Transfer Tweets - 2018/19 | Remember if posting foreign language tweets to post in English too

Status
Not open for further replies.
who said he wanted five players, in winter after buying Alexis he said we need two more players in summer, 3 if Afro man leaves.
Didn't he say something about five players recently?

Here you go :

"I would like two more players. I don't think I'm going to have two," he said. "I think it's possible I'm going to have one.

"I gave my club a list of five names a few months ago. I wait to see if it's possible to have one of these players."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/44995530

Without sounding thick, what's the urgency about needing full backs. I know they are getting older but one played in the semi final of the WC and the other was considered consistently one of the best in the league last year. I know they don't get forward much but that's more about Jose than about their ability to. Don't get me wrong, you can always get upgrades in pretty much most positions on the pitch par DDG, but not sure why full backs are seen as a necessity. Tbh defence wasnt the reason we lost games last season, I'd say it was further up the pitch.....
You're right about the problem being the attack. However left back is definitely an issue. Playing in the world cup or reaching the semis of the WC doesn't make you good enough for what should be a top Manchester United team. And Ashley Young is simply not good enough to be a genuine and accomplished starter at younger apart from his 2-3 months patches interspersed throughout his career.

Also it has to be said that an attacking fullback can play a crucial part in a team's potency in attack. Think Evra, think Marcelo, think Alves. And even if that's too far a reach, think Kyle Walker.

Left back and right wing are key areas for me. I thought one was solved by signing Sanchez and the other would be solved by Luke Shaw. But given none of those worked out I do think these areas have to be filled. Left back can still be filled in but given right wing has been an issue for years that's the prime problem are IMO. Sadly the manager doesnt seem to agree.

If Toby has the impact people on here are hoping for I'll be pleasantly surprised, I don't think any CB would have, even my beloved Maguire. Without further improvements further forward, we're going to have the same failings next season.

He can fly to Manchester how many times he wants, but still not changing anything. Pogba has a contract to 2021 and he should respect it if we are not interested in selling. The club made a huge investment in him, he should man up and meet the expectation.

That's not how football works nor is it how many other things work. Contracts are broken, marriages are ended...managers leave etc...If the club brought in the player and put him with a manager who's on record as being not really suited to dealing with anyone besides yes-man 'soldiers' (only for a short time at that)...and who cannot coax anywhere near the best out of him, while poisoning the well of good will with petty public slating...nah it's over. If it's a loveless marriage and one party wants out, buh bye.

Here you go :

"I would like two more players. I don't think I'm going to have two," he said. "I think it's possible I'm going to have one.

"I gave my club a list of five names a few months ago. I wait to see if it's possible to have one of these players."

I guess it's whether he wanted 5 or whether it's a list of 5 as its different. Could be a list of 5 CB's? Could be a list of plan A,B or C's?

Here you go :

That’s out of context - the full quote is actually in relation to the one player he thinks he will get. He said “on the one, I gave my club a list of five names....”

I guess it's whether he wanted 5 or whether it's a list of 5 as its different. Could be a list of 5 CB's? Could be a list of plan A,B or C's?
If the list was all CBS why would be be moaning so much? And why would he be talking about “two”? He meant 5 different positions.

If the list was all CBS why would be be moaning so much? And why would he be talking about “two”? He meant 5 different positions.

Was only using that as an example to say could be the same position just with a list of alternatives.

He gave them a list of five names for one position. The full quote, in context, makes that clear.

This would also make him complaining more understandable. As in, I gave you five players to choose from and you're telling me you couldn't even get one of them?

He gave them a list of five names for one position. The full quote, in context, makes that clear.

This would also make him complaining more understandable. As in, I gave you five players to choose from and you're telling me you couldn't even get one of them?

Would love to see that list

He gave them names of cricket players so our transfer window would be sabotaged and he would have an excuse for the coming season.

Then why is he saying he wanted two but he will get only one when he has already bought two?
Even if he was talking about a 5 man list for CB (which is a bit ridiculous IMO, having plan A, B or even C is understandable but when you go all the way to D and E, it sounds like you are just throwing in names just to make the list longer), he said he wanted 2 after we had bought Fred and Dalot which means he wanted at least 4-5 players

I genuinely feel he wanted 5,we have been linked the most to a LB this window. From Rose to Sandro to Ghoulam to Tierney to even that German LB Phillipe Max.
The links to Willian have been string since last year too. I think he wanted to strengthen us in all the positions we were weak in when the window started but unfortunately that hasn't happened, whatever be the reason

Last edited:

Sounds like when the wife comes back from the chippe and I asked for fish but they were all sold so she comes back with a pie instead. Can see Woody saying you wanted a CB but I got you a 35 year old keeper instead....

Then why is he saying he wanted two but he will get only one when he has already bought two?
Even if he was talking about a 5 man list for CB (which is a bit ridiculous IMO, having plan A, B or even C is understandable but when you go all the way to D and E, it sounds like you are just throwing in names just to make the list longer), he said he wanted 2 after we had bought Fred and Dalot which means he wanted at least 4-5 players

I genuinely feel he wanted 5,we have been linked the most to a LB this window. From Rose to Sandro to Ghoulam to Tierney to even that German LB Phillipe Max.
The links to Willian have been string since last year too. I think he wanted to strengthen us in all the positions we were weak in when the window started but unfortunately that hasn't happened, whatever be the reason

The interview was in the MUFC website, it may be still up there. When you listen to the interview it is quite clear the list of 5 players is for one of the two positions.

Reading some of the posts and the arguments makes me feel that there are a lot of school kids here.I would love it if we can make it mandatory for all posters to show their age and profession on their profile so that we can know who we are talking to. Just my opinion, no offense.

Reading some of the posts and the arguments makes me feel that there are a lot of school kids here.I would love it if we can make it mandatory for all posters to show their age and profession on their profile so that we can know who we are talking to. Just my opinion, no offense.
Strange opinion to be honest. For all it's problem, the entire point of the internet is that you can discuss with complete/relative anonymity (ironic given my username) and judge arguments/people on content rather than age, background, profession, nationality etc.

If you see a school-kid like post, ignore it and respond to the ones you deem "mature"?

You're right about the problem being the attack. However left back is definitely an issue. Playing in the world cup or reaching the semis of the WC doesn't make you good enough for what should be a top Manchester United team. And Ashley Young is simply not good enough to be a genuine and accomplished starter at younger apart from his 2-3 months patches interspersed throughout his career.

Also it has to be said that an attacking fullback can play a crucial part in a team's potency in attack. Think Evra, think Marcelo, think Alves. And even if that's too far a reach, think Kyle Walker.

Left back and right wing are key areas for me. I thought one was solved by signing Sanchez and the other would be solved by Luke Shaw. But given none of those worked out I do think these areas have to be filled. Left back can still be filled in but given right wing has been an issue for years that's the prime problem are IMO. Sadly the manager doesnt seem to agree.

I hear you and that's why I said there is always room for improvements. Your right about the WC not being the barometer but it does count for something (ask Pogba about silencing his critics). I guess my point was he never let England down and his delivery contributed to a couple of goals. Not saying he's the answer just don't think him or Tony are the problem. Cannot honestly say I can remember when either made a significant defensive error that cost us the game. Jose plays with a solid defensive foundation so you rarely see our FB's pushing forward or overlap anyway. That being the case then, what would a new signing in those positions offer that's different to who we already got?

I think signing Toby would be a massive step forward to how a United team should be playing.
Hopefully a RW would also allow Pogba more expression in the middle,
Signing a decent ball playing CB and a RW will allow us to stop with the defensive outlook on games and start dominating possession again, which was the main reason we had a great defensive record last season.
Obviously this relies on Jose too of course!!

Someone’s age & profession has no baring at all on their knowledge or opinions about football. Ignorant comment.

Personally while I’m fan of Alderweireld’s talents I’m firmly in the camp that says he (or any CB) shouldn’t be a priority signing this summer and we should go back for him next year.

We’re gonna overpay Levi for him. We’re not gonna sign a LB which seems to me far far more urgent. These are my main gripes with this.

That's not how football works nor is it how many other things work. Contracts are broken, marriages are ended...managers leave etc...If the club brought in the player and put him with a manager who's on record as being not really suited to dealing with anyone besides yes-man 'soldiers' (only for a short time at that)...and who cannot coax anywhere near the best out of him, while poisoning the well of good will with petty public slating...nah it's over. If it's a loveless marriage and one party wants out, buh bye.
Unfortunately for Pogba its not like marriage. It's easier to break out a marriage than running away from your work contract. If united are unwilling to sell then Pogba and his manager can hit their heads against the wall everyday and nothing will change our minds. That's it. If he had a clause in his contract that would make it easier for him to break it and go away against the clubs will. Otherwise if he want's to leave and we do not want to sell he can do nothing about it.

Personally while I’m fan of Alderweireld’s talents I’m firmly in the camp that says he (or any CB) shouldn’t be a priority signing this summer and we should go back for him next year.

We’re gonna overpay Levi for him. We’re not gonna sign a LB which seems to me far far more urgent. These are my main gripes with this.

What has Ashley done wrong last season? Not saying it's the barometer but played himself into that England team....

Everybody is talking about center backs and full backs, and we keep ignoring the same weak position every transfer window, the RW.

Levy once again dragging out a sale to the very last minute. Shocker.

Levy would be an idiot not to accept.

Very much so. When you consider his age and contract situation, really he shouldnt cost anything over £40m. I know its within the premiership and Chelsea havent even accepted the reported Madrid offers but COurtois is 26 which keeping wise is more like 21 for an outfield player and is in a similar situation...but one keeper of the tournament, is one of top 5 keepers in the world probably and we are talking of fees much smaller. If they are not accepting £60m you can fully understand why we could be looking elsewhere

What has Ashley done wrong last season? Not saying it's the barometer but played himself into that England team....

Nothing. I’d still start Young, just on the right. I don’t rate current Valencia.

On top of him just smashing every cross on to the shins of defenders, there were evident signs last year that his pace is no longer what it used to be. Young’s a good crosser of the ball but playing on the left means he nearly always cuts inside and slows down the play. It made sense being on the left when he was an inverted winger and cutting inside for shots rather then crosses, but it makes little sense (if any) to be an inverted fullback.

Add to that the fact that Shaw is basically just going through the motions till his contract expires. That Darmian is very likely gone before or after our window closes. And that Dalot is a teenager with a handful of games at the top level, which means he might need a year or two of until he’s a reliable option for the RB in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.