Tom Cleverley | 2010/11 Performances (on loan at Wigan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giggs lets face it is near the end of his career and can't always be expected to be 100%. I think most people do give him credit and maybe it's unfair on Carrick? I always think of the future and on the night, there was real lack of intelligence by the lads. Carrick got the main brunt because Giggs and scholes are near the 'end' and Hargreaves is not available. You have to bear in mind though that the anger has calmed down ALOT . We naturally get angry but you know we're more reasonable these days. Personally I can accept mistakes but the ones you create yourself are disappointing

That's fair enough - plenty of us knee-jerk at the heat of the moment.

I do find it interesting though that the posters who claim that Carrick isn't the reason we tick (even when he plays really well) are then often the same people who say that he's at fault for not making us tick when we lose.

Indeed. what I like the most about him is he can beat his man with a dribble or two. Down the middle that can be trouble for opposing teams.

I like the fact he's very direct. We talk about him being a kid, but he seems very single minded about it. No indecision. I think that single minded desire to score and get into positions. Good times.

SAF is taking a hugh gamble this year with our midfield,on paper at present it looks quite week,the old brigade wil do there stuff when asked but they cannot perform every week as they used to.Fletcher is a very important and proven midfield player for us,the boss is gambling with the likes of anderson,cleverley,obertan,yes obertan,I believe he will be a revaltion for us this year and gibson,oh how I wish them boys all blend together and play some scintilating football through midfield this year....

Really excited about Cleverley staying. As mentioned before by others, he could turn out to be one of those "out of nothing" players, and I can hardly think of anything more exciting than a prospect like that!

From what little I've seen of him he seems to offer something a bit different than what we have in the rest of our midfielders, and he's skilled at it as well. Would be absolutely fantastic if he could make a real breakthrough this season, and force himself into the first team discussion (as in playing playing matches that we aren't "expecting" to win, especially in the league.)

I've no idea :) I think the fact Sir Alex said he was versatile means he's probably open minded. I think he will get a few chances in the midfield or perhaps more advanced role. It's a great lift for the club. I think he's better then Gibson though to be fair to Gibson, I think he has to lose weight. I think he could challenge Gibson as he has far better mobility and runs off players and offers a different type of threat

Cleverley, as it has already been mentioned on here, is very good when it comes to pressing up for the ball, so maybe we might play him in bigger games as an advanced midfielder (See: Gibson against Bayern Munich). Or even in the role that Park played against AC Milan. Any thoughts?

SAF is taking a hugh gamble this year with our midfield,on paper at present it looks quite week,the old brigade wil do there stuff when asked but they cannot perform every week as they used to.Fletcher is a very important and proven midfield player for us,the boss is gambling with the likes of anderson,cleverley,obertan,yes obertan,I believe he will be a revaltion for us this year and gibson,oh how I wish them boys all blend together and play some scintilating football through midfield this year....

Also let's not forget that SAF has been playing O'Shea in midfield this year. Just in front of the back four. Think he'll keep O'shea as third choice left back behind Evra and Fabio. But I do agree, SAF is taking a huuge gamble on the kids.

For old times sake, "You'll never win anything with kids!"

Cleverley, as it has already been mentioned on here, is very good when it comes to pressing up for the ball, so maybe we might play him in bigger games as an advanced midfielder (See: Gibson against Bayern Munich). Or even in the role that Park played against AC Milan. Any thoughts?

You know it's always an option and if someones in form then they play more often then not. I think Gibson playing against munich, was a suprise and in any game I don't see why not. If a player is confident and doing what we expect chances like that can come their way and we hopefully benefit from that because we talk about the lack of experience but it's a wild card and they might not know too much about him which worked out well for Gibson last season

Yeah still don't see it with Gibson. All he does is shoot from range.

That is a tremendous ability to have, he can develop the rest of his midfield game, lad needs time and experience.

I don't think it will come. He lacks the basic skills on the ball and has pretty much one good tool from what I've seen. I don't think it's enough at a club like United. Would be glad to be proven wrong.

He's built like a tank, and looks to be less mobile than he should be. He's not fat, but that extra body weight reduces his reacton time giving him less time on the ball.
It's unfair to say his only decent attribute is shooting, he seems a decent player, I just don't see anything that convinces me he'll go further with us than becoming a squad player. That's not a bad thing at all, look at O'Shea and Brown, never quite good enough to cement a first team spot for a long period of time, but they're very useful players to have around the squad. Gibson might just follow on like that, if he can accept he'll never be quite good enough to constantly start in a team like us.

He's built like a tank, and looks to be less mobile than he should be. He's not fat, but that extra body weight reduces his reacton time giving him less time on the ball.
It's unfair to say his only decent attribute is shooting, he seems a decent player, I just don't see anything that convinces me he'll go further with us than becoming a squad player. That's not a bad thing at all, look at O'Shea and Brown, never quite good enough to cement a first team spot for a long period of time, but they're very useful players to have around the squad. Gibson might just follow on like that, if he can accept he'll never be quite good enough to constantly start in a team like us.

Not really fair to Brown who was a key player in our CL winning team, if he hadn't has such bad luck with injuries he would still be our first choice right back.

Not really fair to Brown who was a key player in our CL winning team, if he hadn't has such bad luck with injuries he would still be our first choice right back.

True. But in his career with us, he's been happy to settle for a spot on the bench at times, which is always useful.

Really pleased he's staying, I can add him to Hernandez as something to look forward to this season.

I don't think it will come. He lacks the basic skills on the ball and has pretty much one good tool from what I've seen. I don't think it's enough at a club like United. Would be glad to be proven wrong.

I read an article not too long ago which talked about how Gibson and Scholes were the 2 players in the squad that could plant a 40 yard ball on a quarter. I agree that it is only training and that a live training is completely different, but it shows that he has the skill to do so and if he is given time, he might be able to gain the composure to do so in a live game as well.

SAF is taking a hugh gamble this year with our midfield,on paper at present it looks quite week,the old brigade wil do there stuff when asked but they cannot perform every week as they used to.Fletcher is a very important and proven midfield player for us,the boss is gambling with the likes of anderson,cleverley,obertan,yes obertan,I believe he will be a revaltion for us this year and gibson, how I wish them boys all blend together and play some scintilating football through midfield this year....

I think a baptism of fire is just what these lads need. Theyre not just random low-key signings thrown together, theyve played together for a few years now. They understand each others games. And the only way to improve is by playing a better opponent. In life, you yourself have probably lifted your performance in any situation when youre not rated highly. So i think theyre goin to surprise a lot of people this season

a fat tank? I'm not exactly sure most people would use those words to describe him ie 'built like a tank'. That extra body weight or what resembles a 'beer gut' shouldn't really be there at this level of football.

I read an article not too long ago which talked about how Gibson and Scholes were the 2 players in the squad that could plant a 40 yard ball on a quarter. I agree that it is only training and that a live training is completely different, but it shows that he has the skill to do so and if he is given time, he might be able to gain the composure to do so in a live game as well.

I hope so. Don't see much talent in him to be honest, but I really do hope so.

a fat tank? I'm not exactly sure most people would use those words to describe him ie 'built like a tank'. That extra body weight or what resembles a 'beer gut' shouldn't really be there at this level of football.

He hasn't got a gut. Saw him with his shirt off yesterday and he's not fat at all. This seems to be a redcafe myth built up after some misleading tv coverage on tour.

He's not the most mobile - and that really stood out watching him live - but he's not fat.

He hasn't got a gut. Saw him with his shirt off yesterday and he's not fat at all. This seems to be a redcafe myth built up after some misleading tv coverage on tour.

He's not the most mobile - and that really stood out watching him live - but he's not fat.

That's fair enough. I still want to hear from people who saw him when he was our reserve player of the year to ask what was he like? I don't think he'd come close these days but maybe he loses fitness quicker then he should. We'll find out soon enough i guess

How Tom Cleverley is spearheading Fergie's plan to bow out with legacy of youth
By Oliver Holt
Published 23:02 17/08/10

Tom Cleverley, a young player many believe is destined to become a part of Sir Alex Ferguson’s last great Manchester United side, is sitting in an office, talking.

There is something about him that tells you he has been at United since he was 11. He is assured, mature, single-minded and happy to make whatever sacrifices he needs to.

He grew up in Bradford but the way he speaks makes him sound like a composite of Gary Neville, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs.

His eyes light up twice. Both times it is something to do with training that brings animation to his features. Cleverley is someone in love with the game.

The first time it is the mention of some YouTube footage he has told the rest of the United first team squad about that makes him smile.

The 30-second clip shows the Spain squad training and Valencia’s Juan Mata producing a dazzling piece of skill that involves dragging the ball behind one foot with the other and then nutmegging Real Madrid’s Raul Albiol all in the same movement.

Mata celebrates his feat, laughing, while a couple of the Spain players put their arms around Albiol in mock consolation. United’s players, Cleverley says, have been trying to reproduce the trick.

The second time his face comes alive is when Cleverley, who turned 21 last week, talks about training at Carrington with the United first team squad. In particular, he says, watching Scholes and Giggs doing their job and pursuing their art is breathtaking.

Most players who have trained with Scholes, either for United or England, say that. They mention the way he strikes the ball and the joy of watching his technique.

A few hours later, Scholes lofted a perfect pass to Giggs who drove home a volley to seal United’s 3-0 win over Newcastle at Old Trafford.

“It’s the way nothing fazes them, too,” Cleverley says.

“You can learn so much from those two. They don’t have to say anything to you. You just have to watch them. It’s their temperament and they take that into the pitch. I have been watching Scholes all through pre-season so it didn’t shock me when he put in a performance like he did in the Community Shield.

“He is not the type to sit you down and have a heart-to-heart chat with you but he is a great mentor for me.”

At at time when the country’s focus is turning to youth in the battle to recover from the disappointment of England’s performance in South Africa, a world of possibilities is opening up for Cleverley.

Players like Arsenal’s Jack Wilshere and Kieran Gibbs have already been given their chance by Fabio Capello as the England manager tries to re-invent both himself and his team and Cleverley and Everton’s Jack Rodwell cannot be far behind.

Cleverley, who can play anywhere across the midfield, made a big impression when he was on loan at Watford last season and was voted the team’s player of the season.

The previous season he had a spell on loan at Leicester.

“The hostility of places like Millwall and Leeds toughens you up,” Cleverley says. “I went from a boy to a man in the Championship.”

He also starred in United’s pre-season tour of America and scored a superb individual goal against the MLS All-Stars in Houston. Premier League clubs are queuing up to take him on loan but Ferguson has said he wants him to stay at Old Trafford this season because he is ready to fight for a place in the team.

There is something else about Cleverley: he epitomises the agelessness of Ferguson, the way that the United boss can inspire a new generation of players as effectively as he did when he first took the job 24 years ago.

He commands respect, not just because of what he has achieved but with the way he interacts with his players.

Other older managers fall out of love with football and especially footballers. Not Ferguson. His man-management genius, his enthusiasm for the people around him, are undimmed.

“His team talk before the Community Shield was fantastic,” Cleverley says. “He inspires me.”

The progress of Cleverley, whose career is being guided astutely by Simon Kennedy, Brian Lara’s former agent, hints at the idea that a new wave of home-grown talent is ready to form the core of the last side Ferguson commands before he retires.

There are high hopes for Cleverley, Darron Gibson, Danny Drinkwater (on loan at Cardiff), Matt James (on loan at Preston) and Reece Brown, Wes Brown’s younger brother. Jonny Evans has already broken through and Federico Macheda kept Michael Owen out of the squad against Newcastle.

There are echoes of the 1992 FA Youth Cup winning side that contained David Beckham, Nicky Butt, Gary Neville and Giggs.

If Ferguson sticks to his plan not to send Cleverley out on loan, he will get his chance in the Carling Cup, the FA Cup and maybe a few League games.

Cleverley has his own plan. “If I get chances, my aim is to please him enough that he has to play me,” he says.

Ferguson’s reluctance to enter the transfer market has been widely attributed to the fact that the Glazer family have no money to give him.

Maybe there’s another reason. Maybe Ferguson looks at Cleverley, Drinkwater, James, Evans, Macheda and Brown and sees another group of kids who can take the League by storm and send him into retirement a happy man.

Read more: Oliver Holt column Tom Cleverley interview - How Manchester United starlet is spearheading Sir Alex Ferguson plan to bow out with legacy of youth - Oliver Holt - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Pretty good article this, especially by Oliver Holts standards.

The bit about watching Scholes and Giggs in training interests me. It was one of the main reasons why i was desperately hoping he would stay with us this season. Watching and learning from those 2 on a daily basis (in what could be their last season :nervous:) and still having the benefit of some game time, would be more beneficial than another loan deal.

He comes across really well in interviews, and by the sounds of things is a really well grounded and modest lad. Have very high hopes for him here.

DuckerTheTimes Tom Cleverley will join either Bolton or Wigan on a season-long loan today after Fergie rethink over keeping him at OT this season #MUFC
about 5 hours ago via web
Retweeted by BenHibbs and 14 others
Reply Retweet

DuckerTheTimes Cleverley will then be in line to make his Premier League debut for one of those two clubs this weekend #MUFC #BWFC #WAFC
about 5 hours ago via web
Retweeted by BenHibbs and 5 others
Reply Retweet

Fergies had a re-think it seems

Hopefully not Wigan. That club is a mess. Bolton would be ideal especially with Coyle in charge.

Please be Bolton. Coyle would be good for him, and he'll get regular games like Wilshere did.

I'd love it to be Bolton, I think they're gonna be a surprise package this season under Owen Coyle.

If Cleverley leaves then I wont be surprised if we get a new midfielder

Some journo tweeted that cleverley wants to go to Bolton but Fergie prefers Wigan.

Fergie doing a favor for his friend Whelan? Gosh they need some quality in their side. He'll probably play more at Wigan but I think the environment with Coyle at Bolton would be more suitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.