Transfer Tweets - 2018/19 | Remember if posting foreign language tweets to post in English too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who says its desperation? They'd obviously be on the list that Jose gave to Woodward.
We've failed to get several of our main targets and now we're moving on to the mediocre players who will be bought for the sake of signing someone. These guys will end up being another Blind, Schneiderlin, Darmian (the list goes on) type of signing.

I agree with a lot of what you said especially about Maguire not being good enough but most of the other top defenders in the world also came from "lower clubs". That alone is no basis for not signing a player.

Out of curiosity, what attainable defenders would you rather we sign?

I'd prefer Mina for a start. Playing with Barca you can assume what he is being taught will be a higher standard compared to Leicester. He is also 2 years younger than Mcguire. Mina surely would be a lot cheaper than Mcgurie as well? Only thing Mina is missing is Prem league proven.

Or conversely the Mirror have used the fact that clicking on someone's IG following list automatically ranks mutual people you follow yourself above every one else to get some more clicks. That's not to say we're not interested Mina – this article is just more rubbish like that Rebic piece.
So you're saying he has always been following them then? I'm confused.

They'd be backup to the backup options on that list.
Unless Toby and Maguire are backups themselves then wouldn't these be the second options? Unless there's other links I'm missing?

If we sign Mina we really do have idiots in charge of the club.

Barca consider him an absolute joke, you think they would get rid, after six months, if he was any good?

We really are becoming Liverpool of the 90's.

Or conversely the Mirror have used the fact that clicking on someone's IG following list automatically ranks mutual people you follow yourself above every one else to get some more clicks. That's not to say we're not interested Mina – this article is just more rubbish like that Rebic piece.

Either that or he's also signing for City.

Jesus if we end up with Mina and Rebic, it would such a waste. Honestly rather sign no one.

:lol:

Short term you would certainly be worse off. I don't know where this overrating of Pulisic and underrating of Willian comes from, but it's rather hilarious.

Last season stats...
Willian: 13g, 12a in 3,053 mins
Pulisic: 5g, 7a in 3.038 mins

And that's in a considerably harder league for Willian. Dembele and Mkhi looked like world beaters in that team playing in the same position as Pulisic. Yet plucked out of that team and league, they don't look that special. Barca even wanted to sign Willian because of doubts over Dembele.

You say Willian is not consistent but he's been having double figure seasons in the EPL for the last 3 seasons in a row and he's a 2 times EPL winner.

Willian has never scored double digits in the prem for us just so we can clear this up;

2013–14 25 - 4
2014–15 36 - 2
2015–16 35 - 5
2016–17 34 - 8
2017–18 36 - 6

Fans that don't support Chelsea and don't watch us as often see highlights or the goals he does score and the good bits so understandable that they don't quite grasp it.

Willian has never scored double digits in the prem for us just so we can clear this up;

2013–14 25 - 4
2014–15 36 - 2
2015–16 35 - 5
2016–17 34 - 8
2017–18 36 - 6

Fans that don't support Chelsea and don't watch us as often see highlights or the goals he does score and the good bits so understandable that they don't quite grasp it.

It's bizarre, but I swear to god it's only on this forum that anyone rates Willian. I don't know a single Chelsea fan in real life that does, and most neutrals I've seen speak of him think he's fairly shite.

It's bizarre, but I swear to god it's only on this forum that anyone rates Willian. I don't know a single Chelsea fan in real life that does, and most neutrals I've seen speak of him think he's fairly shite.

He is certainly not my favourite as a new winger- but he is a good player. I just don't think he is what we need. But attacking players who start regularly for Brazil - usually aren't shite.

2013–14 25 - 4
2014–15 36 - 2
2015–16 35 - 5
2016–17 34 - 8
2017–18 36 - 6

Right, with that cleared up, can you now answer how you think replacing an experienced RW (with double digit contribution across all comps) with one who has a far inferior contribution while playing for BVB in Bundesliga is not going to make you worse off in the short term?

Because you basically dodged that part in your answer. And I could easily turn your latter argument about not watching Chelsea enough to have a strong opinion on Willian and say that most likely you don't watch BVB every week or even the highlights so you're likely not grasping it when people say he's not ready.

Yes. It's only this forum and Mourinho and Barcelona and the Brazilian manager and... :wenger:

He is certainly not my favourite as a new winger- but he is a good player. I just don't think he is what we need. But attacking players who start regularly for Brazil - usually aren't shite.

But that's the thing isn't it?

That's not a comment on Willian based on any actual observation of his ability, that's just a deflection 'he's a Brazilian attacker and gets in their team ergo he must be good'.

Nevermind the fact he had a poor world cup or that you could have used that line of argument to sign some truly rank players like Fred over the years.

Yes. It's only this forum and Mourinho and Barcelona and the Brazilian manager and... :wenger:

All of which is true of Paulinho, and I find it very hard to believe that there would have been anything other than pandemonium if we were linked with singing him for the best part of £100m.

Just goes to show that the CL has ruined the clubs ambition, as long as we qualify for it the club are happy enough but they are not willing to spend the money needed to actually compete for it or the PL as the sums don't add up. What a depressing state of affairs.

The Glazers are using the Arsenal blue print to make money.
Spend just enough to keep them in the top 4 and pocket the rest.
The fans who say, "we shouldn't spend money", are essentially supporting the Glazers' bank balance. If the money is not spent on players, the money will not be used to reduce debt. It will go to the shareholders.
I'd much rather as much money as possible (which is earnt by the club), is spent on the club (ie. the stadium, the website, marketing, player transfers, staff wages, etc).
I do not support The Glazers. I support MUFC and right now Jose is fighting tooth and nail to get his bosses to release the funds, to spend on players.

Pulisic has Croatian blood Jose, you know what to do.

You think Woodward would want to spend the money?
Woodward refused to meet the valuation of Perisic last year, when Jose was desperate to land him. I think Inter wanted an extra £10M.
If Jose asked Woodward to buy Pulisic for £65M, Woodward would probably have a heart attack!

2013–14 25 - 4
2014–15 36 - 2
2015–16 35 - 5
2016–17 34 - 8
2017–18 36 - 6

Feels like he wants an upgraded version of Valencia to use wide right in a 3-5-2.

"If United's negotiations with the Foxes continue to stall then they'll move quickly to tie up a deal worth around €40m for Mina."

Yeah, I'm sure we went to Mina's agent, 'he's our second choice, so if we don't get Maguire we'd like to have him at the club'.

Yerry Mina has started following Manchester United on Instagram. It’s happening guys.
He was very poor in the few games he played last season for Barca, but he was very impressive at the world cup (more so than Maguire). May be an option, but I highly doubt he's anywhere near the top of our list of targets.

Our scouting team :lol:

No mention of Mina and Maguire pre-World Cup. Both happen to have good World Cup's. Both are apparently our top two CB targets.

What's the point of defensive scouts if our top targets are identified in the same manner that half the Cafe are accustomed to, television?

If we're desperate enough to offer 65M for Maguire I don't see why we couldn't have pushed a bit harder for Skriniar or Pavard.

Our scouting team :lol:

No mention of Mina and Maguire pre-World Cup. Both happen to have good World Cup's. Both are apparently our top two CB targets.

What's the point of defensive scouts if our top targets are identified in the same manner that half the Cafe are accustomed to, television?

This drunk at a bar here in North America said we should buy Mina. So that's about the level our scouts are at these days. Neither Maguire or Mina are well regarded internationally, but they might do a job for us. If they were avaialble for 10-20m, I'd say go for it. Anything above that is robbery, certainly for Mina, probably for Maguire.

To me it doesn't look like we're penny pinching ... maybe you're not aware of the size of our squad. Not saying that's Jose's issue to deal with but maybe we're trying to clear out first. Also, maybe we want to see a better path for the youth players, e.g. Tuanzebe and Chong.

Im well aware of the size of the squad funnily enough.

We seem to have been haggling forever over Alderweirald and Sandro and not to mention the Perisic negotiations last summer when if we really had/wanted to spend the money we would have.

And while I am in no way part of the Mourinho anti youth mentality I would be amazed if the likes of Gomes and Chong are promoted to the first team squads by choice this year.

Just another gripe I have with these transfer stories. When it says "preparing a bid", what the feck does that actually mean?? If you want a player and have the money, just bid for him??

I hate transfer season!

Last edited:
Unless Toby and Maguire are backups themselves then wouldn't these be the second options? Unless there's other links I'm missing?
I'm assuming Alderweireld's the top CB choice, with Maguire being who we turn to if Levy's too difficult to deal with. If Rebic was on the list of wingers, he'd be behind at least Bale, Willian and Perisic.

Status
Not open for further replies.