Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Havent seen him as much as some others here but he's much further ahead of Anderson.

Well if it does happen, we can all see for ourselves. Some of you guys on here have a poor judge of what it takes to play for United. Yes I know he's at Barcelona now but coming into the English league and being a predominant Centre midfielder at the age he is just doesn't happen. (I don't see whats wrong with my Anderson comment)

Why no one talking about Ever Banega no more??

Well if it does happen, we can all see for ourselves. Some of you guys on here have a poor judge of what it takes to play for United. Yes I know he's at Barcelona now but coming into the English league and being a predominant Centre midfielder at the age he is just doesn't happen. (I don't see whats wrong with my Anderson comment)

Not a predominant midfielder, but he will be a better player and a more influential midfielder in our squad which lacks the spark many a times. He would be able to rotate much more effectively with Cleverley, as compared to what Anderson does.

Not a predominant midfielder, but he will be a better player and a more influential midfielder in our squad which lacks the spark many a times. He would be able to rotate much more effectively with Cleverley, as compared to what Anderson does.

Yes I believe and can see that. Just don't get where people are coming from assuming he will be a definite starter that will have an immediate impact to the first team.

I haven't seen much of him since the U21 Euros, could he play in a 2 with Carrick?

Will needs to up his workrate defensively and adapt. Don't think he is completely ready yet but a prospect.

His passing is more adventurous than other Barca players too who do the short pass routine more.

in our team setup, does he replace cleverley or take the behind the striker position like kagawa(when he is being played through the middle)?
If we get him, we still will need to buy another DM too.
Carrick Cleverley Thiago and a DM. That's tasty.
This will make up for losing out on Pogba. I know they are not the same players positionally, but still.
Don't see this happening though.

Because he's not even as good as Anderson.

He is better than Anderson. And Cleverley. He would easily start for us, and provide us with that elite-level talent in centre midfield of the Wilshere sort of level.

I've spoken of him a few times on here, stated that as far as natural talent goes, I'd say he is probably the most talented kid in the game at the moment. I think he would improve our team immediately, and over the next few years will become one of the world's best players at a level that Ando/Cleverley cannot reach if he had regular games.

I'll try and steer clear of this rumour though unless it develops further as I don't want to give myself heart problems!

He was talking about Banega.

Will needs to up his workrate defensively and adapt. Don't think he is completely ready yet but a prospect.

His passing is more adventurous than other Barca players too who do the short pass routine more.

Interesting, I imagined him as more of an AM in a 3 man midfield, but if he can provide competition for Cleverley to partner Carrick that would be good for the squad.

Judging by the quotes of his father, he's clearly not that happy at Barcelona. It's also not the first time we've been linked with him. However I still don't think that Barcelona will let go of such a talented player.

Mazinho has had a habit of pressuring the club regarding his sons, always tougher when the agent is not only your father but a former professional footballer.

It was always the concern with Cesc's purchase, that whether his arrival wouldn't make matters complicated for Thiago much less whether the return was needed/warranted really. I for one, never wanted Cesc back precisely because of Thiago.

Since Cesc's minutes increased with Tito at the helm, I imagine Thiago was none too pleased on some level and eventually his father/agent stirred the pot in the press.

Personally, I think it's a bit of pressure to get Thiago more playing time as I can't imagine the club seriously considering offers to sell the player even if Thiago was even thinking of leaving. Of course, if he isn't happy and wants to leave, it's an entirely different scenario - I'm not convinced that is the case. Plus, he has 2 years left on his current contract with a €90 million release clause - It would take far more than 10-20 million to even get Barcelona to entertain the notion of moving the player

Meanwhile, whether he stays at Barcelona, goes to United or anywhere else, he's not going to make the WC14 squad as Mazinho implied. Del Bosque isn't going to supplant his veteran squad anywhere on the pitch with one year to go unless they have an exceptional season or there's an injury. Were Thiago a striker, perhaps that possibility would be less remote

BTW, Graham Hunter is a nice bloke who covers the club for Sky but he no longer has the access he once had to the club

Well, local papers are now saying the player is on the market :(

Another thing to blame Rosell & the purchase of Cesc for

Well, local papers are now saying the player is on the market :(

Another thing to blame Rosell & the purchase of Cesc for

Do you think he's really that good? I always felt he's too much about the flashy things, looks great in a few brilliant moments but he's not the player you need in Barca's setup. Most of the time, Barca's idea of football is about movement, vision, understanding of the game so that the "easy" pass is the best option and all that together creates magnificent plays. Of course I haven't seen enough of him, just the impression I got the few times I saw him. Outstanding talent of course, still young, so I could be wrong or he might change the next years.

I think the hype around all the young talents at Barca isn't really helping. Every one is the next Messi, Xavi or Iniesta when it's obvious that those 3 were exceptions and no youth acadamy can produce them in every generation. Pretty sure we'll see more cases like Bojan over the next years and Alcantara is imo a likely candidate for a great talent that doesn't really fit in anywhere.

I always thought (on the very limited viewing of him) that he was more suited to Iniesta's role further up the pitch than Xavi's role. His got a lot of tricks and a good turn of pace which I thought would be better utilized in the final third.

We should sign him just to lure his brother at a later stage :drool: Apparently his brother is even better (I've never seen him play of course).

Seriously though, wouldn't mind signing Thiago, but I'm not sure if he'd excel as a box to box in a midfield 2. Pne of the last things we need is another AM.

Do you think he's really that good? I always felt he's too much about the flashy things, looks great in a few brilliant moments but he's not the player you need in Barca's setup. Most of the time, Barca's idea of football is about movement, vision, understanding of the game so that the "easy" pass is the best option and all that together creates magnificent plays. Of course I haven't seen enough of him, just the impression I got the few times I saw him. Outstanding talent of course, still young, so I could be wrong or he might change the next years.

I think the hype around all the young talents at Barca isn't really helping. Every one is the next Messi, Xavi or Iniesta when it's obvious that those 3 were exceptions and no youth acadamy can produce them in every generation. Pretty sure we'll see more cases like Bojan over the next years and Alcantara is imo a likely candidate for a great talent that doesn't really fit in anywhere.

I'd contend it's Cesc who is a great talent that doesn't really fit in anywhere for this team, not Thiago. Outstanding, in so many ways. I think all too often it's easy to slot this midfielder as a like for like replacement for another, all because they come from the same cantera. But Thiago is neither Iniesta nor Xavi (Nevermind the doe eyed Bambi that is Bojan), he is a CAM though. Fantastic vision, great skills, touch and passing combined with years of leadership and direct play. Few probably fail to recall his ascendency ahead of his promotion 2 seasons ago where he looked to be a world beater. I would've loved to have seen him these past 2 seasons without Cesc.

You don't become the Captain of the youth NTs by accident. If Brasil hadn't ignored him, I contend he'd be the Ronaldinho heir and commanding that midfield that is sorely lacking a maestro

We should sign him just to lure his brother at a later stage :drool: Apparently his brother is even better (I've never seen him play of course).

Seriously though, wouldn't mind signing Thiago, but I'm not sure if he'd excel as a box to box in a midfield 2. Pne of the last things we need is another AM.

Unfortunately, Rafinha's hype is part of what Balu was alluding to in terms of the cantera. For me, Rafinha is promising but he's nowhere near the player Thiago is or can be.

That makes sense though FCBarca. Ronaldinho hyped Dos Santos to the same levels. I remember once when he was asked something about being TBPITW and he said...he's not even the best pplayer at the club. Most of these statements are made as abit of a confidence booster to the younger one, but once the media picks up on it...BOOM! Next Ronaldo/Messi/Pele/Maradona/Zidane.

I see you've cited "leadership" as another great quality of Thiago. Do you think he'd be comfortable playing in a 2 man midfield (say next to Carrick)?

True leader, the few times swag fits for a player. Ask De Gea. The young generation of Spanish talents, would overwhelmingly select Thiago as the one they look up to

Thiago needs a holding mid to play in front of, you want him playing closer to goal than further away. He's an aggressive dribbler who likes to attack, take his man on and deliver goalscoring chances

That makes sense though FCBarca. Ronaldinho hyped Dos Santos to the same levels. I remember once when he was asked something about being TBPITW and he said...he's not even the best pplayer at the club. Most of these statements are made as abit of a confidence booster to the younger one, but once the media picks up on it...BOOM! Next Ronaldo/Messi/Pele/Maradona/Zidane.

Actually, Ronnie was referring to Messi after he won the Ballon D'Or in 2005. I doubt Dos Santos was ever hyped by Ronnie although the local press often made comparisons of the two when he was in the cantera.

The cantera hype happens although less now after what happened to Bojan, IMO. Certainly, Rafinha has had unfair levels of hype for a few seasons now while Deulofeu is the current most hyped player and he's getting promoted this summer. After him is Dongou who is already with the B team and then Samper who will be with the B team this coming season. But hype is more carefully managed now for fear of putting too much pressure on players.

It's difficult to gauge that part of his game (2 man midfield) because whenever I've seen him play it's been for Barca and the Spain NT (U/21 especially). They usually dominate possession quite a bit, so their midfielders are usually always on the front foot.

Based on what you're saying though - he should indeed by able to play next to someone like Carrick. A "Xavi" like role, but more direct, if you like. I do agree with you re Cesc/Thiago though. Nostalgia got in the way and Barca signed Fabregas, absolute quality that he is, without really needing him, espeically at that price.

The only other reason I could think of - was that maybe Pep wanted to incorporate a different (more direct) style into Barca's play, like a plan B? Hence signing someone like Fabregas made sense. It hasn't really worked out that way though.

I'd contend it's Cesc who is a great talent that doesn't really fit in anywhere for this team, not Thiago. Outstanding, in so many ways. I think all too often it's easy to slot this midfielder as a like for like replacement for another, all because they come from the same cantera. But Thiago is neither Iniesta nor Xavi (Nevermind the doe eyed Bambi that is Bojan), he is a CAM though. Fantastic vision, great skills, touch and passing combined with years of leadership and direct play. Few probably fail to recall his ascendency ahead of his promotion 2 seasons ago where he looked to be a world beater. I would've loved to have seen him these past 2 seasons without Cesc.

You don't become the Captain of the youth NTs by accident. If Brasil hadn't ignored him, I contend he'd be the Ronaldinho heir and commanding that midfield that is sorely lacking a maestro
I agree that he's different to Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets, maybe that's why I got the feeling he doesn't fit in. Barca should stop trying to rebuild the 09-11 midfield and just tweak the system to bring the best out of the new players. Like you said, Fabregas doesn't fit in, he's forced to play roles perfectly suited to other players instead of just playing to his strength. If Barca dosn't want to change that approach it will be difficult for him and probably for Thiago as well. He looks best suited to a CAM role, that doesn't exist in Barca's formation right now.

Oh and, I wouldn't read too much into being captain at youth NTs.
/edit: okay, you explained that above, maybe it's true. Still there's a huge difference between leading a youth team and being a leader in a european top team.

Unfortunately, Rafinha's hype is part of what Balu was alluding to in terms of the cantera. For me, Rafinha is promising but he's nowhere near the player Thiago is or can be.

The hype around younger brothers is always there, kinda weird really. Toni Kroos' younger brother Felix was known as the more talented one as well. I've read the same about Hazard's younger brother Thorgan but I haven't seen him play, so I don't know if there's any truth to it. Pretty sure there are more examples out there.

When you say local papers, do you mean Swiss papers or Catalan papers?

:D Catalan

I agree that he's different to Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets, maybe that's why I got the feeling he doesn't fit in. Barca should stop trying to rebuild the 09-11 midfield and just tweak the system to bring the best out of the new players. Like you said, Fabregas doesn't fit in, he's forced to play roles perfectly suited to other players instead of just playing to his strength. If Barca dosn't want to change that approach it will be difficult for him and probably for Thiago as well. He looks best suited to a CAM role, that doesn't exist in Barca's formation right now. Oh and, I wouldn't read too much into being captain at youth NTs.

You'll see this with Pep, he's a visionary. So yeah, I think Pep had envisioned the transformation of the team/tactics into a 3-4-3 but they lacked the personnel, ultimately, for it. Had he stayed on, I imagine that was where he would've gone or some variation of that. But adapting the tactics was definitely in the mix

Let the muppetry commence then!

He'd be class here. Didn't his dad hint say he wants to move on this summer anyway?

Daddy is a pain in the azz but yeah, he wanted him to either get more playing time or be moved. Thiago is not a bench player and, at the very least, should be getting more minutes than he has been. He went from playing over 2800 minutes in 2012 under Pep to 1800 under Tito - the lowest total in the squad for a returning 1st team player who wasn't constantly injured (Puyol).

As Drogs would say, it's a disgrace

Manchester United given huge nudge as Barca slap €25m target on the market

Mundo Deportivo's first four pages today are dedicated to Barcelona putting Thiago Alcantara, 22, on the market. The Catalan club apparently want rid and are prepared to sell him for just €25m, which by today's standards is a bargain. His buy-out clause is €90m but Barcelona are so keen to reduce the size of their squad, and raise funds for other deals, that they want a quick deal. He's one of several who are likely to be facing the exit but Mundo's insistence is perhaps the biggest splash on a player leaving so far.

10Xb9OS

Manchester United have been linked repeatedly over the last couple of years, with The Daily Mail perhaps having the most recent mainstream story which said that the Old Trafford club were leading the race for him. He's struggling to get a game at Barcelona and with new imports from La Masia he could even find himself usurped by younger players. Rafinha, his younger brother, could have a big future but the name on everyone's lips in Barcelona is Gerard Deulofeu and if he finally signs the contract he's had shoved in front of him repeatedly then he'll be fast-tracked.

From Thiago looking like the future of Barcelona, he's been pushed back somewhat and could miss out on Spain's World Cup squad for next year's tournament in Brazil. He's already friends with David De Gea (isn't everyone?!) from his days with Spain's U21 side and, according to Transfermarkt, he shares the same agency as Danny Welbeck. It's not an agency Manchester United have had issues with, which always helps.

Mundo explain that whilst Thiago was something of a favourite for Pep Guardiola, it's changed under Tito Vilanova. Tito prefers Cesc Fabregas and is determined to prove that he is the future of the club's midfield area, with the growing realisation that Xavi cannot continue forever.

David Moyes rocking up with his arm around Thiago Alcantara would be a good start at Manchester United and, if Mundo's huge spread is correct, then it's certainly possible - and all at a good price.
http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/...ven-huge-nudge-as-barca-slap-25m-target-on-th

Don't know about the Danny welbeck's agency thing, I thought that Danny was represented by his brothers?

You'll see this with Pep, he's a visionary. So yeah, I think Pep had envisioned the transformation of the team/tactics into a 3-4-3 but they lacked the personnel, ultimately, for it. Had he stayed on, I imagine that was where he would've gone or some variation of that. But adapting the tactics was definitely in the mix

I agree. That's why I'm happy with Pep taking over after this season. As great as Heynckes was - he did an incredible job in the past two years -, we need a few tweaks to make this team play on that level for more than just one season and Pep is imo the perfect coach to make that happen.

My muppet dream. Quite possibly the most talented youngster in the game at the moment. If signed now, and played next to Carrick, he'll probably become the best in the world in due time.

My muppet dream. Quite possibly the most talented youngster in the game at the moment. If signed now, and played next to Carrick, he'll probably become the best in the world in due time.

:lol: lets not get carried away. Rather we get Cesc

This is 07 all over again, we're going to announce Thiago and Isco on the same day

Status
Not open for further replies.