Transfer Tweets - 2018/19 | Remember if posting foreign language tweets to post in English too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of all the cbs Mike is the last one we should sell.
This! Would much rather sell Rojo or Jones before Smalling. Don’t see how selling our most reliable centre back makes sense if it’s an area we’re trying to strengthen.

According to readers of The Mirror, United have had the worst transfer window out of all 20 Premier League Clubs. Even worse than Spurs who have signed...no one.

People thinking we're selling Smalling. :lol: The only central defender we have at the club who we can rely on to be fit and not have his form constantly bounce from good to terrible.

The only chance whatsoever that that happens is if we are signing both Alderweireld and Maguire (or maybe Mina and one of them). In other words, it's not happening.

People thinking we're selling Smalling. :lol: The only central defender we have at the club who we can rely on to be fit and not have his form constantly bounce from good to terrible.

Have we signed another player called Smalling without me noticing?

Can't help thinking that if there is any chance we sell Shaw to Wolfsburg that we'd go out and buy an actual competent left back :drool:

Have we signed another player called Smalling without me noticing?
Which other defender beats him there? Every other one barring Lindelof have been terribly injury prone, and every single one of them (Jones, Rojo, Bailly and Lindelof) all have shakier form and make more mistakes. People hate on Smalling but the reality is that he has been comfortably our best central defender. That may be a sad indictment on our other options, but it is the case.

Which other defender beats him there? Every other one barring Lindelof have been terribly injury prone, and every single one of them (Jones, Rojo, Bailly and Lindelof) all have shakier form and make more mistakes. People hate on Smalling but the reality is that he has been comfortably our best central defender. That may be a sad indictment on our other options, but it is the case.

Absolutely, can't understand why people ignore this. He's a good defender. Put someone next to him that can play a decent forward pass and we are set.

Fair enough, that's your opinion.

In mine, Bailly, Jones and at times, Rojo have been consistently defenders than him when they've had a decent spell fit. Think Lindelof, Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah will prove themselves far better defenders as well in time. He's no poster boy for fitness either.

I watch Smalling and I see a walking mistake waiting to happen. He loses concentration in the same way Rio used to very early on in his career, but unlike Rio, he lacks the pace and athleticism to make up for mistakes. He is also well past the stage Rio stopped making such errors.

Jones and Bailly can also make mistakes, but both are more athletic than Smalling and in my opinion, have more natural defensive ability.

Some guy on Reddit is saying that Smalling is on his way to Wolves. He called the Moutinho transfer eight days ago, so there's a good chance it's happening.

I am no fan of Smalling at all...but if we are signing one centre back, he would be bottom of the list of the current ones I would release personally apart from Bailly

According to readers of The Mirror, United have had the worst transfer window out of all 20 Premier League Clubs. Even worse than Spurs who have signed...no one.

You just know Fred is gonna be a whipping boy for journos and his price will get higher and higher. Jamie Jackson already increased it from a fictional 52m to 55m in 3 days! Soon he'll be our 100m flop!

Surely opinion pieces like this have no place in a transfer rumour thread?

The good news is we should get at least 50m for Smalling with the current prices. That might be enough to go for a world class player in defence or elsewhere.

I know its a crazy market and Jones and Smalling arent bad defenders but they certainly havent proved themselves to be excellent ones at our club (I would say average...at best in Jones case especially), yet in the last two days I have ready we can get £110m for the pair of them.

Yet everybody is saying they cant believe we are in for Mina, which we are probably not, but considering most of us have only seen him play in the world cup, where he actually played pretty well but as he has only played five times at Barcelona (when they have Pique and Umtiti) he has to be rubbish.....but we must keep Lindelof as he was excellent at the world cup, was he???? I am not mad for us signing Mina, wouldnt want to judge just from the world cup, but if we are judging on that, am I the only person thought he played much better than Lindelof in it?

doesnt mean much unless we get a top class replacement. Not sure a backup Barca dont seem interested in keeping will cut it

There are some desperate gamblers, the crazy one was the rush of bets on Kane to Utd, ridiculous, what next....Ronaldo to Juventus?

With both Rojo and Smalling linked away is it possible that we're buying Maguire/Alderweireld as our main CB signing and Mina as a squad option?

Just seems mad that a CB seems to the focus of our attention, maybe even to the point where we buy two. Other than LW and CM, it is the one position we are stacked in.

Out whole defence is still stacked, but all in mediocrity, that is the problem. I really hope you are right and we do buy two personally and ship out a few, though I would keep Bailly definately and Smalling for numbers....Lindelof, JOnes and Rojo I wouldnt bat an eyelid at leaving

Surely opinion pieces like this have no place in a transfer rumour thread?
No but it is quite interesting just to see the level of anti-united opinion.
Worst of all 20 clubs, opinion based on sweet feck all but blind dislike

In mine, Bailly, Jones and at times, Rojo have been consistently defenders than him when they've had a decent spell fit. Think Lindelof, Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah will prove themselves far better defenders as well in time. He's no poster boy for fitness either.
Rojo has been with us for four years and he's had one period of three or four months where he played well (and even then he somehow got away with two certain red card challenges). Otherwise he's been terrible. Jones just had probably the best season of his career, and still made more mistakes and wasn't as good as Smalling. Bailly has shown the potential to be brilliant, but also the potential to be terrible and all over the place just as often. Hopefully in the future he'll come good, but so far he has been unbelievably inconsistent.

Whether we are talking just the last season, or if we want to go back and say over the last four seasons as a whole, Smalling has been our best defender. He's had the highest peak (none of the others have gotten close to how he performed in 15/16), the most consistent, the least amount of poor games and mistakes, and the least likely to be injured. I'm not saying he's necessarily been brilliant, but for some reason people keep over-rating the others. There is a reason why every manager ends up going back to him and leaving the others to fight it out to partner him.

When I've seen him play for Atletico he's always seemed decent. Why are they letting him go?
Just signed Arias. They were supposed to sign Sidibe but I guess that hit a snag. By the looks of it they've gone for a more attacking full-back. Vrsjalko has been good for them (I prefered Juanfran in his prime) but isn't exceptionally good going forward. Maybe he also prefers to be in Italy too?

Rojo has been with us for four years and he's had one period of three or four months where he played well (and even then he somehow got away with two certain red card challenges). Otherwise he's been terrible. Jones just had probably the best season of his career, and still made more mistakes and wasn't as good as Smalling. Bailly has shown the potential to be brilliant, but also the potential to be terrible and all over the place just as often. Hopefully in the future he'll come good, but so far he has been unbelievably inconsistent.

Whether we are talking just the last season, or if we want to go back and say over the last four seasons as a whole, Smalling has been our best defender. He's had the highest peak (none of the others have gotten close to how he performed in 15/16), the most consistent, the least amount of poor games and mistakes, and the least likely to be injured. I'm not saying he's necessarily been brilliant, but for some reason people keep over-rating the others. There is a reason why every manager ends up going back to him and leaving the others to fight it out to partner him.

Like I said, opinions. I don't overrate the others either - we have a lot of average defenders in an era of mediocre defending.

I watch Smalling and I see a walking mistake waiting to happen. He loses concentration in the same way Rio used to very early on in his career, but unlike Rio, he lacks the pace and athleticism to make up for mistakes. He is also well past the stage Rio stopped making such errors.

Jones and Bailly can also make mistakes, but both are more athletic than Smalling and in my opinion, have more natural defensive ability.

That's wonderful referring to Jones. The player that on average has missed 40% of matches every season in his United career. He is the least reliable defender we have.

Don't think so, that's 120 mill or so right there, no way are we spending that much on CBS. Even Pep won't spend that much on CBs
I'm sure we have someone lined up, a deal all agreed otherwise clubs would know we are desperate for a CB and will bleed us dry.
If we are indeed selling Rojo and Smalling, I expect one of Maguire/Toby and a cheaper option like Mina

Have you even read this thread? We will be making a profit from outgoing centre backs. Joking aside if we signed the best two top centre backs sold three from Smalling, Jones, Rojo and Lindelof then the net spend wouldnt be astronomical at all. I would think too late to clear the deadwood and unhappy players like Martial, if we did though, fees being mentioned here are a bit over the top, but we could bring in a very good amount of money to cover the cost of another two or three big transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.