Trump/Russia/SDNY investigation

Is this a more common practice than most people realize? I wonder what else is currently buried only to be released later.

Its definitely not a common practice. In the enquirer's case, it was done specifically to kill stories that would hurt Trump's public image.

Its definitely not a common practice. In the enquirer's case, it was done specifically to kill stories that would hurt Trump's public image.
I can't remember where buy I'm confident I heard a newspaper killing a story on behalf of a candidate is a campaign violation.

I can't remember where buy I'm confident I heard a newspaper killing a story on behalf of a candidate is a campaign violation.

If the money used to kill the story is from the campaign then that may be the actual violation, not the killing of the story itself.

Isn't the payment made considered a contribution since it benefits the candidate. If it was a Dem candidate the hearings would be 24/7.

Is it possible that Trump misspoke again when he hired Giulini - and the latter thinks his job is to put Trump away rather than defend him?

Isn't the payment made considered a contribution since it benefits the candidate. If it was a Dem candidate the hearings would be 24/7.
Correct, it's supposed to be disclosed because it is essentially a campaign donation. And given the sums involved, it would exceed the limits on donations and therefore be a campaign finance violation.

It's meant specifically to prevent the quid pro quo stuff that Trump has built his presidency on. Drain the swamp!

Is this a more common practice than most people realize? I wonder what else is currently buried only to be released later.

It's very common practice in the UK. Quite often the press build people up to be me a stars before exposing stuff they have on them in exclusives that can run for up to a month or more. It also becomes apparent that they have sat on much of the material for months and even years in some cases whole they try to find more. Its also apparent they are sitting on stuff while they were actively promoting these people as hero's or role models etc.

The two most obvious examples are the hit jobs the Sunday papers did on Beckham and Gordon Ramsey. Admittedly it's all tabloid journalism and it's shit awful, but they have been doing it for years.

Lost in today's nonsense was a story that Avenatti and Cohen ran into one another at a NY restaurant and wound up having a long chat. A reporter asked Avenatti (who has oddly stopped criticizing Cohen recently) whether he would represent him. Avenatti dodged.

Lost in today's nonsense was a story that Avenatti and Cohen ran into one another at a NY restaurant and wound up having a long chat. A reporter asked Avenatti (who has oddly stopped criticizing Cohen recently) whether he would represent him. Avenatti dodged.

“Ran into each other”.

I’d say that’s a good indicator that Cohen is ready to flip. He’s reached out to Avenatti and they’ve agreed it’s no longer in either of their interests for Avenatti to paint Cohen in a bad light anymore as it’ll essentially be doing Trump’s work of discrediting a key witness.

If the money used to kill the story is from the campaign then that may be the actual violation, not the killing of the story itself.
You're making the same mistake as Trump and Guiliani in believing that campaign finance violations must involve monies from the campaign itself.

Buying silence to protect the candidates reputation (either directly or by spiking a story to prevent another outlet running it) is an in-kind contribution and must be reported as such.

For boring people who like reading statutes see Section 30101(8)(A) from the GPO (bottom of page 2).

As much as Rudy G is an idiot. I wonder if trump himself went over them and leaked this just to distract from Russia news and also to try and paint Cohen as untrustworthy . It definitely was leaked by his side but I'm convinced he blindsided his entire legal team to get the Russia news off the air. Most journalists have caught on to this to be fair.

As much as Rudy G is an idiot. I wonder if trump himself went over them and leaked this just to distract from Russia news and also to try and paint Cohen as untrustworthy . It definitely was leaked by his side but I'm convinced he blindsided his entire legal team to get the Russia news off the air. Most journalists have caught on to this to be fair.

It’s got the same feel as the single page Trump tax return from a favourable year last year than MSNBC picked up.

It’s one of those “look this is as bad as it gets” kinda things.

Spoiler: It’s not.

It’s got the same feel as the single page Trump tax return from a favourable year last year than MSNBC picked up.

It’s one of those “look this is as bad as it gets” kinda things.

Spoiler: It’s not.
:lol: exactly

Been reading the reaction to this on Twitter, and it’s incredible how both sides of the debate seem to believe that the info just released completely vindicates their position. Wish people were a bit more humble.

alfdebate.png