Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read Skywarden's post.

Fair enough. But there's a difference between using players like Keita to provide rest for the big guns - in less important matches - and successfully rotating a string of players like the one he has at his disposal now.

Just went on that Bayern site, their gif is shit compared to what our own Jeston and Olly create. If Thiago wants to sign for a team who's fans can't even make a decent enough tribute to him, then...

They'll probably quote this with a few laugh smileys as further evidence of the 'rag cafe' delusion.

They'll probably quote this with a few laugh smileys as further evidence of the 'rag cafe' delusion.

If they think a gif with Thiago putting on a pair of glasses is even remotely in the same league as the gifs in here, then they will be the delusional ones.

If they think a gif with Thiago putting on a pair of glasses is even remotely in the same league as the gifs in here, then they will be the delusional ones.

They can have Thiago, we win the gif war.

Yeah he played around ten games last year due to injury (correct me if I'm wrong).

We are getting more and more information the longer this saga continues. One thing I haven't seen be touched upon is the report about Bayern not allowing buy-back clauses. I posted this but none picked it up for discussion:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/thi...but-no-new-news.355208/page-368#post-13790709

This could be what is keeping the transfer to either of the interested clubs on hold.

Who the feck knows to be honest!

I remember Mexes demanding that he always started, if he were to sign for us in 2004 & Fergie told him he has to earn that right in his team & he subsequently signed for Roma. I would say Fergie wouldnt have a problem whatsoever, havin minutes on the pitch assurances (when fit) written into Thiago's contract, if that was the clincher. Some players are worth the risk, but if he goes to Bayern - they're complete dildo-scratchers for agreeing to that shite ;)

Sorry but in regards to Madrid, they have spent so much in the last decade and been less successful than us.

They may sign players but if they aren't winning as many trophies how can it be seen as a better model?

We have no idea why this deal has stalled. Conspiracies vary from Pere Guardiola being the problem to us trying to cut out any tax issues. It's not public business to know such intricacies.

in following their model i meant that we get a definite cast iron desire from the player before agreeing terms and then deal with the club with support from the said player. hazard, benzema, ozil and now Thiago, means the problem lies with us not closing deals, whereas the likes of madrid just pay up no questions asked, we have our kenyon style moments

Whatever the situation with Rosell, courting Thiago away is still hurting barcelona. Still fine with it? Or are you taking solace in the fact that Thiago was anyway going to go.

I blame Rosell, Tito & the board over Thiago...not Pep, nevermind United.

It's a tough series of events as a fan of the club. Losing Thiago hurts but the war that is officially on now within the club is going to be a problem going forward on multiple levels

I blame Rosell, Tito & the board over Thiago...not Pep, nevermind United.

It's a tough series of events as a fan of the club. Losing Thiago hurts but the war that is officially on now within the club is going to be a problem going forward on multiple levels

A pissed off Barca with Neymar and possibly a greatlly improved central defense will be immense next season, a Mourinhio-less Real will struggle even with ronaldo, and CL will be interesting.

I am certain that we didn't get the deal done because of that clause. I said at the time that I didn't believe we'd be interested in those sort of agreements. Talks between us and his camp probably ended as soon as he insisted on that clause.

I really, really hope that's not the case. It would be monumentally stupid.

Who the feck knows to be honest!

I remember Mexes demanding that he always started, if he were to sign for us in 2004 & Fergie told him he has to earn that right in his team & he subsequently signed for Roma. I would say Fergie wouldnt have a problem whatsoever, havin minutes on the pitch assurances (when fit) written into Thiago's contract, if that was the clincher. Some players are worth the risk, but if he goes to Bayern - they're complete dildo-scratchers for agreeing to that shite ;)

Thankfully we didn't have to endure his presence at OT. Average at best.

I am certain that we didn't get the deal done because of that clause. I said at the time that I didn't believe we'd be interested in those sort of agreements. Talks between us and his camp probably ended as soon as he insisted on that clause.

Someone else posted earlier that Bayern refuse those clauses. Maybe Pep has given him a verbal guarantee and that's enough, who knows. But he had the Barça clause put in when Pep was the manager so I don't see why he wouldn't want one now.

I really, really hope that's not the case. It would be monumentally stupid.

We're a club that values principles, its the reason we saw a world class prospect in Pogba leave for nothing.

On the one hand, it's frustrating as hell to miss out on players because we don't budge on these issues. On thenother, I do agree with the idea that we only want to bring players here that want to play for Manchester United, and don't have other motives for coming.

Thursday: he's going to United only a matter of time

Friday: always was going to Bayern Munich. It's only a matter of time

I pass this back to you. What reliable source says we were in? So far I've seen Moyes say he's never said we were in. Everything else is twatter and rehashed junk.

If we're not in for him, then that would be the biggest wind-up of all time on the Caf :lol:

Also, sure Fergie's been chasing him for about 3 or more years too. Thats well documented, even Fergie said it himself on more than one occasion (especially before he signed his present deal with Barca), so why wouldnt we be going for him now?

No-one convincingly has been connected to signing Thiago other than us, and now Bayern, which leads to believe that he was only open to a move to United at first & any other enquiry was informed of that. I havent even heard City or Chelsea being mentioned either, which doesnt make any sense, given his quality, price (with the complications) & potential worlds best mid-fielder status in a couple of years. So all roads lead to us.. and now we have feckin Bayern feckin with our shit.. they maybe havent got over the Hargreaves pursuit :lol:

No-one's mentioned the possibility that maybe Bayern are doing a Chelsea & stockpiling footballers so their rivals cant get them. God forbid us gettin the missing link in mid-field that could get us over the line in Europe for many years to come. Its obvious they dont need Thiago, but of course what club wouldnt want him either.

Someone else posted earlier that Bayern refuse those clauses. Maybe Pep has given him a verbal guarantee and that's enough, who knows. But he had the Barça clause put in when Pep was the manager so I don't see why he wouldn't want one now.

Mostother clubs will bend over backwards to bring in players, Bayern may be one of them. But the difference is that Thiago knows Pep will play him. Coming here is a bit of an unknown for Thiago, he may have even seen what happened with Pogba.

Mostother clubs will bend over backwards to bring in players, Bayern may be one of them. But the difference is that Thiago knows Pep will play him. Coming here is a bit of an unknown for Thiago, he may have even seen what happened with Pogba.

The Pogba affair is hardly a fair comparison though is it?

For someone leaving to get more first team football it would seem an odd choice. Firstly to play under a man up until last season was responsible for limiting his first team opportunities. Secondly to play in a team where his role has already been predetermined as a 'jack of all trades' one. Slotting in here, playing there, filling in for this, covering for that. It seems as if signing for Bayern his main usage will be to fill-in whenever someone first choice is rested or injured. Given how he wants to go to get regular football and in a regular position (presumably) it would seem strange to me if he went somewhere the manager has already said in a round about way 'He can play anywhere.'

All that's without even considering the level of competition he has.

The Pogba affair is hardly a fair comparison though is it?

Pogba was a lot younger, obviously. But I doubt Thiago would know the in's and out's of the situation. All he'll know is that we never played him and he instantly became a starter at Juve. That's if he is even aware of the situation, but I'm sure Pep would have pointed this out to him at some stage in convincing him to pick Bayern.

We're a club that values principles, its the reason we saw a world class prospect in Pogba leave for nothing.

On the one hand, it's frustrating as hell to miss out on players because we don't budge on these issues. On thenother, I do agree with the idea that we only want to bring players here that want to play for Manchester United, and don't have other motives for coming.

We should value the principle that says a football club should play with central midfielders in central midfield.

Seriously, that clause would have been nothing: if he's good enough, he would have played the required amount of games anyway. If he doesn't turn out to be good enough, then why does it matter if he can leave for a set price?

For someone leaving to get more first team football it would seem an odd choice. Firstly to play under a man up until last season was responsible for limiting his first team opportunities. Secondly to play in a team where his role has already been predetermined as a 'jack of all trades' one. Slotting in here, playing there, filling in for this, covering for that. It seems as if signing for Bayern his main usage will be to fill-in whenever someone first choice is rested or injured. Given how he wants to go to get regular football and in a regular position (presumably) it would seem strange to me if he went somewhere the manager has already said in a round about way 'He can play anywhere.'

All that's without even considering the level of competition he has.
Remember i promised to buy a shirt and have

Thiago
---7---
Stickles

on it if he comes here? I stand by that.

We should value the principle that says a football club should play with central midfielders in central midfield.

Seriously, that clause would have been nothing: if he's good enough, he would have played the required amount of games anyway. If he doesn't turn out to be good enough, then why does it matter if he can leave for a set price?

You can understand why we'd be apprehensive of allowing the clause though surely? It opens up a pandoras box of problems for us in the future with the precedence it sets.

Pogba is completely different. He could look at DDG and take heart from the fact that even when he had more difficult moments we supported him and look at him now. Cristiano. Rooney. Young players who came here and flourished. Piqué is the exception but we had world class players ahead of him, in our current midfield there is no such obstacle, he can walk right into it.

I agree with you on the Pep factor though. I think reassurance from Pep was probably all he needed.

I was interested to hear Pep's "I went away to learn English and ended up learning German" comments. I wonder if he had Chelsea in mind. He'd be crazy if he did imo, lucky escape. He met Fergie before Xmas didn't he? City could have been on the radar too I suppose seeing as they're hiring all ex-Barça staff. (Apologies for going off on a tangent)

Well then we're a bunch of arrogant knobs if thats the case. Look at our mid-field - he'd walk into it, the clause would never have been a problem!

You can understand why we'd be apprehensive of allowing the clause though surely? It opens up a pandoras box of problems for us in the future with the precedence it sets.

What precedent? That we'd allow an unhappy benchwarmer to leave for 20M, or whatever?

If this deal failed because of that clause, then we really are stupid. I hope that he simply refused us and wanted to go in Bayern to play under Pep.

If this deal failed because of that clause, then we really are stupid.

Not necessarily imo. There would be a real precedent set in allowing such as clause in a player's contract and I'm sure United wouldn't enter into such an agreement lightly. If the club has decided that they don't want to entertain contractual demands for game time then I find it a little presumptuous to call them stupid outright; it's a contentious issue that needs exploring more deeply before jumping to conclusions one way or another I believe. It doesn't matter who the player is; if the club decides on principle that these clauses are something they won't abide by then that's the end of it. It could yet prove to be an excellent decision.

I'm not a fan of these release clauses.

Can you imagine for example we'da spent £22m on Nani, and he says he can leave for £5m if he doesn't play X amount of games. He then has one of his trademark runs where he plays like absolute dogshit so is dropped.

Now we could be forced to sell him, rather than letting him get back into form and winning his way back into the team.

If you're good enough, you play. If you're not/if you're playing like shite, you get dropped. Too much player power with these clauses.

I'm not a fan of these release clauses.

Can you imagine for example we'da spent £22m on Nani, and he says he can leave for £5m if he doesn't play X amount of games. He then has one of his trademark runs where he plays like absolute dogshit so is dropped.

Now we could be forced to sell him, rather than letting him get back into form and winning his way back into the team.

If you're good enough, you play. If you're not/if you're playing like shite, you get dropped. Too much player power with these clauses.

Why would we write a 5m release clause into a contract for a player who cost 22m?

Status
Not open for further replies.