Tom Cleverley | 2010/11 Performances (on loan at Wigan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really want to derail this thread, I just see red when people use Giggs and Scholes to paint things black. Short replies to those points:

Adding Smalling shouldn't matter. We had five very good centre backs last season, and that's one or two more than any other team had then and have this season. Last year was just a freak thing in that regard.

07/08, yes. But we also had Ronaldo. And the difference between then and last season, was that we had both (or all three of them) in the crucial run in. Had we not lost Rooney to injury late last season, things would most likely have ended differently. Hypotetical, yes, but it shows that having two reliable strikers is a potential liability. It hurt us in 09/10, but not in 07/08.

The strength of our central midfield depends on a couple of variables that are hard to predict, but that SAF and the staff are in a better position to judge than we are: Will Anderson come back soon and progress? Will Carrick have a better season? I don't blame them for believing "yes" to be the correct answer to both.

Scholes and Giggs will remain legends at age 40, 50, 100 etc. On the other hand we need to understand that at their age its unwise to rely too much on them. Im sorry but having a 35 and a 37 yr old as our best creative players is in my opinion wrong. You do have a point in saying that Carrick and Anderson should have better seasons. On the other hand the former is a cultured ball winning player while the latter keeps on insisting in running in midfield, tackling and creating little. Can you see them next season, deliver as much as Giggs/Scholes do? I dont.

If we are not getting a new midfielder then I hope that Cleverley stays and he is given a first team chance. I was impressed by him in the preseason tour and he was certainly our best midfielder against Shitty kids.

I'd have no problem playing a 35 and 37 yr old in our team, as long as they could still perform at the highest level.

DuckerTheTimes

Tom Cleverley, the United midfielder, will now join Wigan on Monday on loan until january.He could be on the bench v west ham 2moz tho#MUFC

It's not a bad move. He'll get a damn sight more football for Wigan than he will for us at the moment, especially now that N'Zogbia looks like he's on the move.

I wanted him to stay. Can't really understand him being on the bench if true because we have lots of players who could be there instead ie Neville, Brown, Gibson...

I wanted him to stay. Can't really understand him being on the bench if true because we have lots of players who could be there instead ie Neville, Brown, Gibson...

He's another attacking option in a game that we can't afford to drop any points. No point having Brown or Neville there because we'll probably already have Rafael/O'Shea + Smalling. No point having Gibson because we'll probably already have Carrick. Cleverley may be preferred to Park, seeings he has a flight to Korea next week.

So whats triggered the change of plans in loaning out Cleverley? Anderson/Carrick impressing in training? Scholes looking fit enough to play a full game a week?

Or a new player coming in? :lol:

So whats triggered the change of plans in loaning out Cleverley? Anderson/Carrick impressing in training? Scholes looking fit enough to play a full game a week?

Or a new player coming in? :lol:

Bebe impressing?

;)

Him and McCarthy would be a very inexperienced CM partnership, so one of them on the wing perhaps

It's not a bad move. He'll get a damn sight more football for Wigan than he will for us at the moment, especially now that N'Zogbia looks like he's on the move.

That's it for me. We had high hopes for him this season but realistically it's difficult to see when and where he would get opportunities in our first team; Carling Cup and FA Cup matches aside. He would have been struggling on the fringes. We are pretty well covered in midfield and on the wings if everyone else is fit.

It's better for him to get solid experience at a Premier League team like Wigan who are in greater need of his services. Considering the way they have been playing I feel more confident of him making an impact there. So maybe Bebe can inherit his place in the cup competitions now to gain some experience?

I don't wanna watch Wigan though! They're shite and, being from Swansea, I bear a bit of a grudge against Martinez

Ah feck, has he gone to Wigan? Thought he'd end up at Bolton.

Well...at least he can't be blamed for any of the goals they let in.

Experience is experience, I guess, and if he's good enough I'm sure he'll shine above the Wigan bullshit. I was just genuinely excited that we had a player here that all the OT staff thought was worth keeping around for the season, for the good of the team - that they thought he was good enough to have an impact this year.

A loan will be good especially if he gets games in central midfield. But if he cant manage that at Wigan and continues to play on the wing, then he's a world away from ready to play there for us.

A loan will be good especially if he gets games in central midfield. But if he cant manage that at Wigan and continues to play on the wing, then he's a world away from ready to play there for us.

He'll play wide or in a an attacking midfield position I would imagine. As I've said numerous times, you are restricting him too much by placing him in central midfield and he has played very little of his career there.

Nzogbia move away from Wigan has fallen through due to not accepting personal terms ... not sure if that will have any impact if the move to Wigan is really happening.

I'd expect him to be used on the wing for Wigan. Their wingers play very advanced too so hopefully he'll get a few goals.

I don't wanna watch Wigan though! They're shite and, being from Swansea, I bear a bit of a grudge against Martinez

Why?

He'll play wide or in a an attacking midfield position I would imagine. As I've said numerous times, you are restricting him too much by placing him in central midfield and he has played very little of his career there.

I dont see why it would be restricting for him. And getting central midfield experience at the likes of Wigan has to be a lot easier than getting it at United. I do like what I've seen of him wide though.

Hmmm. A spanner in the works.

Charles N'Zogbia transfer to Birmingham breaks down

N'Zogbia was Wigan's player of the year in the 2009-10 season
Wigan's Charles N'Zogbia will not be joining Birmingham after failing to agree personal terms.

The prolonged transfer looked sealed when Wigan accepted Birmingham's "club-record fee" for the French winger.

But talks between the 24-year-old and the Blues "broke down irrevocably", according to the St Andrews outfit.

"We did everything that was asked of us and then the goalposts were moved at the last minute," said Birmingham manager Alex McLeish.

"It was very important to us as a club to stick to our principals and look after the long-term interests of Birmingham City as we are custodians of the club.

"We remain ambitious and committed to adding extra quality to the playing squad but this deal became one that was not in the interests of the club.

"The Board worked with me extremely hard to try and get this one over the line and I thank them for their support."

A statement on the club's website added: "Blues remain absolutely determined to signing players who want to come to the West Midlands and play for Birmingham for all the right reasons and senior club personnel will continue to work extremely hard to that end."

N'Zogbia started out in English football at Newcastle following his 2004 move from Le Havre.

He moved to Wigan in January 2009 after falling out of favour at St James' Park and was voted player of the season by players and fans at the DW Stadium last term.

The winger made his France debut earlier this month in Les Bleus' friendly defeat in Norway.

BBC Sport - Football - Charles N'Zogbia transfer to Birmingham breaks down

Me think the N'Zogbia talks really broke down due to the improper pronunciation of Charles' surname on the part of his Geordie manager.

Ekeke; said:
I dont see why it would be restricting for him. And getting central midfield experience at the likes of Wigan has to be a lot easier than getting it at United. I do like what I've seen of him wide though.

Playing centrally would mean he'd have to curb some of his natural attacking instincts and be more positionally disciplined. The best games I've seen him have are starting from a wide position and roaming around, a little like Park does for us.

Players can only be loaned out in the transfer windows right?

If so, it will have to happen soon...

They can only be loaned to top flight clubs during the transfer window.

I don't think that's right. After the transfer window closes I think there is something about loaning down but, during the transfer window there isn't anything saying you can't loan to the Championship or others.

I don't think that's right. After the transfer window closes I think there is something about loaning down but, during the transfer window there isn't anything saying you can't loan to the Championship or others.

There's been a grammatical misunderstanding somewhere - the point I'm conveying is that they can be loaned to other top flight clubs during transfer windows only

Oh okay - yeah for top flight clubs to receive any loan players it has to be during the transfer window - the way it read with "can only be loaned to top flight clubs" was it precluded Championship sides and lower - obviously not the case since Bellend went to Cardiff.

That's it for me. We had high hopes for him this season but realistically it's difficult to see when and where he would get opportunities in our first team; Carling Cup and FA Cup matches aside. He would have been struggling on the fringes. We are pretty well covered in midfield and on the wings if everyone else is fit.

It's better for him to get solid experience at a Premier League team like Wigan who are in greater need of his services. Considering the way they have been playing I feel more confident of him making an impact there. So maybe Bebe can inherit his place in the cup competitions now to gain some experience?

And yet we had muppets aplenty crying out for various midfielders to be signed during this transfer window!

Can anyone see us recalling him after Valencia's injury. A better option than Obertan imo

Nope.

If you mean now, we are not able to.

If you mean in January, I am still not sure if the rules allow it.

I'd rather see Obertan getting a chance in the left. Cleverlry will get games at Wigan.

Status
Not open for further replies.