Tom Cleverley | 2010/11 Performances (on loan at Wigan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather see Obertan get a chance on the left too. I've said before that this season should be a big season for him in terms of developing into a United player. i'd like to see him get his chance to shine now.

It's a season long deal though isn't it?

I assume we can get him back in January but we would have to pay a penalty??

Not playing against City, apparently he has picked up a knock in training.

I was wondering why he wasn't even on the bench after he made such a positive start in his 1st game..

Really looking forward to seeing what becomes of Cleverly. Hopefully he will be able to over come this injury and come back shining

Crap. Been a bad month for our loanees. King, James and Cleverley all crocked.

.jpeg

The One disagrees!

That link above from Wigantoday - it says that United didn't want him cup-tied and as such wouldn't have played today anyway.

I guess I must be wrong in thinking that season-long loaned players can't be recalled otherwise why would it matter if he played.

Guess maybe in January he could be an option to recall if Valencia isn't recovering well.

He's not in the Wigan squad today either, which is a surprise because the reports in the week were that he would be in contention for a starting place. Suppose the injury is proving more complicated than first imagined.

Man United to recall Cleverley from Wigan in January

Wigan are eager to keep Tom Cleverley this winter but Sir Alex Ferguson is set to resist any temptation to let the Manchester United midfielder continue his loan spell at the DW Stadium.

Wigan beat off a whole host of admirers to sign Cleverley on a temporary deal this summer but he has endured a frustrating time so far.

The midfielder has made just one appearance - although it was his shot that lead to Wigan's equaliser against Sunderland last month - but he has since been missing with an ankle injury.

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez wants to keep the 21-year-old longer to give him more first team opportunities but Ferguson is keen to have Cleverley back at United.

Ferguson originally wanted to keep Cleverley, who was Watford's Player of the Season last year while on loan, at United this summer before changing his mind and letting him go.

And despite a frustrating start to his stint at Wigan, the United manager remains adamant Cleverley will not be extending his loan spell in January and is ready to challenge for a first team place at United.
Man United to recall Cleverley from Wigan in January | talkSPORT

This doesn't make sense, surely we'll wait and see how it goes for him there.

This doesn't make sense, surely we'll wait and see how it goes for him there.

Im guessing with our options on the wings limited due to Valencias injury SAF might want to have him in the squad - but it is a odd one because hes just as inexperienced in playing for the first team as Obertan and Bebe

glad he's coming back - think he could be a suprise package on the left or even as an AM as part of a 3

Im guessing with our options on the wings limited due to Valencias injury SAF might want to have him in the squad - but it is a odd one because hes just as inexperienced in playing for the first team as Obertan and Bebe

I think Cleverley is different from Obertan and Bebe. imo he s more similar to valencia than the other two in the sense that he tracks back a lot more

How well is he suited to play on the right wing? Always thought he's more of a central midfielder than a wide player

How well is he suited to play on the right wing? Always thought he's more of a central midfielder than a wide player
I think he's better wide personally, or as an attacking midfielder. His central midfield days date back from his youth days I'd imagine - I think he was originally a full-back/defensive midfielder, but later discovered he was a lot better closer to the final third.

I was thinking the same thing, he doesn't have blistering pace, an exceptional cross, he beats his man by making clever runs

So far, he's only ever played in wide areas but Sir Alex says he can play anywhere across midfield. I could see him ending up in the middle eventually as i think his style of play is more suited to there (making runs into the box, dribbling left or right, passes through the middle) Not sure why you'd want him playing on the right as Nani and Valencia when he returns have us well stocked there

I think he'll play on the left more often for us, drifting inside, rather than looking to get to the byline and whip crosses in.

He has played more often as a wide player whilst out on loan I believe. I imagine that will continue at United at least in the near future.

I think he'll play on the left more often for us, drifting inside, rather than looking to get to the byline and whip crosses in.

He has played more often as a wide player whilst out on loan I believe. I imagine that will continue at United at least in the near future.

Maybe true but Watford fans were comparing him to Scholes after his loan move there!

I didn't realize we had the option of bringing him back in January, this is great news, hopefully he gets a shot on the left or as part of a midfield 3.

Delighted at this news.

I really think Cleverleys considerable talents will help the team no end. He provides something the current sent of midfielders arent doing consistantly.

Its a big ask for the lad but he's passed every test so far in his career with flying colours. Best of luck to him in the new year....

Ferguson: He could be the next top player to come through

Author: Ben Moss
Posted on:06 October 2010 - 09:11

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson believes Tom Cleverley has the ability to break into the first team and has confirmed he intends to recall the 21-year-old from his loan spell with Wigan Athletic in January.

The England Under-21 star was initially going to be retained at Old Trafford this season to compete with the first team, prior to a late change of heart from Ferguson, which resulted in Cleverly moving to the DW Stadium, but the Old Trafford supremo suggests the midfielder could be the next great talent to emerge through the Reds’ ranks.

The Manchester United manager told Inside United Magazine: “We’ll probably bring Tom back in January,

"Tom’s going to be a great footballer, I really like him. I’ve heard the fans are starting to talk about Tom, and I think they’re right to do that because he could very well be the next top player to come through the ranks."

Although Ferguson confirmed his intention to recall Cleverly, the Scot believes six months away from Old Trafford will serve the precocious former Watford loanee in good stead, not least because the arrival of Bebe in the summer may have hindered the midfielder’s first team opportunities had he remained with the Red Devils.

Ferguson continued: "When we signed Bebe it gave me a problem in terms of our 25-man Premier League squad. Not because Tom is ineligible – he’s young and English so he fits nicely into the criteria – but because he was an extra player and somebody else to keep happy and find a spot for.

"I felt it could be hard to give him enough football. I think five or six months on loan could really help him – he’ll benefit from first-team football in the Premier League."

How is it going to be five or six months? He played twenty minutes and there are only three more months untill January.

Wigan knowing we'll take him in January will also probably affect his playing time, since they won't want to become to reliant on him.

I don't see how openly saying these things is doing any good...

When's he expected back from his injury?

To be quite honest I think Wigan will take advantage of him while the can, they're not really a club who can put a useful player to one side just for fear of becoming reliant on him then losing him, they need to gather points as and when they can.

i love him ... delighted that he might get games for us this season

i always thought it was going to be a 6 month loan with a view to extend ..
it was the same last year at watford as well ..

not that unusual

Status
Not open for further replies.