Tom Cleverley | 2010/11 Performances (on loan at Wigan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly not working out. He's better off playing for our reserves than sitting on a bench at fecking Wigan.

We'll end his loan soon, surely.

Well sky sports gave him an 8 in their ratings, so you would assume he was reasonably decent. Though they seem to have given half the Wigan team an 8, and neither sky or the BBC mentioned him in their match report. So in short- no idea.

From Goal.com

Tom Cleverley 7.0

The on-loan midfielder had a good game, he looked calm and in control against his opponents and his trickery helped create some of Wigan's best chances. He switched wings with N'Zogbia on regular occasions and looked comfortable on both sides as Liverpool's defence struggled to cope.

Wigan forums:

He was great in that attacking midfield role, picked up lots of loose balls and distributed greatly, Gomez has been playing good lately but I think Cleverley plays a lot better there than he does on the left wing

Reads the game well, not afraid of sticking a tackle in, plays physical, good with the ball at his feet, clever & good range of passing and full of energy. For a youngster, he's pretty much the complete midfielder and was in my opinion a contender for MOM tonight.

He was one of many who played well tonight.

Got to say though, I really think he has CLASS!

Very impressed with Cleverley. Hope he gets more games for us

Cleverley was very good like you say Tuggers

First time i have ever seen cleverley play and i think he's really good should be used alot more!

And these are all the mentions of him I could find, so I haven't just left the negative ones out.

Great news. I really have had high hopes for Tom for a while now. Hope he gets a few games for them.

I am split on weather I want him back in Jan though. If he does come I can't see him getting too many matches in the middle. On the wing perhaps with Valencia out but still think he'll be better off at Wigan playing regularly.

I watched 20 minutes of that Wigan game and he was bright. I really like the signs.

My major points that I'd like to point out are.
1. He's always ready and shows the body language that he is ready to receive the ball.
2. His awareness of the man behind him, its like top players.. They know and understand the current position and they choose a good pass at the right time... Very mature imo.
3. He's dribbling wasn't bad, there was a time Konchesky just lunged at him and he scooped the ball and attracted a foul, good job for me.
4. His short passing was good, rarely you would see a mistake and he doesn't pass the ball and pressures his team mates.

That was from the 20 minutes I watched and Wigan actually scored.

He played centrally, then?

If he starts playing regularly, it'll probably be worth keeping him there till the end of the season. Glad he's being appreciated by the Wigan fans, anyway.

He played centrally, then?

If he starts playing regularly, it'll probably be worth keeping him there till the end of the season. Glad he's being appreciated by the Wigan fans, anyway.

No, but he looked good when he drifted central though.

He and N'Zogbia had the freedom to roam... You'd see him right then left then center... He was everywhere.

Does he have the speed to play on the wings at United? Otherwise I would imagine an attacking midfielder role for him.

He's quicker than Fletcher but slower than Nani.

Anyhow, wingers don't need super speed + skill to be successful, if they know how to cross and have end product.

Or be Park-like. It's sort of the Arsenal mould of winger - skillful and tidy, not a traditional winger but works there. He's tenacious and hard working, used to be a left back I think so is no doubt used to playing in that area. I'd like to think he'll end up centrally, but I'm trying to think of what role he'd fill. Fletch-type, bustle with ability on the ball and a better goal return? Wouldn't mind that at all.

Or be Park-like. It's sort of the Arsenal mould of winger - skillful and tidy, not a traditional winger but works there. He's tenacious and hard working, used to be a left back I think so is no doubt used to playing in that area. I'd like to think he'll end up centrally, but I'm trying to think of what role he'd fill. Fletch-type, bustle with ability on the ball and a better goal return? Wouldn't mind that at all.

No, most people who have saw Cleverly would rather him play the Scholes role or you can say central of MF.

As the above I already mentioned his good qualities, the way he is available for the ball, the awareness and the good short passing is really mature for a youngster, should be allowed to try that role a bit more as I mean Wilshere was given a chance there we would love to see young Cleverly try it.

Not sure about that, Scholes is possibly the most talented player we've had through the ranks in decades. I like Tom, but he's not that good. That's not putting him down, it's just comparing him to Scholes.

As part of a midfield trio certainly appears to suit him. From what i've seen i'd be unsure of sticking him in a central midfield 2.

Yeh I could definitely imagine him playing the left wing the way Park plays it for us. In terms of his positioning rather than work rate etc..

Not sure about that, Scholes is possibly the most talented player we've had through the ranks in decades. I like Tom, but he's not that good. That's not putting him down, it's just comparing him to Scholes.

No one is comparing him to Scholes, most were assuming the possibilites of Cleverly playing in the center with a more attacking role likes Scholes.

Left wing ? Not too sure about that but Cleverly sure is versatile and its just good to see him getting minutes in the PL.

I'm keeping my tabs on Wigan just for Cleverly so I hope they play him more.

I could see Tom starting on the left and drifting in whilst also switching with Nani when both play. or sticking there if its him and valencia. Or playing with all three and him in the centre cos as said, he is quite versatile. Dont know if thats a good thing or not anymore as he wont have a stick on position, but hes extremely talented and there is something wrong if hes not given a chance or doesnt make it with us.

Neither was Scholes at 20.

He was already technically outstanding with a superb reading of the game.

No one is comparing him to Scholes, most were assuming the possibilites of Cleverly playing in the center with a more attacking role likes Scholes.

Left wing ? Not too sure about that but Cleverly sure is versatile and its just good to see him getting minutes in the PL.

I'm keeping my tabs on Wigan just for Cleverly so I hope they play him more.

That's simplifying Scholes' role too much. Can Cleverley stroll around the centre circle, pinging 50 hard passes onto the toe of a winger time after time? Can he take the one touch to create space in a crowd of players to retain possession throughout a match? Constantly be aware of who's around him?

My point was that it's overly optimistic to expect him to play the role of one of the best midfielders of our generation. If you just mean an attacking midfielder that can score goals, okay, but that isn't the "Scholes role".

Am I right in saying that his style is pretty similar to James Milner?

Only really in his versatility, being able to play anywhere across the midfield.

I think Milner relies a lot more on his athleticism, and having a decent cross/ shot on him. Cleverleys better qualities in my opinion are nice give and go short passing, retaining possession, incisive throughballs and timing of his runs into the box.

I'm gonna get myself a Cleverley shirt, and when people will ask who the hell is he I'll say "just you watch..." :cool: and in 2 years when he's a regular for us I'll be able to say "told you so".

That's how confident I'm about him making it.

Manchester United - United youngster embarrasses Liverpool!

United youngster embarrasses Liverpool!

On Wednesday, while United and City's relative midfields were taking up a strategy of confrontation similar to those in parts of World War I, in the sense that both sides were camped in their own territory and rarely advancing, Wigan Athletic were pushing Liverpool onto the back foot, with the creativity of Charles N'Zogbia and Tom Cleverley attacking forward from midfield.

21 year old Manchester United midfielder Cleverley took the Championship by storm last season with a series of superb performances for Watford, which helped bring the youngster to the attention of both Sir Alex Ferguson and England under 21 manager Stuart Pearce.

An excellent talent, Cleverley was again farmed out, this time to Premier League strugglers Wigan Athletic, similarly to Chelsea youngster Scott Sinclair, who is now firing for Swansea City in the Championship. Say what you want about Lucas and Raul Meireles, they both struggled to deal with Cleverley's willingness to get the ball down in the ground, in a style that no doubt will have made him popular with manager Roberto Martinez, the way the Spanish manager likes his teams to play.

It's not the first strong performance from the youngster this season; his assist for Alcaraz's equaliser against Sunderland and his performance against Bolton both showing that despite having been picked for less than half of Wigan's Premier League games so far this season, Cleverley is impressing a lot more than players Ferguson didn't loan out like Darron Gibson and is starting to put in consistent high quality performances that should soon see him as the possible replacement for Paul Scholes that Gibson simply doesn't quite look capable of.

United need a player with the ability to break forward down the middle like Lampard does for Chelsea and Gerrard does for Liverpool and Tom Cleverley might just be that man.

Am I right in saying that his style is pretty similar to James Milner?

Same here. I know most ppl over here don t rate milner but i still think he s a good midfielder though not top class.

Cleverley imo has the potential to be even better, though that remains to be seen

I'm still gutted we loaned him out. He's done very well to find his form after injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.