Tom Cleverley | 2010/11 Performances (on loan at Wigan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Ben Hibbs' twiter:

SAF plans talks with Martinez re Cleverley, says #mufc are light in wide areas with Park away till end Jan, Valencia not back till end Feb

Looks like he's coming back.

A more pressing matter might be the future of Cleverley, who, despite niggling injuries, has impressed on loan at Wigan. “He’s done very well. But I’ve not discussed it further with Wigan who we have a great relationship with. I agreed with Roberto that we’d talk about it in January.

“We’re a bit light in wide positions – we’ve lost Ji-sung Park for the whole of January and we’ve not got Antonio Valencia back until hopefully the end of February. So I will talk with Roberto in January.”
From the United website.

If Cleverley is still with Wigan on the 2nd Jan then we'll be able to watch him...the match against Newcastle is being shown on Sky.

Cleverley would be a huge loss to Wigan. Could make the difference between being relegated and not.

Most clubs competing for a title would not give a feck, but Fergie would not take a decison on this lightly.

I guess if James McCarthy came back it would take the pressure off? He played in a similar role to Cleverley.

Cleverley would be a huge loss to Wigan. Could make the difference between being relegated and not.

Most clubs competing for a title would not give a feck, but Fergie would not take a decison on this lightly.

I guess if James McCarthy came back it would take the pressure off? He played in a similar role to Cleverley.

He looks a bit of a player from what I've seen of him..

Nani/Giggs/Obertan/Bebe' Shift Rooney left, Play Fletcher Right..

I'd say we can let Tom progress with Wigan.

Cleverley may well be a better option than Bebe or Obertan and it would not hurt to have him back as cover. He would not need to be in the 25 man squad due to his age. I'd really like to see him return as I think Fergie would have more faith in Cleverley than Bebe and Obertan.

Said in the Beckham thread I could see United recalling him and we will find out shortly. This thing with playing the next three games could be to give them cover for the loss of Nzogbia. If Fergie was convinced Cleverley would be best served developing with Wigan then he would not have been having these discussions about were to go next.

We are sure to find out by the time the cup game happens as if we want him back he won't be cup-tied that's for sure.

Its a decision that does require a bit of thought because its been a very productive loan move so far, but ultimately i think he'll be recalled, mainly because of how tight the league is this season and the very fine margins that could decide it. A couple of injuries for us in wide areas could make a massive difference to our title aspirations and i think the temptation of recalling a player who is fresh, versatile and inform would be too much to turn down.

Why the houllier then as it was a genuine question ? No other meaning meant

And it's a fair question. If we commit to return him to Wigan, only for him to be outstanding throughout January, we'd feel sick letting him go at the end of the month. Doubt Wigan would be willing to enter into a deal which allows us cancel it with as little notice as that though.

I wouldn't worry though. He's a good young player but he's not going to make that kind of impact.

I don't know if SAF has said anything regarding Cleverley, but I really think we need him back whilst Park is away and Valencia injured. Gibson & Ando are not wingers, bring Cleverley back for the month and then loan him out again, don't see what the harm would be doing that.

Would it be possible for us to recall him for the duration of January then send him back when we have Park back?

He's had 2 good efforts on goal but he's been very quiet on the whole.

Had another chance after the curling shot - Diame played a ball maybe slightly behind him but, was a good chance and put it over. Unfortunately had to go do other things so didn't catch must of the first half.

Edit: Oh yeah and SAF/Phelan are at the game as well watching. They caught SAF with a big yawn.

Wigan have been poor, Clev's been decent when involved. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets a goal in the second half.

I hope we recall this lad back. We need all the bodies we can back for the second half of the season when the CL resumes, especially if Kiko goes out on loan, Michael Owen not exactly dependable and Valencia may take a while to get back to rhythm.

He seems to be playing left back now.

Yeah god knows what the idea is - playing a back three against a team that are all about width seems a bit backwards, it's obviously going to force the two wide men back plenty and Cleverley's just not a left wing-back.

Status
Not open for further replies.