Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminds me of the Xavi situation a few years back.. if there is a chance, lets put some proper effort in it

Probably due to the Guardiola factor. Not that I agree, if he's willing to leave the club he grew up he'll probably be open minded enough to listen to other offers too. But if he's a bit of talent, which most people seem to suggest, I don't see why Barca would let him go. Xavi isn't going to be around for ages and Fabregas will play further forward.

Judging by the quotes of his father, he's clearly not that happy at Barcelona. It's also not the first time we've been linked with him. However I still don't think that Barcelona will let go of such a talented player.

Talent wise, he would be on par with the likes of Wilshere if he was to move to the PL. With Scholes on his last legs and Fletcher no longer in the picture, we should snap him up asap. A slightly more attack minded midfielder than one we require but simply too good to pass up.

Judging by the quotes of his father, he's clearly not that happy at Barcelona. It's also not the first time we've been linked with him. However I still don't think that Barcelona will let go of such a talented player.

After he's waited so long, they won't keep him against his will if they can't offer regular first team football.

If he does leave Barca, we're as likely a destination as any other. But would he be a good signing? He'd probably cost at least £20m, isn't quite the finished article, and might require a long settling in period, is perhaps more of an AM than we might ideally want, and, most damningly, might envisage a return to Barca when Xavi calls it quits.

Would he be worth a shot despite all those negatives?

After he's waited so long, they won't keep him against his will if they can't offer regular first team football.

If he does leave Barca, we're as likely a destination as any other. But would he be a good signing? He'd probably cost at least £20m, isn't quite the finished article, and might require a long settling in period, is perhaps more of an AM than we might ideally want, and, most damningly, might envisage a return to Barca when Xavi calls it quits.

All fair points. If he does well here, their will be loads of bollocks about Barcelona DNA etc etc.

They'd probably want to put a clause in his contract too like they did with Romeu and Bojan (it's not like they're going to need them back though).

Plus he's a midfielder which should naturally remove him from our wish list.

Have him in a heart beat. Barca could try to put one of their clauses in the contract but we wouldn't entertain it, don't think Bayern would either. So probably be off to Italy

Why do people think he'd be a shoo-in to go back to Barca once Xavi is finished? They're not the same type of player - Thiago wouldn't be an adequate replacement in the sense that Barca's midfield would be too unbalanced.

20mil for a player of his talent is reasonable.

We dont need him to be the finished article. He'd still get into our 1st 11 and with regular games so he'l develop further. In any case, thats the type of players we target anyways. The finished article isnt really our typical purchase.

He's more of an AM, agreed but that actually rules out your other point. He's too different to Xavi to replace him. Fabregas plays where Alcantra sees himself long term.

He would never come here as if barca let him go then he would 100% end up at Bayern.,.....lazy journalism

Seems lazier to link him to Bayern if you ask me. It's probably bollocks, but linking a midfielder to united is a 6 year old story. It's not lazy.

He was a revelation playing at under 21 Euro's, not seen much of him since.

If he's improved since then he'd be ideal replacement for Anderson, that's if rumours are correct him wanting to move to Portugal. If Barcelona are willing to part, I'd think Chelsea and City would be also be likely bidders, along with Bayern.

So is he more of an attacking midfielder in the Kagawa ilk or more of a Carrick/Xavi type. Someone in the newbs was saying he's more in the Carrick/Xavi ilk.

I don't agree with the newbie that he's a Xavi type but I agree he's played well in Busquets' position when given the chance. I'd say he's similar to Deco in the sense that he's probably best at the head of the midfield but you can pretty much play him anywhere in there and he'll excel. Definitely not afraid of putting a shift in unlike Isco.

So is he more of an attacking midfielder in the Kagawa ilk or more of a Carrick/Xavi type. Someone in the newbs was saying he's more in the Carrick/Xavi ilk.

He's neither.

Never happening. I doubt Barcelona will want to sell and their squad is thin enough as it is. I think he has the potential to be very good, but not in the same sphere as a Xavi or Iniesta.

Like what I have seen of him. He would be a useful addition to our squad.

Never happening. I doubt Barcelona will want to sell and their squad is thin enough as it is. I think he has the potential to be very good, but not in the same sphere as a Xavi or Iniesta.

No way. He definitely has the talent to go all the way. Xavi and Iniesta were nothing special at Thiago's current age.

I think we'll certainly be interested if he becomes available, we've apparently made several bids for him in the past. I think we'd be as attractive to him as any other club that'd be interested. Plus he'd get more games here than he would at Bayern, if he wants regular football we're a smart choice.

@BumperGraham 3h
@RickRennn yes, I know their interest is not only fact but dates back a couple of years. Suspect that they made a firm enquiry summer 2011

Graham Hunter on Thiago, for whatever it's worth

Is Graham Hunter reliable?
I know he has authored a book on Barcelona.

I can't see them selling him, if they were to sell they'd probably be looking for some ridiculous clauses.

He would get in our starting line up solely based on just his technique. He is very good.

No he wouldn't..... He would be what Anderson is to us now. However great talent to work on. Good signing if we make it happen.

Front 6 next season:

--------Carrick----Thiago

Kagawa-----Rooney------Ronaldo

-----------Van Persie

Not bad.

No he wouldn't..... He would be what Anderson is to us now. However great talent to work on. Good signing if we make it happen.

Havent seen him as much as some others here but he's much further ahead of Anderson.

Status
Not open for further replies.