Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2024/25

I can see him wanting to keep McT for the role he played last season. Aerial presence and his ability to add dynamism to our attack.

Swapping Ugarte for him means we lose those two things: makes perfect sense for 10Hag to want to keep McT in addition to Ugarte.

Yep. Scott played 43 times and scored 10 goals last season. The only reason he was sold, where Eriksen who contributed less wasn't, is because he was a sellable asset.

The manager said he'd like to keep him in the squad but PSR was forcing clubs to sell academy players.

In another room on another day he wasn't sure if Ugarte wasn't the CDM we needed. I like Ugarte from the limited clips I've seen but he's got his critics.

He'll push Casemiro more further if we are chasing a game, as uncle Miro can help upfront. The part reason we were not able to keep MCTominay are ridiculous amounts of money spent on Antony and Mount.

Yep. Scott played 43 times and scored 10 goals last season. The only reason he was sold, where Eriksen who contributed less wasn't, is because he was a sellable asset.

The manager said he'd like to keep him in the squad but PSR was forcing clubs to sell academy players.

In another room on another day he wasn't sure if Ugarte wasn't the CDM we needed. I like Ugarte from the limited clips I've seen but he's got his critics.
Ugarte alone doesn‘t fix all our midfield issues, we need Eriksen replaced.

No official confirmation of Sancho moving?
No, I've mentioned it on the Chelsea season thread but no-one else seems to think it an issue.

Seems strange to me that all the other late night deals have been confirmed by both clubs, yet no word from either about Sancho.

With all the reporters claiming it went through, my gut feeling is that it's still awaiting official PL ratification (which is the slight worry) but that it's thought everything went through - but clubs always wait for 100% confirmation, whereas reporters all looking to beat each other to the news.

For me it's not fully confirmed until the clubs do so.

A shame we couldn't convince Sesko to join. Btw, that Muppetiers tweet that people were shitting on for credibility was 100% right before anyone else mentioned anything about ETH being unhappy with McTominay sale and unconvinced by Ugarte.

Carrick's successor

Roy Keane’s
I find both of these comments odd. From the little I've seen and what I've read of Ugarte, he sounds nothing like Carrick or Keane. It's very simplistic to look at Keane as midfield destroyer just because he was all action and liked a tackle. He was a lot more than that. Carrick was literally a deep lying playmaker, which doesn't sound anything like Ugarte?

I find both of these comments odd. From the little I've seen and what I've read of Ugarte, he sounds nothing like Carrick or Keane. It's very simplistic to look at Keane as midfield destroyer just because he was all action and liked a tackle. He was a lot more than that. Carrick was literally a deep lying playmaker, which doesn't sound anything like Ugarte?
My original comment was because he's the new number 16 and his first name started with M. I was referring to the M16 part of the tweet. I don't actually think he plays anything like Carrick

Rumours of Anderlecht interest to sign Eriksen. Probably 2-3m fee?

Exactly. Keane was a complete all-rounder and Carrick was a playmaker. Ugarte is a pure destroyer, a type of midfielder we haven't really seen often at United. Fergie considered such midfielders too limited.

Schneiderlin is probably the only other comparable United midfielder who springs to mind. Ugarte has a much better engine than him though.

A shame we couldn't convince Sesko to join. Btw, that Muppetiers tweet that people were shitting on for credibility was 100% right before anyone else mentioned anything about ETH being unhappy with McTominay sale and unconvinced by Ugarte.

The report doesn't say ETH was unconvinced, in fact it says the opposite. It says he was initially a Wilcox etc... pick, they showed ETH videos and stat reports and he was then impressed by his ball winning capabilities and thus "convinced".

On the Sesko front he sounds very much like a long term project of ours. If this season goes to plan and next summer is about adding elite quality for a CL campaign I'd expect us to go back and go big for him, provided he continues to develop as expected.

Last edited:
Exactly. Keane was a complete all-rounder and Carrick was a playmaker. Ugarte is a pure destroyer, a type of midfielder we haven't really seen often at United. Fergie considered such midfielders too limited.

Schneiderlin is probably the only other comparable United midfielder who springs to mind. Ugarte has a much better engine than him though.

Nicky Butt was a good servant and mainly a destroyer. Basically started as much as Scholes in the Treble season. Other than that I can't think of many.

Nicky Butt was a good servant and mainly a destroyer. Basically started as much as Scholes in the Treble season. Other than that I can't think of many.
Djemba Djemba and Alan Smith? Hargreaves was mostly a destroyer when he was in midfield too.

Butt had really good technique, I'd put him in the all-rounder category too.

It's name doesn't help. "Muppetiers." Very easy to sneer at though its very clear he has genuine sources at this point.

Djemba Djemba and Alan Smith? Hargreaves was mostly a destroyer when he was in midfield too.

Butt had really good technique, I'd put him in the all-rounder category too.

If Butt is an all-rounder Hargreaves needs to be as well as he also had more to his game and was deployed on the right at times. Djemba x2 is a good shout. Park is another workhorse player but not a DM. Fletcher was more of a destroyer before developing further.

Either way I agree we haven't had a lot of pure destroyers.

Everyone used to be a destroyer at United. Schmeichel, Bruce, Pallister, Keane, Ince, Cantona, Hughes. Even Giggs didnt mind a scrap. I miss the days when you can into English football and rule number one was to eliminate your opponent in individual battles before we start playing.

Nobody cares about Alan Smith :(

Everyone used to be a destroyer at United. Schmeichel, Bruce, Pallister, Keane, Ince, Cantona, Hughes. Even Giggs didnt mind a scrap. I miss the days when you can into English football and rule number one was to eliminate your opponent in individual battles before we start playing.
I think the polite way to say it is "earning the right to play."

Only Rabiot comes to mind
After the news about his crisis of confidence because MUTV mildly questioned him signing 2 years ago, and then having to deal with his mum as well, I think it’s best we stay well away tbh

Nobody cares about Alan Smith :(
I care.

That match against Chelsea in 2005 a few days after Keane left was a classic.
We beat them 1-0 from a Fletcher header and Smith put on one of my all time favorite performances from a United player.

I never seen anyone else before or since make 3 sliding tackles in the space of 2 seconds, as well as kicking John Terry in the bollocks.

To be fair, he would’ve been sent off, multiple times if he played like this in today’s football, unfortunately.

Loved Alan Smith

I would accept EtH reluctance about selling McTominay but the story that he didn't want Ugarte is obviously bogus one, because now we a have an actual football structure that is doing what its normally supposed to do, which is identify targets and convince the manager why the club should sign said player, EtH has no reason to not want Ugarte but it's fair to say that he might've needed convincing which is normal, Klopp needed convincing about signing Salah, he wanted Brandt but the club signed Salah instead.

All this is not to say Ugarte is guaranteed success or anything like that, but the idea here is that football structure above EtH is doing what it supposed to do, and EtH is part of that structure, that collaborates and works together in tandem.

Are there any other free agents of similar profile? We would need a good all-rounder for central midfield

I think INEOS would regard him as a stop gap and, seeing thier work in the recent transfer window, I don't think they're going to go down that route anytime soon.
INEOS have clearly set out a age bracket for their signings.