Transfer Tweets - 2018/19 | Remember if posting foreign language tweets to post in English too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed.
I think our head scout recently quit, because he didn't have enough power to make decisions.

He had the opportunity to become sporting director at Zenith. That's a big step up from his former job, I wouldn't blame this on the club.

Indeed.
Our head scout recently quit, because he didn't have enough power to make decisions.
Perhaps he identified some young talent, but the MUFC bosses said "no, we want to go for the 2 players who did well in the WC".

As you said, what is the point in having scouts, if we are going to judge a player's value, based on performances in big competitions, which we can all view on the telly.
I mean, it doesn't need a scout, to say, "Bale, if not injured, would improve us". Or, "Perisic would improve us". Or, "Sandro in, Shaw out, would improve us". I'm not a scout and even I know these things, as do most MUFC fans.

On a positive note, we did buy Dalot. Whether he will turn out to be good is anyone's guess, but if he does, it will be the result of good scouting.

I thought he left because he got a better job?

Indeed.
I think our head scout recently quit, because he didn't have enough power to make decisions.
Perhaps he identified some young talent, but the MUFC bosses said "no, we want to go for the 2 players who did well in the WC".

As you said, what is the point in having scouts, if we are going to judge a player's value, based on performances in big competitions, which we can all view on the telly.
I mean, it doesn't need a scout, to say, "Bale, if not injured, would improve us". Or, "Perisic would improve us". Or, "Sandro in, Shaw out, would improve us". I'm not a scout and even I know these things, as do most MUFC fans.

On a positive note, we did buy Dalot. Whether he will turn out to be good is anyone's guess, but if he does, it will be the result of good scouting.

Exactly, it's comical, and you can hardly call it scouting when it's something which can be accomplished by any single person watching a WC tournament on tv. Where's the months and months of attending games for a CB who we've extensively checked out to perfect our defensive system? It's about finding that Umtiti before he already plays for a big club.

Huge United revamp?
For our first team, we have bought Fred.
We have sold Blind.

This is the quietest transfer window in the last 5 years.
What huge revamp are they talking about?

Seems more and more likely we'll play 3-5-2 more often this season, which can be good if if we actually get a ball playing CB. If we do play 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 I would love to see Pereira on the right. He is right footed as well, so would be going out wide.

Still a bit of time left in the window, so hopefully something will happen.

Yes, it will be great to see Pereira further forward. Typically, Jose mixes formations so I won't be surprised to see us change formations a few times during the season.

Indeed.
Our head scout recently quit, rumour has it that it was because he felt he had little power (not sure about this, though).

There are a lot of assumptions in this post.
Also, having scouts doesn't mean signing bigger names is giving them less power or undermines their job description.

Hugain to Milan? Really? Italian clubs always sells on first offer come from others Italian but always want the highest money from abroad. Dont know its a good or bad thing really.

Hugain to Milan? Really? Italian clubs always sells on first offer come from others Italian but always want the highest money from abroad. Dont know its a good or bad thing really.
I wonder if England is actually a unique country in that we really hate the possibility of even remotely strengthening any other club that could even have remotely been considered a domestic rival 10 years ago, to the extent that we'll take far worse deals just to "out of sight out of mind" a player.

Teams from Italy, Germany and Spain seem far more keen to keep top talent within their league.

I think when LFC bought Fabinho, it was done very quickly, in a few hours.
It proves that it doesn't take months/weeks/days to "prepare a bid".
As you said, if you have the money, tell the seller that this is what we can offer and then begin negotiations.
You're sadly mistaken if you think the Fabinho deal took hours.

I wonder if England is actually a unique country in that we really hate the possibility of even remotely strengthening any other club that could even have remotely been considered a domestic rival 10 years ago, to the extent that we'll take far worse deals just to "out of sight out of mind" a player.

Teams from Italy, Germany and Spain seem far more keen to keep top talent within their league.

Higuain is being sold for the amount Juve have been demanding since the beginning of summer (54m euros, his value in the books).

Sanchez, Mkhitariyan, Matic, Mata, Giroud, Sterling, Sturridge, Kante, Torres, Walker etc. How are those transfers any different?

I think when LFC bought Fabinho, it was done very quickly, in a few hours.
It proves that it doesn't take months/weeks/days to "prepare a bid".

As you said, if you have the money, tell the seller that this is what we can offer and then begin negotiations.
Im not sure about Fabinho you know. He has a great youtube highlight reel (playing in Ligue 1) but its strange that during the Monaco exodus last season, he wasn't one of those to depart. I haven't seen much of him but the way Liverpool were able to stroll in and sign him is perhaps tells a story? I could be wrong.

As a B-side, how much have Monaco made from player transfer sales in the last 12 months? Must be about £400m.

Edit: Its just short of £500m including bonuses, absolute madness.

Last edited:

As if Milan were actual rivals for juventus right now. Juventus have no problem dealing with other italian clubs(save maybe inter because of the fans) because none of them are rivals. They signed CR7. What the hells do they care were Higuain plays :lol:

Higuain is being sold for the amount Juve have been demanding since the beginning of summer (54m euros, his value in the books).

Sanchez, Mkhitariyan, Matic, Mata, Giroud, Sterling, Sturridge, Kante, Torres, Walker etc. How are those transfers any different?
Sanchez - expiring contract
Mkhitariyan - outcast that got us Sanchez
Matic - only relevant name on your list, happened because player insisted and we paid more than Juventus
Mata - sky high fee for an outcast
Giroud - Arsenal needed Batshuayi to go to Dortmund to get Aubameyang
Sterling - sky high fee
Sturridge - outcast
Kante - buyout clause
Torres - sky high fee for an injury destroyed player
Walker - sky high fee

The fact that Higuain is being LOANED, with just the OPTION to buy, to a direct domestic RIVAL, for merely the potential of the same ASKING PRICE as foreign clubs, seems absurd. Hardly the first suspiciously good value inter-Italian deal we've seen recently either.

As if Milan were actual rivals for juventus right now. Juventus have no problem dealing with other italian clubs(save maybe inter because of the fans) because none of them are rivals. They signed CR7. What the hells do they care were Higuain plays :lol:
It's the equivalent of Manchester City -> Arsenal. Except AC Milan have ambition.

The fact that Higuain is being LOANED, with just the OPTION to buy, to a direct domestic RIVAL, for merely the potential of the same ASKING PRICE as foreign clubs, seems absurd. Hardly the first suspiciously good value inter-Italian deal we've seen recently either.
€18m loan fee. As if Milan won't sign him permanently next season. The deal is structired in such a way as the help Milan work around FFP, nothing more than that. Juventus wanted, needed, to get rid of Higuain. And they needed to avoid taking a loss on him. Where he went never mattered to them. This is the thing with most italian clubs in general, most of the time what they care about is getting the best deal for themselves, that's it. If juventus thought Milan might have become a real threat to their chances of the titlewith Higuain, they would have tried to push him elsewhere

Matic - only relevant name on your list, happened because player insisted and we paid more than Juventus
Sterling - sky high fee
Sturridge - outcast
Kante - buyout clause
Walker - sky high fee

They probably need him off the wage bill, Milan are not a threat etc. I get what you are saying though. I think Serie A is quite an insular league, more business between their clubs than on the outside, Italian players for one, don't often travel and play abroad. There is also the co-ownership element for young players which indicates a different culture in that regard.

Ha! From Schalke to Arsenal, Liverpool, AC Milan, even Fenerbache were linked, to Crystal Palace :lol: That should sort his ego out, though I wonder if Palace will be offering him the money he wanted (77k) or lower. If it's lower, then why not go back to Arsenal and other teams with the same demands, they might accept.

Sterling - sky high fee
Sturridge - outcast
Kante - buyout clause
Walker - sky high fee

RIGHT, so many EXCUSES. How many other BIG inter-Italian deals can you point out the past few years that didn't involve a release clause, a high fee or an outcast? The LOAN+OPTION is clearly a way for Milan to spread the COSTS and for Juventus to get rid of salary and amortization costs, in order to FINANCE the Ronaldo deal. In that SENSE, Higuain is now an OUTCAST too who the club DESPERATELY want to get rid of without making a financial loss (requires 54 m euros).

And since when is Milan a domestic RIVAL? They're about as much a RIVAL as Leicester City is for United. (AM I DOING THIS RIGHT?)

Ha! From Schalke to Arsenal, Liverpool, AC Milan, even Fenerbache were linked, to Crystal Palace :lol: That should sort his ego out, though I wonder if Palace will be offering him the money he wanted (77k) or lower. If it's lower, then why not go back to Arsenal and other teams with the same demands, they might accept.

It wasn't much of a 'race' from what I read.

You're making it out as if Higuain is an exceptional player. In calendar year of 2018 he scored 11 goals, 5 assists in 1773mins, thats a goal every 161mins on average.

Taking into account he's playing for Juventus, a top 5 club in Europe. That's not a good output. It's worse when you look at his last 15 games, scored 3 goals. Not saying he's finished, but when you've got Ronaldo coming in then I don't think they really give a shit about him anymore. Probably just want his wages off their finances and for a big player who could unsettle the dressing room when he's immediately benched (which could cause dressing room problems) to leave.

AC Milan were really shit at times last season too. They're as much a rival as Arsenal are to City.

Cabaye was on £90k a week with us and left on a free this summer, so I'd imagine if £77k is what Meyer is asking for then he's going to get it. Don't know a lot about him to be honest but I recall him being highly rated and that he's dropped slightly deeper these days, so Cabaye out Meyer in seems decent business if we can get it done.

Last edited:
Axel Witsel is having a medical at Dortmund, according to Belgian tv station RTBF. Good transfer for both. Glad he's back from China.

Cabaye was on £90k a week with us and left on a free this summer, so I'd imagine if £77k is what Meyer is asking for then he's going to get it. Don't know a lot about him to be honest but I recall him being highly rated and that he's dropped slightly deeper these days, so Cabaye out Meyer in seems decent business if we can get it done.
very good point, forgot how big of a wage he was on. Rumour has it you have very little money as well, so an extremely good bit of business if that's the case.

Willian has failed to report back for pre-season training at Chelsea following a £65 million bid from Real Madrid. The Brazil international was due to return to Chelsea last Friday after an extended holiday following the World Cup, but has yet to appear at training.

Willian is understood to have contacted Chelsea explaining that his absence is due to an issue with his passport, although not everyone at Stamford Bridge is convinced by the excuse, which echoes the Diego Costa saga 12 months ago.

Ignore the Real Madrid part. I don't see them bidding for Willian. Real story is the bit about training.

That would be a good signing - do you know if you're going to get RLC back on loan again?

I thought he left because he got a better job?
Of course not, he left because he told the united bosses that they should buy some unknown jem but they told him "No, we are gonna buy those two players who did well in the world cup". the fact that he left to get a sporting director role at Zenith is just a consequence of that \s ... :wenger:

One of my developers called in earlier saying he had a problem with his headlight and might not be in today...maybe he is joining Real Madrid too?

That would be a good signing - do you know if you're going to get RLC back on loan again?

Would be great but I just don't see it to be honest, I've heard rumours of Chelsea wanting a £10m loan fee which there is no way we'll pay.

From what I've heard Michail Antonio is more likely so if him and Meyer come off I would expect something like an Antonio Milivojevic Meyer Townsend midfield with Zaha and Benteke up top.

Status
Not open for further replies.