Tom Cleverley | 2010/11 Performances (on loan at Wigan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't mean to turn this thread into a discussion of James Milner but I think he's absolutely quality. Almost always makes the right decision both with and without the ball, will work all day and can play any position you decide to put him into. A player who I genuinely think would get into any team in the world. Decision making is so underrated I feel, and his is exemplary.

Are you fecking high? Seriously have a word :wenger:

Any idea if he's expected to play for Wigan this weekend?

Oh and :lol: @ 'Milner would get into any side in the world'

I just don't know why that is so funny? Pedro is a young guy who while looking very talented with a fantastic eye for goal is not as effective or proven as Milner at the minute. Keita is a very good player but I see nothing in what he does that Milner couldn't do, would even say Milner is the more incisive passer.

Put it this way, if I'd said the same thing about David Silva a year ago many people on here would be supporting me. Since then, Silva has gone to City for less money than Milner (I know you can't solely judge a player from their transfer value but its an indication) and Milner is the one who gets the nod in the team, and seems to be the more important player for them. (Again I recognise that Silva is still adjusting)

I think this is a case of people not realising the improvement in the last couple of years from a player we have all become quite familiar with.

Milner is better than Keita. I don't think you can compare to Pedro because they are very different. Milner would get into: Arsenal, Liverpool, he is better than Anderson - United?, I rate him higher than Khedira, and so I don't think the statement is as strange as it sounds at first.

When scholesy is your only ally regarding a player's evaluation then you should know that you automatically wrong.

I would definitely say Milner would give Pedro a run for his money, even Keita when he plays.

... really? I mean just really, one of the most exciting young players in the world or Milner... hmmm.

When scholesy is your only ally regarding a player's evaluation then you should know that you automatically wrong.

Actually I think Scholsey has thought about and come up with a fair perspective. Can I turn the question around, what side in the world would he not get into? Barcelona has been mentioned and while it can be put down to preference it is surely not ridiculous to suggest Milner could play ahead of Pedro or Keita, what other side would he not get into?

He would be very much competing for a place in any side in the world, to anyone who thinks about it I think this would become obvious.

Actually I think Scholsey has thought about and come up with a fair perspective. Can I turn the question around, what side in the world would he not get into? Barcelona has been mentioned and while it can be put down to preference it is surely not ridiculous to suggest Milner could play ahead of Pedro or Keita, what other side would he not get into?

He would be very much competing for a place in any side in the world, to anyone who thinks about it I think this would become obvious.

There's now a thread for this:

https://www.redcafe.net/f7/would-james-milner-get-into-any-side-world-311226/

... really? I mean just really, one of the most exciting young players in the world or Milner... hmmm.

How often have you watched Pedro? Many Barcelona fans are still not 100% convinced, he's got a fantastic eye for goal and always seems to be in the right place at the right time but his defensive work is nowhere near the level of Milner's and actually on general play I would give Milner the edge as well. I would say that he is a better passer and crosser of the ball.

For me actually it would not be a hugely difficult decision, I would have Milner in that team every time. In reference to Scholsey yes they are different players but having Milner in that team would perhaps even increase Barcelona's fluidity as it could liberate Iniesta from some of his defensive responsibilities so while nominally Milner would be taking Pedro's position their roles in the team would be quite different.

Seemed like a good idea at the time, but its looking like a bad one at the moment. Would have started tonight (left midfield) imo and his major qualities are exactly what we're missing at the moment. Energy in midfield, ability to retain possession, an eye for a pass, and a scoring threat from midfield.

Can't wait til January. He'll surely be on the way back

I'm hoping he actually gets a few games for Wigan before we bring him back, the last thing we want is to be bringing him back in January having not played a bloody game.

Hopefully Cleverly will come back stronger and really stake a claim.

Cleverley will be a big player for us, I'm hugely confident of that.

me too :) it's just a pity he's had this injury. Hopefully he's getting games but haven't followed wigan at all

me too :) it's just a pity he's had this injury. Hopefully he's getting games but haven't followed wigan at all

He's had a knee injury so not played really, he featured for England under 21's though so hopefully he'll get a game this weekend against Bolton.

He's had a knee injury so not played really, he featured for England under 21's though so hopefully he'll get a game this weekend against Bolton.

He played around 15 minutes last week, when Wigan blew their 2 goal lead at Newcastle. They were up 2-1 when he came on, individually he didn't exactly set the place on fire, but neither did he stink the joint up.

He played around 15 minutes last week, when Wigan blew their 2 goal lead at Newcastle. They were up 2-1 when he came on, individually he didn't exactly set the place on fire, but neither did he stink the joint up.

Ah really? I didn't see any of that game.

15 minute cameo isn't really anything to judge one way or another, lets hope he starts this afternoon..

On the bench again today I see. What a successful experiment this has been so far. If Marrtinez thinks so much of him, why not play him?

There's been a strong indication by SAF that we'll call him back in January, perhaps Martinez doesn't want to become dependent on a player he knows is going back to his parent club?

Wigan play Swansea in the Carling Cup at home on Tuesday. Should start.

There's a short video of his performance for Wigan in a game where he came on as a sub on youtube.

Kamara just said he should have been brought on earlier he's 'an absolute star' and that he's now at the heart of everything Wigan do. :devil:

Classy 15 min cameo, surely he'll be a starter from now on.

i really like him
great player

best thing is he makes sure he is involved .. doesnt shy away
hope to see him start a lot more

Status
Not open for further replies.