trump’s questionable personal and professional ties to friends of the Kremlin.

So, we’ve made our notes on the reordered dossier reports according to their file numbers and attempted to fit them into the relevant narrative of what was going on as they were written. What emerges is a complex but comprehensible story of gossip, intrigue, and spycraft.

https://codastory.com/disinformation-crisis/information-war/dissecting-the-trump-russia-dossier

I agree with Hall. The pee tape drama aside, other aspects of the dosier have already been proven correct and I suspect more will as well once Mueller's final report comes out.

I agree with Hall. The pee tape drama aside, other aspects of the dosier have already been proven correct and I suspect more will as well once Mueller's final report comes out.

Are you reading the full article? I’m up to memo 095, so far Steele’s reports seem less reliable when put in context than many have assumed.

Are you reading the full article? I’m up to memo 095, so far Steele’s reports seem less reliable when put in context than many have assumed.

I've read the dossier when it was released. Is what's in the article any different ?

I've read the dossier when it was released. Is what's in the article any different ?

It goes through every single memo one by one, puts them into context (i.e. describes what was going on at the time the particular memo was written), and tries to evaluate their reliability. Some interesting stuff in there.

Rudy continuing to really help things...

Rudi took down one NY Mobster already, he seems keen to do that again.

On a serious note I am at s complete loss trying to understand their strategy.

Rudy Giuliani's mother, 1988:
"He only became a Republican after he began to get all these jobs from them. He's definitely not a conservative Republican. He thinks he is, but he isn't. He still feels very sorry for the poor. "

Rudi took down one NY Mobster already, he seems keen to do that again.

On a serious note I am at s complete loss trying to understand their strategy.

I don't think the strategy is any more complicated than getting up in the morning and just making it up as they go along.

This should settle a few stomachs...

Not to detract from the absolute scumbaggery happening right now with regards to Rosenstein but I have something I've been meaning to post about for a while that I didn't before because I thought I was paranoid...and hopefully still am:

My son watches a lot of YouTube and for no reason I can think of (I control what he watches pretty strongly) - many times he goes to other videos he lands on Russian videos. Maybe there is just a ton of Russian kiddie content but I really don't understand why it keeps popping up for him. Similarly, my YouTube and Google newsfeeds keeping recommending some really obscure alt right and worse "news" sources - not just Fox News - often with videos and articles supporting Trump's rhetoric and antics. It's probably pretty clear to you guys I'm on the complete opposite side of this like most of you. Google seemed to have figured that out about me a long time ago until I guess it forgot.

Am I being extremely paranoid? I hope so. This has been happening for probably 4-6 mos with the latter of the two getting significantly worse even tho I keep disliking those videos and stories which normally an algorithm like Google s quickly adjusts for. Probably just paranoid, but just wanted to mention it-if only to see if anyone else experienced the same.

Really? It really doesn't. It seems fat more credible given the amount of witnesses there are corroborating it rather than discrediting it. I believe eye witnesses and the fact Trump himself has tried to discredit the report numerous times. That to me shows it's accuracy.

Not to detract from the absolute scumbaggery happening right now with regards to Rosenstein but I have something I've been meaning to post about for a while that I didn't before because I thought I was paranoid...and hopefully still am:

My son watches a lot of YouTube and for no reason I can think of (I control what he watches pretty strongly) - many times he goes to other videos he lands on Russian videos. Maybe there is just a ton of Russian kiddie content but I really don't understand why it keeps popping up for him. Similarly, my YouTube and Google newsfeeds keeping recommending some really obscure alt right and worse "news" sources - not just Fox News - often with videos and articles supporting Trump's rhetoric and antics. It's probably pretty clear to you guys I'm on the complete opposite side of this like most of you. Google seemed to have figured that out about me a long time ago until I guess it forgot.

Am I being extremely paranoid? I hope so. This has been happening for probably 4-6 mos with the latter of the two getting significantly worse even tho I keep disliking those videos and stories which normally an algorithm like Google s quickly adjusts for. Probably just paranoid, but just wanted to mention it-if only to see if anyone else experienced the same.
Not to worry you but I've experienced the same thing.

My 2 year old always ends up on kids videos with Cyrillic descriptions (I'm not saying the videos are bad or evil), my YouTube sidebar recommendations usually seem to have extreme rightwing political/religious links yet I never ever watch extreme rightwing stuff.