Transfer Tweets - 2018/19 | Remember if posting foreign language tweets to post in English too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you tell me a centre half that is a game changer? Or do you mean ‘game changer’ in terms of our transfer strategy?

Godin

Personally I'd prefer we go after a player like Perisic or the like to provide a spark in attack, which is where our actual deficiencies are.

Influential enough to make a difference in our performances that justifies spending 60m in lieu of not buying another attacker.

Do you think any CB would make enough difference?

Godin

Personally I'd prefer we go after a player like Perisic or the like to provide a spark in attack, which is where our actual deficiencies are.
Fair enough mate. I do agree that we have more issues going forward than in defence but, for me, a defender that is confident on the ball could add more to our attack. We have great forwards but they need to receive the ball earlier.

Yes - Godin

Short of that I doubt the likes of Alderweireld or Maguire would make much of a difference (hope I'm wrong).

The difference between Godin and Alderweireld is not wide enough to consider Godin a "game changing" player and Alderweireld not, imo.

The difference between Godin and Alderweireld is not wide enough to consider Godin a "game changing" player and Alderweireld not, imo.

Godin is the best in the world imo. Alderweireld isn't even close to his level.

I think most people would agree that CB is not THE priority. LB/RW are sorely more needed. However, the rumours are all about CB's which likely means we've tried and failed on those targets. Given that "one more signing" seems to mean we are getting a CB. I just hope Toby can be done tonight/tomorrow/tuesday and then we focus on LEI.

I really hope Jose gets asked about Toby after the Bayern Friendly.

Godin is the best in the world imo. Alderweireld isn't even close to his level.

Well, he is close...

I acknowledge Godin is a world class player, but Alderweireld is not exactly miles off.

Influential enough to make a difference in our performances that justifies spending 60m in lieu of not buying another attacker.

I agree, I would much rather upgrade our RW or our fullbacks. Both those options would improve our attack. But I don’t mind Toby because I do think he will improve our defense, and also feel the club needs to give Mourinho whatever he prioritises. It seems we have been after a CB all summer, so the gaffer must view this as a crucial signing.

I agree, I would much rather upgrade our RW or our fullbacks. Both those options would improve our attack. But I don’t mind Toby because I do think he will improve our defense, and also feel the club needs to give Mourinho whatever he prioritises. It seems we have been after a CB all summer, so the gaffer must view this as a crucial signing.

Agreed. If he helps galvanize us at the back and we score more goals as a result of playing better then I'm cool with it.

He's good but not a game changer imo.

Not entirely true. We're hilariously slow at passing the ball out from the back. He could definitely have the impact needed which in turn will make us far more efficient on the other end of the pitch.

Not entirely true. We're hilariously slow at passing the ball out from the back. He could definitely have the impact needed which in turn will make us far more efficient on the other end of the pitch.

That's a hell of a lot to pay for passing the ball out of the back.

I think we went into the window with Fred, Dalot, Toby, Sandro and Willian as targets plus one CM if Fellaini decided not to renew. Think those were the five Jose talked about in some presser.
We could get Toby but that's still 3/5 which is not great.
I think we were priced out of a move for both Sandro and Willian. Juve wanted 50-60 million for Sandro, same with Chelsea for Willian. Maybe we didn't find the amount needed to get them as a worthy investment. After all one is a LB and the other is a 30 year old RW with poor output.Also I feel we expected to recoup some cash with the sales of Shaw, Darmian and maybe Rojo. Shaw deciding not to leave and us finding it difficult to sell the other two could have also played a part in us not investing the money in Sandro /Willian

We have spent about 50 million or so after sales so going be the previous windows, we must have something around 100 million left in our budget. Hopefully we can get Toby for 50 mill plus add ons and Willian for nearly the same amount.

That's a hell of a lot to pay for passing the ball out of the back.

we are being quoted 3x Barca's initial fee for Mina because he can head the ball well. Dudes been there 8 months and is magically now worth 3x his initial fee for not playing? The market is broken.

We have upgraded the midfield which will help. But we also need to upgrade fullbacks to really get the ball out quickly. Otherwise we will continue being slow out the back. But I am more in the camp that Toby won’t be a game changer for us, because against 90% of the opponents that park the bus, we aren’t really having any issues at passing the ball out the back. We need to be able to attack better.

we are being quoted 3x Barca's initial fee for Mina because he can head the ball well. Dudes been there 8 months and is magically now worth 3x his initial fee for not playing? The market is broken.

Agreed. That's why we need to take a serious look at why we aren't going after the top players of tomorrow in the present. We splashed the cash for Rio when he was fairly young and plucked Vidic out of the Russian league. That's the sort of quality we need so we don't wind up being held hostage by the likes of Raiola and Levy.

Agreed. That's why we need to take a serious look at why we aren't going after the top players of tomorrow in the present. We splashed the cash for Rio when he was fairly young and plucked Vidic out of the Russian league. That's the sort of quality we need so we don't wind up being held hostage by the likes of Raiola and Levy.

i agree. I guess i'm just looking at these last few days "one tweet at a time".

We have 4 days left, the rumours are all CB's. I guess i want to get the best of those with credible rumours and i can't worry about the maybes and wot ifs. If we have credible rumours for Willian/Perisic etc etc etc still going, I don't think i'd be on the "Toby Train". I just see the names of Toby / Maguire / Mina in the media and i can only see one being worth it if that is all the journos are going to tweet about.

What is the hype with Alderweireld. Am i the only one who thinks he's bang average ?
I'm not even sure he's that good. Why was he suddenly 3rd choice at Spurs last season? Much rather spend the money on a LB or RB instead. That's where our real weaknesses are. CB is a priority but not a pressing concern as the other positions.

Looking back, Ferguson did incredibly well with his signings of Ferdinand, Vidic and Evra. Remarkable value considering the years of excellent service United got out of them.

Do clubs still make signings like that?

Looking back, Ferguson did incredibly well with his signings of Ferdinand, Vidic and Evra. Remarkable value considering the years of excellent service United got out of them.

Do clubs still make signings like that?

Football has changed a bit from 15 years ago where you could buy a top young player and not have too much pressure to need them to perform immediately. In todays game if they don't perform right away the pressure to win is so intense that they will just get replaced or loaned/sold. I'd like to see us going after tomorrow's stars like De Ligt and others and gradually bring them along.

What is the hype with Alderweireld. Am i the only one who thinks he's bang average ?

He was average before but has been pretty good under Pochettino last couple of years.

I am finding it hard to get excited about signing any centre backs though.

He was average before but has been pretty good under Pochettino last couple of years.

I am finding it hard to get excited about signing any centre backs though.
Same here. Let alone a 29 year old one. We need a right winger. This has been a problem position of our attack that has held us back for years now. Yet we seem completely unable and largely disinterested to address it. We should be excited about an exciting incoming talent at right wing set to give defenders twisted blood. - like Mahrez or Malcom. Instead all the talk is about the 507th central defender about to join the club.

I feel that we will end up with Alderweireld for sure since Spurs need the money for their own transfer plans . Poch has been giving minor feelers regarding lack of signing so Levy will have to make a move or two soon if he wants to keep Poch happy .

I don't think we will sign Willian since Sarri seems interested in integrating him in the squad and Willian doesn't seem one to make noise for a transfer request . All the talks of straight swap with Martial is doubtful since Woodward will veto the deal for sure . Who knows maybe we might end up making deadline bids for our ex players namely Januzaj or Zaha . I don't think we will be going after any full backs so late in the window . I am expecting 2 signings at most .

Also watch out for Mourinho news too . Another new article today that says Mourinho is upset with Pogba for not coming back early and instead throwing a party in LA . Apparently that is a clash according to English tabloids . Also Raiola is offering Pogba to every club possible he can . Already with bad relations with Shaw and Martial along with not so charitable quotes about our young players . I think Mourinho is playing with fire now . At some point soon enough the management will have to make a decision . The way transfer window situation is right now and crazy prices quoted for average players . The board will want to secure their premier young players on long contracts and keep them happy even if it comes at the cost of letting Mourinho go if he insists on chucking them instead of integrating them properly .

He can fly to Manchester how many times he wants, but still not changing anything. Pogba has a contract to 2021 and he should respect it if we are not interested in selling. The club made a huge investment in him, he should man up and meet the expectation.

I think we went into the window with Fred, Dalot, Toby, Sandro and Willian as targets plus one CM if Fellaini decided not to renew. Think those were the five Jose talked about in some presser.
We could get Toby but that's still 3/5 which is not great.
I think we were priced out of a move for both Sandro and Willian. Juve wanted 50-60 million for Sandro, same with Chelsea for Willian. Maybe we didn't find the amount needed to get them as a worthy investment. After all one is a LB and the other is a 30 year old RW with poor output.Also I feel we expected to recoup some cash with the sales of Shaw, Darmian and maybe Rojo. Shaw deciding not to leave and us finding it difficult to sell the other two could have also played a part in us not investing the money in Sandro /Willian

We have spent about 50 million or so after sales so going be the previous windows, we must have something around 100 million left in our budget. Hopefully we can get Toby for 50 mill plus add ons and Willian for nearly the same amount.
who said he wanted five players, in winter after buying Alexis he said we need two more players in summer, 3 if Afro man leaves.

Without sounding thick, what's the urgency about needing full backs. I know they are getting older but one played in the semi final of the WC and the other was considered consistently one of the best in the league last year. I know they don't get forward much but that's more about Jose than about their ability to. Don't get me wrong, you can always get upgrades in pretty much most positions on the pitch par DDG, but not sure why full backs are seen as a necessity. Tbh defence wasnt the reason we lost games last season, I'd say it was further up the pitch.....

Status
Not open for further replies.