Transfer Tweets - 2018/19 | Remember if posting foreign language tweets to post in English too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alderweireld would definitely be a good signing for United. Just hope he doesn't end up playing with Smalling or Jones as the main defensive partnership. Takes away any improvement he brings to out overall build up play. Would much rather see him start with Lindelof and Bailly.
I don't see any point in retaining Jones this season. Would really like the transfer board to replace him proactively this summer.
There's so many players with contracts expiring at the end of the season it's puzzling how they either haven't been sold and replaced or been extended alread.

Not counting De Gea and Martial with whom the club has unilateral extension clauses which they are guaranteed to exercise in the event they don't want to extend, Jones, Smalling, Mata, Herrera, Young, Valencia, Shaw and Pereira, all have less than 12 months left. Some will be given new contracts (Herrera, Pereira maybe Shaw) but I don't see them playing for United next season. It'll be interesting to see how the club approaches the futures of these players.
I understand the need to retain Valencia, Young, even on expiring contracts because of the lack of options in those positions and no time to replenish then, but someone like Jones surely has to be moved on now or the club takes a hit financially either letting him go or having to give him a new long term contract. That's assuming they want to keep Smalling and not Jones.

Someone like De Ligt would be perfect because he's physically already at level of Jones, even at 18 and definitely better than Rojo and he brings a very, very high level of technique.

Reactions: Penna
I'm sure Jose wanted to buy in more quality, but we don't always get what we want.
I'm sure Jose wanted to buy several more players than just Fred.
Most of the fans on this forum can see that we have 2 glaringly obvious weaknesses (RW, LB). Strangely, CB is not our weakness.
Clearly Mourinho disagrees and with the amount of saves De Gea made last season, he might have a point.

Myself, I'd much rather we spend on an attacker.
Also, isn't Toby injury prone?
In the last three seasons he's had two recorded injuries. One which resulted in him missing 29 games (last season) and the other which resulted in him missing 9 games. He's only had 8 recorded injuries in his history according to transfermarkt.

Games missed due to injury over the past three seasons:
Jones - 69 (8 injuries)
Rojo - 59 (5 injuries)
Bailly - 44 (6 injuries)
Alderweireld - 38 (2 injuries)
Smalling - 26 (3 injuries)
Lindelof - 0

What do you mean game changing?

Mbappe would be a game changer.
If we signed Messi - I'd say this would be a game changer.
Neymar is a game changer.
These players are capable of turning a loss, into a draw or a win, off their own skill.
Pogba, Sanchez and DDG are all in that category.

Mbappe would be a game changer.
If we signed Messi - I'd say this would be a game changer.
Neymar is a game changer.
These players are capable of turning a loss, into a draw or a win, off their own skill.
Pogba, Sanchez and DDG are all in that category.

I was talking in regards to a CB.

29-32 are prime years for a defender, at 29 he has his best years ahead of him, yet we won't lose him in his prime to Real/Barca.

it doesn't apply to wingers though :nervous:

Clearly Mourinho disagrees and with the amount of saves De Gea made last season, he might have a point.

In the last three seasons he's had two recorded injuries. One which resulted in him missing 29 games (last season) and the other which resulted in him missing 9 games. He's only had 8 recorded injuries in his history according to transfermarkt.

Games missed due to injury over the past three seasons:
Jones - 69 (8 injuries)
Rojo - 59 (5 injuries)
Bailly - 44 (6 injuries)
Alderweireld - 38 (2 injuries)
Smalling - 26 (3 injuries)
Lindelof - 0
That's a lot of missed games :eek:

Rio was pretty good after we signed him - but was another on another level after Vidic was signed. If Alderweireld is signed, I hope he has the same effect on one of our defenders

Football has changed a bit from 15 years ago where you could buy a top young player and not have too much pressure to need them to perform immediately. In todays game if they don't perform right away the pressure to win is so intense that they will just get replaced or loaned/sold. I'd like to see us going after tomorrow's stars like De Ligt and others and gradually bring them along.

Agree I'd love De Ligt at United, he's going to be an exceptional defender and leader for a very long time. Well worth a major investment right now, lad has quality written all over him.

Agree I'd love De Ligt at United, he's going to be an exceptional defender and leader for a very long time. Well worth a major investment right now, lad has quality written all over him.
I totally agree
The kid is class and a natural leader. Already captain of Ajax at 18

I get why people want us to buy De Ligt, but our CBs are 28,28,26,23,22 and two under 20 youngsters. We don't have an old CB, all our CBs are young or youngish. Maybe if we sell Jones, Rojo and TFM, we should think of buying a young CB otherwise it's just going to be buying for the sake of it.

Also we don't have a settled back 4,even after two years under Jose. It's mostly due to injuries but once we settle on a fixed back two, say Toby - Bailly or Toby - Smalling, we can think of bringing in someone young like De Ligt. Another inexperienced kid is not what we need now, and it will be unfair to expect him to play at a very high level from day 1.He should stay at Ajax for a year or two and then move IMO.

Also if Barcelona consider Mina to be worth 40 million, I'm sure Ajax consider De Ligt to be worth 50-60 million. If we are planning on buying a CB in two years, I think it should be Skriniar, he should be available for 60-70 mill (which I know is crazy) and if he progresses right coyly become the best in the world by then

Alderweireld is Matic all over again. Proven quality with experience which is the exact opposite of the hipsters choice.

They would have preferred us to buy Sanchez instead of Alderweireld, just because he's young and will ignore his calamitous 1v1 defending hoping he'll turn into the next Ferdinand.

Who wants that? Sanchez is bang average, Alderweireld is high quality. Sanchez is all about pace and power, often having to use his assets because he is caught on the wrong foot. Alder, like Rio, anticipates everything and that’s what separates a great from a decent one. Spurs let in more goals with Sanchez on the pitch compared to when Alder is playing

Who wants that? Sanchez is bang average, Alderweireld is high quality. Sanchez is all about pace and power, often having to use his assets because he is caught on the wrong foot. Alder, like Rio, anticipates everything and that’s what separates a great from a decent one. Spurs let in more goals with Sanchez on the pitch compared to when Alder is playing

This always stands out and is more 'exciting' to folks . Definitely harder to appreciate the kind of positioning and anticipation for an untrained eye. We need the latter. Alderweireld would be a brilliant signing.

"Preparing to make a bid" while the market is closing in 5 days.

Makes zero sense.

Why would Maguire be first choice if Toby is available? Particularly if he's available for 55m when Maguire would cost 60+? This is insane. If we screw around here we may end up with neither or panicking and spending 80m on Maguire. Either would be an absolute travesty given the amount of time we've had to make a decision.

In other words “we here at sky have lost a lot of money during the opening weekend of the season so need to recoup some money so go and put as much as you can on SkyBet even though we know it’s bullshit”.

It could also be true in which case then shitt, he isn’t worth that much nor should we be chasing him over Toby.

Could just be a bomb to smoke Levy out of his panic chamber. By all indications Leicester want to keep Maguire. Selling him now would throw their chance at Europe into serious flux. Besides, there's no confimation that United have agreed anything with Levy or that Alderweireld is available at 60m at all.
Or it could just be Sky being Sky.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan
Status
Not open for further replies.