Transfer Tweets - 2018/19 | Remember if posting foreign language tweets to post in English too

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Mata wants to stay and he accepts being a part-time player - of course we keep him. Realistically we will off-load 4-5 players in the summer, it will be good to keep some of our players. Regardless of what people think - we cant ditch 10 players at the same time.

If we really wanted to go for it we could offload Jones, Rojo, Young, Valencia, Lukaku, Sanchez, Mata, Fellaini, McTominay, Smalling, Fred, Darmian

That's 12 we could easily upgrade. I say easily the cost would be massive and also you can't have 22 world class stars.

From the above...Young is worthy of being backup for another year. Smalling is a great backup. Darmian is actually a pretty agile backup for the price and reasonably capable. Lukaku could still be very useful if we get a RW and frankly it might be hard to sell for enough to make an upgrade worth it.

McTominay might have something in training so might deserve benefit of the doubt. Fred is still new and relatively untested.

So yes you can make a case to keep half, but even then of that 12 how many would you rely on to give you more than a 6/10. A few there might give you the odd 7. I'm not sure any of them you would expect many 8+ performances. Frankly that is a lot of average and we should be looking for a bench that gives you about a 7/10 with one or two 8s.

I actually see Mata slotting well in Juve and Barca.
Darmian should be kept if the money is not met. It's peanuts and for that much he would be great back up option.
We should look to sell Jones and Rojo. And one of Valencia and Young. Preferably Valencia and get a strong upgrade on him. Keep Young and Shaw rotated.
And Fellaini too.
Jones, Rojo, Fellaini, Valencia. Sell TFM as wella. Let Mata go. Loan McTomminay and get CB, RW, RB and DLM. From selling those 5 we could easily accumulate 60. 20 for Jones, 15 for Rojo, 20 for Fellaini, 10 for Valencia and 3 for TFM.

I don't understand some of you on here.

Do you expect every squad member to be a world class player?

How much do you think it is going to cost to replace him with another squad player of the same level?

Do you not think by spending money on his replacement it will reduce our available budget for other reinforcements?

Mata is a model professional who can add value to our squad, even as an option from the bench.

There is a lot of deadwood in our team which I agree we should get rid of, but I wouldn't be against the likes of Mata getting another 1/2 year contract.

How much do you think it is going to cost to replace him with another squad player of the same level?

Do you not think by spending money on his replacement it will reduce our available budget for other reinforcements?

Mata is a model professional who can add value to our squad, even as an option from the bench.

There is a lot of deadwood in our team which I agree we should get rid of, but I wouldn't be against the likes of Mata getting another 1/2 year contract.

Agreed. He never complains, loves the club and he can give us another option off the bench

Nobody wants Mata to leave and just be replaced with another squad player of his level. The argument is that we badly need an upgrade on our right wing and letting Mata go would free up both a space in a bloated squad and a decent amount of wages.

Ideally it would Sanchez that leaves because his wage is even more disproportionate to his contribution than Mata's but that would require us finding a buyer for Sanchez, which will obviously not be easy.

This guy looks a like for like replacement for Herrera, he's very tenacious and aggressive in winning the ball back, very composed on the ball which gets him out of tights spots or being pressed and he looks quite creative going forward too. The problem we have is that we have a £52m midfielder on the bench who's also in the same mould and we have Perreira who's an academy graduate who's also the same kind of player, albeit not as good defensively. Neither are getting regular game time as our current midfield is playing brilliantly.

This summer is going to be interesting in who we sell, loan out and who we sign. Hopefully we make the right decisions as CM isn't a pressing issue but Matic does need replacing.

This guy looks a like for like replacement for Herrera, he's very tenacious and aggressive in winning the ball back, very composed on the ball which gets him out of tights spots or being pressed and he looks quite creative going forward too. The problem we have is that we have a £52m midfielder on the bench who's also in the same mould and we have Perreira who's an academy graduate who's also the same kind of player, albeit not as good defensively. Neither are getting regular game time as our current midfield is playing brilliantly.

This summer is going to be interesting in who we sell, loan out and who we sign. Hopefully we make the right decisions as CM isn't a pressing issue but Matic does need replacing.

I think Herrera is more of a destroyer midfielder than winning balls, I mean he has more interception than anyone in United sides and is one of the best players in Europe at interception under Ole. If anything, Ballera will replace Matic so Herrera can move to DM where he is easily best at it and Barella as a ball winner with Pogba focusing on playmakers, I think that is decent midfield that can adapt any from counter-attacking to possession based to fast buildup.

We don't?
Based on bold part: I did say more, does not mean United dont or didnt take any risks. In recent years, the club or at least Ed tried the Galacticos route, and more failures than successes really.

I think and hope it soon will change or is currently changing under Ole. I know some are far from ready but at least more minutes are given to the youngsters rather than Mata while a good player, doesnt seem quite fit in IMHO.

If we really wanted to go for it we could offload Jones, Rojo, Young, Valencia, Lukaku, Sanchez, Mata, Fellaini, McTominay, Smalling, Fred, Darmian

That's 12 we could easily upgrade. I say easily the cost would be massive and also you can't have 22 world class stars.

From the above...Young is worthy of being backup for another year. Smalling is a great backup. Darmian is actually a pretty agile backup for the price and reasonably capable. Lukaku could still be very useful if we get a RW and frankly it might be hard to sell for enough to make an upgrade worth it.

McTominay might have something in training so might deserve benefit of the doubt. Fred is still new and relatively untested.

So yes you can make a case to keep half, but even then of that 12 how many would you rely on to give you more than a 6/10. A few there might give you the odd 7. I'm not sure any of them you would expect many 8+ performances. Frankly that is a lot of average and we should be looking for a bench that gives you about a 7/10 with one or two 8s.
So you want to offload 3 centre backs and leave us with ONE who is still finding his feet (not to mention that thing on his shoulders that’s meant to head the ball)
Great thinking Batman

I think Herrera is more of a destroyer midfielder than winning balls, I mean he has more interception than anyone in United sides and is one of the best players in Europe at interception under Ole. If anything, Ballera will replace Matic so Herrera can move to DM where he is easily best at it and Barella as a ball winner with Pogba focusing on playmakers, I think that is decent midfield that can adapt any from counter-attacking to possession based to fast buildup.
I agree but looking at some videos on Barella (I know not the best gauge to base players on) he seems like he can be a destroyer too. As you mention he could be a great replacement for Matic but can also replace Herrera in his role if need be. The sticking point are that we have a vast choice of CMs with bright young CMs coming through also.

So you want to offload 3 centre backs and leave us with ONE who is still finding his feet (not to mention that thing on his shoulders that’s meant to head the ball)
Great thinking Batman

Did you literally read just the first paragraph and the stop.....

In the second paragraph I talked about easily upgrading. Then went on to say various of those could be justified to stay, I.e. cant upgrade 12 at once. The point is still we have plenty of average players that aren't good enough and it's not even a case of there being much risk replacing them. I'd expect most signings to do better.

Did you literally read just the first paragraph and the stop.....

In the second paragraph I talked about easily upgrading. Then went on to say various of those could be justified to stay, I.e. cant upgrade 12 at once. The point is still we have plenty of average players that aren't good enough and it's not even a case of there being much risk replacing them. I'd expect most signings to do better.

I kinda did because I thought it was too mad to continue reading and it might be contagious

We have a squad player to replace him. He's called Lingard.

We should buy a starter who actually has a big impact from the right side. Or if we have to keep the "inside player" that we've been playing since Sir Alex left (and with it our success) then someone who creates more than Mata and Lingard.

We should buy a starter who actually has a big impact from the right side. Or if we have to keep the "inside player" that we've been playing since Sir Alex left (and with it our success) then someone who creates more than Mata and Lingard.
Exactly. Tap in of an answer. Well worked. Well done.

Mata, like Lingard, can play in a central position too, not just out wide.

It is Sanchez that needs to leave really as he is not on a salary befitting a squad player, nor is he performing like a key player.

Mata and Lingard provide a good amount of squad depth IMO.

This

Mata, like Lingard, can play in a central position too, not just out wide.

It is Sanchez that needs to leave really as he is not on a salary befitting a squad player, nor is he performing like a key player.

Mata and Lingard provide a good amount of squad depth IMO.

Again, there are much better players for that position.

Sanchez has every chance of doing a better job than both Mata and Lingard under Ole.

Again, there are much better players for that position.

Sanchez has every chance of doing a better job than both Mata and Lingard under Ole.

Apart from Pogba, who is better than them in the central number 10 type role in our squad?

Apart from Pogba, who is better than them in the central number 10 type role in our squad?

?

Why would it need to be someone from our squad?

If we want to buy a better right wing / AM than Lingard and Mata then one needs to leave.

Apart from Dalot who is a better right back in our squad than Ashley Young? But still I'd rather we got rid of him and had a better one.

?

Why would it need to be someone from our squad?

If we want to buy a better right wing / AM than Lingard and Mata then one needs to leave.

Apart from Dalot who is a better right back in our squad than Ashley Young? But still I'd rather we got rid of him and had a better one.

I'm not sure if you saw my first post on the matter, but essentially I raised the question of how much it would cost to replace a squad player like Mata in today's market? £30 million?

Is it really worth it? Won't this impact our budget for other first team players?

This is the reason I believe that Sanchez needs to leave before the likes of Mata and/or Lingard. He has been here and year and is simply not performing. I don't think he can really have any excuses for his performances either.

He is on a huge salary and was purcahsed to be a first team player. The likes of Mata and Lingard have mainly had to play simply because Sanchez wasn't available or performing well.

Do you think if we replaced Sanchez with a better player, the likes of Mata would still get as much gametime? I personally don't. And that's where the problem is.

It makes more commercial sense to keep someone like Mata for another year or so in my opinion.

I'm not sure if you saw my first post on the matter, but essentially I raised the question of how much it would cost to replace a squad player like Mata in today's market? £30 million?

Is it really worth it? Won't this impact our budget for other first team players?

This is the reason I believe that Sanchez needs to leave before the likes of Mata and/or Lingard. He has been here and year and is simply not performing. I don't think he can really have any excuses for his performances either.

He is on a huge salary and was purcahsed to be a first team player. The likes of Mata and Lingard have mainly had to play simply because Sanchez wasn't available.

Do you think if we replaced Sanchez with a better player, the likes of Mata would still get as much gametime? I personally don't. And that's where the problem is.

It makes more commercial sense to keep someone like Mata for another year or so in my opinion.

Yes its worth it. We have a striker, we have a left winger, we have Pogba joining from the tip of midfield but... We have no right wing. We have a "RW" who ends up in central midfield, either Mata or Lingard and they produce less than central midfielders or right wingers do. They are easily the weakest part of our attack and it makes us much easier to defend against when all our threat comes down the left. So all of our attack will be better for having another threat towards the right, or at worst a more productive and creative central player than Mata or Lingard. We've needed this for years.

Rashford's run on the right side was actually our only right winger who played on the right wing since Sir Alex retired. Since then we've had Mata and Lingard coming centrally with the idea that Valencia will get forward and become the right winger. Well he's been poor going forward and now barely plays and how much will it cost to sign a rightback who essentially plays 2 positions, both the right back and then becoming a right winger when we have the ball? And is that even worth it? We havent won the league since Sir Alex left which is also when we started playing an inside right. We're using a Moyes tactic still.

So the answer is, it'll be just as much money to sign a top rightback who can Dani Alves on the right side if there even is one and even if we did that, its probably less effective than having an actual right sided player. If it was some genius tactic we'd probably have been doing much better since Sir Alex left than we are. Instead we've fallen off a great deal

Why would Barca want to swap a youngster they just bought for 40m for a player they could sign for free.

I’d wish him the best of luck if they offer him a better deal. Top bloke.

Yeah, still great squad option. Plus he automatically gives us the moral high ground over everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.