Tom Cleverley | 2010/11 Performances (on loan at Wigan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah god knows what the idea is - playing a back three against a team that are all about width seems a bit backwards, it's obviously going to force the two wide men back plenty and Cleverley's just not a left wing-back.

Yeh I agree. Martinez's intention was to probably be more offensive by going 3 at the back but it's actually gone the other way because they're having 5 back on most occasions now.

A real tactical boob by Martinez although it hasn't helped that his team simply haven't tuned up.

Edit: Also, I wonder when the first "sign Tiote" thread will appear based on this performance from him.

Tiote is a decent player and he has enjoyed a very productive season. But I wouldn't want him at United. He'd slow our tempo down too much.

Tiote is a decent player and he has enjoyed a very productive season. But I wouldn't want him at United. He'd slow our tempo down too much.

I don't think that's true at all. He usually gets rid of the ball fairly quickly and usually is a sideways direction.

Anyway, we're well off topic. Admittedly it was my fault :)

Disappointing from Tom today on the whole. He wasn't given much help by his teammates though. Wigan were terrible.

I don't think that's true at all. He usually gets rid of the ball fairly quickly and usually is a sideways direction.

Anyway, we're well off topic. Admittedly it was my fault :)

Yeah, he gets rid quickly, but it's normally a very short pass. Put simply, it's an extra cog in the machine and one that we don't really need. I think that we should be looking for a midfielder who gets the defensive job done but is also gifted on the ball.

But yeah, off topic.

Give Cleverley the ball in the right area and he'll make a good cross, or get a good shot on goal. He's obviously not a winger though, he's not especially quick, and he was certainly weaker physically than Danny Simpson was today.

Give Cleverley the ball in the right area and he'll make a good cross, or get a good shot on goal. He's obviously not a winger though, he's not especially quick, and he was certainly weaker physically than Danny Simpson was today.

He's more of an Arsenal type wide player who likes to cut inside then the typical United winger who gets to the byeline, although he can do that too, it's not his strength.

I would probably prefer him to be recalled as he is definitely the better option than Obertan at the moment (who would really benefit from a loan and regular football).

I think Cleverly clearly has that class about him.

I am quite excited about his progress and hope he makes it at United.

Poor bastard having to play with that lot mind

That was my thought exactly watching the game tonight. He'd have to be Lionel "God of Football" Messi and then some to have any chance of portraying himself in a positive light out there today!

That said, he didn't really look any better or any worse than the majority of the lot, but he certainly wasn't the culprit of their poor performance by any means.

are we getting him back?

Looked good whenever I seen him (which isnt much admittedly)

Wigan fan at work claims there's talk of us taking him back in return for them getting Obertan for the rest of the season.

Would make sense I guess, though rumours whihc make sense are often the moes to be most wary of, as they are the ones which are likely to be made up!

Wigan fan at work claims there's talk of us taking him back in return for them getting Obertan for the rest of the season.

Would make sense I guess, though rumours whihc make sense are often the moes to be most wary of, as they are the ones which are likely to be made up!

Not sure a loan would suit Oberton, his confidence could take a fatal blow if a move didnt work out for him...

Interesting. Cleverley is more versatile and would probably make more of an impact than Obertan would for us this season, and we wouldnt be leaving Wigan totally up shit creek without a paddle. With regular games Obertan could make a big impact there.

Sounds like bullshit but I would be quite happy with that.

Not sure a loan would suit Oberton, his confidence could take a fatal blow if a move didnt work out for him...

It could, but on the other hand it could be the makings of the lad.

At Wigan he could get more regular first team football in a less pressurised environment. If he only plays the odd game here and there for us, it's more likely that he'll have failed cameos like the West Brom game, which would do even greater harm to his confidence.

Some sites are beginning to report that he is to return to us on the 9th January after his agency run facebook page said that he would be returning for talks with SAF.
The result of those talks he said were "quite positive" and he stated that he would have "3 more games at Wigan" as SAF is rumoured to want him for our final push.

Some sites are beginning to report that he is to return to us on the 9th January after his agency run facebook page said that he would be returning for talks with SAF.
The result of those talks he said were "quite positive" and he stated that he would have "3 more games at Wigan" as SAF is rumoured to want him for our final push.

That'sa bit misleading really. I can't remember the quote on his facebook word for word but it was something along the lines of "The meesting with SAF was quite positive but nothing's sorted yet. All I know is that i'll be at wigan for the next 3 games."

Not seen much of him until this season but Im still really looking forward to him in our side :)

isnt he ineligible for the cup games?
I dont think he played in the league cup for wigan

He's not in our squad, but I'm thinking Beckham.

I've not seen much of Tom mind you.

I remember when he was playing for our Reserves, he actually said once in an interview that his idol is David Beckham and that he models part of his game on Beckham. Not a bad player to look up to in terms of technique and professionalism, not saying that Cleverley will ever be as good as Beckham was at crossing, passing, set pieces etc but he is a different type of midfielder. More of a dribbler for one.

park has done great for us over the last few months - he's scored more than cleverly as well surely?

where statto?

Its not all stats im talking here or dissing park in anyway i just see them as both versatile players, Cleverley has more flair, and is likely to weigh in with more goals than Park is.
Park does however fall over every time he passes or shoots or scores!

Re:CW1984
i read the same thing, the journos have obviously interpreted that as 3 games left which means he should be back on Sunday. However to say he had positive talks and he would be there for the next 3 games...for once you cannot really blame them

Beckham the player famed for his crossing, set pieces and long passing and Cleverley the player who excels at none of those?!

I think you've probably seen Toms goal against West Ham, and its reminded you of Beckhams goal against Spurs at OT about a decade ago.

Cleverleys technically sound for a wide player like Beckham was of course, but aside from that they dont compare at all.

Parks the closest if you had to compare him to a current United player, but Iniestas the most similar in terms of style that i can think of.

I think it was Boothy who suggested that the three games he said he was going to be at Wigan for would cover until N'Zogbia returns from suspension, which does make sense.

Cleverley is a central midfielder who is capable of playing on the wing.

Nah, too general for me. He's an attacking midfielder that can be deployed either through the centre or out wide. Most likely destined to have his shot out wide for us this season. Never played senior football as a CM. Not defensively diciplined for that yet I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.