Tom Cleverley | 2010/11 Performances (on loan at Wigan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is ready for United - I am not usually gonna say that about player after seeing him play 10 mins - but I am gonna stick my neck out here

He has so much energy - and now he seems to have taken giant leaps in terms of confidence and skill with the ball. We need to get him back in january! Would be interesting to see Cleverley as an attacking midfielder in a 4-3-3 system

He is ready for United - I am not usually gonna say that about player after seeing him play 10 mins - but I am gonna stick my neck out here

He has so much energy - and now he seems to have taken giant leaps in terms of confidence and skill with the ball. We need to get him back in january! Would be interesting to see Cleverley as an attacking midfielder in a 4-3-3 system

Didn't Fergie already say that's exactly what he was going to do?

Would be nice if he was getting more than 10 minutes a game. A few starts against PL opponents to really judge where he is. I've watched him a fair bit, and it looks like he has all the tools necessary. As I said though, it would be nice to see him boss a few matches for Wigan.

Would be nice if he was getting more than 10 minutes a game. A few starts against PL opponents to really judge where he is. I've watched him a fair bit, and it looks like he has all the tools necessary. As I said though, it would be nice to see him boss a few matches for Wigan.

Wasnt he out injuried for a while though? I agree though i hope he does start a lot more now, ive seen very little of the lad but a few people who watched the match were telling me that he looked a star, i'll like to make my own judgement but its nice to hear

Only saw the very brief highlights on MOTD but there is just something about this lad that makes me think he'll be a star here. As an AM in a midfield 3 I think he can be dynamite.

Wigan fan that sits across from me at work is furious that Tom isn't getting more playing time. Says that Martinez did the same with Scott Sinclair last season...

To be fair he's been injured hasn't he? I expect him to play week in week out now he's fit and McCarthy is out for 10 weeks.

To be fair he's been injured hasn't he? I expect him to play week in week out now he's fit and McCarthy is out for 10 weeks.

Disappointing that after coming back from injury last week to play 11 minutes, this weekend he played a whole... 7 minutes.

It's all a bit "Rossi at Newcastle".

We'll see...

Disappointing that after coming back from injury last week to play 11 minutes, this weekend he played a whole... 7 minutes.

It's all a bit "Rossi at Newcastle".

We'll see...

Wigan's results have improved recently so why would Martinez change the side? It's unfortunate for Tom and United, but it's perfectly understandable.

Wigan's results have improved recently so why would Martinez change the side? It's unfortunate for Tom and United, but it's perfectly understandable.

Well this is the same Martinez who in a recent interview said,

"Without a doubt we need more homegrown players. English clubs should aim to have a core of English, or at least British players, but more than that I believe that as a country we should be doing more to develop our own young players.

"There is massive room for improvement in that area. Look at other leagues – Holland, Spain, Italy – and they all help youngsters reach their potential better than we do. In England at the moment only the outstanding players are coming through. Whatever structure you have some players will always be good enough to make it, but the problem here is that there is nothing underneath"

Well this is the same Martinez who in a recent interview said,

"Without a doubt we need more homegrown players. English clubs should aim to have a core of English, or at least British players, but more than that I believe that as a country we should be doing more to develop our own young players.

"There is massive room for improvement in that area. Look at other leagues – Holland, Spain, Italy – and they all help youngsters reach their potential better than we do. In England at the moment only the outstanding players are coming through. Whatever structure you have some players will always be good enough to make it, but the problem here is that there is nothing underneath"

Ok, but that's not really relevant to my point?

Would you change team on a good run to play an English player who isn't even yours?

Ok, but that's not really relevant to my point?
Would you change team on a good run to play an English player who isn't even yours?

Maybe not but it's certainly relevant to the earlier point. Martinez is fond of the odd soundbite but doesn't back it up with actions.

Give it time.... He'll probably start next week. He can't just walk into the side, he was always going to have to fight for his place. The injury didn't help.

:wenger:

Injured again?

Seems like Martinez knowing we'll take him in January has really backfired.

Recall reading last time Wigan played that Untied didn't want him cup tied as to why he wasn't in the squad.

Excellent. I was going to play a bit of PS3 while I was waiting for our match, but now I'll watch this. Hopefully he'll have a good one.

I was gunna do the same but all the streams seem a bit shit.

Played the full 90 minutes for Wigan today. Was a poor team performance by all accounts. I couldnt find out much about how he he played except this quote on a message forum

Hero : Cleverly, he looked the business today, shame United would never sell him to us.
Villain : Stam, time after time he was too weak, or just wasn't there

Status
Not open for further replies.