Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't we gone in with bids for him before? Sure I read/heard it recently.

Yes. IIRC, we were in negotiations to sign him but Barca wanted one of those bullshit effective loan deals like the one they did with Roma for Bojan. As a result we pulled out.

Would be pretty happy with this signing.

£25M would represent great value for the future, and will be effective straight away.

Moyesy sign him up :drool:

City going to announce Thiago and Isco on the same day

Fixed :(

Seriously if he were available at that price (or indeed any price) then the usual suspects will be handing over their owner's credit cards faster than we could get Gill/Woodward on the phone.

This summer seems to be offering the best list of possible midfield targets that I can remember in this 'we need a CM' era. Fabregas, Thiago, Gundogan, Modric... if we fail to get anyone again, it's going to be maddening.

Would be pretty happy with this signing.

£25M would represent great value for the future, and will be effective straight away.

Moyesy sign him up :drool:

It's €25m so even less. I wonder how realistic the whole thing is.

This summer seems to be offering the best list of possible midfield targets that I can remember in this 'we need a CM' era. Fabregas, Thiago, Gundogan, Modric... if we fail to get anyone again, it's going to be maddening.

Barcelona won't sell both Fabregas and Thiago (from the sounds of things, they want to keep Fabregas and sell Thiago only), and I can't see Dortmund selling Gundogan on top of Gotze and Lewandowski.

Barcelona won't sell both Fabregas and Thiago (from the sounds of things, they want to keep Fabregas and sell Thiago only), and I can't see Dortmund selling Gundogan on top of Gotze and Lewandowski.

Well we don't need both Fabregas and Thiago, so whichever they are looking to sell the point still stands. Fair enough on Gundogan, I'm only naming the names which the papers have offered up.

It's funny how only a couple of days ago they were reporting Fabregas could move, but now today they want to keep him and offload Thiago instead. All part of the media circus. I guess they do have to chop their midfield down a little, it's clustered with Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Mascherano, Song, Fabregas and Thiago. The least they could do is share the love with other clubs, no?

Given a choice I'd rather get Fabregas. For one Fabregas has already played in the EPL so there isn't a risk that he won't play well in England. The main reason is that Fabregas has already been back to Barca therefore he shouldn't be looking for a move back again in a few years like I imagine Thiago will.

I'd still very happily take Thiago, though.

It's funny how only a couple of days ago they were reporting Fabregas could move, but now today they want to keep him and offload Thiago instead. All part of the media circus. I guess they do have to chop their midfield down a little, it's clustered with Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Mascherano, Song, Fabregas and Thiago. The least they could do is share the love with other clubs, no?

To be fair, they usually play with 3 midfield players, so for that reason, I wouldn't say they are 'stocked' especially with Xavi and a few others surely seeing appearance numbers limit soon due to age, moreover Song and Mascherano from what I have seen are rarely deployed in midfield, seem to be used as defenders..

But he's not better than Fabregas was at the same age. So i don't quite understand.

He's more talented, Cesc may have been a bit more matured, due to him playing for a team that doesn't have the luxury to have not given him 150 games by the time he was 21, just like Wilshere.

I'm not convinced Cesc was better anyway, I think playing in England at the time where players who can control a football and then move it at a good speed was almost a new concept still would cause such a response. This is like when Pep said how he has a few Wilsheres in his academy. I don't think Cesc would necessarily have been as big a deal in Spain, and hasn't been as big a deal since he has gone back there.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of his, and considered him as the League's best midfielder before he left Arsenal. That said, Thiago is certainly more gifted and to use Caf terminology, 'has a higher ceiling'.

He's more talented, Cesc may have been a bit more matured, due to him playing for a team that doesn't have the luxury to have not given him 150 games by the time he was 21, just like Wilshere.

I'm not convinced Cesc was better anyway, I think playing in England at the time where players who can control a football and then move it at a good speed was almost a new concept still would cause such a response. This is like when Pep said how he has a few Wilsheres in his academy. I don't think Cesc would necessarily have been as big a deal in Spain, and hasn't been as big a deal since he has gone back there.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of his, and considered him as the League's best midfielder before he left Arsenal. That said, Thiago is certainly more gifted and to use Caf terminology, 'has a higher ceiling'.

Cesc is proven in the PL,CL and at major international finals. Alacantara has done very little so far. Cesc is a much safer bet.

Its a big call to suggest he is better than Cesc.

Kagawa plays in the same role as him, doesn't he? And a certain Wayne Rooney as well

We could always go to a 4-5-1.

Use carrick as a DM, and then allow Kagawa, Rooney, Thiago and Nani and RVP go and do their stuff :devil:

:wenger:

I can't tell if this guy lacks ambition for not wanting to leave Barcelona to get regular football, or whether he is extremely ambitious for wanting to make it at Barcelona.

This is utter bollocks, just like Pep's comments were. If I could post images, there'd be a big old Scholes laughing at you right now.

From what I see, most of the Spanish press reporting he wants to team up with Guardiola at Bayern.

It.

Is.

Off.

Don't be silly.. All these players Pep mentioned where are they? Tello is not better than Whilshere. As far as Thiago being more gifted thats a bunch of crap i can man around 5 midfielders 22 and younger better than him. Fabregas also came though at at time when England had the best centre midfielders in the world your talking Vieira, Keane, Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard then later Alonso, essien, Mascherano, Ballack, Carrick moved up a level. Seriously what are you talking about.

Along with Gotze, Lewandowski and Neymar. What the feck, Bayern?

Neymar's going to Barcelona, it seems.

But these signings make perfect sense, Bayern must sense there's room for their dominance, now that Barcelona's cycle is coming to an end. You have to strengthen when you're on top.

This is utter bollocks, just like Pep's comments were. If I could post images, there'd be a big old Scholes laughing at you right now.

Scholes is an obvious. Obviously my comment was extreme, but the fact is, even Scholes has been under-appreciated here over the years, and his plaudits are generally aimed at highlighting how 'un-British' his game is, and how 'he could play for the Spanish and Italian teams if he wanted'.

I am a huge Wilshere fan, for the record, as I am a big Fabregas fan. That said, he looks far less of a genius playing in La Liga as he did and obviously would in England. Likewise Mata and Silva. Their style of football is simply not as unique over there.

I can only imagine the praise Thiago would get in the Premier League. I mean, even Tom Cleverley has been hyped to the heavens and labelled the 'best midfielder in Britain' because he has demonstrated an ability to control the ball and release it at speed. He is now one of the 'new style of British midfielders that are emerging'. This would not be the case if he were a Spanish player in La Liga.

Cesc is proven in the PL,CL and at major international finals. Alacantara has done very little so far. Cesc is a much safer bet.

Its a big call to suggest he is better than Cesc.

I don't think he is 'better' than Cesc, I think he is more gifted. The things he lacks that Cesc has are likely things he will make up once he has played the number of top-flight games Cesc has.

Could it not just be their overuse/ dependence on midfielders whereas premier league tends to use width more? Despite them now looking mainly to transition to tiki taka

That makes sense though FCBarca. Ronaldinho hyped Dos Santos to the same levels. I remember once when he was asked something about being TBPITW and he said...he's not even the best pplayer at the club. Most of these statements are made as abit of a confidence booster to the younger one, but once the media picks up on it...BOOM! Next Ronaldo/Messi/Pele/Maradona/Zidane.

I see you've cited "leadership" as another great quality of Thiago. Do you think he'd be comfortable playing in a 2 man midfield (say next to Carrick)?

Yep ronaldinho was reffering to messi in that comment

I can't tell if this guy lacks ambition for not wanting to leave Barcelona to get regular football, or whether he is extremely ambitious for wanting to make it at Barcelona.

One of the advantages of being a cantera based club, it breeds ambition to succeed where you have been educated, not just in football. He's been at the club since he was 14 years of age. His best friends and idols are at Barcelona, it's normal to aspire to greatness at the club.

However, this past season has been a fairly big slap in the face to him, IMHO. Wouldn't surprise me if he'd be open to a move now. Bayern would make sense since Pep is there but not sure how he'd see more minutes there with an incoming Götze along with the Hogrider, Kroos & Javi. Who knows?

Would you say he's good enough, or at least has the potential to be, for Barcelona?

There's no point in United going for him if he's not good enough for Barcelona.

Status
Not open for further replies.