Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rivera.png

Rivera. Regista. Nothing to do with the translation. A regista isn't a position or a role, nor is a fantasista. It's the description of a player's personality more than anything. It doesn't matter that Rivera played higher up the pitch, he was still the one who orchestrated the play and that's what a regista is. It just so happens that the most common position a regista plays in is as a deep-lying midfielder. A fantasista can play in a deeper role just like a regista can play an advanced role, it describes how they play the game not where they play.

It has everything to do with translation and your post only proves that. You're showing the Italian wikipedia and their use of the word, my point is that it's been used by English speaking Football journalists, bloggers and fans for well over a decade (and probably longer but I wasn't familiar with it then) for the description of a player I gave above. As you point out, it might not be the Italian use or literal translation but it's how it has been used in English for a good while now.

:lol:

This is the kind of dick who uses Italian words like regista, the kind of dick who professes to read about football for three hours every day.

You have more than 21k posts on a Football Forum and you think you're in a position to laugh?

Oh sorry, were half of them "Playing Warewolf". You're a regular James Dean aren't you.

Anyway, I can't be arsed to argue about this anymore. It's a word used to describe a role on a football field.

For those that don't like the word, so we can continue talking about Thiago without this petty shite, he's an attacking central midfielder, competent in both passing and with the ball at his feet.

It has everything to do with translation and your post only proves that. You're showing the Italian wikipedia and their use of the word, my point is that it's been used by English speaking Football journalists, bloggers and fans for well over a decade (and probably longer but I wasn't familiar with it then) for the description of a player I gave above. As you point out, it might not be the Italian use or literal translation but it's how it has been used in English for a good while now.

So what you're saying is that it's been misused by a number of English journalists, bloggers and fans. Indeed. If the Italians call Rivera a regista then it quite clearly doesn't mean a deep-lying playmaker, it really is that simple. A regista is someone who dictates the tempo of the game.

So what you're saying is that it's been misused by a number of English journalists, bloggers and fans. Indeed. If the Italians call Rivera a regista then it quite clearly doesn't mean a deep-lying playmaker, it really is that simple.

I'm saying exactly that, it's misuse has seen it adopt it's own meaning much like a million other words in the English language taken from other languages and bastardised over time. Anyway, as I said this really is pointless, people on here don't use the terms so we will avoid them, maybe they will continue to be used elsewhere and finally become used and accepted on here, maybe they won't. In all honesty I actually couldn't care less either way and am currently wondering why I've spent the last half hour talking about it.

CM in the traditional sense don't really exist anymore Cider. Get with the times.

They're also used by people who live in Latin countries. We think trequartista's a stupid, flowery word but from what I gather from my Italian workmate, it's the only word they use for that position/role in the team. So no, it's not to sound clever, it's simply the word they use. Pirlo is a regista, it's not a fancy way to describe him, it's the best way to describe him (in their opinion). We have posters on here that are of Latin heritage or, as in this case, support teams from a Latin country so it's hardly surprising to see the words used. To simply call it a 'stupid name' is ignorant.

Gracies :cool:

Anyone else on here remember a few years back when terms like AM and DM were despised amongst the posting populace as general football manager claptrap ?

How about we skip all that part this time and just acknowledge that these words are a way of expanding on those ?

Nope, he's a CM.

:lol:

Anyone else on here remember a few years back when terms like AM and DM were despised amongst the posting populace as general football manager claptrap ?

How about we skip all that part this time and just acknowledge that these words are a way of expanding on those ?

A sensible post.

Why are you guy even arguing over this? If he wants to describe a player like that he is entitled to. Ditto with you guys calling every player that plays in the centre as a midfielder.

CM in the traditional sense don't really exist anymore Cider. Get with the times.

Perhaps so, but that doesn't mean that the only way to describe a player like Steven Gerard is to resort to speaking Italian. The Italian phrases are just a means of clonks like Pexbo to make out that he's some kind of football boffin, despite everyone else being quite able to discuss various central midfielders in our own language.

"I'd love to discuss the Liverpool match with you but unfortunately you don't speak Italian so such would be impossible."

Better educated my arse.

Does this sort of thing really wind people up when they read it on the internet? :lol: I've never known what this regista, trequartista lark is all about, but seriously is it actually that much of a problem if it's used?

What an odd little argument.

So he's a midfielder then? Good to know.

Midfielder, defender and forward are too simplistic and say nothing about the style of player.

Why don't we just call them all 'footballer' and be done with it.

United desperately need a new footballer.

Midfielder, defender and forward are too simplistic and say nothing about the style of player.

Why don't we just call them all 'footballer' and be done with it.

United desperately need a new footballer.

There are English terms by which we can describe nuances of position though. Speaking Italian doesn't make one better educated about football than somebody speaking English, it just makes you a tool for speaking Italian to English people for no reason.

I believe some posters in this thread have an inferiority complex.

Anyway, don't get my hopes up, lads! He will never sign with us. :(

There are English terms by which we can describe nuances of position though. Speaking Italian doesn't make one better educated about football than somebody speaking English, it just makes you a tool for speaking Italian to English people for no reason.

Is there a single English word that describes the role Pirlo plays? Zidane?

Ever used the word "Sweeper" before? Cracking english word that isn't it. No stupid vowel at the end, although surely "Central Defender" would be a better again, and then we can give a nice long description as to how they actually play deeper than your average central defender and be able to read the game better and carry the ball out of defense.

Ever used the word "Sweeper" before? Cracking english word that isn't it. No stupid vowel at the end, although surely "Central Defender" would be a better again, and then we can give a nice long description as to how they actually play deeper than your average central defender and be able to read the game better and carry the ball out of defense.

That's it, you're catching on.

English.

I'm never sure if your wumming or actually that stupid and ignorant. You're either a brilliant WUM or a genuine retard.

It's the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis of linguistics isn't it; language doesn't merely help us describe our reality, it also confines and defines our conception of it. So when there isn't a word for regista in English, it essentially means the culture from which the word came thinks of the particular position (or even football in general) in a particular way that the English don't.

It's the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis of linguistics isn't it; language doesn't merely help us describe our reality, it also confines and defines our conception of it. So in. So when there isn't a word for regista in English, it essentially means the culture from which the word came thinks of the particular position (or even football in general) in a particular way that the English don't.

Aye, pretentious cnuts that Italian lot, int they.

i'm never sure if your wumming or actually that stupid and ignorant. You're either a brilliant wum or a genuine retard.

당신은한연설이탈리아사람그리고결과로축 구에대한자세한내용을알고것처럼보는장면.

Yep. Deeplying playmaker.

English.

edit.
Oh hang on, that's two words. Quick, everybody resort to speaking Italian!

Two words? You actually are that stupid aren't you?! :lol:

It's four words, deep-lying play-maker. You're not using a word to describe something, you're using a selection of words.

You're beloved English Language that you want to use is made up of "horrible foreign" words that we have adopted.

Your description is made up from:

The old norse word "Djupr" (Deep)
Lying is a suffix modified version of the word Lie which is adopted from the German "Liegen".
play is from the old Dutch word "Pleien" meaning to "be joyful and dance".
and maker is again a suffix modfied version of the word "make" which comes from the german word "Machen" which means "to manufacture".

You dirty git, using Norse, German and Dutch to describe a Football position!

It's the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis of linguistics isn't it; language doesn't merely help us describe our reality, it also confines and defines our conception of it. So in. So when there isn't a word for regista in English, it essentially means the culture from which the word came thinks of the particular position (or even football in general) in a particular way that the English don't.

Beautifully put. Nail on the head.

Two words? You actually are that stupid aren't you?! :lol:

It's four words, deep-lying play-maker. You're not using a word to describe something, you're using a selection of words.

You're beloved English Language that you want to use is made up of "horrible foreign" words that we have adopted.

Your description is made up from:

The old norse word "Djupr" (Deep)
Lying is a suffix modified version of the word Lie which is adopted from the German "Liegen".
play is from the old Dutch word "Pleien" meaning to "be joyful and dance".
and maker is again a suffix modfied version of the word "make" which comes from the german word "Machen" which means "to manufacture".

You dirty git, using Norse, German and Dutch to describe a Football position!

They're English words.

Playmaker isn't all one word?

Of course it is, it's in the dictionary.

The point is, what's wrong with saying deep-lying playmaker, something that we can all understand because it's in English; when the alternative is regista, you save yourself three syllables, but you're speaking fecking Italian. When somebody starts spouting out about players being fantasistas, telling everyone they need to get better educated when they don't understand it, they're just taking the piss.

Playmaker isn't all one word?

It's a footballing idiom. A fusion of two English words which over time has worked it's way into written English as a single word.

Status
Not open for further replies.