Tom Cleverley | 2010/11 Performances (on loan at Wigan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ferguson: He could be the next top player to come through

Author: Ben Moss
Posted on:06 October 2010 - 09:11

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson believes Tom Cleverley has the ability to break into the first team and has confirmed he intends to recall the 21-year-old from his loan spell with Wigan Athletic in January.

The England Under-21 star was initially going to be retained at Old Trafford this season to compete with the first team, prior to a late change of heart from Ferguson, which resulted in Cleverly moving to the DW Stadium, but the Old Trafford supremo suggests the midfielder could be the next great talent to emerge through the Reds’ ranks.

The Manchester United manager told Inside United Magazine: “We’ll probably bring Tom back in January,

"Tom’s going to be a great footballer, I really like him. I’ve heard the fans are starting to talk about Tom, and I think they’re right to do that because he could very well be the next top player to come through the ranks."

Although Ferguson confirmed his intention to recall Cleverly, the Scot believes six months away from Old Trafford will serve the precocious former Watford loanee in good stead, not least because the arrival of Bebe in the summer may have hindered the midfielder’s first team opportunities had he remained with the Red Devils.

Ferguson continued: "When we signed Bebe it gave me a problem in terms of our 25-man Premier League squad. Not because Tom is ineligible – he’s young and English so he fits nicely into the criteria – but because he was an extra player and somebody else to keep happy and find a spot for.

"I felt it could be hard to give him enough football.
I think five or six months on loan could really help him – he’ll benefit from first-team football in the Premier League."

Look at that, even SAF think's it gets difficult with too many players ;)

I guess the fact that our midfield had been so shit in the past few weeks may had forced SAF's hand to recall players in that area who can give him new options. Cleverley is a decent winger/midfielder who can score goals 2 things that we seem to lack.

A good problem.

Not if they are injured or terribly out of form!

I think recalling Cleverley makes sense, and I don't think SAF was that keen to loan him initially (it was instigated at the request of Cleverley reportedly) hence the loan only being 6 months so he could recall him.

He's comfortable playing on the left and can score and create goals and has great energy, we could really do with him now and give Bebe time to settle.

Oh hi, SAF, why did you say in that interview that he'd be coming back in January then?

Fergie also said he wasn't going on loan this season.

Then he did.

Fergie says a lot of things. Sometimes he means them, sometimes he doesn't sometimes he changes his mind.

We'll weigh it all in January and unless we have a major injury crisis and Tom isn't getting enough playing time, we'll let him stay at Wigan.

Then he did.

Fergie says a lot of things. Sometimes he means them, sometimes he doesn't sometimes he changes his mind.

We'll weigh it all in January and unless we have a major injury crisis and Tom isn't getting enough playing time, we'll let him stay at Wigan.

He wasn't going to send him on loan but Cleverley himself went to SAF and told him of his concern of a lack of opportunities and so they decided to give him a loan to x-mas. With the injury to Valencia there is far more chance now of first team football as Giggs won't play consecutive games and no one else has made a convincing replacement on the left as yet.

Then he did.

We have a bit of a crisis on the wing as it is.

Unless Bebe or Obertan prove their ready for first team action before January then I imagine Cleverly will be back. Potentially with one of the other two going out on loan themselves.

Good draw, thought Welbeck was top quality in the lone role up front once Sturridge went off.

Roberto Martinez on Cleverley: "It's only a matter of time before Tom is playing at the very top level with United. It's not if, but when."
36 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone Retweeted by BenHibbs and 10 others

Roberto Martinez on Cleverley: "It's only a matter of time before Tom is playing at the very top level with United. It's not if, but when."
36 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone Retweeted by BenHibbs and 10 others

A longer version of the story:

Boss tips maturing youngster for regular United role

Wigan Athletic boss Roberto Martinez believes Manchester United are inevitably going to recall Tom Cleverley from his loan spell at the DW Stadium particularly following the injury sustained by Antonio Valencia.

Sir Alex Ferguson recently suggested he would bring the England Under-21 star back to Old Trafford in January, and although the midfielder has endured a frustrating few months at Wigan due to fitness concerns, Martinez believes the youngster is likely to become a first team regular for the Red Devils in the not too distant future.

Martinez told the Wigan Evening Post: “Obviously the injury to Antonio Valencia has increased the chance of Tom going back to United,
"There has been no contact between the two sides, but it is only natural what is occurring because Tom is such a good player.

"We all know how highly United rate Tom - that's why we had to do everything we could to get him here in the first place.

"I have always said that we have to enjoy him for every day he is here - just as we want Tom to enjoy being here at Wigan Athletic. And that's all that matters, for however long that period might be.

"It's only a matter of time before Tom is playing at the very top level with United. It's not if, but when."

Like him, think he could be our Milner.

Nah, different type of players. Cleverley is potentially a classier style of player than Milner imo. hes more about intelligent movement and timing, coupled with ability and technique. He doesnt shag sheep either

I can see the similarity. Milner's technique is no worse than Cleverley's IMO.

Tom does seem to be a bit more prolific though. I don't think Milner was as much of a goal threat when he was the same age.

I can see the similarity. Milner's technique is no worse than Cleverley's IMO.

Tom does seem to be a bit more prolific though. I don't think Milner was as much of a goal threat when he was the same age.

Yea I agree in terms of what we've seen so far but lets not forget that Milner left school to play for Leeds aged 6 or something!!!!

Experience wise Cleverley is where Milner was about 5 seasons ago! All speculation on my part obviously but I think Cleverely has a more natural football brain. Time and time again his teammates at Watford would miss read his intentions, other than lansbury tbf. Its all in his name ;)

I think Tom's going to be more like Park, but he's also going to score plenty of goals.

I agree with the Park comparison too.

I happen to think all three bring very similar qualities to the team. Bags of energy, really hard workers and always looking to get involved. Park is a bit more intelligent with his movement (which is to be expected, as the most experienced player) but Cleverley/Milner are a bit quicker and more direct, plus have a better delivery from wide areas (in open play and from set-pieces)

I hate the Milner comparisons, they are lazy. Although they play in similar positions and are versatile Milner's games is all about power and workrate whereas Tom has far more finesse and subtlety in his game.

I hate the Milner comparisons, they are lazy. Although they play in similar positions and are versatile Milner's games is all about power and workrate whereas Tom has far more finesse and subtlety in his game.

Dunno about "power" because he's definitely got a slighter frame but workrate has been a major feature of Cleverley's game whenever I've watched him.

I also think he'll develop into our long term set-piece taker, not necessarily direct free kicks but crosses from distance and corners.

Just don't really agree with that. Basically people are saying Cleverly is much better on the ball than a guy who was recently transferred for something like £28million pounds. It just doesn't hold, I would be absolutely over the moon if Cleverly can become the player Milner is.

Just don't really agree with that. Basically people are saying Cleverly is much better on the ball than a guy who was recently transferred for something like £28million pounds. It just doesn't hold, I would be absolutely over the moon if Cleverly can become the player Milner is.

I never said Milner isn't effective and the fee was ridiculous so not really worth mentioning. They are different types of player was the main point hence why I don't think comparing them has any value.

Do you think United would have payed 28million? Chelsea? Arsenal? Liverpool?
City were looking to spend their money and payed the fee. Cleverly is young but I wouldn't swap him for Milner put it that way.

Do you think United would have payed 28million? Chelsea? Arsenal? Liverpool?
City were looking to spend their money and payed the fee. Cleverly is young but I wouldn't swap him for Milner put it that way.

Come on, seriously? Milner is a top quality international and I do believe that if the price had been around £20 million we would have been very interested. Surely if given the option one would have to swap the guy with potential for the proven international who is still 24 any time.

Come on, seriously? Milner is a top quality international and I do believe that if the price had been around £20 million we would have been very interested. Surely if given the option one would have to swap the guy with potential for the proven international who is still 24 any time.

The thing is Milner isn't actually that good. He's a good player but nothing special. I don't believe he's as good as Valencia for example.

I wouldn't swap Cleverly either, not because he's currently better than Milner, but because I'd like to think he has the potential to surpass Milner's ability.

Don't mean to turn this thread into a discussion of James Milner but I think he's absolutely quality. Almost always makes the right decision both with and without the ball, will work all day and can play any position you decide to put him into. A player who I genuinely think would get into any team in the world. Decision making is so underrated I feel, and his is exemplary.

Don't mean to turn this thread into a discussion of James Milner but I think he's absolutely quality. Almost always makes the right decision both with and without the ball, will work all day and can play any position you decide to put him into. A player who I genuinely think would get into any team in the world. Decision making is so underrated I feel, and his is exemplary.

In the world???

Who would he replace at Barca for example?

Status
Not open for further replies.